Match Reports Friday 20th and Sunday 22nd August

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2021-22

Friday  20th August   6.45pm  Kick Off

Clubman Shirts League Cup Group Stages

Buncrana Hearts 3

Carn FC 2

In damp conditions at Castle Park there was an explosive start to this game when Christy McLaughlin pounced on a defensive slip in the home rearguard to drill low past Rory Kelly.

But Buncrana equalised almost immediately after Aaron McDaid beat a defender and squared for Jerry Gill who scored at the second attempt after his initial effort was saved by Kyle Harkin. Buncrana got on top then with Eoin Murphy and Michael Coyle just off target before a Shane Dillon free crashed off the bar. On 21 minutes the hearts took the lead when Calvin Gallagher fed Aaron McDaid and his cross came off a defender past Harkin. A brilliant solo run from Kieran McDaid took him past four defenders before he rounded Harkin and made it three one. Carn responded and Christy Diver saw an effort saved by Kelly on the half hour. The home side almost made it four  before the break when a brilliant run and cross by John Timlin saw the ball deflect goalwards off a defender but Harkin pulled off a stunning reaction save. Kyle Harkin in the Carn goal pulled off two superb saves to deny Aaron & Kieran McDaid in the opening quarter of the second half. Midway through the half the young stopper made a tremendous double save to foil Kieran McDaid and substitute Mikey Friel’s follow up. Carn battled well and go back into the game on 72 minutes when Cade Cooke took advantage of hesitancy in the Hearts defence and drilled across Kelly to the far corner. In the closing stages Gill poked just wide before Friel was denied again by Harkin .

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Aileach FC 5

Aileach took the lead in the second minute when Caolan Doherty cut in from the right wing and drove a shot past Clonmany keeper Kieran Friel to the bottom right hand corner.They almost doubled their lead in the 21st minute after Caolan Doherty broke clear on the right wing and crossed but both Aaron Nash and Darren McMonagle failed to connect with their attempted headers.They did double their lead in the 37th minute when Aaron Nash crossed from the byline and Dermot Doherty arrived at the back post to send a header to the net. Aileach added a third just before half-time when they intercepted a pass 20 yards from the Clonmany box which was fed out to Caolan Doherty on the right and he slid a low cross  for Aaron Nash at the back post to fire  low past Kieran Friel  from ten yards.

Aaron Nash almost scored his second of the night in the 50th minute when he was picked out by Darren McMonagle’s cross from the left wing but his shot went past the Clonmany right hand post. The conditions deteriorated with a heavy shower driving spectators to find shelter but this seemed to mark Clonmany’s best spell in the match with Dean Harkin bursting  past Dermot Doherty on the right wing and he forced a save out of Aileach’s Darragh McLaughlin in the 61st minute.Clonmany pulled a goal back in the 66th minute with Niall McLaughlin and Jason Devlin combining  down the left for Jason to cross and Jake Harkin struck a shot past Darragh McLaughlin . But Aileach killed any hopes of a Clonmany comeback when in the 72nd minute Thomas McMonagle headed home at the near post from a corner from the right. Clonmany were forced to make a change in goals on the 80th minute when Kieran Friel was stung numerous times by a wasp under his shirt and had to be replaced by Paul McLaughlin for the remaining minutes and with five minutes remaining Gavin Doherty scored Aileach’s fifth from 10 yards out when McLaughlin was unable to hold Aaron Nash’s shot from the right of the box to  seal an emphatic win.     

Cockhill Youths 3

Illies Celtic 1

Cockhill Celtic Youth claimed the points in this local derby to get their season off on the right track in the Clubman Shirts League Cup. In a tight opening affair, it was the visitors who settled the better of the two sides and Adrian Donaghey-Doherty shot wide from the edge of the area on 18 minutes. Cockhill’s Adam McLaughlin then blazed a free over the bar from close range after Dominick Doherty had been adjudged too have fouled Jack McDaid on the edge of the ‘D’.Cockhill opened the scoring on 34 minutes after  Michael Noone advanced from right back to play a  one-two with Ryan McDaid and as Noone continued on into the area he just got enough of the toe on the ball to slide in past the advancing Jonny Noone in the Illies goal. Cockhill added a second minutes later when a determined run by Shane Anthony Doherty got on the end of a through ball from  Conor Allen for the former to strike a composed finish low into the corner of the net past Noone’s outstretched left hand. The 2-0 lead was short lived as Illies struck back on 38 minutes when Liam Doherty advanced unmarked into the middle of the pitch to receive a pass from brother Paul before advancing to the edge of the box and shoot right footed past Daniel Houghton’s right hand as he dived low to his right. Illies sensed another goal before the break and when Kevin McGonagle advanced into the area on the left he cut back on his right but the shot was blocked by the covering defender Odhran O’Brien-Daly

Illies again started the brighter of the two sides in the second half and the young forward Grant had a great chance on 55 minutes but he put his effort over the bar. Cockhill had joy down the flanks but where all too guilty of hitting efforts from range instead of working the opening closer to the net. The long-distance shots where all too easy for Noone in the visitor’s net. Illies brought on John Campbell for a more physical approach with 30 minutes to go but the Cockhill defence of O’Brien-Daly and Bobby Bradley stood up to the challenge. Cockhill went 3-1 up on 75 minutes after Mark Moran picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and danced his way out of a few tackles before shooting left-footed past Noone to the right corner of the net. Illies never stopped for the remainder of the game but Cockhill stood firm to claim the points

Charlie O Donnell Group Stages 

Greencastle Res 2

Glengad Res 2

The visitors had the first opportunity when an attempted lob from Patrick McDermott just cleared Puaric Carey Doherty ‘s crossbar. Greencastle responded with Andrew Peoples seeing a shot deflected over before he headed wide from a corner, Seamy McLaughlin fired wide and Joshua Lafferty sent a free kick just over the top. The home side broke the deadlock on 15 minutes after Ben Doherty fed Kyle Harkin on the right and he beat a defender before pulling the ball into the path of Doherty to slot low past Michael McLaughlin. McLaughlin then saved well to deny Eoin O Doherty moments later. Glengad upped the tempo with Nathan McConalogue firing just wide and Ryan McLaughlin shooting over twice.Before the break O Doherty burst into the area but saw his effort blocked. Glengad had the first chance of the second period when McDermott s free was well held by the home custodian who then  turned McConalogue s effort round the post. Greencastle went two up on the hour when Peoples and Doherty combined to release O’Doherty over the top and he made no mistake from fourteen yards. O Doherty and Gerry Gill then had chances to put the game to bed but failed to convert and Glengad got a goal back on 78 minutes after John G McDermott won possession in midfield and broke into the area before drilling low to the corner. Seamy McLaughlin had an effort for the home side saved before Gill & O Doherty were off target. The visitors made them pay when they snatched a point with Paul McGonigle beating the offside trap and firing to the corner.

Gleneely Colts 3

Aileach Res 6

In a high scoring contest for the first competitive league match of the season, Aileach were first to show and opened the scoring  after only two minutes when Darren  Bradley slotted into an empty net when he seized on  a poor  clearance . Gleneelys first attempt fell to Paul Doherty but his snap shot from the edge of the box went  narrowly wide. Aileach doubled their lead midway through the half after  Stephen O’Donnell advanced on the left wing, played the ball inside to Anthony Doherty, who fired a rocket to the top right corner of the net, giving Oran Raymond no chance. Gleneely clawed a goal back on 35minutes after good work by Paul Gamble down the right wing and he clipped a ball across the goal for Paul Doherty who  slotted  home at the back post. In the opening minute of the second half, Gleneely drew level  when Corey O Brien charged down the keepers clearance to  see the ball ricochet into the empty net. But a  minute later, Aileach took the lead again, when a goal mouth scramble resulted in Micheal McElroy  firing home from close range. Aileach went further ahead on 55minutes when Stephen O Donnell intercepted a ball out from Oran Raymond and  played it across goal for James Wallace to slot home from close range. Gleneely pulled a goal back  after a throw in from Darragh Canny found Corey O Brien on the edge of the box who laid it off to Iarlaith McLaughlin to slam home into the bottom corner from twent yards. But again within minutes Aileach struck  after  David Ryan slotted at the back post when played in by Anthony Doherty. The visitors completed the scoring in the final minute with  Anthony Doherty breaking on  the right past two  defenders and cutting inside to shoot low to the bottom corner to complete the scoring.

Dunree United 0


This game was played at a very high tempo with both sets of players finding it difficult to get time and space on the ball. There was nothing in the way of chances for the first 20 minutes  however QPS opened the scoring midway through the half, when a long clearance  by  a visiting  defender fell to Darragh McDermott and he made no mistake rounding the keeper and slotting home. 

Dunree pushed hard to get back into the game but failed to register any attempts on target. The pace of the game continued after the break with the home side  on the front foot.  Conor Barrett had a shot tipped over in the first minute and a few minutes later Shaun Mulhern saw his 20yard effort drift past the post. The Point were  always dangerous on the break with McDermott holding the ball up, bringing players into play. The same player had a snap shot from a tight angle clip the outside of the post in the 75th minute.Dunree pressed  but found the  visitors defence hard to break down. They had the last chance of the game late on after a ball over the top was controlled by Liam Baldrick but  his shot save by the keeper low to his right. 


Sunday  22nd  August   

Clubman Shirts League Cup Group Stages  

Moville Celtic 0

Buncrana Hearts 8

Buncrana dominated from start to finish in this League Cup game at the Bayfield. The visitors opened their account in the 16th minute when Aaron McDaid fired low into the corner from fourteen yards after Kieran McDaid had worked his way into the Moville area. Seven minutes later it was two nil with Jerry Gill sweeping into the net at the back post after a series of blocked efforts from the Buncrana attack. Ryan Doherty dispatched a penalty in the 27th minute after a handball in the area by a Moville defender.

Buncrana began the second half on the front foot and had their fourth within five minutes of the restart when Mikey Friel ,who had spurned a series of chances in the first half, placed the ball well past Teles in the Moville goal after being set clear following a poor Moville clearance. The home side’s only shot on target came from Michael McNaught in the 65th minute who latched onto a misplaced Rory Kelly pass only for the keeper to redeem himself with a fine save. Substitute Darragh O’Connor made it five when he nodded past Teles after a mix up in the Moville defence when defending a Buncrana throw in. Teles denied O’Connor twice after that by palming onto the crossbar and getting low to his right but the visitors made it six nil when defender Shane Dillon was blocked twice but fired home on the third attempt. Sub Michael Coyle made it seven in the 79th minute with a well-placed shot to the far corner and the visitors wrapped it up in the 86th minute when O’Connor outstripped the Moville defence to fire home and make it eight nil to the visitors.

Aileach FC 1

Glengad United 1

The early part of this game was a very cagey affair with a lot of play condensed in the middle third and defences on top. On 15 minutes an Aileach free kick from the left just evaded Gavin Doherty at the back post. Glengad responded and on 20 minutes a Conor Barrow snap shot from the edge of the box was easily dealt with by Darragh McLaughlin. Midway through the halfKeelan Doherty won possession thirty yards  out and fired a left foot drive which clipped the outside of Kevin McLaughlins right hand post. Despite having the lions share of possession Aileach struggled to create anything clear cut. On 40 minutes a long ball by Matthew Byrne found Terence Doherty but the number nine s shot on the run flew well wide. On the stroke of half time a good break down the right by the home side resulted in a Darren McMonagle cross finding Aaron Nash but the big forwards powerful near post header was narrowly wide. Glengad began the second half on the up and on 55 minutes created their best opportunity of the match. Conor Barrow got to the bye line and pulled the ball across for the unmarked Terence Doherty but the centre forwards side foot effort from six yards just missed the target. The home side took the lead in the  55th  minute after the overlapping Darren Gallagher squared the ball back for Gavin Doherty who controlled before slotting past McLaughlin low to the keepers right from 12 yards. Glengad put an extra forward on at this stage and began to press the home side back. They forced a series of corners in quick succession but the home defence stood firm. With Glengad forcing the issue Aileach had opportunity’s on the break but a couple of last ditch tackles and some poor choices let Glengad off the hook. This would come back to bite them when on 82minutes Glengad were awarded a hotly disputed penalty which James McKinney converted low to McLaughlins right. With the home side visibly tiring after two games in three days it was the visitor’s who finished the stronger but Aileach held out for the draw and what was a fair outcome.

Illies Celtic 1

Greencastle FC 5

The visitors got off to a brilliant start when they opened the scoring on 4 minutes after a superb Nigel McMonagle flick released Jamie  McCormick to fire high past Johnathan Noone. On 9 minutes Mc Monagle claimed another assist when he crossed for McCormick to finish with aplomb from twelve yards and double their lead. Illies replied and Adrian Donaghey-Doherty fired over when well placed. They got a goal back when Liam Doherty s excellent cross found Frankie O Connor to head past Aodh Campbell. But the visitors finished the half the better with McMonagle striking the post before firing over but on the stroke of half time raced clear and fired low past Noone. Illies got the worst possible start to the second half when they conceded an own goal to go four one down.  Illies tried to reply and when Kevin McGonigle flashed a great ball across goal there were no team mates to apply the finishing touch. On 75 minutes a superb defence splitting James Henry pass released McMonagle who calmly slid the ball past Noone to complete the scoring.

Charlie O Donnell Group Stages          

Redcastle United 7

Greencastle Res 2

In a very entertaining match Greencastle started the quickest and after only 1 minute went ahead  through a low shot from Daniel Rowan. Redcastle replied immediately through Gavin Grant to make it one each. Greencastle once more took the lead with a curling shot from Eoin Doherty to the top corner . Once more Redcastle got back in the game with a sweet left foot shot from Stephen Grant before the home side took the lead just before half time with a superbly taken free kick by Stephen Grant from the edge of the area.The second half was one way traffic with Redcastle scoring four more goals. Brendan Murphy scored with a bullet header from a cross, Gavin Grant added to his first half goal with two excellent finishes to complete his hat trick and on the stroke of full time Drew McKinney scored after a save  from Seamus Bovaird in the Greencastle goal fell kindly for him.

Culdaff FC 2

Gleneely Colts 1

The home side got a dream start in the opening minutes when an Aiden  Cunningham’s low delivery from a corner was flicked past Oran Raymond by Jack McLaughlin. The same players combined minutes later but McLaughlin headed wide on this occasion.Gleneely responded and Iarlaith McLaughlin had a goalbound effort cleared by Thomas O Brien before Paul Gamble ‘s shot was saved by Puaric O’Donnell. Keith Norris had a shot saved by Raymond after good build up play before Jack McLaughlin collected a Dillon Ruddy  ball but fired wide from the edge of the area. Again the visitors replied and Iarlaith McLaughlin and Cory O Brien were both off target with efforts. The visitors equalised before the interval  after the ball broke on the edge of the area to Adrian Duffy who fired first time to the bottom corner. The second half saw fewer chances but the home side  pressed for the majority of the half.  Ben Curley had a good shot saved by Raymond before Jack O Brien won possession advanced but drilled across goal and   just wide. On the hour Dillon Ruddy fed Jack Mclaughlin but again Raymond was equal to the task. Gleneely had spells of pressure and had a few corners but failed to create a clear chance. On 81 minutes substitute Bryan McCandless laid the ball off to  Aiden Cunningham but he fired over. With the game looking destined for a draw  Culdaff struck  for the winner after McCandless flicked on for Cunningham to race into the edge of the area and fire an unstoppable effort across Raymond to the far corner.


Clonmany Res 8

An understrength home side got off to the worst possible start after Kevin Harkin pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the area and drilled to the bottom corner past Oisin Burke. It got worse on four minutes after Liam Hirrell evaded a couple of challenges before advancing into the area and firing low past Burke. Mark McLaughlin then saw an attempted lob crash off the bar before they added a third on 16 minutes. Marty Doherty floated in a corner which broke for Harkin to poke home from close range. Mark Mclaughlin added number four with a spectacular Mark Mclaughlin diving header. The point rallied and Shea Lynch had an effort come off the bar before both Darragh McDermott and John McCloskey were narrowly off target. Clonmany resumed in control and added a fifth in the 48th minute when Marty Doherty stabbed the ball home after Burke had parried well. In fairness to the home side they continued to battle well and had chances. McCloskey had an effort turned round the post by Kieran Friel before Deaglan Bown fired over and McDermotts effort lacked the necessary power to beat Friel. McCloskey was then unlucky to see a shot cannon back off the post and the visitors broke and added number six from this let off with Thomas Comiskey firing low past Burke from sixteen yards. Two late goals from Mark McLaughlin completed the visitors tally while the point got a consolation after a Stephen McHendry lob caught Friel off his line.