Match Reports 26th Feb

Inishowen Football League 26th February

Ulster Junior Cup     

Gweedore Celtic                   0

Glengad United                     3

Glengad, the holders,  dominated this game from start to finish and Michael Byrne headed an early chance over before Shane Canning unleashed a powerful effort which was tipped over by McKelvey. On the stroke of half time Terence Doherty opened the scoring when he cut in from the left and fired low to the bottom corner. Five minutes into the second period Patrick McDermott curled a superb twenty yards effort into the top corner. Midway through the half good work by Seamus Doherty on the right saw him pull the ball back for McMonagle to drill home from twelve yards.Glengad were content to see out the game in the final quarter to advance to the semi finals.

Kilmacrennan Celtic              1

Culdaff FC                              3

The visitors started this game the better and took the lead on 10 minutes when Brendan McLaughlin played a one two with Eugene Mclaughlin before flicking over a defender and finishing well. Mclaughlin added his second then when he converted a Eugene Mclaughlin cross from the left . It got better for the visitors  when Brendan McLaughlin crossed for Eugene McLaughlin  to convert from close range and make it three nil. But Kilmacrennan rallied and reduced the deficit just before the interval when Michael McLaughlin ran through the visitors defence and slotted low past Darragh McLaughlin. Kilmacrennan exerted most of the pressure  but the closest they came was when Chris Dillon as denied by a fine save by Darragh McLaughlin. The more the home side pressed the more Culdaff had chances late on and Paul McLaughlin  was twice denied by good saves from  Caolan McGettigan.

Aileach FC                    3       ( won 4.2 on penos)

Drumoghill Celtic         3

After an even opening the home side broke quickly with Anthony Doherty finding Jordan McGeady inside the area and he turned well to fire low past Michael Toner. On 20 minutes Stephen McKendry crossed from the left but it just eluded Caoimhin McFeely. On the half hour a free kick broke to Gavin Doherty on the edge of the area and his well struck effort was superbly saved by Toner. The visitors settled keeping possession well and were rewarded on 40 minutes when the unmarked Padjoe Lafferty headed home from six yards. Within minutes Aileach regained the lead when McFeely ran through to beat Toner to the ball and slide it home. On 50 minutes Rafferty outpaced the home defence and rolled the ball past the advancing John Roulstone.  Aileach responded well with Gavin Doherty seeing a header clip the outside of the post before the same player was denied by a brilliant save from Toner clawing the ball away as it looked destined for the top corner. With 15 minute remaining an Anthony Doherty cross was cleared to Darren McMonagle who drove a sweet effort to the top corner despite Toner getting a finger tip to it. But defensive frailities came to the fore again with Christian Ferns glanced a header past Roulstone to force extra time. In the first period Anthony Doherty had a well struck effort crash off the bar. Both teams tired in the second period and in the shootout Roulstone saved two as Aileach advanced.

Ulster Junior Shield 

Cavan Rovers               5  (win 4.3 in sudden death penos )

Rasheney  FC               5

Rasheney got a dream start when Charlie Doherty converted a  penalty awarded for handball in the second minute. The home side responded and Kieran Friel saved well from Fintan Galligan before gathering at the second attempt rom an Ahmed Fouzal effort. Rasheney went close after a David McLaughlin deep cross was volleyed over by Declan McLaughlin.Midway through the half Damien Friel crossed for Tiernan Devine whose header was cleared off the line for Declan McLaughlin to slot home. Doherty then cut in from the left but saw his effort saved by Joe McDermott. The home side got a goal back on 31minutes when a low Mano Galligan cross was missed by a defender allowing Conor Carmichael to slot home. Rasheney were then awarded a second penalty after another handball which Doherty again converted and the home side were reduced to ten men as well. Before the break Matthew Mclaughlin was red carded as well which bemused the travelling contingent.

Rasheney went four one ahead on 53 minutes when a Friel corner was forced home from close range by James McConalogue. But the home side rallied and reduced the deficit when Galligan converted at the back post. On 59 minutes Charlie Doherty was clear of the home defence but his attempted lob drifted wide. Rovers were awarded a disputed penalty on 67 minutes which Gordon Clark converted and they equalised on 70 minutes when Michael Sexton ran onto a ball over the top to slot past Friel. They completed an amazing turnaround on 83 minutes when Galligan advanced on the left to fire low past Friel. Rasheney responded and forced extra time when they equalised after substitute John Grant fired low to the corner from the edge of the area. Neither side created a clear chance in extra time and so it went to the shootout with the home side advancing after sudden death but Rasheney will rue throwing away a four one lead in a twenty minute period.

Illies Res              0

Culdaff Res         4

This game was reversed to Caratra Park and in good conditions Culdaff started the better but failed to convert a couple of  good chances. The first chance fell to Cathal McGrenaghan after his flicked header was hacked off the line he fired the rebound over the bar from ten yards on 18  minutes. Just after the half hour mark another corner found Niall McLaughlin but he could not direct his header on target. McLaughlin and Aiden Cunningham both had efforts on target well saved by Graham Doherty in the Illies goal. Illies came more into the game before the interval but failed to create any chances. They started the second period well and took the lead on 54 minutes when a Gavin Doherty corner was not cleared and Charlie McLaughlin fired past Callum Doherty from point blank range. They increased their lead midway through the half when Adam Callaghan fed Joe McDaid who fired a brilliant effort to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Culdaff replied and Cunningham broke on the right and fired across Doherty but just past the post. But Illies sealed the tie when another Gavin Doherty corner found Martin Donaghey who headed to the roof of the net. They made it four nil when Joe McDaid released Dominic Doherty and he fired low to the corner from a tight angle.





Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Greencastle FC             2

Carn FC                         1


In a good game played in stickey conditions the home side started the better but failed to create clear chances. Carn grew into  the game and Ryan Kelly and Darragh Deery both had good chances well saved by JP O Doherty. But the home side took the lead on 27 minutes  after a Christy Hegarty was tipped onto the bar by Kyle Dougal but James Henry pounced to fire home and give them an interval lead. Greencastle started the second period  well and Michael Henry twice and Hegarty spurned good chances. Carn responded and Deery and Dion Diver both drew good saves from O’Doherty before they equalised on 85 minutes when Ronan Doherty released Shane Doherty to finish low to the corner. Greencastle hit back immediately when Shaun Doherty and Matthew Henry fed Michael Henry whose effort was parried by Dougal for Hegarty to pounce and drill the loose ball home.








Strand Hotel Division One      

Moville Celtic               2

Cockhill Celtic              1

Moville kept their promotion hopes alive with this narrow win over Cockhill for whom this defeat will make it even more difficult but they are still in with a chance. They had an early chance when Michael McNaught ran onto a Jack Keys pass but fluffed his effort from a good position. Cockhill replied immediately and broke the deadlock when Darragh McDermott converted from the penalty spot after a handball. Ryan Coyle then in the home goal blocked well with his legs before Michael Owen Doherty controlled inside the area but fired over. Moville raised the tempo and both Billy McCann , Keys and Finn McLaughlin were all denied by Cockhill keeper Sean Parker.  Cockhill finished the half the stronger with McDermott firing into the side netting while the same player got on the end of a Sean Donaghey cross but fired over. Moville started the second half well on top with Charlie Gill seeing an effort blocked before firing the rebound over, McNaught shooting weakly from a good position and PJ Barr seeing his effort parried by Parker. They equalised then on the hour when a deep corner was not cleared and Gill bundled the ball home at the back post. They continued to press and Gill saw one header cleared off the line and another crash back off the bar. Substitute Nathan Harkin twice was denied by Parker before the home side struck for the winner. Substitute Conor Doherty released McNaught and he fired a low shot past the advancing   Parker.

Carrowmena  FC                    1

Illies Celtic                              7

Illies seem to be hitting form at the right time and kept their league title hopes alive with this comprehensive win which confirms relegation for the home side. Illies made a blistering start when Kevin McGonagle crossed to the back post where Ryan McElhinney slotted home from eight yards. They added another on 9 minutes when Liam Doherty advanced unchallenged to fire a low shot past Michael Noone from twenty yards. Carrowmena came more into the game then with Conor Lafferty just failing to get on the end of a Pearse Parkinson cross before Dane Doherty forced a good save from Johnathan Noone. They reduced the deficit on 26minutes after a Lafferty cross found substitute John McLaughlin who fired to the top corner with his first touch. But Illies killed the game as a contest  with two goals in the opening ten minutes of the second half. Paddy Doherty released Michael Coyle on the right and he slotted home  from ten yards. Minutes later Paddy Doherty advanced from midfield and with the home defence back tracking unleashed a powerful effort which Noone got a hand to but could not prevent crossing the line. On 71 minutes Coyle got his second when he pounced on a defensive error to slot home. A sliced clearance from a defender flew into the net to make it six  and Coyle completed his hat trick after good work by Kevin McElhinney and Liam Grant had set him up.

Clonmany Res              6

QPS Res                        1

The visitors had the first chance when a Paul Hegarty free found Kevin Wallace whose diving header flashed wide. Clonmany replied with a Jack Doherty cross finding Dessie Doherty but his header was well saved by David Bell. Clonmany opened the scoring on 15 minutes when Jack Doherty unleashed an effort which came off the post and he fired the rebound home. They increased their lead on 22 minutes when Conor Doherty found Jack Doherty who sidestepped a defender and crossed for brother Brendan to head home from eight yards. Just before the break Danny Devlin collected the ball on half way and burst past two men before chipping Bell from the edge of the area. Number four arrived on 58 minutes when Devlin beat a defender and crossed for Doherty to slot home. On 63 minutes Dessie Doherty got another when a free kick into the area broke to him and he slotted home. They then added a sixth when Dessie Doherty advanced through the middle and released Brendan Doherty who slipped the ball low past Bell. QPS replied with a consolation on 77 minutes after a Paul Grant free found substitute Joe Johnstone who controlled before firing past Liam McGonigle. McGonigle picked up an injury and was replaced by Devlin for the remaining minutes but there was no further goalmouth action.




Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A       

Glengad Res                 4

Greencastle Res           1

In a tightly contested game the visitors opened the scoring on 11 minutes after John McDermott beat a defender on the left and fired high past Ronan Lafferty from the edge of the area. Minutes later the home side should have levelled when the unmarked Gary Kelly headed a Shane Devlin cross wide of a gaping goal. They had another chance when Paul McGonagle broke into the area but his effort was blocked by a defender. They did equalise when McGonagle’s deep corner found Mark Smith who headed high to the net from six yards. Ten minutes into the second period PJ McDaid released Kelly whose effort was superbly saved by  Fergus Kerr in the Greencastle goal. On the hour Kelly fed McDaid in a one on one but again Kerr blocked with his legs. Joe Doherty then unleashed a first time effort but Kerr was equal to the task. The pressure told on 80 minutes when a John McDaid  cross into the area found McDaid and he slid in to slot home. They sealed the points when Kelly crossed for McDaid to fire high to the net. In injury time McDaid completed  his hat trick when he cut in and fired high to the net from twelve yards.

Redcastle Res              1

Moville Res                  3

Redcastle started well and opened the scoring when Mark Doherty intercepted a back pass  and rolled the ball home .But on 35 minutes the visitors got back on terms when Terry McColgan failed to hold a speculative effort allowing Nathan Harkin to slot home. Moville took the lead on the hour mark when James Gillen capitalised on poor defending and slotted home from close range. Redcastle replied and Brendan Murphy fired over before Fergal Buchanan had an effort saved by Ryan Coyle. Moville then sealed the points when Harkin despatched a twenty yards effort to the roof of the net on 82 minutes.




Inishowen Engineering Division Two  B     

Cockhill  Res                 3

Aileach Youths             1

Cockhill started the brighter of the two side early on pushing Aileach back but without really testing Dylan Clarke. Aileach gradually came in to the game and tested Gary Robinson in the Cockhill net with a 25 yard shot from Liam Collins but was comfortably saved the Cockhill keeper. Cockhill responded to the Aileach pressure when young Tristan Donaghy turned well from a good early ball forward by Jude Mullan, Tristan turned his man well but was unlucky with the effort on goal from the edge of the area, Dylan Clarke making the save.

Despite the bright start from Cockhill they found themselves a goal down on the half hour mark when Liam Collins found the target, crashing a 25 yard shot in of the far post past Gary Robinson who could do little to stop a fine effort. The lead didn’t last long as Cockhill fought back to level matters with in a few minutes. Good work down the right by James Barber and Ryan Mallett forced a corner.  Keegan Hegarty delivered a great front post corner where

Ryan Mallett met it with a bullet  header in to the near top corner to

level the match up. Just before half time time Cockhill took a deserved lead, Eddie Cuffe found himself with a bit of space and time just outside the Aileach penalty box and looped a great curling effort in at the back post to make it two one to Cockhill. Cockhill started the second half on the front foot. Tristan Donaghy turned two

Aileach defenders inside out down the left with some great skill and

crossed it in to a dangerous area but Dylan Clarke did well to cut the

cross out. Keegan Hegarty was troubling Aileach down the left and as he drove forward the ball broke back to Ryan Duffy who put in a great early cross for Eddie Cuffe to head home for his second of the match and give Cockhill a two goal cushion.Cockhill almost made it 4 shortly after when great play in the middle between Ryan Duffy and Jude Mullan to create an opening for Tristan Donaghy who’s great run down the channel was found by Jude Mullan but Dylan Clarke

made a great stop and the feet of Tristan Donaghy to keep Aileach in it. Aileach pushed hard to find a goal and had some luck down their left hand side with good inter play between Shane McMonagle and Stephen O’Donnell causing the Cockhill defense some problems, breaking in to the Cockhill box but failing to get an effort in on goal.With Aileach pushing on they forward several free kicks late on but failed to trouble Gary Robinson in the Cockhill goal with both efforts not finding the target. Cockhill forced a few late half chances with Jude Mullan and Patrick McLaughlin having their shots block by the  Aileach defence .


Dunree Res                  1

Carn Res                       4

After an even opening Carn took the lead on 19 minutes when Niall McGuinness fired a twenty five yards free kick high past Roger McGilloway. The home side replied and a Conor Doherty corner was headed home by David Doherty past Dean Mason. Carn got a dream start to the second period when in the opening minute a quick break ended with Cade Cooke slotting home from close range. Dunree replied with Neil Moran seeing a low effort well saved by Mason before Masson saved again from Stephen McLaughlin. Carn added a third when Cooke raced onto a long ball to round the keeper and slot home.He completed his hat trick with a superb finish to the top corner from ten yards