Match Reports for Sunday 4th February 2024

Inishowen Football League Reports  4th February

Strand Hotel First Division

Cockhill Youths 1

Carn Res 2

After an  even  opening half hour in which there were little chances at either end  Darragh O’ Donnells ball out was intercepted by Mark Scott but O’Donnelll made amends with a good save. Good play by the home side saw a Darragh McDermott effort well saved by Kyle Harkin.

Carn took the lead then in the 50th minute when Daire Tully was upended and Dayton Cooke converted from the spot.The visitors added a second goal after the hour mark with a long range effort from Cormac McLaughlin looped over O’Donnell in the home goal. Within a minute Cockhill responded and got a goal back when Liam Bradley slotted home  from inside the area. Cockhill went close again on 83 minutes when McDermott found space inside the area but Harkin saved well. Carn then broke with the home side pushing and Scott saw his well struck effort saved by O’Donnell as the visitors collected the points.


Clonmany Res 1

Dunree United 2

Conditions were not great for this match and both teams deserve credit for serving up an entertaining game. Clonmany sprung into an early lead in the third minute when Lorcan McGonigle controlled Brendan Doherty’s through ball on the right side of the Dunree box and stroked the ball across Adam Harrigan in the Dunree goal, to find the bottom right hand corner of the net. Dunree pinned Clonmany back for long spells but often the final ball was over-hit due to the strong gusting wind . Dunree’s Sean McColgan went close in the 29th minute but saw his shot slip wide of Killian McCarron’s left-hand post. Another quick counter-attack by Dunree in the 32nd minute saw Marc Doherty shooting from the edge of the box but Killian McCarron pulled off a save with his legs to divert the swerving shot behind for a corner. Another good passing movement by Dunree, in the 41st minute , down their right wing saw Sean McColgan setting up Bernie Doherty for a shot from the edge of the box but he could’nt keep the shot down and it cleared the Clonmany crossbar  as the half ended with Clonmany leading.

Dunree started the second-half with a good chance in the 48th minute after  Sean McColgan’s overhead kick from Adam Whoriskey’s cross just drifted wide to the right of the Clonmany goal. Clonmany were still competing well in midfield and almost added to their lead in the 50th minute when Shane McCaul set up Lorcan McGonigle on the right of the box but his shot from 15yards just flashed wide of the Dunree goal. Clonmany went close again in the 59th minute after Brendan Doherty received the ball in a central position before driving forward and shooting narrowly wide. Control seemed to switch back to Dunree as they created two good chances within three minutes ,first in the 62nd minute Bernie Doherty was slipped through and as he beared down on the Clonmany goal he shot but fortunately for Clonmany Killian McCarron was in a good position to pull of a save . Two minutes later Dunreee’s Tommy Mulhern was well positioned to shoot from the edge of the box but the ball went narrowly wide to the left of the Clonmany goal. Clonmany went on a swift counter attack and Jake O’Donnell was unlucky when he burst through on the Dunree goal but Adam Harrigan was able to thwart the danger.

Clonmany had a great chance to seal victory in the 70th minute when Aaron Porter went on a mazy run on the left wing before driving into the box but again Adam Harrigan came to Dunree’s aid with a good blocking save and as Shane McCaul retrieved the loose ball he was forced wide to the byline and his cross was cleared to safety. Clonmany would come to rue that missed opportunity two minutes later when Dunree’s second-half sub Cian Moran cut in from the left and squared to Bernie Doherty at the edge of the box and his persistence saw him break through a couple of Clonmany tackles before shooting into the roof of the net to make it one all. With the match drawing to a close Dunree were pressing for a winner and it came in the 85th minute when they were awarded a free-kick 35yards from the Clonmany goal in a central position. With virtually everyone in the Clonmany box barring Adam Harrigan , Liam Baldrick took the set piece and his low driven shot deceived Killian McCarron to find the bottom right hand corner and to seal Dunree’s fightback.


Greencastle Youths 1

Buncrana Res 0

Greencastle Youths hosted Buncrana Reserves on a wet and windy day in Chapel Lane. Greencastle  took an early lead when Shay Doherty won a free kick 25 yards out. Gavin Rowan, (pictured right), stepped up from centre half and drilled the free  low into the corner of the net. Greencastle had another chance from a free a few moments later.  But this time Rowan drilled it narrowly over the bar. Five minutes later Dan Rowan got in on the act with a fiercely struck drive from 25 yards just over the bar.As the half wore on Buncrana came more into the game forcing Greencastle back without getting any clear cut chances on goal.  The second half started off tightly contested in the midfield areas. The first chance fell to Greencastle. with a great through ball from Evan Davenport to Shay Doherty. but the on rushing keeper made a great save at the feet.

Davenport set up another good chance 10 minutes later with another through ball to Christy Hegerty. Hegerty tried the chip but it sailed over the bar. Moments later Dan Rowan sent Ronan Farren through on goal who also tried a chip but it also cleared the crossbar. With Greencastle failing to capitalize on their chances. Buncrana had a rare clear chance to get back in the game when Buncrana went through on goal. Stephen Teles doing well in nets preventing the equalizer. With minutes left a great deep free from William O Carroll fell to Christy Hegerty at the corner of the box. Hegerty’s drive crashed off the underside of the bar and Buncrana cleared. Buncrana pushed forward but Greencastle held strong to pick up an important three  points.

Greencastle Youths

Buncrana Reserves










Inish Grass  Division Two Shield

Glengad Res 1

Cockhill Colts 2

Cockhill with the elements in their favour began well and opened the scoring in the 15th minute when Gavin Doherty fed Paul McKinney on the edge of the area and he fired low past Michael McLaughlin. They doubled their lead on 27 minutes with the home side unable to deal with Gavin Dohertys inswinging corner which went all the way to the net.Jude O Donnell then broke clear of the home defence but McLaughlin saved well. On the stroke of half time the home side went close after Stephen Doherty found Caolan McColgan but his shot was smothered by Graham Doherty. Glengad started the second half well and got a goal back  when Doherty parried a Stephen Doherty free allowing Jason Doherty to slot the loose ball home. Jason Doherty then had a free tipped around the post before before keeper Doherty tipped a PJ McDaid effort around the post also.With Glengad pushing the visitors had the final chance after McKinney raced clear  but saw his effort saved by McLaughlin.

Gleneely Colts 2

Culdaff Res 3

Played in driving rain and wind  Gleneely opened the scoring on 17 minutes when Stephen McLaughlin did well in midfield to advance and unleash a left footed effort to the top corner from twenty yards giving Oran Douglas no chance. But Culdaff equalised minutes later  when they forced a corner and Sonny Bonner headed home from eight yards. Gleneely had a chance in the 34th minute  when Paul Doherty shot over from the edge of the box. Culdaff started the second half well and Tiernan McGeoghans effort from twenty yards was well saved by Adrian Duffy. The visitors took the lead then  when Darragh McCormick scored directly from a corner on the left hand side. They went further ahead on 75minutes after Billy Hume scored directly from a corner on the right hand side.  Gleneely pulled a goal back when Billy McCann poked home from eight yards to set up a grandstand finish. At the death Billy McCann had a chance to forced extra time but sliced his effort when well placed inside the box.

Gleneely Colts

Culdaff Res









Culdaff scorers Billy Hume, Sonny Bonner & Darragh McCormick

Gleneely scorers Stephen McLaughlin & Billy McCann




Carrowmena FC 4

Aileach Youths 3

The home side had the first opportunity  on 13 minutes after a Pearse Doherty corner was cleared as  far as  Adam Harkin  who drilled a low  shot just  past Dylan Clarke’s left hand side- ball clipping the up right post . Harkin had another chance when he ran onto a Ryan McDermott pass but could not force the ball past Clarke.

Aileach were able to hold the home team’s fast start with Eddie mc Intyre , Gareth mc Glynn & Arron Doherty , in midfield able to create the counter attack , but never got to trouble Noone in the home nets .  Carrowmena created another good chance before the break after good interplay ended with Harkin finding Cathal Crumlish  who fired over from fifteen yards . Aileach went close on the stroke of half time with McGlynns free kick tipped onto the bar by Noone and cleared to safety.

Aileach started the second half well and broke the deadlock on 51 minutes after a corner was cleared to Cormac Ferguson on the edge of the area and he drilled low past Noone. Carrowmena responded immediately with an effort from Pauric Gillen which Clarke tipped away as it headed to the top corner. On 56 minutes the home side equalised after a Pearse Doherty effort  was blocked but the ball fell to  Crumlish to make no mistake from eight yards. The home side then took the lead after Luke Bradleys cross found Doherty who fired low to the net from fifteen yards. Carromena were on top at this stage and increased their lead with a close range finish from Harkin before a well struck shot by the same player from twenty five yards nestled in the bottom corner to go four one ahead. Aileach reduced the deficit on 85 minutes after Charlie Campbell squeezed an effort past substitute keeper Ciaran Bonner. Aaron Doherty then scored Aileach’s third in the 88th minute to set up a grandstand finish but the home side held on to advance to the semi finals.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B

Moville Res 7

Rashenny Rovers 0

Moville started brightly and created a few early chances falling to Danny Murphy, Luke McFadden and Joshua Gillen but their efforts all went  over the bar. On 18 minutes  good play down the right saw a cross from Mateusz Indyka met first time at the back post by Luke McFadden but his shot was well saved by Roger McGilloway in the Rasheeny goal.

Moville opened the scoring on 20 minutes and again Indyka overlapped well on the right and floated the ball into the box where Danny Murphy was waiting to head in at the back post. Moville extended their lead after 28minutes when a throw into the box wasn’t cleared.  Colin Doherty blocked the attempted clearance and the ball looped up and over the keepers head and into the bottom corner. On the half hour Rasheeny broke and Callum Doherty found some space to hit a shot but it went narrowly over the bar. Moville came out just as quick in the second half and  Luke McFadden floated in a corner kick  where Daniel McFadden met it at the near post to power it into the top corner.

Then three minutes later Moville were in again.  Joshua Gillen played a defence splitting pass wide left to Luke McFadden who held off the defender and fired low and hard into the corner on the keepers near side. Then on 54 minutes it was 5.  Another corner was this time met by Even Hudner which was blocked on the line.  The rebound fell to Daniel McFadden and he hit it into the roof of the net. Colin Doherty  then picked the ball up on the right and  fed it through to Danny Murphy who calmly curled it around the on rushing McGilloway for his sides sixth goal.

Moville were rampant and after  great build up play again on the right saw the cross come in for Reece Gillen who had made the run from left back.  He met it first time but couldn’t direct it towards goal.

Moville finished the scoring in the 77th minute when Marty McGonigle won the ball in midfield and played it wide to Luke McFadden.  He swept it across to Murphy who slotted it home into the bottom corner from the edge of the box to complete his hattrick.

Illies Res 3

Dunree Res 0

Played in swirling wind conditions league leaders Illies dominated this game throughout. They took a 10th minute lead when a deep Dominic Doherty free  was punched clear by Philip Doherty but Liam O’ Connor find the loose ball to the roof of the net. They doubled their lead midway through the half after a short corner to Michael Grant saw his effort break off  a defender to Oran Doherty who fired to the top corner from the edge of the area. On the  stroke of half time the home side had another good chance with Stephen McGonagle finding J P McKenna but he dragged his effort wide when well placed. Illies continued on top but found the Dunree defence hard to break down in the second half. They added their third in the 80th minute when substitute Marty Coyle fed Jack McDaid who rounded Doherty and clotted home. Coyle then had a shot saved by Doherty before a late Coyle cross was steered wide by McGonagle.