Match Reports Good Friday & Easter Sunday

Good Friday 29th March  2018

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana Hearts               5

QPS                                   1

Buncrana started well and took the lead on 5 minutes when Aaron McColgan interceped a clearance from Oisin Burke in the point goal and drilled low into the net.

Gerard Boyle then spurned a good chance for the home side but made amends when he got on the end of McColgans cross to head past Burke. They continued to press and when Kevin O Loughlin released Shane Dillon he fired straight at Burke from point blank range. On the half hour number three arrived after a superb cross from Dillon found the unmarked Boyle to head home. A superb delivery from a corner by McColgan found Michael Coyle and he headed home to make it four nil. From the kick off the point attacked and  Josh Boyle capitalised on hesitant defending to drill home and reduce the deficit before the break. Buncrana had the first chance of the second period when a John Timlin free kick found Boyle who fired wide when well placed. Midway through the half they added a fifth when James McGonagle fired to the top corner  from twenty yards. They went close  again when Eoin Murphy unleashed a fine effort  which crashed off the bar. After this the game fizzled out as the home side collected another three points.

Greencastle FC                  3

Clonmany Shamrocks      2

The home side staged a tremendous fight back when they came from two goals down to win by the odd goal in five. After 21 minutes Mark Mclaughlin released Paddy Doherty who fired low past Dillon Doherty who picked up a knock to the face and had to be replaced by Christy Hegarty. Clonmany increased their lead when Doherty got behind the home defence and slotted home from inside the area. But Greencastle came out firing after the break and got a goal back when substitute Shaun Doherty played a fine through ball to Nigel McMonagle who placed the ball low past Paddy Harkin and into the corner. They got back on terms on 77 minutes when after good passing Doherty again threaded another fine pass into McMonagle and he again finished superbly. They struck for the winner on 84 minutes after substitute Conor Gillen pounced to drill home on the half volley after a corner broke to  him inside the area.

Strand Hotel First Division      

Cockhill Youths                  2

Redcastle United              4

Played in Maginn Park Cockhill stunned Redcastle in the early exchanges and took the lead on 12 minutes after Eoin Deery collected the ball twenty five yards out, turned and fired a stunning effort to the roof of the net past Michael McCole. It got even better on 20 minutes when Shaun Donaghey converted a penalty low to the left  after Mark Mcdaid had been upended. McCole then saved superbly to deny Keegan Hegarty and prevent his side from falling further behind.  Redcastle rallied and got a goal back when a deep cross from the left by Ethan Canning found Denim McLaughlin at the back post and he headed to the roof of the net. They got back on terms minutes before the interval when Brendan Murphy fed Aaron Nash and he fired low past Declan Caldwell from sixteen yards. After an even opening to the second period Nah fired Redcastle ahead after 66 minutes to complete the comeback. They added a fourth when James Curran unmarked head home at the near post after a corner. Cockhill pushed forward at this stage and  both Nash and Murphy spurned chances. Cockhill had a late chance when Adam Mclaughlin crossed but McDaid blazed over.

Dunree United                   6

Rasheney FC                       1

This was a comprehensive victory for the home side but it was Rasheney who took the lead on 16 minutes after a  Damien Friel free kick came of the head of a defender and past James Doherty in the Dunree goal. Dunree got back on terms on the half hour when Sean Mulhern played a fine through ball to Darryl Moran and he finished low past Sean Friel  from the edge of the area. Dunree started the second half well and took the lead on 48 minutes after Philip McGuinness flicked the ball over the top for Moran to run on finish past Friel from eight yards. Six minutes later they scored again when McGuinness crossed from the left for Evan Barry to sneak in and slot home at the back post. On the hour another McGuinness cross found Liam Baldrick to side foot home from ten yards. Baldrick then got another when he pounced on a loose ball inside the area to fire low to the corner. And they completed the scoring with the goal of the game after Bernie Doherty laid the ball off to William Doherty who fired low to the bottom corner from twenty five yards.

Easter Sunday   April   1st

Buncrana Credit Union Cup  

Culdaff FC                            1

QPS                                        2

In a major shock Sean McCabe’s relegated QPS side battled to a hard earned win over the home side who will be disappointed with their performance. The visitors took a shock lead on 3 minutes when a Conor Barrow inswinging  corner fell in under the bar at the near post despite the best efforts of Martin McLaughlin in the home goal.Culdaff replied and Aiden Cunningham failed headed straight at Liam Lyons when well placed. On 25 minutes the home side equalised after a flowing move on the left ended with Darren Mullarkey finding Michael Coyle who drilled low to the net from the edge of the area.Minutes later Brendan McLaughlin headed over after Coyle had volleyed across goal. Both Mclaughlin and Cunningham then had efforts blocked before a Dillon Ruddy effort was well held by Lyons.  Culdaff had the first chance of the second period also when an inswinging cross from the left by Ruddy eluded all but Lyons made a superb save diving to his left at the last minute. The point then had a good spell with Josh Boyle taking a good save from McLaughlin. John McCloskey was then denied by a brilliant JJ Doherty tackle before Brian McColgan found himself one on one with McLaughlin but Dermot Diver cleared. Culdaff pressed again and from a corner a Ruddy effort was cleared off the line  before Mclaughlin poked past Lyons but just wide after a ball over the top. On 70 minutes with the home defence appealing for offside the unmarked Boyle fired low past McLaughlin to restore their lead. Culdaff laid siege  to the point goal after this with Ruddy having two free kicks from distance tipped over by Lyons, Diver heading wide from close range and a viscious inswinging corner by Mclaughlin brilliantly punched clear by Lyons. The home side s cause as not helped when Ruddy was red carded for dissent and the point defended stoutly to advance to the semi finals.

Illies   Celtic                         1

Glengad United                 3

After a close opening period the home side stunned the champions when on 21 minutes Adrian Donaghey Doherty beat two defenders and pulled back for Dominic Coyle to fire high past Kevin McLaughlin from twelve yards. Glengad replied and had a great chance when Christy McLaughlin beat a defender and unleashed a great effort which crashed off the post. At the other end Adrian Donaghey Doherty found Paddy Doherty but his effort was brilliantly tipped over by Kevin McLaughlin. On the stroke of half time Glengads Seamus Doherty broke into the box but fired straight at Johnathan Noone. Seven minutes into the second period Glengad equalised after Michael Byrne fed Seamus Doherty who sidestepped a defender and fired low past Noone. Ten minutes later after a scramble in the area an Adam Byrne effort crashed off the post to Michael Byrne who slammed the ball home. Glengad added a third when Stephen McLaughlin beat four men and pulled the ball back to James McKinney who drilled a brilliant effort to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Illies had a late chance when  Donaghey Doherty robbed a defender but fired poorly at McLaughlin. In the final minute Noone made a superb save with his feet to deny Cathal McDaid.

Greencastle FC                  4

Buncrana Hearts               1

This was an excellent result for the home side as they advance to another semi final. They began well and took the lead when Shaun Doherty converted a penalty awarded after  Nigel McMonagle had been upended. Buncrana replied and were also awarded a penalty but Kieran Mc Daids spot kick was brilliantly parried by Dillon Doherty  and McDaid’s follow up sailed over the bar. Greencastle then punished them with a second goal before the interval after McMonagle fired a stunning effort to the top corner past Eoghan O Doherty.Buncrana got a goal back after the restart when Ryan Curran threaded a through ball to McDaid who this time rounded Doherty and slotted home. But the home side hit back on the hour mark and when Doherty found McMonagle  who again finished superbly from the edge of the area. They sealed the tie with a fourth goal which saw McMonagle complete his hat trick when a long ball from Michael Barr found the diminutive striker and he beat a defender before finishing superbly past O Doherty.

Strand Hotel First Division      

Rasheney FC                       5

Gleneely Colts                   2

This was the proverbial game of two halves as the colts lead two nil at the break but the home side came storming back in the second period. Rasheney started well and a dipping twenty five yards effort from Conor O’Neill drifted just over. The colts replied when Nathan McLaughlin released Cory O’ Brien on the right but from a tight angle he fired into the side netting. Rasheney responded and John Grant fired over before Anthony Doherty had a close range effort rebound off the post. Then Damien Friel had a free kick well held by Brian Houghton. The colts broke the deadlock on 24 minutes when McLaughlin fed Evan O Brien and his cross was swept home at the back post by brother Cory. They increased their lead on 33minutes after Joe McLaughlin fed Nathan McLaughlin and he cut inside before squeezing the ball low past the advancing Sean Friel. The colts again went close before the break but Paul Gamble fired just wide from a free on the edge of the area. Rasheney started the comeback on 56 minutes when Charlie Doherty ‘s cross was controlled by Matthew Mclaughlin who played a reverse pass to the unmarked Damien Friel who slotted home. They got back on terms on 71minutes when Emyln Doherty advanced unchallenged from half way and unleashed a low effort from twenty five yards to the bottom corner. Two minutes later they completed the turnaround with Grant crossing for Anthony Doherty to loop a header over Houghton to the net.  They sealed the points then on 83 minutes after a David McLaughlin cross found Brendan Doherty whose initial effort was parried by Houghton but Doherty followed up to fire home from close range. Rasheney completed the scoring when Doherty released Mclaughlin on the right and he fired a low effort across Houghton to the far corner.

Buncrana Res                     0

Moville Celtic                     2

Moville came into this match needing a result to keep them in with a chance of promotion to the Premier League and they showed their intent early on when Ryan Mc Colgan’s attempt to lob Hearts keeper O’ Doherty went tantalizingly over the bar. Hearts weathered the early Moville pressure and in the twenty second minute good link up play between Michael Doherty and Eoin Murphy set Paul Mc Daid free and he shot narrowly wide. Shortly after this Hearts’ Harry Foreshaw saw his goal bound shot deflected wide for a corner. Moville responded and Ethan Harkin saw his shot turned round the post by Hearts’ keeper O’ Doherty. The resultant corner saw Moville take the lead when Jack Ferry stabbed home from close range.

The second half started with Moville still in the ascendancy and should have added to their score only for a couple of saves by substitute Hearts’ keeper Paul Mc Daid. But he could not prevent Moville adding a second when Michael Mc Naught found acres of space in the penalty box and all he had to do was pick his spot. Moville inexplicably sat back in the last ten minutes and allowed Hearts to create some pressure and nearly paid the price when both Michael Doherty and Harry Foreshaw were both denied by excellent saves from Moville’s keeper Ryan Coyle.

So Moville and Aileach Reserves now play each other in their final match with second place in Division One on the line.

Clonmany Res                    2

Dunree United                   2

Played in bright sunshine the home side got off to a flying start when Pearse McCarron fired them ahead on 4 minutes after Conor Bradley won possession and fed Nathan McKinney who crossed for McCarron to fire past James Doherty from twelve yards. On 28 minutes a Philip McGuinness corner found Liam Baldrick but his header was well saved low to his left by Fergal Bradley. McGuinness then broke on 43 minutes and found Evan Barry whose effort flew inches past the post. Five minutes after the restart Dunree levelled  McGuinness ran past a number of challenges before unleashing a dipping effort from sixteen yards to the top corner. Clonmany regained the lead on 68 minutes after a McKinney corner came off the back post to Jake Harkin to force the ball over the line. Dunree equalised on 89 minutes when a McGuinness corner found Baldrick who flicked on for Barry to poke home from six yards and salvage a point.


Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A            

Cockhill Res             

Glengad Res             1

Cockhill started the better when Keegan Hegarty ran onto a ball over the top

But his effort landed on the roof of the net. The same player then flashed an effort just wide from the edge of the area. Glengad replied and Gary Kelly had a twenty yards effort saved by Ryan Fitzpatrick. Lee Kelly  then advanced from defence and fed Gary Kelly on the right and he crossed for PJ McDaid to head home at the back post on 34minutes. Gary Kelly then pounced on a poor back pass but drove just wide. Cockhill had the final chance of the half but Gary Breslin fired narrowly over from twenty two yards. Glengad increased their lead when  a corner fell to Gary Kelly who fired home from close range.Gary Kelly intercepted a clearance and fired home from six yards on the hour mark. They added a fourth  when Lee Kelly fed Shane Devlin who chipped Fitzpatrick from twenty yards. Cockhill got a late consolation when a deep cross from Odhran O Brien-Daly was flicked home by Mark McDaid from close range.

Aileach Youths                   1

Culdaff Res                          4

Culdaff flew out of the traps and took the lead in the first minute when Cathal McGrenaghan released Ben Curley on the left and he shot across Clarke in the home goal to give Culdaff the lead.  Aileach responded and got an equaliser on 15 minutes when Shane McMonagle passed inside to Daibidh Grant who fired a shot into the bottom corner from twenty five yards past Callum Doherty in the Culdaff goal.  Aileach had the better of the remainder of the first half and had a great chance before half time when Killian O’Rourke sent Paddy Curran clear but Doherty made a great save with his legs.  Culdaff again started the brighter in the second half and reclaimed the lead when Joe O’Connor crossed to the back post where Cathal McGrenaghan nodded into the bottom corner.  On the hour, Culdaff increased their lead when Aidan Cunningham headed home at the back post following a corner.  Culdaff almost added another when Cunningham chipped Clarke but the ball landed the wrong side of the post.  Aileach started to gamble and push more men forward and almost got their reward when Benny Hegarty poked the ball towards goal in a goalmouth scramble but Doherty got back to claim the ball on the goal line.  Stephen Doherty was next to come close, firing over the bar from fifteen yards.  On 70 minutes, substitute Aaron Doherty latched onto an O’Rourke through ball and his drive skimmed the bar on the way over.  Callum Doherty produced another great save minutes later when Stephen Doherty turned in the box and fired towards the corner but the Culdaff netminder made another super save.  Culdaff finished the scoring with five minutes to go when a cross into the box was fumbled to Cunningham who passed to Jack McLaughlin to slot into the net.

Redcastle Res                    2

Moville Res                         3

Played in excellent conditions at The Bayfield , Redcastle started  the brighter and pushed Moville back for most of the first 25 minutes.  Redcastle took the lead on 20 minute mark  when Terry McColgan headed  home an Alan Clarke corner. But Moville Equalised on half hour with a  penalty when Conor Lafferty was taken down by the Redcastle keeper

and he got up to tuck the ball home. Redcastle started brighter in the second but Moville took the lead  when the unmarked John Harkin headed home from a corner on the 55 minute. The game became a midfield battle for the next 15 minutes  but  Redcastle missed a glorious  chance to equalise from the penalty spot when Shane  McColgan fired wide. Redcastle continued to push and from an Evan  Craig corner Terry Mc Colgan again rose highest to head home an equaliser.With minutes left a long Moville free wasn’t cleared and the ball fell

to veteran P.J Barr to volley home the winner for Moville and seal the points in an entertaining encounter.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B            

Dunree Res                         1

Rasheney Res                     1

The visitors started the game the better but it was the home side who created the first chance on 14 minutes when Eamon Fullerton fired wide from a good position. Johnathan Doherty then had a great chance but  brilliant block by Paul McConalogue denied him. Dunree finally broke the deadlock on the half hour after a neat through ball from Bryce Fullerton found brother Eamon who superbly chipped the keeper from twenty yards. Rasheney were out of luck just before the break when a Nathan McConalogue free bounced off the base of the post . Rasheney started the second period well and were rewarded on 62 minutes when Nathan McConalogue laid the ball off to Jack McLaughlin to fire low past Roger McGilloway from twelve yards. Dunree ended the game stronger but efforts from TJ McKinley, Philip Harkin and Paddy Toland all failed to hit the target and they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Carn Res                               6

Illies Res                              2

Illies started well and took the lead when the home defence failed to clear allowing Liam O Connor to slot low past Dean Mason from ten yards. Carn equalised on 13 minutes when Mark Diver headed forward to Joe McKinney who advanced to fire high past    Kevin Gallagher  from twenty five yards.

Midway through the half McKinney fed Cade Cooke who rounded two defenders and fired low past Gallagher from twelve yards. It became three on 35 minutes when Dillon Cooke set up Chrsity McDaid who crossed for Conor Doherty to sidefoot home from ten yards. On the stroke of half time McDaid squared for McKinney to slot home from close range. On 55 minutes a Christopher Diver corner saw a scramble develop and Cade Cooke poked home from point blank range to make it five one. Illies reduced the deficit when Keith Elliot advanced and crossed for Stephen McGonigle who drove powerfully to the net from twenty yards. Carn completed the scoring when substitute Paul Stevens advanced on the left  and crossed for Diver to fire home from ten yards.