Match Reports 24th September

Charlie O Donnell Cup

Illies Celtic                             0

Redcastle United                  2

In a tight and tense affair Redcastle progressed to the next round with two goals required In extra time against a young and hard working illies team. The first half seen both teams struggle to keep possession with both keepers never really tested  and it ended scoreless.The second half began with Redcastle taking the game to their opponents .Aaron Nash first brought a top class save from Johnathan Noone before Shaun Curran let fly from thirty yards which Noone again produced a wonderful save turning the ball over at full stretch. Illies were finding little opportunity from the redcastle back four and were limited to long range efforts from Paddy Doherty and Adrian Donaghey Doherty. Redcastle contuined to push forward  and

Brendan Murphy saw a header from eight yards flash just past the post from Oddie mc colgans pinpoint cross.Noone again denied Nash with an excellent stop before mc Colgans effort was saved to send the game into extra time.Five  minutes into extra time  Nashs quick pass put Oddie mc Colgan through and from a tight angle the front man finished superbly. Redcastle kicked on and pushed for a second which game on the break were centre back Dean Curran travelled the length of the field played a one two with Murphy and slotted past Noone at the second attempt to seal Redcastle’s passage to the quarter finals.

Clubman Shirts League Cup Quarter Finals

Moville Celtic               2

Glengad United            0

The home side had the first chance when they forced successive corners and from the second of those a Norbert Indyka overhead kick  was well saved by Gerard Crossan. Glengad replied and a well hit Seamus Doherty effort was superbly turned round the post by Ryan Coyle. Glengad broke the deadlock on 27 minutes when Patrick McDermott converted a penalty low to the keepers right after Cathal McDaid was upended. Glengad had another chance when  Seamus Doherty headed narrowly over. Moville went close before the break when a Kevin McDermott ballover the top found whose effort was parried by Gerard Crossan who recovered to block Finn McLaughlin’s follow up. Glengad had the first chance of the second period when Seamus Doherty fired over the bar before the home side replied with McNaught firing wide  before Finn McLaughlin saw his glancing header from a  corner Crossan to McNaught whose driven effort crashed off the post. Glengad made them pay the price when they doubled their lead on 69 minutes when after great play by Cathal McDaid on the right his cross was slotted home by substitute John G McDermott.  McDaid then had a good effort saved by Coyle while at the other end Crossan saved well to deny McNaught.

Illies Celtic                    4

Cockhill Youth              2

There was an explosive opening first half with six goals a red card and loads of action in this local derby. Illies took the lead on 2 minutes when a Liam Grant corner was headed home from a tight angle by Paddy Doherty past Declan Caldwell. Then another corner from the opposite side saw Paddy Doherty head back across for Adrian Donaghey Doherty to  fire home from the edge of the area. It soon became three nil after Kevin McGonagle split the defence for John Campbell to race clear and slot home. Cockhill then got a goal back on 22 minutes after Ronan McLaughlin pounced on an error to drill low past Johnathan Noone.  Illies were reduced to ten men on the half hour when Paddy Doherty was red carded for handling on the line and Darragh McDermott fired the spot kick low and hard to Noone’s right. But Illies rallied and on 41 minutes Campbell raced past three defenders and fed Grant who fired low past Caldwell from the edge of the area to make it four two at the break. Cockhill had a great chance on 51 minutes when Darragh McDermott headed wide after a pin point Shane A Doherty cross  before Marty Doherty had an effort saved by Noone. Illies replied with Campbell beating two men and crossing for Gavin Doherty who headed wide with the goal at his mercy before Campbell blazed wide from a tight angle. In the last minute Noone made a brilliant save to deny Ronan Mclaughlin.

Greencastle FC            1

Aileach FC                    1

In the opening minute a Nigel McMonagle cross  was headed clear by Thomas McMonagle to Joe Doherty but his return was gathered by Peter Devlin before Matthew Henry had an effort blocked by a defender. At the other end a Darren McMonagle twenty five yards free was well saved low to his right by Martin McLaughlin. Greencastle replied and a Matthew Henry effort was well gathered low to his right by Devlin. The best chance of the half fell to the visitors on the half hour after Anthony Doherty raced clear onto a long ball from Caoimhin McFeely but he dragged his effort wide. They were unlucky minutes later when Mark McElhinney ghosted in at the back post but saw his header crash off the bar. Greencastle ended the half strongly and when Henry evaded three challenges his effort was deflected wide before a Gerry Gill free was headed back across goal by Michael Barr but there were no takers. In the second period Dermot and Gavin Doherty fired over for the visitors while Thomas McMonagle ha an effort saved. At the other end Nigel McMonagle saw an effort smothered by Peter Devlin while Christy Hegarty saw a chip drift over and McMonagle had another effort saved. Greencastle upped the tempo and Michael Barr had an effort from distance saved while Henry had a shot blocked and Peter Devlin also denied Hegarty.  On 87 minutes Barr lifted the ball over the visitors defence for McMonagle to race clear and he finished superbly despite Devlin getting a hand to it. But deep in injury time Darren McMonagle ghosted in behind the home defence to slot home and force extra time. In the first period of extra time  Aileachs Dermot Doherty and Darren McMonagle both had efforts saved. Three minutes into the second period of extra time Aileach struck for the winner when Gareth McGlynn broke on the right and he crossed for Dermot Doherty to score with an audacious back heel flick which flew into the bottom corner. Greencastle threw everything forward but all they had to show as a Mark Henry effort which was blocked.

Redcastle United                  1

Buncrana Hearts                   0

Redcastle United provided the shock of the round when disposing of premier division Buncrana Hearts in the league cup quarter final. ​​​​​Redcastle started this game well against  Buncrana Hearts. They had the opening opportunity when a Sean Curran free found Denim Mc Laughlin but Liam mc Gonagle in the buncrana goal made the save. Buncrana had their share of possession without testing home keeper Mccole. Brendan Murphy had the best of the remaining chances in the half forcing a save from McGonagle for the home side The second half began with Buncrana testing McCole on two

occasions, first though a Gerard Boyle shot and then holding a effort from Darragh O’Connor. Redcastle took the lead on 67 minutes when Chris O Donnell played in Murphy and he side stepped a defender before finding the bottom corner. As the game entered the closing stages Buncrana pushed hard for a breakthrough but the home defence stood firm. The visitors were denied an equaliser right at the end when McCole pulled off a brilliant close range save from Boyles stinging shot .


Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Carn FC                0

Culdaff FC           1

Carn started the game the better with Brandon Browne firing wide from twelve yards before Ryan Kelly headed over from a Ronan Doherty free kick. Culdaff responded and broke the deadlock when a Dermot Diver free found Conor Keddy whose effort crashed off keeper Kyle Dougal and Michael Coyle slotted home from six yards. Brandon Browne then fired over from distance as Carn looked to respond. Culdaff ad a good spell then with Coyle firing wide before a Ryan Greene header from a corner was brilliantly saved by Dougal. On the stroke of half time a Dion Diver  cross was headed over by Darragh Browne. In a tight second period Dermot Doherty fired one effort wide before he had another saved by Darragh McLaughlin. Declan McGonigle then got on the end of an Aaron McCarron cross but drove wide. Culdaff replied and Conor Keddy  fed Coyle who laid the ball off to Brendan McLaughlin  but he failed to hit the target when well placed. The final chance fell to the home side but Shane Doherty blazed over from the edge of the area.


Strand Hotel Division One

Rasheney FC                0

Dunree United             6

In good conditions Rasheney had the first chance when Philip Doherty in the visitors goal advanced to beat the inrushing Brendan Doherty to the ball. At the other end a Ryan Bradley header was well gathered by Sean Friel. Dunree took the lead midway through the half after a Philip McGuinness cross was chested into his own net by an unfortunate defender. McGuinness then curled a superb effort just past the angle of the post and crossbar before Friel  made a superb tip over from a Daniel McLaughlin effort and from the corner Liam Baldrick saw his header skim the crossbar. Rasheney replied and a Charlie Doherty effort was spilled by Doherty but Damien Friel fired wildly over. On 40 minutes Michael Toland released Friel on the right but his across eluded all. Dunree then scored a second on 44 minutes when a brilliant Ryan Bradley effort curled just inside the post. Dunree added a third within minutes of the restart when Sean Doherty converted a penalty after Ryan Bradley was adjudged to have been impeded. On 57 minutes McGuinness then crossed for Bradey to control and drill home from twelve yards. Rasheney then had an effort from Charlie Doherty saved before a solo run from McGuinness saw him advance into the area and drill low past Friel inside his near post. Substitute Thomas Doherty then lifted the ball over Friel and with the goal gaping lobbed the ball over the empty net. At the other end David McLaughlin had a shot and a header both saved by Philip Doherty.Dunree completed the scoring when Thomas Doherty crossed for Liam Baldrick to glance a header past Friel.

Gleneely Colts              1

Sea Rovers                    0

After five minutes Nathan McLaughlin fired into the side netting from a tight angle while Rovers replied when a corner by Mark Doherty went straight across the area and eluded all. Gleneely then replied on 35 minutes after a Dylan McDaid cross found Billy McCann  who fired over from the edge of the area. Rovers then had a chance on the stroke of half time when Gary Doherty fed Keelan Doherty and he shot at Adrian Duffy from fifteen yards. Gleneely broke the deadlock on 56 minutes when a long clearance by Duffy released McCann who lobbed Glen Watson from fifteen yards. Minutes later Rovers Keelan Doherty fired a free kick straight at Duffy before on 75 minutes the same player released Mark Doherty who failed to hit the target when well placed. Gleneely responded with Mclaughlin feeding McCann who fired high and wide from inside the area. In the last ten minutes Rovers poured forward but the home side with John Doherty and Jordan o Brien in commanding form stood firm.

Buncrana Res               3

Clonmany Res              3

Buncrana started this game well and Michael Coyle had an effort brilliantly saved by Kieran Friel before a John Timlin free was well saved low to his right. On 33 minutes Timlin’s header saw Friel make another superb save before the home side went ahead when Timlin fired a twenty yards free to the top corner. Minutes before the break  Liam McCarron  unleashed a twenty yards effort which cashed off the bar with Friel stranded.  Clonmany had the first chance of the second half when Gavin McDaid unleashed a low effort which Ryan O Sullivan saved well. Buncrana then  increased their lead when James Quigley crossed for Harry Forshaw to slam home at the back post. Clonmany rallied and on 67 minutes a Johnathan McDaid cross cum shot eluded O Sullivan and landed in the top corner. Then on 75 minutes Paul Devlin finished superbly from the penalty spot to level the game. Buncrana were unlucky then when Quigley saw an effort crash off the post before Clonmany completed the turnaround when Gavin McDaid raced clea to round O Sullivan and slot home. Deep in injury time a Mark McFadden cross was headed high past Friel by Coyle to salvage a share of the spoils.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Dunree Res                  2

Illies Res                        2

With defences on top there were few chances in the opening twenty minutes. But on 28 minutes the home side took the lead when Bryce Fullerton played the ball over the top for Simon Taylor to drill low past Graham Doherty. Illies got back on terms on the stroke of half time when Ronan Hegarty converted a penalty past Roger McGilloway after he had been fouled in the area. The game opened up in the second period and the home side got their noses in front on 66 minutes when Cathal Doherty split the visitors defence with a superb pass for Martin McDermott  to fire low past Doherty. But Illies rallied and equalised on 88 minutes when a Stephen McGonagle free found Liam O Connor who converted from close range. Dunree almost snatched a last minute winner when a Luke Bradley free crashed back off the crossbar with Doherty beaten.

Culdaff Res                   2

Redcastle Res               4

The visitors got off to a dream start when the unmarked Mark Doherty fired low to the corner from twelve yards on 5 minutes. Culdaff rallied and equalised on 12 minutes after Niall McLaughlin rose highest to head a Jack O Brien corner to the top corner. Minutes later McLaughlin fired the home side in front after he connected with a Matt McDaid cross to slot home from six yards. Martin Keddy then had an effort well saved by Redcastle keeper Paul Doherty. Redcastle upped the tempo and  Marty Byrne saw a free kick crash off the bar before they got back on terms when Ronan Hoy found space in the area to drill low past Daniel Mullarkey. Redcastle then took the lead on 32 minutes when Hoy crossed for Terry McColgan to head past Mullarkey from ten yards. They increased their lead when McColgan superbly lobbed Mullarkey from twenty five yards before on the stroke of half time McColgan headed just wide. The second period was a much closer affair with defences on top and few chances of note at either end. The only real chance came late on to the visitors when Mark Doherty had an effort which was brilliantly saved by Mullarkey.

Carn Res                       1

Glengad Res                 5

On 7 minutes the home side had a chance when Cade Cooke fed brother Dayton but his effort was parried by Ronan Lafferty. They took the lead minutes later when Michael McDermott fired a stunning thirty yards free to the top corner. But Glengad levelled on 13 minutes after Paul McGonigle released Mark McKinney and he squared for John McDaid to slot home. Gary Kelly then headed over from a corner bfore the visitors took the lead on 25 minutes. Christopher McLaughlin crossed from the left and John G McDermott slotted home from twelve yards. Before the break the  visitors had another chance when PJ McDaid saw an effort cleared by keeper Gregory Doherty. Glengad made it three one on 51 minutes when McDermott slotted home after a Gary Kelly effort had been parried. McDermott then advanced on the left and crossed for McDaid to poke home from close range. Carn tried to reply with substitute Kevin McLaughlin finding Cade Cooke but he fired just wide. On 82 minutes Glengad completed the scoring when McDermott went past two defenders and crossed for Oran Doherty to slot home.

Cockhill Res                  2

Rasheney Res               1

Both teams started well but it was Rasheney who were first to hit the

target after 10 minutes when Paddy McGilloway hit a good shot from outside the box but it was well saved by Cockhill keeper Ryan Fitzpatrick. Cockhill were next to threaten and shortly after when on 15 minutes Adam McCarron hit a great shot from long range but it was just off target. Rasheney responded and Ryan Fitzpatrick was on hand again to clear the danger from another Paddy McGilloway effort on goal. As play moved from one end to the other it was Cockhill who took the lead after 25 minutes. Some good play down the right between Cian Downey and  Adam McLaughlin created an opportunity for Cockhill as Rasheney failed to  clear their lines James Barber crossed the ball back in which found its way in to the net off the back post past Tiernan Devine to give Cockhill the lead.However Cockhill were not in front for long as a long ball forward caught the

Cockhill defence out and Nathan McConnologue ran through on goal to finish well past Ryan Fitzpatrick to even things. Cockhill almost got back in front shortly before half time. Good work down the left and a cross by Tristan Donaghy nearly found Gary Breslin but the

ball broke 15 yards out to Andy McElhinney who had a great opportunity to score but his shot flew over the bar as the half ended all square. Cockhill started the brighter of the two teams in the second half and were first to create a chance. Cian Downey linked up well on the right with James Barber who hit a fine strike from 20 yards but it was well saved by Tiernan Devine.A similar move by Cockhill this time with roles reversed it was JamesBarber who set up Cian Downey and his effort from outside the box was well saved by Tiernan Devine again. Cockhill continued to press for a second goal and this time Gary Breslin was unluckly not to score when his shot from just inside the box was again well saved by Tiernen Devine in the Rasheney goal. Rasheney grew in to the game as the half went on and pushed men forward. They had a couple shots on goal from Shaun Toland and Alan Doherty but failed to test Ryan Fitzpartrick.

Rasheney almost took the lead with a quick breakaway as Cockhill failed to clear their lines and just as Nathan McConnelogue looked to score Marty Breslin made an excellent recovery tackle to block the effort. As the game looked like ending in a draw, Adam McLaughlin picked the ball up in midfield and after beating one man found himself through on goal but was brought down by the Rasheeny keeper, Tiernan Devine for a penalty. Adam McLaughlin picked himself up to take the spot kick and showed great composure to send Tiernan Devine the wrong way and give Cockhill a two one

lead. Rasheney pushed forward and put Cockhill under some late pressure however, some great defensive tackles from Adam McCarron kept the Rasheney attack at bay as Cockhill held on for another very hard earned win.

Aileach Youths             4

Moville Res                   3

Movilel started the better but the home side broke the deadlock on 15 minutes when Patrick Curran put pressure on keeper Puaric Carey Doherty and the loose ball fell to Stephen Doherty who fired to the roof of the net from thirty five yards. They increased their lead minutes later when Doherty cut in from the left and fired a brilliant right footed effort to the top corner from the edge of the area. The home side were reduced to ten men on the half hour Liam Collins was red carded for dissent. Moville got back into the game on the stroke of half time when the unmarked Graeme Doherty headed past Ryan Fox in the home goal. Aileach regained their two goal lead on 55 minutes when Doherty completed his hat trick when he tapped home after a Paul McGrory header had come back off the bar. Moville pressed hard for a long period but had to wait until the 80th minute when Kyle Harkin ran onto a PJ Barr pass to drill low past Fox and make it three two. They equalised on 88 minutes after a Conor Lafferty through ball saw Graeme Doherty round Fox and slot home. But in injury time Paul McGrory advanced and fed Doherty whose effort was parried by Carey-Doherty and despite the best efforts of a defender the ball went over the line.

Carrowmena FC                    2

Greencastle Res                   4

In the opening minutes Harry McCormick raced onto a long ball over the top but Greencastle keeper Dylan Doherty advanced to smother well. From his clearance Josh Lafferty collected the ball and fired to the top corner past Dean McGeoghaghan in the home goal. Carrowmena hit back and  Gerard Gill headed just wide before Darragh Kelly fired just wide. At the other end David Heuston cut in form the left but fired narrowly wide. Carrowmena then got back on terms  on 40 minutes when Kelly after a fine solo run was upended allowing Oran McDermott to blast home the spot kick. But Greencaslte regained the lead on the stroke of half time when Conor Gillen crossed for the unmarked Tom Heuston to head in off the post. Minutes into the second period the home side equalised again after an inswinging Samuel Bredin corner was powerfully headed home by Raymond Campbell. On 55minutes Lafferty fired a superb free over the wall  and in off the post to put Greencastle three two up.Carrowmena got on top  for a spell then with Bredin, Caolan Mullarkey and Declan McDermot all denied by good saves from Doherty. But on 85 minutes the visitors sealed the tie when the  home defence failed to clear a long ball allowing Daniel Rowan to slot home.