Match Reports 5th Feb

Inishowen Football League 5th February

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 2pm

Glengad United            5

QPS                               0

The league champions really had this game put to bed with three goals in the opening quarter. Michael Byrne opened the scoring with a glancing header from brother Matthew’s free kick on 8 minutes. Two minutes later it was two nil when good work on the left by Nigel saw him cut the ball back to Michael Byrne who slotted low past Oisin Burke from fifteen yards. When Patrick McDermott fed Terence Doherty on the edge of the area he drilled low to the corner. Glengad dominated the remainder of the half but created little. On the restart both Stephen McLaughlin and Doherty had efforts well saved by Burke. On 65 minutes a Denim McLaughlin free kick for the visitors looked destined for the top corner but Kevin McLaughlin made a brilliant tip over save. Within minutes Glengad made it four nil when Michael Byrne completed his hat trick after a neat one two with Doherty.  QPS replied and Sean Martin fed McLaughlin whose attempted lob skimmed the post. On 85 minutes James McKinney advanced on the right and crossed for John McDaid to slot home at the back post.

Culdaff FC                               2

Clonmany Shamrocks           5

This was an entertaining game full of goal mouth action but in truth left a lot to be desired from a defensive point of view. Brendan McLaughlin had an early snapshot from close range brilliantly saved by Patrick Harkin while at the other end an Aiden Friel pass found Jamie Coyle at full stretch but he failed to direct his effort on target.

Michael Coyle then had a near post flick headed behind by a defender before Friel again released Coyle who fired wide from a very tight angle.Culdaff opened the scoring when a Eugene McLaughlin effort from the edge of the area was controlled by Michael Coyle before rolling the ball into the net from ten yards. Clonmany responded immediately and Andrew Doherty glanced a header wide from a corner. On the half hour Brendan McLaughlin pounced on a defensive slip to advance into the area but Harkin saved well with his legs . Dessie Doherty for the visitors got in behind the home defence but fired wide before on 35 minutes Friel’s ball over the top was brilliantly volleyed over Darragh McLaughlin by Paul McDermott.  Culdaff regained the lead on the stroke of half time after Conor Farren lifted the ball over the top for Eugene Mclaughlin who crossed for Brendan McLaughlin to head home.Clonmany started the second period well and on 53 minutes the unmarked Andrew Doherty headed home the equaliser from six yards after a Jason Devlin free. In a quick break minutes later Friel fed Jamie Coyle on the left and he squared for McDermott to knock the ball home. Culdaff did press for long periods but Michael Coyle beat Harkin but saw his effort cleared before Conor Farren had a header tipped over by Harkin. Clonmany were dangerous on the break with McLaughlin in the home goal making a double save to deny Paddy Doherty before saving substitute Mark McLaughlin’s penalty kick after McDermott was upended. With Culdaff pushing hard for a point they conceded two identical goals on the break allowing McDermott to complete his hat trick.

Carn FC                         4

Dunree United             1

This was a crucial win for the home side and lifts them out of the relegation spots. They dominated the opening half with Declan McGonagle twice shooting wide when well placed. Against the run of play the visitors took the lead on 40 minutes after Philip McGuinness converted a penalty awarded after he had been upended. But the home side upped the tempo on the restart and got back on terms on 49 minutes when  Ryan Kelly headed home a Shane Doherty corner at the back post. On the hour Ronan Doherty sent McGonagle clear on the right and he advanced into the area before lifting the ball over Philip Doherty as he advanced. Another sublime pass from Doherty sent Shane Doherty clear from half way and he superbly lobbed Doherty from twenty yards. They sealed the points on 85 minutes after Brandon Browne scored direct from a corner.

Aileach   FC                  0

Buncrana Hearts          1

Buncrana kept their title hopes alive with this narrow win over an Aileach side who will feel they had enough chances to deserve a share of the spoils. On 12 minutes Stephen McHugh turned well on the edge of the area but fired just wide. The home side responded and after a Darren McMonagle free Gavin Doherty saw his header well saved by Corey Wilson low to his left. Their best chance came on the half hour when Gavin Doherty’s cross found the unmarked Dermot Doherty but his weak header allowed Wilson to gather. Aileach remained on top but the defensive partnership of Kevin O’Loughlin and Donald Doherty held firm to keep them at bay. Buncrana started the second half well but failed to create any chances. Aileach carved out another good chance on the hour when Doherty fed Caoimhin McFeely but his low cross evaded Anthony Doherty. On 63 minutes Buncrana took the lead in fortuitous fashion after a Ben Bradley cross shot squirmed under the body of keeper Roulstone. Aileach pressed but only created one chance when McMonagle fed Sean Mullan twelve yards out but he mis- controlled and the chance was lost.



Strand Hotel Division One 

Rasheney  FC               3

QPS Res                        0

Rasheney began well and on 4 minutes Matthew McLaughlin saw an effort hit the inside of the post and roll across before being cleared. Then on 17 minutes a Christopher Ivers dipping effort crashed off the angle of the post and crossbar.The home side opened the scoring on 22minutes when after David Bell made a fine save to deny Charlie Doherty the ball fell to David McLaughlin to slot low to the corner from twelve yards. Three minutes later Doherty ‘s inswinging corner went straight to the net to double the lead. The visitors first effort came on 37 minutes when John McCloskey had a good shot well saved by Kieran Friel. At the other end Charlie Doherty sent McLaughlin clear but Bell again advanced to save well. The point had the first effort of the second period when McCloskey’s cross shot was well gathered by Friel. On the hour Rasheney created a good chance when Doherty sent McLaughlin clear but Bell was equal to the task.Any chance of the point making a comeback evaporated on 66 minutes. Substitute Joe Johnstone unleashed a powerful effort which Friel parried and in attempting to retrieve the ball he conceded a penalty but Paul Grant fired the spot kick wide. Rasheney hit back and substitute Damien Friel fired over before seeing his driven cross just elude Doherty. Then Paddy McGilloway intercepted and fired goalwards but Bell tipped over. When the resultant corner was not cleared   James Mconalogue fired low to the corner from twelve yards. Grant for the visitors then had a late long range effort turned round the post.

Moville Celtic               1

Aileach Res                  0

This was a crucial win for John   L Coyles men and in the process a damaging defeat for Gerard Arbuckle’s side. In the opening exchanges Ryan McDaid for the visitors had a low effort well saved by Sean McGuinness before McDaid had another effort blocked by McGuinness and James Gillespie fired the rebound wide. In this period Michael McNaught for Moville had an effort saved by David McGeady before the keeper gathered Finn McLaughlin’s cross at the second attempt. On 32 minutes Charlie Gill for the home side fired over from twenty five yards while before the break Gillepsie curled a twenty yards shot inches past the post. Moville started the second period well and on 49 minutes Conor Doherty blasted wide from a good position. Then five minutes later the home side  scored the crucial goal when Jack Keys ball over the top sent McNaught clear and he finished cooly past McGeady. Aileach tried to hit back and on 69 minutes substitute Matthew Doherty deliveree a superb cross which two inrushing attackers just failed to make contact with. Late on both  McDaid and Gillespie went close with good efforts but the home defence stood firm.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Cockhill Res                  1      

Moville Res                  1

Cockhill started this match on the front foot forcing a few early corners from sustained pressure but the Moville defence held firm with their keeper Ryan Coyle not tested. Moville looked dangerous on the break with some good link up play between Norbert Indyka and Nathan Harkin. The first real chance of the half came when Cockhill’s Eddie Cuffe was played through who’s shot found its way past Ryan Coyle but did not have enough power and the covering defender Pearse Doherty cleared. Shortly after that Cockhill worked a great chance down the right with Keegan Hegarty cutting in who set up Jude Mullan from just inside the box but his shot sailed over the bar. The first half ended goalless thanks to a good save from Liam Lynch when Norbert Indyka was through after a neat one two, the Cockhill keeper blocked well from Norbert Indyka’s low effort on goal. Cockhill started well in the second half and had Moville on the back foot. Cockhill could not make the early pressure pay with several corners again well defended by Moville. However, Cockhill took a well deserved lead on 65 minutes when Kevin McDaid

ran on to a great through ball from Mark Gillespie to hold off the

challenge of the Moville defenders to slot calmly past the advancing Ryan Coyle. Moville nearly responded with a low, long range effort from Nathan Harkin almost creeped in at the near post but Liam Lynch got down well to save. Moville won a free kick just inside the Cockhill half on 75 minutes and they played it deep in to the Cockhill box and the unmarked James Gillen got the slightest of touches on it with his head to direct it past the advancing Cockhill keeper, Liam Lynch. Ryan Duffy and Kevin McDaid had efforts well blocked by the Moville defence as they pushed for a late winner but Moville held on.

Illies Res                        2      

Buncrana Res               3

This local derby started well with Adrian Donaghey Doherty firing over for the home side while at the other end Alan Friel also failed to hit the target. The home side broke the deadlock when a corner broke to Henry Doherty to fire low past Eoghan O’Doherty from twelve yards. Illies then had a great chance when Charlie McLaughlin broke into the area but fired wide from twelve yards. On the half hour a ball over the top found Friel who controlled well and shot high past Graham Doherty to make it one all. On the stroke of half time Friel laid the ball back to Lee Sean Doherty who hammered to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Illies got back on terms on 55 minutes when Donagehy Doherty despatched a spot kick to the net after a handball in the area. On 75 minutes an inswinging James Downey corner was punched clear by Graham Doherty to Puaric O Flaherty who returned the ball into the area for Friel to back heel into the net. Illies pressed and Liam Grant and Donaghey Doherty both had efforts saved by Donaghhey Doherty.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   Section A

Greencastle Res           4

Gleneely Colts              4

This match was played in excellent conditions and both teams were well up for it. Gleneely started the better putting Greencastle under pressure. Gleneelyopened the scoring when Corey O’Brien crosses for Nathan McLaughlin to control well and fire home . The second goal for Gleneely came from a rebounded shot which was gathered by JP McDermott who drilled the ball  into the bottom left hand corner to make it two nil at the interval. In the second half Greencastle increased the pressure and a defence splitting pass

from Tom Huston found Pauric Gillen who coolly slid the ball into the

bottom left corner of the net .But the visitors responded and

Nathan McLaughlin made it three one when he converted from the penalty spot. A second penalty, this time for Greencastle

from Odhrain McDermott reduced the deficit to the minimum again. But when Nathan McLaughlin completed his  hat-trick poking home from close range to make it four two and it looked all over. With time running out Greencastle pushed forward and were rewarded when Cathal McLaughlin fired home to the far right corner of the net. The same player then salvaged a poit for the home side on the stroke of full time when he ran onto a superb Oran Henry pass before firing home at the near post.

Redcastle Res              2

Glengad Res                 2

In the second minute Glengad got off to a dream start when a Paul McGonigle through found PJ McDaid and he fired low to the corner from fifteen yards. Redcastle settled and Brian Tracey advanced into the area but his effort was well saved by Ronan Lafferty. After Brendan Murphy was upended thirty yards out Tracey’s effort from the free kick was again well gathered by Lafferty as the half ended one nil to Glengad. After an even opening to the second period the home side equalised on the hour mark when the alert Murphy pounced on a loose ball and fired low to the corner from twelve yards. But six minutes later the visitors regained the lead after PJ McDaid crossed for Mark McKinney to volley home from six yards.

Redcastle rally again and on 77 minutes they levelled the game after Evan Craig advances on the left and crosses for Tracey to fire to the top corner from twelve yards.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   Section  B

Rasheney Res              1

Carn Res                       1

In beautiful conditions Kevin Noone had an early chance for the home side when he rounded two defenders but his tame effort was well saved by Fergal Bradley. Carn responded and a superb Cade Coke lay of found Conor Doherty but he fired over from twenty yards.Rasheney upped the tempo and after an Alan Doherty free found Noone his looping header drifted over. Then a Johnathan Toland clearance sent John Downes clear on the left but Bradley parried well and when JackMcLaughlin ‘s follow up was cleared to Tyler McBride his follow up was blocked. At the other end on 41 minutes Dayton Cooke fed Cade Cooke and he hooked just wide. On the stroke of half time the home team took the lead when Matthew Duffy was upended and Toland stepped up to drill the penalty low to the right hand corner. On 49 minutes Duffy raced into the area and slotted past Bradley but  Calvin O Donnell’s came off the post and bounced out. Rasheney then had another chance after a Jack McLaughlin effort was deflected behind before at the other end Niall McGuinness and Michael McDermott had long range efforts saved by Kieran O’Neill. Substitute Ciaran Dillon then scooped a gilt edged chance for the visitors over the bar.The visitors equalised on 72 minutes after substitute Liam Shields was upended and Cade Cooke drilled low inside the right hand post. The same player then swivelled and drove just wide from close range after a loose ball fell to him. The final chances also fell to Cooke after a corner broke to him and he fired through a crowd of players but his effort was cleared and a Calvin O Donnell header which was cleared off the lineby the home defence.

Dunree Res                  1

Aileach Youths             2

Aileach cemented their place at the top of Division 2A and opened the scoring on 22 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for handball and Daithi Grant fired high past Simon Taylor to the top corner. Dunree replied and a Peter O Neill effort from twenty yards was well saved to his right by Dylan Clarke. In the second half Dunree battled and with few chances at either end got back on terms on 77minutes when a Conor Doherty corner was headed home by Frank Kelly. But Aileach rallied and on the stroke of full time a corner broke to Grant on the edge of the area and he fired  low through a crowd of players to the bottom corner.