Match Reports Friday 25th & Sunday 27th August

 Friday 25th  August  6.30pm

Clubman Shirts League Cup

Cockhill Youths            6

Dunree United             1      

In the opening exchanges Darragh McDermott for the home side fired wide while at the other end Philip McGuinness was clean through but failed to hit the target. Cockhill broke the deadlock on 22 minutes after Mark McDaid’s cross was dummied by Michael Owen Doherty for Daniel Martin Doherty to slot low to the corner. Dunree got back on terms from the penalty spot after 37 minutes when Tommy Doherty fired past Sean Parker. In the opening minutes of the second half Micael Owen Doherty saw his effort turned onto the post by Roger McGilloway . The home side regained the lead on 65minutes when Darragh McDermott  beat the offside trap  before rounding Parker to slot home. On 70 minutes Cockhill increased their lead after a corner was played to SP Fullerton twety five yards out and he fired a stunning outside of the foot effort to the top corner. Cockhill were rampant now and McDermott scored with a superb lob from twenty yards before after good build up play McDermott rounded McGilloway to slot home and complete his hat trick. The final goal came on 83minutes when Michael Owen Doherty released Shay McLaughlin and  the young winger finished superbly .

Aileach FC                    3

Rasheney FC                1

Aileach began on the front foot with Dermot Doherty getting a lot of joy down the right and his pinpoint cross after 15 minutes found Darren McMonagle at the back post but his side foot volley flew over the bar. Aileach took the lead minutes later  when  Gavin Doherty beat Sean Friel low to the keepers right with  a sweetly hit twenty yards  free kick. Rasheney responded well and Damian Friel got behind the left side of the Aileach defence but but could only find the side netting with his angled shot. Aileach piled on the pressure for the remainder of the half but Rasheney defended stoutly with Emlyn Doherty and John Grant outstanding. The second half began with Aileach piling on the pressure and on 49 minutes Friel denied Caomhin McFeeley with with a good save before a Denver Kelly shot from the edge of the box clipped the outside of the post. Kelly’s luck was out again on 55 minutes when his looping shot  from 25 yards came back off the bar. Aileach finally doubled their lead on the hour when Ronan Coyle’s deft flick found Dermot Doherty and the wing back finished well across Friel high to the keepers left from fifteen yards. With twenty  minutes remaining Rasheney got back into the game after a high looping cross by Damian Friel somehow ended up in the home net. Shaun Friel was having a fine game and the Rasheney net minder denied  Caomhin McFeeley and Gavin Doherty in quick sucession and crowned a man of the match performance when he turned an eighty first minute penalty by Ronan Coyle around the post. Five mins later Coyle made amends when he turned a Dermot Doherty cross from the left past Friel from six  yards to secure the points.

QPS                               0

Buncrana Hearts          3

Buncrana recorded a good win in Muff on Friday evening over a lacklustre Quigley’s Point Swifts side. Played in good conditions, the visitors started strongly by dominating possession and forcing the home side, who were missing key players through injury, to play a deep defensive game. On fifteen minutes, striker Gerard Boyle made good space for himself in the Quigley’s Point penalty area but could only scuff an effort straight Point goalkeeper Conor McColgan.  Four minutes later, Boyle had a header cleared off the goal-line.

The hosts tried to settle into the game and on twenty-two minutes, and against the run of play, had a golden chance to open the scoring. Defender Declan Bown made a good run down the right, and his carefully weighted pass behind the Buncrana defence was latched onto by Adam Harkin who found himself one-on-one with Hearts keeper Eoghan O’Doherty but he made a brilliant save to deny Swifts the lead. Buncrana regained their composure and took the lead in the twenty-seventh minute from a quick corner. Kieran McDaid’s (pictured Right) smart one-two with Declan Fullerton caught the Swifts’ defence napping, and McDaid was allowed to run unopposed into the box before smashing the ball high into the net. The visitors continued to push the tempo until the break, with McDaid and midfielder James McGonagle both seeing half chances go wide.

The second half continued in the vein of the first, with Hearts content to control the possession and making Quigley’s Point work hard off the ball. Bart Wesolowski’s effort was well held by McColgan, while Kevin O’Loughlin blasted a free-kick wide from a good position. The home side kept battling to keep themselves in the contest, and Brian McColgan’s twenty-five yard effort went agonisingly close after the Point man made a run from midfield.

But just when the Swifts were gaining confidence, Hearts doubled their advantage. Substitute Stephen McHugh picked up the ball just inside the Point half and laid on a precision pass to Kieran McDaid’s run inside from the left flank. McDaid collected the ball before slotting home his second goal of the game.

Buncrana continued to push forward in search of more. Some excellent build-up play found James McGonagle on the edge of the box but he dragged his shot wide. At the other end, substitute Mickey Nicholas evaded the Buncrana defence from a corner but blazed his header over from six yards.

With four minutes remaining, McHugh added a third for the visitors. The substitute collected a defensive clearance and his low twenty-five drive had enough pace to evade an outstretching McColgan and creep inside the left post into the bottom corner. The result leaves both sides on three points after two games in group stages, and both sides play their final group games on Sunday with Glengad playing Quigley’s Point in Muff while Buncrana travel to Clonmany.

Carn FC                          2

Redcastle United         4      

The visitors began well and opened the scoring on 10 minutes when an Odhran McColgan cross was scrambed home by Brendan   Murphy. They added a second midway though the half after a Chris O Donnell cross was headed home by McColgan from ten yards past Dylan Doherty. Just after the break Redcastle made it three nil when Shaun Curran converted  a penalty after McColgan was upended. On 65 minutes the home side got back into the game when Cade Cooke converted from the penalty spot after Dion Diver was upended. But Curran restored the visitors three goal advantage with a stunning free kick to the top corner from the edge of the area. Carn responded again and Cooke converted another penalty  after he himself had been upended. The home side continued to press and a Declan McGonigle cross found Brandon Browne but he fired wide from six yards in the closing minutes.


Moville Celtic               4

Culdaff FC                     3      

Moville got off to the brighter start with Norbert Indyka and Michael McNaught having efforts which failed to trouble Callum Doherty  in the Culdaff goal. The home side took the lead in the 24th minute from a Charlie Gill crossfield pass to Kevin McDermott on the right. McDermott’s high cross was met at the back post by Kyle Harkin who eased the ball home from four yards. Culdaff replied with a Conor Keddy surging run and low cross from the right edge of the area which was missed by all. Keddy then fed Darren Mullarkey in the Moville box but his snapshot was well blocked by Ryan Coyle with Martin Keddy firing the follow up wide. Culdaff equalised in the 35th minute after a Brendan McLaughlin  lob was headed in by an unfortunate Moville defender. Minutes later Coyle saved from Eugene McLaughlin after the home side failed to clear a Culdaff attack. Moville took the lead again in the 41st minute after a quick break from defence allowed McNaught to find Tony Boyce with a clever through ball. His low shot from the angle went under the outrushing Doherty and into the net. In added on time the home side went three one up after Harley produced a great point blank save from Boyce but McNaught’s follow up shot was handled on the line by a defender with Charlie Gill slamming home the resultant penalty.

Two goals in the opening minutes of the second half brought Culdaff back on level terms. Eugene McLaughlin capitalised on a defensive blunder to make it three two  then Aidan Cunningham dispatched at the far post from a fine McLaughlin cross from the right. The visitors had chances to take the lead but Keddy’s header was held by Coyle and Brendan McLaughlin  blasted over from eighteen yards when through on goal. In the 64th minute Moville went ahead from another Gill penalty. Cunningham’s snapshot was held by Coyle whose quick pass had Boyce upended in the Culdaff area leaving Gill to send Doherty the wrong way from the spot kick. Coyle for Culdaff had his effort blocked by Moville’s Coyle while John Joe Doherty blasted wide from eight yards for the visitors. McNaught’s tame left footed effort from the edge of the box for the home side was easy for Dohertywhile Ryan Coyle thwarted substitute Niall McLaughlin with a fine save from his running shot in the dying minutes to preserve Moville’s lead.

Sunday  27th August   2pm

Clubman Shirts League Cup

Rasheney FC                2

Dunree United             0

Slackness in the home defence on 8 minutes allowed  Philip McGuinness control and dink a cross across the face of goal but Thomas Doherty just failed to connect. Rasheney responded with a Damien Friel free finding Anthony Doherty who controlled and saw his driven effort palmed away by Philip Doherty.         Friel then fired a twenty yards free just over before Dunree replied with McGuinness supplying the cross for Ryan Bradley who headed just over from ten yards. Rasheney replied and a Damien Friel cross shot bounced off the crossbar and was cleared with Doherty taking a blow . Minutes later Friel’s cross deceived Doherty and ended up in the net. After the restart Dunree’s  Ryan Bradley somehow failed to connect with a Thomas Doherty cross before Doherty set up substitute Neil Moran who rounded a defender and saw his low effort saved by Sean Friel. On 58 minutes Liam Baldrick had a powerful effort  goalbound but it deflected off a defender and over. On 62 minutes Dunree were awarded a penalty after McGuinness was brought down but Friel in the home goal saved his second successive penalty from Doherty. Rasheney then broke to the other end and Michael Toland laid the ball off for Friel (pictured Right)to fire low to the corner from twenty two yards and seal the tie. The final piece of action saw McGuinness cross for William Doherty whose effort was saved on the line by Friel.

Aileach FC                    5

Cockhill Youths            2

This game opened fairly evenly with both sides enjoying decent possession without creating much in the way of chances.

Aileach got in front on 12minutes when Dermot Doherty found his brother Gavin who raced clear before finishing low past Sean Parker from ten yards to the keepers right. Minutes later Aileach doubled their lead when Anthony Doherty raced clear and after Parker did well to parry the centre forwards effort  Jordan McGeedy was on hand to roll the ball into the unguarded net. A young Cockhill side responded well and pulled a goal back on the half hour when Mark McDaid got on the end of a left wing cross and volleyed high past Peter Devlin from eight yards. But  Aileach  restored their two goal

advantage when Anthony Doherty outpaced the Cockhill defence and slid the ball under the outrushing Parker. With the half

drawing to a close Aileach notched up two quickfire goals from firstly Dermot Doherty and then Anthony Doherty to give them

a comfortable five one half time lead. The second half began at a very pedestrian pace with Aileach passing the ball around in deep positions and when the ball did make it’s way forward a good Cockhill defensive line caught the Aileach runners off side time and time again. Midway through the half Anthony Doherty had a glorious chance to complete his hat trick but he pulled his fifteen yard effort well wide. On 75 minutes Aileach substitute James Wallace got his head to a Dermot Doherty cross which brought a superb save from Parker who somehow managed to get his left hand to the ball and turn it round the post. With time running out Cockhill got a  consolation goal when Michael Doherty found space on the left side of the Aileach defence and hit a well placed shot across Devlin from

ten yards.

Group   A

  P W D L F A Pts
Aileach FC* 3 3 0 0 16 4 9
Cockhill Youths* 3 2 0 1 12 6 6
Rasheney FC 3 1 0 2 3 7 3
Dunree United 3 0 0 3 2 16 0



QPS                               0

Glengad United            2

In a scrappy affair the visitors took the lead on 16 minutes when James McKinney got to the byeline and pulled the ball back for Terence Doherty (pictured Right) to sidefoot home to the top corner from twelve yards. The same player fired just over from distance on 35 minutes  before on the stroke of half time the home side’s Declan Bown fired just wide from the edge of the area.The home side had the first chance of the second period when Brian McColgan flicked a header just wide at the near post. At the other end Shane Canning fired just over from distance before Patrick McDermott had a free well saved by David Bell. Glengad had another chance when PJ McDaid had an effort tipped over the bar by Bell who also turned a Terence Doherty effort behind from a corner from which Adam Byrne headed over. On 80 minutes Mark Smith burst through the defence but Bell advanced to block before McDermott fired wide from distance. Glengad sealed the points when John G McDermott fed Terence Doherty who turned a defender and fired left footed to the corner. The point  had the final chance when an Adam Harkin shot was saved by Kevin McLaughlin.

Clonmany Shamrocks           2

Buncrana Hearts                   3

Reversed to Buncrana after storm damage to Clonmanys pitch  Buncrana got off to a dream start when a Stephen McHugh cross found Kieran McDaid to head home from six yards after two minutes. Clonmany equalised when Jason Doherty (pictured on right) broke on the right and fired low across Liam McGonigle to the far corner. Clonmany had a good spell before they took the lead on 24 minutes after Kevin Harkin headed back across goal following a Jason Devlin corner for Jason Doherty to tap home. But Buncrana got back on terms on 41 minutes when Ben Bradley saw his initial effort crash off the bar before firing the rebound home. Buncrana began the second period well and excellent work from Kevin O’Loughlin saw his cross somehow headed wide from point blank range by James McGonagle. The visitors were restricted to long range efforts which failed to trouble McGonigle in the Hearts goal. The hearts eventually broke the visitors resistance late on after Bradley converted from close range to clinch a quarter final spot.

Group    B

Glengad United* 2 2 0 0 4 0 6
Buncrana Hearts* 3 2 0 1 6 4 6
QPS 3 1 0 2 5 7 3
Clonmany Shamrocks 2 0 0 2 5 8 0

Illies Celtic                             3

Moville Celtic                        0

In a game the home side had to win to qualify for the quarter finals Moville had the first chance when a Pearse Doherty low effort from tweve yards was saved by the legs of Johnathan Noone. The home side replied and John Campbell fired wide when well placed before Kevin McGonagle beat two men and chipped the advancing keeper for Campbell to blast wide of an open goal. On 35 minutes Paddy Doherty charged down a clearance and squared to Adrian Donagehy-Doherty who fired a superb effort to the roof of the net. Five minutes into the second half Moville’s Michael McNaught headed over while at the other end Adrian Donaghey Doherty broke through but failed to hit the target. Campbell then broke through the visitors defence but fired over before the same player ran onto a Paddy Doherty defence splitting pass  but again failed to hit the target. At the other end McNaught was denied by a brilliant one handed save from Noone. Illies increased their lead on 75 minutes after Liam Grant side stepped a defender and fired low to the corner from sixteen yards. They then made it three nil after Grant beat a defender and pulled the ball back for Paddy Doherty to fire low to the net from twelve yards.

Group       C

Illies Celtic* 2 1 1 0 6 3 4
Moville Celtic* 2 1 0 1 4 6 3
Culdaff FC 2 0 1 1 6 7 1

Redcastle United                  3

Greencastle  FC                     2

Redcastle had the first chance when James Currans goal bound header was cleared of the line. Gerry Gill then played in Joe Doherty but Mc Cole stuck out a leg to clear. Greencastle went ahead when Nigel Mc Monagles shot spun of a defender  came of the bar and came of keeper Mc Cole on its way to the net.  They went two ahead soon after when Mc Monagle fired home left footed from inside the box..  Redcastle got one back early in the second half when a Jack Mc Connellogue cross was touched home by Brendan Murphy.(pictured Right)  Minutes later they were level when another Mc Connellogue cross caused confusion in the Greencastle defence and Murphy again diverted the ball home.  Greencastle threatened again when Gill forced a reaction save from Mc Cole.  Redcastle got what proved to be the winner on 80 minutes when Odie Mc Colgan beat the offside and when his shot rebounded of the bar Sean Curran was on hand to slot home.

Group   D                                             

Redcastle United* 2 2 0 0 7 4 6
Greencastle  FC* 2 1 0 1 8 5 3
Carn FC 2 0 0 2 4 10 0