Match Reports Friday 25th and Sunday 27th August

Inishowen Football League Reports  Friday 25th August 

Clubman Shirts League Cup

Buncrana Hearts 2

Cockhill Celtic  1

Before a huge crowd in Castle Park on Friday evening reigning champions Buncrana gained early season bragging rights with a hard fought win in  tough  conditions.  Buncrana were first to threaten after Jamie McDaid  snap shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Eoin Colhoun. Jay Bradley then had two chances for Cockhill, the  first of which was well saved by Taylor Clarke in the Buncrana goal,

the post saving Buncrana the second time with the shot taking a deflection. Buncrana eventually found the breakthrough, a flowing move involving Nathan McEneff and the two McDaids played in Seanie Bradley, who found the net with a cool finish past Colhoun from the edge of the box. Just 90 seconds later it should have been two nil, Bradley missing from close range with a header after a clever knock down from Jamie McDaid. The second half began with much of the play in a dogged midfield battle. Adam McLaughlin had a well struck free kick saved by Clarke in the Buncrana goal. Cockhill struck back and equalised  after a long diagonal ball by Lee McColgan was finished superbly by substitute Liam Grant at the back post. Buncrana threatened to take the lead again, a dangerous cross by Kieran McDaid was turned on to the Cockhill crossbar by Peter Doherty. A few minutes later, Buncrana struck for what turned out to be the winner. A wicked delivery from a Kieran McDaid corner was powered to the net with a bullet header by Kevin O’Loughlin at the back post. Cockhill battled hard for an equaliser, a Corey McBride snapshot and a Gerry Gill chip the closest efforts. 


Illies Celtic 1

Aileach FC 3

Aileach took the lead in the 20 th minute when Darren Gallagher broke from central defence and played a one two with Caoimhin McFeely and shot high to the net from twenty yards .They doubled the lead on the half hour when Johnny noone made a  fine double save from Jack Mc Clean but Gavin Doherty was on hand to tap home the rebound.Aileach scored the third on forty one minutes when a long ball caused confusion in the home defence and allowing McClean to slot  into an empty net .A much improved performance in the second half from Illies creating numerous chances but couldn’t convert them  with both Dominick Coyle and Patrick Curran missing the best of those chances. They did get a goal back in the  75th  minutewhen they  were awarded a penalty after  Patrick Curran was upended in the box and Liam Doherty coolly converted low to the keepers left.

Carn FC 3

Glengad United 0

This local derby was a well contested  affair with the home side emerging deserving winners in the end.  The first half was a tight affair with a lot of midfield play,  neither team creating any chances and with corners and set pieces the only efforts to trouble either goals. The only  exception was a Christy mcDaid snapshot that Zac Conlon saved and was cleared off the line by Jason Doherty. Carn started the second half the better and took the lead from a corner with Lorcan Bradley forcing the ball home from close range. Ten minutes later Cian Burke turned the defender and his shot was well saved by Conlon only for Girts Dzerins to head home the rebound to give Carn a  two nil lead. The home side sealed the points in the 75th minute   after  a well worked goal which started from  defence ending up with Liam McWeeney finishing confidently into the bottom corner.Glengad’s only really chance in the second half was when Terence Doherty got in behind the Carn back  four but they got numbers back to crowd him out and the chance was gone.


Charlie O Donnell Memorial Cup

Rashenny FC 4

Culdaff FC 5

With both teams having won their opening games victory here was crucial for both clubs hopes of making the semi finals.Culdaff took the lead from the penalty spot in the 17th minute when Aiden Cunningham converted past Sam Coyle in the home goal. But the home side levelled matters after the visitors defence failed to clear a Ryan Doherty corner and Damien Friel headed home. Rashenny then took the lead in the 38th minute when Friel converted a penalty after David McLaughlin was fouled in the area. But on the stroke of half time Culdaff got back on terms when Michael Coyles ball over the top found Jack O Brien who chipped the advancing keeper. When a Damien Friel corner caused confusion in the visitors defence the ball was deemed to have crossed the line to leave Rashenny ahead again ten minutes into the second half. The introduction of Brendan McLaughlin for the visitors gave them much needed momentum. On 78 minutes McLaughlins through ball found O’Brien to cooly slot home and  make it three all. But again Rashenny rallied and a deep cross was bundled home from close range by Conor McDaid to restore their lead in the 82nd minute. Culdaff got back on terms again on 89 minutes when Cunningham sent Coyle the wrong way from the  spot after McLaughlin was upended. Then in injury time Culdaff struck for the winner when Mclaughlin collected the ball on the right , cut in and unleashed a superb effort to the bottom corner to clinch the points. 


Clonmany Res 0

Buncrana Res 8

A first half hat trick from Hugh Aaron McGonagle set the visitors on their way to a comprehensive win. Clonmany had an early opportunity in the 15th minute when Tiernan McDonald’s free-kick from outside the box was palmed over the crossbar by Oran McBride in the Buncrana goal. Buncrana responded and Bart Wesolowski saw his shot in the 18th minute deflected wide and from the resulting corner David Shaw saw his effort hit the post and go wide. Buncrana took the lead in the 34th minute when Cillian Downey’s shot from outside the box came back off the foot of the post and Hugh Aaron McGonagle pounced to shoot low past Conor McGonigle in the Clonmany goal. Buncrana struck again within two minutes when Bart Wesolowski squared the ball across the box and McGonagle was at hand to finish to the net . Buncrana struck again in the 40th minute after Aaron Cleary’s shot from 25 yards out struck a Clonmany defender and was deflected into the net ,wrong-footing McGonigle . Buncrana struck their fourth goal in the last minute of the first half with  McGonagle’s determination saw him burst into the box between two Clonmany defenders and shoot across Conor McGonigle into the bottom right hand side of the net to complete a first half hat-trick. Buncrana continued their good form into the second half and added their fifth goal in the 54th minute when Bart Wesolowski turned two defenders in the box before shooting low to the bottom corner of the net. Clonmany briefly threatened  when half-time sub Darragh Porter floated in a cross from the right which found Tiernan McDonald but he was quickly closed down by the Buncrana defence and the chance was lost. The visitors  Adam Doherty made it six  in the 61st minute when he pounced on a loose ball and finished to the bottom corner of the net and from the restart Buncrana attacked again and the same player  was again at hand to slot home past Conor McGonigle. Buncrana finished the scoring in the 70th minute when Bart Wesoloski converted a right wing cross from close range.

Dunree United 4

Aileach Res 1

Aileach started the game the better of the two teams but it was Dunree who opened the scoring in the 25th minute after Mark Moran confidently despatched a penalty to the net after a handball. Moran doubled their lead then when he collected a loose ball in midfield and advanced to unleash an unstopabble effort to the top corner from twenty five yards. The visitors responded well and before the break they reduced the deficit when Ryan Long headed home from a corner. It was end to end stuff on the restart with both keepers called into action  before a Jamie Brosnan strike crashed off the bar on 66 minutes. Dunree increased their lead on 75 minutes after Cian Moran squared the ball to Kyle Barrett whose deft back heel allowed Brosnan to smash the ball home from twenty yards. They sealed the tie after a mazy run from  Mark Moran saw him lay the ball off for Daniel McLaughlin to slot home.


Cockhill Youths 3

Carn Res 3

Cockhill  began well with both Ronan McLaughlin and Dylan McDaid seeing efforts saved  by Kyle Harkin. Good work then by McLaughlin and Paul Duffy law the latter fire just wide from a tight angle. The visitors first threat came from a corner but Conor McLaughlin fired over the bar. Duffy then headed over from a  corner before the visitors broke the deadlock in the 27th minute after McLaughlin slipped the ball through to Nathan McConalogue who finished well from inside the area. Cockhill upped the tempo and equalised when McDaid cut in from the left and drilled a low shot past Harkin. The home side then took the lead before the break after a superb cross from McDaid was headed home by Marc Doherty. It stayed like that until the 75th minute when the visitors got back on terms with McLaughlin scoring from close range. But Cockhill  regained the lead in the 80th minute after McDaids corner deflected off an unfortunate defender to the net. Carn threw everything forward and in injury time were rewarded with Matthew Smith heading home from a corner for a share of the spoils in an entertaining game.


Greencastle Youths 0


In their first home of the Season Greencastle Youths hosted QPS  at Chapel Lane. Greencastle got off to a brighter start looking to find a way through the QPS defence but found that their possession wasn’t turning into too many clear chances. It was QPS who got the first two clear chances of the half within 5 minutes of each other when their strikers were put through twice on goal. The first brought a great recovery tackle from Steven Burke in Greencastle defence. The second bring a good save from Dean Mason. Greencastle finished the half stronger when Evan Davenport  rounded the QPS keeper but his touch brought him  wide and he failed to hit the target from a tight angle. QPS took the lead in the 50th min with a goal from John McCloskey a great drive from 25 yards into the roof of the net. Much of the second half was Greencastle possession without much threat of a break through and the visitors  defence defending strongly. Greencastle nearly got their equaliser from a corner when  a Steven Burke header was cleared of the line and in the end QPS held on for their win.

Inishowen Football League Reports  Sunday 27th  August

Clubman Shirts League Cup

Cockhill Celtic 8

Moville Celtic 0

Cockhill totally dominated this game with Luke Rudden hitting five goals in the first half the highlight being a superb left foot volley past Sean McGuinness.  Further goals from jay & James Bradley left the home side seven nil ahead  at the interval. A powerful Odhran O Brien Daly header from Adam McLaughlins corner made it right nil in the 50th minute. Moville had a decent spell with Darragh McGuinness  willing runner in attack all afternoon and Lee McColgan prominent. But they were indebted to Sean McGuinness who made save after save to repel the home side on numerous occasions.




Cockhill Celtic

Aileach FC 1

Greencastle FC 4

After a fairly even opening 15 minutes, Greencastle took the lead when good work down the left by Michael Henry pulled the home defence to one side resulting in his cross finding the unmarked Nathan Harkin who finished high past David McGeady from six yards. The home side rallied and got on level terms after 20 minutes when Gavin Doherty played a fine through ball to Conor Barrow who drew Conor Brown before firing high to the net from twelve yards.  Greencastle restored their lead on 35 minutes when Nathan Harkin played the ball wide for Shea Mc Laughlin who’s right wing cross was headed home from close range by Brennan Moore. 

The second half was only  five  minutes old when Greencastle extended their lead from a corner which the home side failed to clear and Moore was on hand to poke the ball home from six yards. The home side were dealt a further blow on the hour when experienced defender Thomas Mc Monagle was dismissed for a second bookable offence. From this point on it was backs to the wall for a young, inexperienced Aileach side with Michael McElroy, Ryan McElhinney and Dillon McGrory thrown in at the deep end and performing admirably. Greencastle spent most of the remainder of the game camped in the Aileach half, but a combination of last ditch defending, good goalkeeping and poor finishing meant McGeady kept his goal intact until the dying embers. Greencastle finally grabbed a fourth through Gavin Harkin, who picked up a clearance and fired high to McGeadys right from the edge of the box to complete the scoring. 

Glengad United 1

Clonmany Shamrocks 3

After an even opening the visitors broke the deadlock in the 12th minute when Paddy Doherty fed Jason Devlin on the left and he cut in to drill a low shot past Stephen Mclaughlin in the home goal. They increased their lead on 18 minutes after Matthew Brennan s ball over the top released Alex McFadden who outpaced the home defence before tucking the ball away to the corner. Glengad rallied and reduced the deficit with Jason Dohertys free finding John McDaid to head past Killian McCarron.  Clonmany had the last chance before the break when Devlin beat his marker and unleashed an effort which crashed off the base of the post. Clonmany started the second half the better but were restricted to long range efforts from Oisin Hession and Shane McCaul which sailed over the bar.  Glengad replied on the hour mark with a long ball from Jason Doherty collected by Ryan McLaughlin who turned and unleashed a dipping effort just over the bar. At the other end McCaul broke clear of the home defence but McLaughlin saved superbly. Clonmany sealed the points in the closing minutes after a free kick on the edge of the area fell to Jason Devlin who hammered to the roof of the net from six yards.

Charlie O Donnell  Cup

Culdaff FC 2

Buncrana Res 2

The homeside got off to a dream start in the third minute after Michael Coyle intercepted a defensive pass and lobbed the keeper from thirty yards. Buncrana replied and Hugh Aaron McGonagle ‘s powerful effort drifted just over the bar. The visitors got  back on terms midway through the half after the home side committed too many men forward allowing Shannon Murphy to feed Callum Gillen on the right and he finished low to the corner from sixteen yards. After sustained Buncrana pressure Cudlaff broke and good interplay on the right between Coyle, Bryan McCandless and Darragh McCormick led to a drive effort from Keith Norris  which was well held by Eoghan O’ Doherty. Minutes after the break the home side went close again when McCandless weaved his way into the area only to be denied by a superb last ditch tackle from Thomas Adair. Buncrana went close on the hour mark with Matthew Brown breaking on the right and crossing for  McGonagle who side footed narrowly wide from  seven yards. At the other end a long Ryan Greene free saw Coyles header under pressure come back off the post. Buncrana then took the lead from the penalty spot on 70 minutes after a handball in the area with Adam Doherty converting low to the corner. Culdaff pressed forward and also equalised from the penalty spot after  substitute Rhys McDaid was up ended. Up stepped Aidan Cunningham, who had a superb game , to tuck away the penalty and seal a semi final spot.

Rashenny  FC 1

Clonmany Res 3

Rashenny started well with Declan McLaughlins well struck effort tipped over the bar by Conor McGonigle in the 16th minute. Minutes later a David Mclaughlin cross found Cormac Dillon  but again McGonigle was equal to his effort. Clonmany hit back and a dangerous Tiernan McDonald cross was well gathered by Sam Coyle. The home side opened the scoring on the stroke of half time when David McLaughlins cross was swept low to the bottom corner from ten yards by Dillon.Rasheney almost doubled their lead after the restart with a Conor McDaid cross fired just wide by Damien Friel. Clonmany equalised ten minutes into the second period when  substitute Lorcan McGonigle got on the end of a Kyle Devlin free to slot past Coyle.  Play swung from end to end until Rashenny regained the lead in the 71st minute. A Declan Mclaughlin free was chested down by Gareth McKeever whose driven cross came off  a defender and into the net. The home side sealed the point late on when McKeever broke clear of the visitors defence before smashing the ball past McGonigle.


Aileach Res 2

The Point started this game well and opened the scoring in the 6th minute. A John McCloskey effort was well parried by Dylan Porter but Josh McLaughlin reacted quickest  to force the loose ball home. McCloskey went close again and was unlucky when a well struck effort crashed off the post before the break. On the resumption it was  Aileach who started quickly and stunned the home side with two goals in the opening five minutes. Firstly good work from Stephen Doherty on the right saw his cross swept home by Adam Boyle to equalise.  Then Benny  Hegarty pounced on a loose ball to drill home from six yards. The home side pushed hard but the Aileach defence held on for the victory.

Dunree United 5

Greencastle Youths 0

A defensive mix up in the visitors defence allowed Jamie Brosnan to slot into an empty net and give the home the lead on 7 minutes.  They made it two nil on the half hour after a Mark Moran free was headed home by Bobby Bradley. Greencastle were dangerous on the break with Evan Davenport a constant threat. Dunree went further ahead on 53 minutes after a quick throw in released Brosnan who squared for Moran to control and slot home. Another free from Moran in the 68th minute was glanced home by Liam Baldrick from ten yards. Dunree scored their fifth and final goal in the 77th minute when Adam Barrett got in behind the Greencastle defence and squared for Brosnan to slot home.

Carn Res 0

Redcastle United 4

In wet conditions at St Patrick Park it was Carn who started the brightest. A Shay Fallon cross fell to the feet of Micheal McDermott whose shot was well blocked. Once again Carn found themselves in a great position to take the lead. Dayton Cooke raced through one on one  but his low effort was well saved by Damien McCole. Redcastle grew into the game and a Sean Curren effort from long range was well held by Ben Miller. Both sides went in at half time feeling as though they were right in the game. In the second half it was Redcastle who got off to the dream start Darragh McConway found the roof of the net from a rebound after a long ball caught the Carn defence out. Moments later it was two nil. A good ball across the box found Eoghan McLaughlin who tapped home from close range. It became three  just  five  minutes later and again it was McLaughlin. This time the ball fell kindly to him from 12 yards and he finished cooly into the bottom corner. With the flurry of goals, Carn found themselves out of the game. A decent effort from Micheal McDermott from 25 yards had McCole scrambling but it beat the post. In the final few minutes Redcastle added a fourth when Mark Farren showed some great pace to get away from the fullback, drive into the box and finish low past Miller. The game would finish four nil with Redcastles impressive second half enough for them to finish top of the group.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Illies Res 4

Gleneely Colts 4

The Colts got off to a great start in the 10th minute after Emmet O Brien released Shane Diver to drill low past Conor Doherty in the home goal. Iy got better for them midway through the half after Divers deep corner was headed home by O’Brien. But Illies got back into the game on the stroke of half time after Caelan Whoriskey fired low through a crowd of players from fifteen yards  past Rhys Kerr. Gleneely again made a fast start to the second half when Diver converted a penalty after he had been upended to restore their two goal cushion. Illies rallied and reduced the deficit with an inswinging Oran Doherty corner going all the way to the net. They then got back on terms after a Marty Coyle cross was converted by Ruairi Greene at the back post. The home side completed a remarkable turn around when they took the lead on 76 minutes with Oran Doherty firing a free from twenty yards to the roof of the net. But Gleneely salvaged a point in the 86th minute after a Shea Harkin free was headed home by substitute Matthew  McLaughlin.

Moville Res 1

Cockhill COLTS 1

The  experienced Cockhill side started well with Jude O Donnell firing wide before a Cathal Doherty effort came off the bar to Joe Doherty whose follow up effort drifted wide. Doherty had another sight of goal after a deflection fell into his path but he failed to hit the target. Moville grew into the game with Conor Radcliffe releasing Marcus Rule but he was denied by a last ditch defensive tackle.  Cockhill took the lead on 28  minutes after Moville  lost possession in midfield and Joe Doherty  executed a superb lob over Stephen Teles. Moville tried to respond straight away and a Mark McGonigle effort was turned round the post by Graham Doherty. The home side then had a let off when Cathal Dohertys effort hit both posts before being cleared by the defence. Moville began the second half well with Colin Doherty releasing Rule who advanced  into the area bur keeper Doherty smothered well. Cockhill forced a couple of corners but Teles gathered to keep the home side in touch.They eventually got back on terms on 77 minutes when Colin Doherty again released Rule on the right and he advanced to fire a superb effort to the top corner from the edge of the area.Both sides had late half chances but a draw was the end result.

Glengad Res 1

Redcastle Res 6

After a quiet opening he home side had the first chance on 21 minutes when Caolan McColgan released PJ McDaid but his effort was saved by the legs of Oisin Quigley. Redcastle responded with Gary Kelly finding Darren Harkin who was denied by the advancing Danny McGonigle. Redcastle opened the scoring on the half hour after Martin Orr pounced on a defensive error to slot home from ten yards. They doubled their lead before the break when Caolan Henry found Gary Kelly who scored with a good finish from ten yards.  Glengad were unlucky  not to reduce the deficit after  the interval from a Conor McGonigle corner with Stephen McLaughlins header coming off the bar. The visitors ncreased their lead on 57 minutes with Orr getting on the end of a Harkin cross to slot low past McGonigle. Minutes later the game was over as a contest after a quick turn by Kelly inside the area saw him slot low to the net. Kelly then completed his hat trick  with a close range finish to make it five nil. Glengad rallied and McColgan had an effort from a free crash off the post. They did get a goal on 80 minutes when McGonigle slipped the ball through for McDaid to round Quigley and slot home. But Redcastle finished the scoring after Henry pounced on a defensive error to slot home.

Rashenny RES 5

Rashenny ROVERS 3

In an evenly contested first half the Reserves were first to show after Aaron Cregan set up Ryan O Donnell whose well hit effort was saved by Rovers Roger McGiloway.  Rovers responded when Shay Grant released Niall Devlin in behind the defence and his cross saw Leo Devlin fail to convert when well placed. Rashenny Reserves then  opened the scoring  on 15 minutes after a deep corner from O Donnell was fired home at the back post by Caylum Long.  But Rovers equalised midway through the half after a superb free kick delivery from Michael Toland was headed home from six yards by Niall Devlin.  However the reserves regained the lead before the break when McGilloway saved a free kick from Alan Doherty but the ball was returned into the area where James McConalogue was on hand to head home. Rovers got back on terms within minutes of the restart when the ball deflected into the path of  Grant who slotted to the corner. There was little goal mouth action then until the 75th minute with Rashenny Reserves regaining the lead after Diarmait Keogh flicked home a  cross from Long from close range. Once again Rovers got back on terms when Toland converted from the penalty spot after Neala Maxim was upended in the area. In the closing ten minutes Rashenny Reserves  scored twice to seal the points. Firstly substitute Liam Grant curled a superb effort from twenty yards to the top corner. Then an excellent cross from Cregan found player manager OJ Cuffe to head home and clinch a five three win.

Culdaff Res 1

Sea Rovers 1

Culdaff shared points with visitors Sea Rovers in a busy game in Caratra. The youthful Culdaff team went one – nil up on 35 minutes when Billy Hume raced down the right flank and crossed for Niall Gordon who fired home from 15 yards. Culdaff kept plugging away but Rovers’ Hasson in goals kept his side in it. Rovers went close on the stroke of half time when Matthew Harley was denied by a Oran Douglas save. Culdaff held out for 65 minutes, but Rovers soon replied. Daniel Gallagher’s free kick from  the edge of the box, deceived the keeper and placed the ball under the wall and in off the left hand post. Culdaff had the best of the chances, but Noel McLaughlin and Tiarnan McGeoghegan failed to conver good  chances. Culdaff had a major chance at the end, when McLaughlin rounded the keeper, but Harley was back on the line to save the point for Rovers. Rovers were reduced to ten men after Declan McGonigle was sent off  in injury time as both sides had to settle for a point.

QPS Youth 4

Dunree Res 3

The home side took the lead in the 5th minute when an Alex  Holovin pass found Lee Rutherford  to slot into the bottom corner from ten yards.  Dunree levelled things up in the 18th minute when   Philip Harkin  got on the end of a pinpoint cross from Daniel Downey to slot home.  Dunree had another chance midway through the half but  Harkin   attempted chip drifted over the bar.  They did take the lead  on 37 minutes after  Neil Moran   beat two players on the left cut in and slotted low to the net from fourteen yards. The home side then got back on terms in the 51st minute when Sean Og Gallagher released Mickey Nicholas to sidestep a defender and hammer the ball to the top corner. But Dunree rallied and went three two up when Patrick Doherty calmly lifted the ball over the advancing Stephen Slattery.  The home side got back on terms on 82 minutes after a goal mouth scramble saw Eamon McCool poke the ball home from close range. The point snatched a winner in the 88th minute when a  Dean Hegarty corner to the near post was finished to the net by Holovin to leave the final score four three. 

Cockhill RES 4

Carrowmena  FC 1

In an even first half with difficult conditions underfoot, neither Cockhill’s Darragh O’ Donnell or Mark Doherty in the Carrowmena goal were called in to action with a few long range efforts from both sides not finding the target.Cockhill started to find their rhythm early in the second half as the game opened up. Ethan O’Toole found space in the box and his powerful shot was well saved by Mark Doherty but Liam Bradley was sharpest to react to the parried shot and knock in the opener. That goal lifted Cockhill and 10 minutes later they increased their lead. Sean Bradley driving a 25 yard effort into the bottom corner past Mark Doherty after being teed up by Shino Anafi. After setting up the second goal Shino Anafi scored his first goal in senior football to make it three nil.  Ethan O’Toole did well to turn in the box and played a clever ball across the six yard box and  Anafi timed his run well to finish well at the back post.

With Carrowmena tiring Cockhill added a forth with 15 minutes to go. After some great play down the right by Joe Lavery, he fed in Sean Bradley who delivered a great cross and Ethan O’Toole volleyed home from 10 yards to finish off a great team move.Carrowmena never gave up and pulled one back on 80 minutes. Gerard Gill crossed from the left and Sean Duffy scored with a well placed header past Darragh O’Donnell.Cockhill tightened things up for the rest of the match to see it out for a very hard fought win.