Match reports 3rd September

Clubman Shirts League Cup

Glengad Utd 0 Clonmany 1 (played Friday)


In a game of few clear goal chances on 20 min

Terance Doherty was played in on the left by Joe Doherty but pull his shot wide. Raymond Doherty headed just wide from  a Mark Mc Laughlin corner on 30 mins. Only goal of the game came 5 min before half time when Mark Mc Laughlin cut in on the left and his shot from inside the box took a deflection to give Gerard Crossan no chance. In second half Glengad Christopher Doherty had a effort from edge of box tipped over the bar by Kevin Friel and a Seamus Doherty free from the angle of the box to a deflection of the wall and the incoming Mark Smith was unable to get a touch with Clonmany holding out for a 1-0 victory.

Sunday 3rd Sept

Premier Division

Illies Celtic 0-6 Clonmany Shamrocks

Clonmany took the lead on 20 min Jason Devlin picked out Oisin Hessian and he fired to the corner of the net past Johnny Noone, it was 2-0 five min later when a mistake in the home defence allowed Dessie Doherty to fire past Noone, Illies had a effort from Liam Grant saved by Friel in the Clonmany goal as the first half ended 2-0 Aiden Doherty shot wide for the home side early in the second half before Clonmany’s Paddy Doherty found Jason Devlin (pictured) who made it 3-0 then Doherty squared to Mark Mc Laughlin to make it 4-0, Jade Harkin then picked out Jason Devlin for 5-0 and Gavin Doherty made it 6-0 beore the end

QPS 2-7 Greencastle

Quigleys Point Swifts 2-7 Greencastle.  Greencastle took the lead in the 3rd minute, Gerry Gill’s corner was punched out by David Bell, Declan Mc Laughlin fired home from 10 yards. They increased the lead on 13 minutes when Gerry Gill put a free kick to the back post, Mark Henry headed back across the goal, Declan Mc Laughlin scored from close range. The swifts first chance came on 32 minutes, Josh Mc Connellogue’s free kick was pushed round the post by Dylan Doherty. Gerry Gill brought a good save from David Bell with a shot from 15 yards. Gill scored a free kick from 20 yards on 40 minutes. The home side pulled a goal back on 54 minutes ,Stephen Slattery floated over a corner, D.J. Canavan shot was touched home by Adam Harkin. A minute later Gerry Gill’s shot was pushed onto the post by substitute Oisin Burke. The swifts reduced the deficit again on 60 minutes, Josh Boyle robbed a defender and raced through to shoot to the back of the net. Greencastle went 4-2 ahead on 79 minutes ,Nigel Mc Monagle (pictured) shot to the roof of the net from a tight angle. Nigel Mc Monagle scored his second goal 2 minutes later when shooting from 18 yards and he completed his hatrick on 86 minutes when he capitalised on a defensive error to score from 12 yards. Josh Mc Connellogue fired a 30 yard free kick for the swifts which Dylan Doherty held comfortably. Christy Hegarty completed the scoring in the last minute when scoring from close range for a 7-2 victory.

Buncrana Hearts             1

Aileach FC                       2 

Aileach started this game against Buncrana the brightest and full back Dermot Doherty saw his shot from 20 yards well saved by O’Doherty in the Hearts goal. That man Doherty was once again on the match forward and following some poor Hearts defending saw his effort flash wide of the target. Hearts however went in front when in form Ben Bradley scored a excellent header following an excellent Kieran McDaid free kick. Gavin Doherty was the next to go close for Aileach but he flashed his close range header over from a corner. Hearts came into the game after that and new signing Darren McFadden saw his long range effort just flash wide. Hearts playermaker Kieran McDaid was the next to go close when he flashed a close range header over the bar following some hesitant Aileach defending. Thomas McMackin almost got Aileach level when he saw his header bounce off the post and into the grateful hands of O’Doherty. Aileach did eventually get level when Anthony Doherty was fouled by O’Doherty. Doherty dusted himself down and sent O’Doherty the wrong way to level the game up. The visitors kept the pressure on and went infront on the stroke of half time when Darren McMonagle’s deflect shot was tapped home by that man Anthony Doherty.
In the second half Hearts came out chasing the game and striker McFadden had a close range shot well saved after a excellent ball through from Benny Halpin. Moments later Aileach almost made the game safe when striker Roman Coyle saw his 25 yard effort just go wide off for target. Declan Fullerton was the next to go close for Hearts when he saw his effort hit the post and go out of play. The final minutes of the game turned into a battle between both sides with Aileach defending well and seeing out the game


Glengad Utd                   1

Carn FC                          0

In a slow paced opening period the first chance did not arrive until the half hour mark. Good build up play along the left involving Jason Doherty and Cathal Mc Daid resulted in the latter’s cross picking out Patrick Mc Dermott but he was brilliantly denied from 6 yards by Carn keeper Greg Doherty. And it was Doherty who came to the rescue and thwarted a Mc Daid free on 40 minutes when Mc Dermott was upended on the edge of the area. The visitors only chance of the opening half fell to Ronan Newman but his longe range effort failed to trouble Crossan in the Glengad goal. A mistake in the Carn defence early in the second half allowed PJ Mc Daid advance in on goal but he dragged his attempt wide of the target. The home side eventually broke the deadlock on 75 minutes when a John Gerard Mc Dermott corner was headed powerfully to the net from 8 yards by Adam Byrne. Carn fashioned an opening for an equaliser with 10 minutes remaining but Brandon Browne, from a good position, shot weakly at Crossan and although they kept pushing forward Glengad held out for an opening day win.


Strand Hotel First Division

Redcastle 4-0 Rasheney

Redcastle went ahead on 8 minutes when Brendan Murphy headed home a Sean Curran corner. Redcastle had another opportunity when a cross field pass from Sean Curran found Jack Mc Connellogue and he forced a save from Friel.  Redcastle went further ahead on the restart when Ethan Canning crossed for Jack Mc Connellogue (Pictured) to slot home. Rasheney had a let off soon after when Emelyn Lackin cleared Murphys goal bound effort of the line. Redcastle made 3 0 on 70 minutes when Aaron Nash got the final touch on Odie Mc Colgan’s goal-bound effort. A Sean Curran free on 81 minutes made it 4-0 to the home side. The visitors continued to battle and John Mc laughlin had Rasheneys best opportunity late on but M Cole came out smartly to clear the danger.

Clonmany Res 1-2 Aileach Res 2

Aileach had the brighter opening and on 12 min Stephen Doherty had a shot just wide before the same player set up Jordan Mc Geady who shot straight at Clonmany keeper Fergal Bradley, Clonmany responded and Nathan Mc Kinney had a effort held by Aileach keeper Charlie Carlin and on 20min Paul Devlin was playid in by Gavin Mc Daid but Carlin got down well to save Aileach took the lead on 24 min  Mc Geady picked out Ciaran Mc Grory who beat Bradley in the home net, in the second half Pierce Mc Carron had a effort for the home side saved by Carlin and at the other end Mc Grory headed wide from a Rauri Bradley cross Clonmany equalises when Alex Mc fadden drew the keeper and slotted home from a tight angle Aileach restored their lead on 78 min when Paddy Curran rounded the home keeper to score Clonmany almost got on level terms in added time when a Aileach defender attempted a back pass which beat their keeper but dribbled past the upright and then Pierce Mc Carrons effort came off the upright

Dunree Utd                    4

Cockhill Youth              2

Dunree took the lead in this local derby when a corner fell to Stephen Mc Laughlin and his low shot from 12 yards found the target. A Ryan Bradley header following a Mc Guinness corner doubled the advantage half way through the opening half. The visitors got themselves back into the match minutes before the break when a Darragh Mc Dermott effort came back off an upright into the path of Michael Owen Doherty who was able to tap home to reduce the deficit. They continued to press in the early stages of the second half and did eventually equalise on the hour mark when SP Fullerton played in Mc Dermott through the middle and from a tight angle he squeezed the ball beyond the reach of Philip Doherty. However, after leading and then being pulled back to parity, upped the tempo and hit the front again on 70 minutes when Daniel Mc Laughlin picked up a ball, cut inside and drove the ball home from an acute angle. Their two goal lead was again established when Dermot Doherty intercepted an attempted pass and set up Liam Baldrick who scored past Declan Caldwell to complete the scoring.

Buncrana Res           5  

Sea Rovers                2

The home side dominated throughout and but for the brilliance of keeper Glenn Watson the scoreline may well have been more emphatic. They had built up a 3 – 1 lead by half time. The lead goal came after 5 minutes when a Michael Doherty cross from the right was finished by Michael Coyle at the near post. Mid way through the half Sea Rovers got back on level terms when Kieran Mc Nicholas finished to the net from close to goal following a corner. However, Buncrana hit the front again after good work down the right saw Coyle cross into the centre where Christy Mc Kinley shot home from 10 yards. A minute prior to the interval they moved into a two goal lead as Coyle was on hand to head home an Eoin Murphy corner. Gerard Boyle moved the scoreline on to 4 – 1 on 65 minutes when his long range free found the net. The visitors then reduced the deficit when Keelan Doherty drove home after the delivery of a corner into the penalty area. The scoring was complete when Murphy outdone Boyle’s earlier score from distance when he let fly from a very long way out and his effort found the top corner.

Moville Celtic       7

Gleneely Colts      3

Moville got off to a dream start in the first minute after Kyle Harkin fed Tony Boyce down the left. His low cross was side footed home from 4 yards by Michael McNaught. (pictured)Three minutes later Gleneely equalised when Dylan McDaid’s corner from the right was misjudged by home keeper Coyle and ended up in the back of the net. Visiting keeper Adrian McDaid did well to parry a McNaught angled shot in the 34th minute and the stopper foiled McNaught again after being put through by Boyce. Gleneely won a penalty in the 39th minute after Cory O’Brien was brought down in the Moville box after a surging run. Ryan Coyle saved well low to his right from Nathan McLaughlin’s spot kick. Boyce’s near post header from a Matty McLaughlin cross was held by Duffy moments later. Moville took the lead on the stroke of half time when Boyce drove into the area from Nathan Harkin’s quick throw, his shot going past Duffy’s right. Gleneely nearly equalised at the restart but Coyle did well to block Dylan McDaid’s angled drive with Harkin clearing off the line. McNaught got two in two minutes to stretch the lead, firstly a low left footed shot past the keeper and in off the post, then a header from a lovely Kyle Harkin cross. Gleneely made it 4-2 when McDaid got his second from a 40 yard free kick. Moville got their fifth moments later after McNaught drove low into the corner from Conor Doherty’s pass. McNaught got his fifth and Moville’s sixth in the 75th minute when he and Norbert Indyka combined on the right to allow Conor Doherty to flick into McNaught’s path where he dispatched low into the far corner. Gleneely reduced the arrears in the 81st minute when Jordan O’Brien slammed in from 5 yards from Nathan McLaughlin’s corner. Moville finished the scoring two minutes later to make it 7-3 when Nathan Harkin latched on to a poor Gleneely clearance to chip the keeper from 35 yards and into the net. 


Inishowen Engineering Division Two

Aileach Youths 1-2 Illies Reserves

Played on Friday night, the early exchanges showed signs of rustiness on both sides with the opening passages of play breaking down frequently.  Aileach had the first chance on the half hour when Daibhidh Grant had a snap shot form 25 yards that went wide of Kevin Gallagher’s goal.  Aileach took the lead in injury time of the first half when Ryan McDaid’s free kick was swept to the back post where Benny Hegarty (pictured) headed back across the goal into the path of Stephen Doherty who headed home from six yards to give Aileach the lead going into the break.  The second half continued the same pattern of the first with Illies content to soak up pressure and break, while Aileach’s play kept breaking down in the final third.  On the hour, a through ball from Benny Hegarty found Patrick Curran on the right and his shot across the goal went narrowly wide.  On 70 minutes, Illies found an equaliser when a corner by Andy Graham on the right was headed in by Joe McLaughlin from 10 yards.  With 10 minutes to go, Illies forced another corner on the right, Graham again delivered the corner into a dangerous area and following a scramble Kealan Whoriskey fired his shot into the roof of the net.  Both sides visibly tired after this with Aileach unable to find a response.

Carn  Reserves 1 Dunree Reserves 0

Dunree got the 1st shot on 3 mins though ball from Bryce Fullerton found michael Farrell who shot left and wide. Dunree had the best of the possession in the first 15 mins. Carn got a chance their when Jordan mclaughlin made a cross to find darragh Deery who shot to the left and wide. Carn’s Cade Cooke squared for his brother Dylan Cooke whose shot was pushed away to the left by roger mcgilloway in the Dunree goal and fell to darragh Deery who shot to the side netting. Carn broke the deadlock on 31 mins when a corner from Cade Cooke  on the right found darragh Deery who headed it to the bottom right corner of the net from six yards. On 39 mins michael Farrell pulled the ball back to Bryce Fullerton whose shot went over the bar. Dunree started to come into the game in the 2nd half  and had a chance on 53 mins when James doherty tried to lob  the keeper from 30 yards but went over the bar. On 60 mins David Eccles fed Gerry Farrell who shot to the right and wide. Carn got a good chance to make it 2-0 on 65 minutes when michael mcdermott fed Dylan Cooke to shot an overhead kick but was well stopped by roger mcgilloway. On 77 minutes substitute niall mcguinness crossed from the right on the edge of the 18 yard box and found Dylan Cooke who shot to the left and wide. Dunree were reduced to 10 men on 86 mins. The referee then abandoned the game.



Greencastle Res 5  6 Glengad Res

This game was switched to the Crua and provided plenty of goals the first goal came on 20 min when Greencastle’s Gavin Rowan fired a 20yard effort to top corner for the lead it was short lived as Glengad levelled 2 min later a Cathal Doherty free from 25 yards they increased their leas on 35 min when John Mc daid played in Paul Mc Gonigle to slot home for a 2-1 half time lead, Garry Kelly made it 3-1 on 50 min from a Mark Mc Kinney cross and Aiden Barnbrack made it 4-1 on 55 min Greencastle got one back on 57 min Jason Mc Kinney from the penalty spot for 4-2 Cathal Doherty made it 5-2 on 63 min and Owen Doherty scored on 75 min for 6-2 Greencastle were then reduced to 10 men before Ronan Doherty (pictured) scored a hat trick in the last 10 min for a final score of 6-5

Culdaff Res                2  

Carrowmena FC       1

The home side was first to show when Michael Mc Fadden fed Aiden Cunningham who in turn laid off to Matthew Melarkey but his shot was saved by Dean Mc Geoghan. Carrowmena responded with Mark Doherty delivering across the face of goal but there were no takers. In another attack a long ball from defence was controlled by Oran Mc Dermott but he was out of luck when his shot beat keeper Oran Raymond but hit the crossbar. At the other end Melarkey pass found Jack O’ Brien whose shot was beat away by Mc Geoghan with the ball falling to Martin Keddy who was unable to capitalise. Culdaff finished the half strongly with Keddy getting on the end of a Mc Fadden free but his header hit the post. The visitors had the opportunity of moving in front early in the second half when a Doherty cross found the unmarked Mc Dermott who was well placed to apply a finish but his header was over. Culdaff took the lead midway through the second half. Cunningham latched onto to forward delivery from Mc Fadden – moved wide and laid back into the path of Melarkey who finished well to the far corner from just inside the box. Melarkey doubled the advantage two minutes later when he headed back across goal into the far corner following a corner. With 10 minutes remaining Carrowmena almost pulled a goal back after Andrew Mc Laughlin’s long free found Robert Kane but a last ditch tackle from Gary Smith saved the day as the former was about to pull the trigger. They set up a grandstand finish when Samuel Bredin’s free from all of 40 yards eluded everyone and dropped in at the back post and although they pushed hard for an equaliser the home side held out for the win.



Cockhill Res            2

Moville Res              2

This match was switched to Moville where the home side created the first good opportunity on 8 mins after a cagey opening when Colm Doherty shot over the top from the edge of the box after some good build up play. Cockhill responded shortly after when a deep cross from Gary Breslin found Ryan Duffy free at the back post but his effort on goal went just wide. Midway through the first half Moville again threatened, this time PJ Barr testing Gary Robinson in the Cockhill goal but the Cockhill keeper saved well. Duffy again was unlucky not to give Cockhill the lead when he shot narrowly wide after being played in by Lee Carey. After some more chances for both sides good play be Pearse Doherty set up Ryan McColgan who had a great chance but headed wide. Moville had the ball in the net shortly after this. Graeme Doherty hit the bar with a good effort from 20 yards and Adam Harkin stuck away the rebound but from an offside position. It was Cockhill who had the next chance and finally broke the deadlock. Declan Kearney crossed in a great ball from a free kick which was only partially cleared but landed at the feet of Gary Breslin who made no mistake from 12 yards to put Cockhill 1 up with finely hit strike past Pauric Carey Doherty in the Moville goal. Moville almost levelled before half-time when a shot on goal from Pearse Doherty clipped the top of the bar. The home side started the second half well and Robinson made a great save from Mc Colgan. There was not too many clear cut chances during a scrappy start to the second half until on the hour mark Declan Kearney ran on to a great through pass by Duffy. He was fouled in the box and pulled himself up to score from the spot to give Cockhill a 2 – 0 lead. Moville got themselves right back in the match within 2 minutes. A long ball forward was knocked on and Pearse Doherty who made a good run was on the end of it to slot home from just inside the box. There followed a long stoppage after Cockhill’s Andy McElhinney received a nasty would to his mouth and had to substituted. Moville started the brigher of the 2 sides after the stoppage and their long forward ball were causing the Cockhill defence some problems. However it was Cockhill who almost scored next when Moville keeper, Pauric made good stop at the feet of Lee Carey when through one on one. Moville almost equalised when an effort from Barr spun high in the box but was cleared off the line by Duffy. They eventually equalised when Shaun McDaid was judged to have fouled Moville’s Ryan Killen in the box and Pearse Doherty stepped up to slam the penalty home to make it 2 – 2.Cockhill almost found a late winner when good work between Jude Mullan created a chance for Lee Carey but the Moville keeper made a good stop and the match ended in a draw.