Match Reports Good Friday 29th March

Inishowen Football League Reports  Good Friday 29th  March

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Glengad United 0

Cockhill Celtic 6

After a slow start Cockhill created the first chance on 15 minutes when Jamie McKinney fed Garbhan Friel but his effort was saved by Zach Conlon.

Midway through the half a Lee McColgan free kick from the edge of the area flew just wide. On the half hour another McColgan free drew a superb save from Conlon but from Conor Grahams deep corner Odhran O’Brien-Daly headed home at the back post to give the  visitors the lead. Glengad worked hard throughout the half and  Terence Doherty had a twenty yards effort which failed to trouble Harry Doherty in the visitors goal. Cockhill put the game to bed with three goals in the opening ten minutes of the second half. On 48 minutes Friel headed home a Graham cross at the near post. Minutes later after good build up between Jamie McKinney and Jack Mullan the ball found Patrick McLaughlin inside the area to drill past Conlon. Then Friel added a fourth from close range after the home defence failed to clear a corner. The home sides task was not helped by the dismissal of Terence Doherty for a second yellow card. Cockhill added later goals with Luke Rudden scoring twice in the closing stages firstly from a McColgan pass then getting on the end of Mullans cross to finish well.

Moville Celtic 1

Buncrana Hearts 3

After an even opening to the game the visitors had the first opportunity with an Eoin Murphy free kick  which was tipped over by Evan Hudner in the home goal. Hudner was again called into the action when he gathered a Jamie McDaid effort at the second attempt. Moville responded with Lee McColgan feeding Luke McFadden and his shot was saved by Taylor Clarke. Out of nothing Buncrana opened the scoring in the 29th minute when Aaron McDaid collected possession turned and fired to the top corner from twenty five yards. Minutes later the same player had another shot blocked but fired the rebound over the bar. Moville rallied and got back on terms when Ryan and Lee McColgan combined for the latters cross to be sidefooted home by Reece Gillen. But on the stroke of half time Buncrana regained the lead with Jamie McDaid under pressure turning inside the area and drilling low past Hudner.  The visitors increased their lead then on the hour mark with Conor Doherty firing a superb free kick around the wall and into the bottom corner from twenty five yards. Moville had a couple of half chances with Marcus Rule and McFadden firing over the bar. Buncrana  finished the stronger and Bart Wesolowski and Jamie McDaid had efforts saved while Kieran McDaid was off target with another. 

Strand Hotel First Division

Cockhill Youths 1

Dunree United 0

The  home side began well with Ryan Downey firing wide  and PJ Doherty seeing an effort saved. Dunree replied with a Liam Baldrick free from distance which sailed over the bar. Another free kick from Baldrick was well gathered by Darragh O’Donnell. Cockhill responded and a neat one two between Mason McDaid and Darragh McDermott on the edge of the area was saved by Adam Harrigan but Liam Bradley failed to control the rebound. McDermotts free into the area and after a scramble Christopher Duffy is denied from point blank range  by a defender. A  Dunree corner at the other end flashed across the face of goal but there were no takers. The final chance fell to the home side when McDermott s driven cross was well gathered by Harrigan. Cockhill began the second half well with Bradley denied by Harrigan who then tipped a McDermott effort over the bar . Midway through the half a low cross by Danny McDaid eluded all and rebounded off the far post before being cleared to safety. On 70 minutes for all their pressure the home side had a let off when a long free kick into the area came off a defender and off the post.  Cockhill broke the deadlock shortly after this after a free kick into the area was headed across goal by Ryan Downey for Dean O’Donnell to slot home.   Dunree tried to reply  and  Jamie Brosnan fired a free kick over the bar. Both Ryan Mcdaid and Bradley were off target for the home side before the final chance fell to Dunree but Brosnan volleyed over from the edge of the area.

Rashenny FC 1

Culdaff FC 2

The home side had the better of the opening half and will have been disappointed to have gone in level at the break. A David Mclaughlin cross found Abdul Alrasheed who miskicked and when the ball fell to Cormac Dillon his effort was blocked. At the other end a jack O’Brien effort as saved by Gavin McLaughlin. Midway through the half the home side took the lead when  Dillon advanced and crossed for Mclaughlin who swivelled and fired an angled effort to the far corner. Gareth McKeever then cut in from the left and flashed an effort just past the far post. Rashenny continued to press and forced a succession of corners but from the final one Culdaff broke quickly and a Michael Coyle shot was turned round the post by the home keeper. Culdaff had a good spell after this with Keelan Doherty denied by Mclaughlin before they got back on terms before the break. O’Brien collected a defensive clearance and lobbed McLaughlin from distance. Before half time the home side saw Dillon unmarked shoot wide when well placed while a dangerous Al Rasheed cross was gathered by Patrick McLaughlin with two attackers lurking. The visitors started the second half well with O’Brien denied by the legs of Mclaughlin before the ball broke to Niall Gordon inside the area and he hammered through a crowd of players to the net.Rashenny responded and substitute Tyler McEleney had a hooked cross shot saved before David McLaughlin s effort shaved the post and McEleney was then denied  seeing an effort cleared off the line. Minutes later David Mclaughlin surrounded by defenders got a shot away which was saved. Culdaff upped the tempo and substitutes Sean O’Neill  and Bryan McCandless threatened with the former off target and the latter denied by a superb Peter Doherty tackle. Rashenny substitute John McLaughlin then saw an effort tipped over by the culdaff custodian. The final chance fell to the visitors after a misplaced pass saw McCabdless gain possession inside the area and he sidestepped a defender and the goalkeeper but saw his effort headed off the line by Peter Doherty.

Redcastle United 4

Greencastle Youths 1

The  home side created an early chance when Shaun Curran won possession in midfield and fed Darragh McConway but his effort was saved by Stephen Teles in the Greencastle goal. Redcastle opened the scoring on 15 minutes after Currans effort was cleared by Willian O’Carroll only as far as McConway who fired to the top corner. But Greencastle levelled within minutes when Evan Davenport went past a defender and lobbed Michale McCole form the edge of the area. The home side then regained the lead on 36 minutes when Curran and jack McConellogue combined to release McConway who fired low past Teles for his second of the game. The home side got a firm grip of the game minutes later after Stephen Grant cut inside a defender into the area before shooting low past Teles to the far corner. Redcastle increased their lead on 51 minutes when Currans corner deflected off a defender and past Teles who had no chance. Greencastle battled back and midway through the half Cian Sharkey crossed for Ben Doherty who fired over the bar. Redcastle responded with Curran finding Darren Kelly in a wide position and he cut inside but shot narrowly past the post. The final chance came at  the other end Gavin Rowan fed PJ McDermott but his effort produced a fine diving save from McCole.