Match Reports Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th March

Wednesday 14th

Charlie O Donnell Cup Quarter Final 

Glengad United                 2

Moville Celtic                     0

Glengad with the wind dominated the majority of the first half but failed to get past Ryan Coyle in the Moville goal.  Coyle made fine saves to deny Seamus Doherty and Stephen McLaughlin.

Moville had a good  chance before the break when Norbert Indyka unleashed an effort from sixteen yards which Kevin McLaughlin saved low to his right as the half ended scoreless. The second half followed a similar pattern with Glengad on top but Moville defending well. The deadlock was broken on 68 minutes when John G McLaughlin fed Seamus Doherty on the left and he cut in before firing a left footed effort to the top corner from the edge of the area. They sealed the tie on 77 minutes when McLaughlin broke from midfield past three men before being upended in the area and Adam Byrne fired low to the right hand corner.Moville tried hard but Glengad saw the game out to advance to the  semi finals.

17th /18th March  2018

Buncrana Credit Union Cup 1st Round

Greencastle FC                              4

Clonmany Shamrocks                  0

The first chance of the game fell to the home side when a Shaun Doherty corner found Sean Mckinney whose powerful header was well saved by Patrick Harkin. But Greencastle took the lead on 7 minutes when Jamie McCormick released Conor Gillen who controlled well and from the  edge of the area fired low past Harkin. Minutes later a Christy Hegarty effort was well saved by Harkin. At the other end Mark McLaughlin cut inside and saw his effort well saved by Dillon Doherty in the home goal. A long kick out by Doherty was then picked up by Hegarty but again Harkin was equal to his effort. Clonmany had a good chance to level when a Paddy Doherty effort was well saved by Doherty who recovered to save Jason Devlin’s follow up. Minutes later McLaughlin was denied by the legs of Doherty and then  his follow up was also saved by Doherty. Greencastle hit back and when Stephen Grant crossed to Hegarty his effort crashed off the outside of the post. Just before the break Grant robbed a home defender and fed Gillen who released Hegarty and he turned and slotted home from  eight yards to leave the home side two ahead at the interval. Clonmany had the first chance of the second period when Aaron Harkin had an effort well saved by Doherty. Greencastle were then awarded a penalty after a trip on Matthew Henry and McCormick stepped up to drill low into the bottom left hand corner. Minutes later Hegarty was clear in a one on one but Harkin made an excellent save. Midway through the half Clonmany’s Mclaughlin had a good effort just wide before a Ferghal Harkin free came off the wall to Jason Doherty who fired wide from the edge of the area. At the other end Matthew Henry got onto a long ball but failed to hit the target. Clonmany then spurned a great chance when Steve Harkin beat the offside trap to race clear but Doherty made a superb save. On 83 minutes Shaun Doherty fed Grant who crossed for Henry but again he fired just wide. Greencastle sealed the win after Henry beat two men and crossed for Hegarty to control and fire low past Harkin.

Glengad United                 4         

Dunree United                   0                                  AET

In cold but dry conditions there was little in the first half but the visitors had the first chance on 15 minutes after an Evan Barry free kick found Shane Mulhern but from ten yards he blazed over the bar. Glengad replied and Stephen McLaughlin’s twenty five yards free kick was palmed round the post by Cathal McNutt. Glengad dominated possession after this and on 35 minutes John G McDermott found Seamus Doherty who cut inside but fired wide from fifteen yards. The best chance of the half came on 40 minutes when McLaughlin’s corner was headed clear by Ryan Bradley to Shane Canning  but his effort crashed off the bar. Dunree had the first chance of the second half also when Liam Baldrick played a through ball into Tommy Doherty who raced clear but fired wide. On 55 minutes the home side replied when a James McKinney cross found Seamus Doherty but he headed wide from six yards.  Midway through the half a Canning cross found Patrick McDermott but his first time effort was well saved by McNutt and when the rebound fell to John G McDermott his effort came back off the bar. Glengad spurned another great chance when Jason Doherty’s cross fell to Christy McLaughlin on the edge of the area and his effort also crashed off the bar. Then in the closing minutes

Michael Byrne fed Patrick McDermott but he fired just wide from inside the area as the game ended scoreless. Glengad broke the deadlock four minutes into the first period when Christy McLaughlin cut in and saw his effort take a deflection on its way past McNutt. Minutes later McLaughlin went close again with a twenty five yards effort which crashed off the bar. Glengad ran riot then and increased their lead when Patrick McDermott fired a superb twenty five yards effort to the top corner. The same player added a third when Mclaughlin crossed for McDermott to slot home from close range. On the stroke of half time John G McDermott unleashed a stunning thirty yards effort to the top corner. The second period was a tame affair with Glengad happy to control possession and they advance to the quarter finals.

Buncrana Hearts               4

Carn FC                                 1

In dry but cold conditions on Saturday morning  the home side started well when great work by Stephen McHugh saw him pick out Kieran McDaid but his effort was saved by Kyle Dougal on eight minutes.  McDaid made amends minutes later when he dribbled past four defenders before slotting low past Dougal from twelve yards. The hearts increased their lead on 18 minutes after Shane Dillon fired a superb free kick low into the bottom corner from twenty five yards. McHugh then turned a defender and crossed for Michael Coyle to head home the third on 27 minutes. Carn tried to reply with Cade Cooke beating two men but seeing his effort well saved by Eoghan O Doherty. But Buncrana made it four nil before the break from the penalty spot when McDaid fired home after McHugh had been upended.Carn started the second period well and reduced the deficit on 51 minutes when Joe McKinney  intercepted a pass and fired to the top corner from twenty yards. Carn continued to press and forced a number of corners which resulted in a Michael O Donnell header well saved by  O’ Doherty. Buncrana ended the game strongly and Oisin O Flaherty fired wide from seven yards when he shoud have done better before in the final chance O’Flaherty fed Bart Wesoloski but his effort crashed back off the post.



Rasheney FC           0

Illies Celtic              0  ( win 4.3 in sudden death penalties)         AET

On 5 minutes the visitors Adrian Donaghey Doherty advanced into the area but Conor O Neill came across to avert the danger. On 20 minutes Donaghey-Doherty had two efforts both well dealt with by Sean Friel in quick succession.

Midway through the half the home side responded when a sliced clearance by an Illies defender and dropped into the side netting. Then on the half hour a Paddy McGilloway cross found Anthony Doherty who headed over when well placed.  Illies replied with Paddy Doherty spraying a fine pass to Gavin Doherty but he failed to hit the target. Minutes before the interval a long range Damien Friel effort  was easily gathered by Johnathan Noone. Illies had the upper hand in terms of possession but the first chance did not arrive until 70 minutes when Liam Grant turned well and unleashed a twenty yards effort which was held by Friel. Then substitute John Campbell poked a close range effort past Friel but into the side netting and Paddy Doherty had an effort from distance saved by

Friel.  On 88 minutes Doherty then found himself in behind the home defence but rolled the ball wide from eight yards in the best chance of the game. In extra time Rasheney ‘s Declan McLaughlin had a good cross shot palmed away by Noone before in the follow up Michael Doherty had a powerful effort well saved by Noone. Before the interval Campbell broke on the left and crossed to Grant who looked destined to score but missed the ball altogether. Paddy Doherty collected the clearance but blazed over. There was little by way of chance in the second period and so the penalty shoot out ensued.  Illies won four three in the sudden death shootout despite the home side having a chance to win with the last penalty.

Moville Celtic         1

Culdaff FC                2

Moville started brightly with Ryan McColgan beating  the offside but the advancing Daniel Mullarkey blocked his effort. Tony Boyce then had a good chance when he burst through but failed to connect with the ball. Culdaff replied with Brendan Mclaughlin flicking on a corner which Ryan Coyle held before he blasted over from 12 yards on 15 minutes. Moville took the lead when a Ryan Killen free was misjudged by Mullarkey and McColgan headed into the empty net. Boyce then broke clear on 38 minutes but failed to hit the target.  In the second half the visitors went close when McLaughlin flicked on a  corner for Dillon Ruddy who just failed to connect at the back post. Minutes later McLaughlin curled an effort just past the far post. Culdaff equalised when Eugene McLaughlin pounced on a clearance to drill a shot which took a huge deflection to loop up over the stranded Coyle. Minutes later a Michael Coyle cross also deflected off a defender but keeper Coyle reacted well to grab the ball. Darren Mullarkey then spurned a good chance for the visitors when he fired across goal and wide. On 82 minutes the visitors were reduced to ten men when Dillon Ruddy was red carded for two bookings. Two minutes later Culdaff took the lead when a floated free kick from the right by McLaughlin went all the way to the net. They almost added a third on 88 minutes when substitute Aiden Cunningham saw his header cleared off the line by Jack Ferry.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup Quarter Final

Aileach FC                4

Cockhill Youths      2

The home side blitzed their opponents in the opening quarter and opened the scoring on 7 minutes after a speculative thirty yards Darren Gallagher effort flew past Declan Caldwell in the Cockhill goal. Five minutes later a Gavin Doherty corner was slotted home from close range at the near post by Killian O Rourke to double their advantage. It then became three nil on 17 minutes when Darren McMonagle converted a penalty after Dermot Doherty had been upended. Cockhill got a goal back midway through the half after  Marty Doherty found space inside the home penalty area to square for Eoin Deery to slot home. But the home side regained their three goal cushion on 37 minutes

When Dermot Doherty turned well inside the area and fired to the top corner from twelve yards. There was little in the opening period  of the second half with the home side content to sit back and absorb the pressure. But midway through the half the visitors got a goal back when Mark McDaid robbed keeper David McGeady and hooked the ball home from a tight angle. On 86 minutes Michael Owen Doherty had a good effort tipped over  by McGeady and from the resulting corner Doherty’s header was well tipped over by McGeady as the home side advance to another semi final.

Strand Hotel First Division  

Redcastle United              2

Aileach Res                        0

In bitterly cold conditions the home side were the first to show when Conor McNamee was unlucky to see his well hit effort from the edge of the area rebound off the post on seven minutes. Midway through the half they went close again after a Brendan Murphy effort flew just over the bar. Just before the break Aileach responded and Ruairi Bradley fired just wide from the edge of the area.          Redcastle broke the deadlock on 47 minutes when McNamee ran from half way past a couple of defenders before shooting high past Ciaran Bradley who got his hands to the ball but could not prevent it going in.

They increased their lead then when Shaun Curran scored direct from a corner. Aileach ‘s chances were dealt  a severe blow when they were reduced to ten men after Simon O Donnell was sent off for dissent.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    A    

Culdaff Res              2

Moville Res             1

Played in good but cold conditions on Thursday night the home side got off to a dream start after Matt McDaid played a superb through ball into the path of Aiden Cunningham who neatly fired low to the bottom corner. Moville responded and went close on 15 minutes when a Conor Lafferty effort flashed just past the post. Midway through the half Cunningham dispossessed a defender and rounded keeper Puaric Carey-Doherty but over ran the ball for a goal kick. On 37 minutes the visitors Adam Harkin beat a defender and sent an effort destined for the top corner but Martin McLaughlin in the home goal pulled off a top class save. Before the break the visitors forced a number of corners but the home defence dealt capably with them. Culdaff started the second half well and increased their lead after Cathal McGrenaghan beat two defenders before hammering low to the bottom corner from twelve yards.Five minutes later the same player got on the end of a Joe O Connor cross but failed to make a strong enough connection. Moville then had a good spell with Colm Doherty firing across goal but there were no takers before the same player was denied by a fine double save by McLaughlin. Moville got a goal back on 66 minutes when Jack Ferry collected a clearance from a corner and returned the ball into the danger area where Ryan McColgan was on hand to slot home from six yards. Cunningham then had a good chance when he broke clear of the visitors defence but hesitated and the chance was lost. Moville pushed hard in the last ten minutes but the home side held on to claim the points.

Aileach Youths                   8

Cockhill Res                        1

Both teams started cautiously with the opening exchanges a midfield battle.  Aileach took the lead on 20 minutes when Benny Hegarty cut inside from the left wing and squeezed a shot between Ryan Fitzpatrick, in the Cockhill goal and the near post.  On the half hour, Cockhill drew level when a perfectly weighted through ball sent Ryan Mallet clear and he placed the ball into the bottom corner past Ryan Fox.  Play way end to end at this stage and Aileach regained the lead five minutes before half time when Pól McGrory sent Paddy Curran down the right wing and his cross was controlled by Stephen Doherty before he fired into the bottom corner.  Cockhill were unfortunate not to level before half time when a shot was deflected into the path of Gary Breslin who shot across Fox but the ball stuck the base of the post and back into the grateful arms of the home keeper.  Aileach upped the pace after the break and got their reward on 50 minutes when Killian O’Rourke fired a corner into the box where Doherty headed home from six yards.  Aileach made it 4-1 minutes later when O’Rourke’s fierce corner was deflected past his own keeper by an unfortunate defender.  Another goal followed minutes later when Curran raced clear and set up Stephen Doherty who controlled and slid the ball past Fitzpatrick for his hat-trick.  On 65 minutes, Curran got the goal his play deserved when he raced clear and rounded the keeper.  Curran got his second minutes later when he fired home from the edge of the box.  Aaron Doherty then fired a free kick from 30 yards against the bar.  Stephen Doherty scored his fourth and Aileach’s eighth when he controlled a kick out from the keeper before shooting into the top corner from 40 yards for the goal of the game.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B            

Dunree Res                  0

Greencastle Res         4

The first period of the game was an even affair with n chances and both defences well on top. But the league leaders Greencastle took the lead on the stroke of half time when Darragh Gillen headed past Roger McGilloway after a good cross from Conor Gillen on the right. Dunree tried hard to reply but Eamon Fullerton had an effort well saved by Dillon Doherty. The visitors increased their lead when Darragh Gillen raced onto a long ball over the top and slotted past McGilloway from fifteen yards.  The same player completed his hat trick after he raced onto a long ball and this time rounded McGilloway to slot home. On 81 minutes Tom Heuston blasted a penalty straight down the middle after a foul in the area. At the end Dunree were denied a consolation when Doherty saved a Paddy Toland effort.

Carn Res                   2

Rasheney Res         2

In very cold but dry conditions the spoils were shared at St Patricks Park.

The home side had the first chance on 4 minutes  when Kevin McLaughlin fed cade Cooke but he fired over from ten yards. At the other end Nathan McConalogue found Mark Gilmore who laid the ball to Paul McConalogue but his effort was well saved by Dean Mason. Carn had another chance after a Cooke cross found brother Dylan but he fired just wide  from the penalty spot. The home side broke the deadlock when McLauglin released Cade Cooke who squared for Dylan Cooke to slot low to the corner from twelve yards. Midway through the half Dayton Cooke released McDermott on the left and his cross was met by Conor Doherty but he failed to hit the target when well placed. Rasheney responded with John Doherty splitting the home defence for Jack McLaughlin but with only Mason to beat he fired wide. Then on 33 minutes Tiernan Devine fed McConalogue  but from close range he fired wide. Carn hit back minutes later and Michael McDermott  wasted a good chance. Rasheney had the first chance of the second period after Gilmore found McConalogue but again his effort did not trouble Mason. On 56 minutes Rasheney replied and equalised when a McConalogue effort was well parried by Mason but McLaughlin reacted first to slot home from close range. Carn were reduced to ten men when Calvin O Donnell was redcarded and Rasheney took advantage when  Nathan McConalogue released jack Mclaughlin who cut inside and fired a powerful effort from twenty yards into the bottom corner. But the home side equalised on 77 minutes when a  Cade Cooke cross was superbly headed to the top corner by Michael McDermott. Carn had another chance when Cade Cooke fed substitute Niall McGuinness but he fired inches wide from ten yards.

Carrowmena FC                 4

Illies Res                              1

Carrowmena kept up their pursuit of leaders Greencastle with a comprehensive five one victory over Illies at the warren.            In a very poor first half the home side stood firm against the visitors who had the wind advantage with Shane Devlin and Seamus Donaghy prominent. Carrowmena had a chance midway through the half after Aiden Mclaughlin beat a defender and rounded Kevin Gallagher but from a tight angle his effort came off the post. Then Dean McGeoghaghan fed Mclaughlin but his attempted lob drifted wide. Five minutes after the restart Illies Caolan Whoriskey advanced and unleashed a thirty yards effort to the roof of the net. This stung the home side into  a response and thy equalised on 55 minutes when a Mark Doherty effort from the edge of the area took a deflection on its way past Gallagher. The home side went ahead when a defensive mix up allowed Finbar McCallion to slot home from six yards. They increased their lead when Mclaughlin fed Samuel Bredin who hammered high past Gallagher from ten yards. Carrowmena were well on top at this stage and increased their lead when Raymond Campbell advanced from midfield to fire a superb effort into the top corner from twenty yards.