Match Reports 22nd Jan

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  




Carn FC                         1

Buncrana  Hearts         0

In a well contested game Carn had the better of the first half and created a number of half chances.

Ronan Doherty had two free kicks on target well saved by Eoghan O Doherty  who also denied Declan McGonagle who burst into the area but the keeper   got down well. Buncrana came more into the game in the second half restricting Carn to chances from free kicks. Ronan Doherty fired one over the bar while a Michael O Donnell effort was saved. Buncrana’s Declan Fullerton and Stephen McHugh were both denied by good saves by Daniel Houghton. The visitors struck for the winner on 77 minutes after a Ben Bradley effort was well parried by Houghton for Adam Duffy to follow up and slot home. Carn pressed late on and Brandon Browne fired narrowly wide.

Dunree United             3

Aileach FC                    5

Dunree started well and Daniel McLaughlin, Philip McGuinness and Jerry Farrell all missed good chances .In their first attack the visitors Caoimhin McFeely released Dermot Doherty who lobbed Philip Doherty from fifteen yards.  On 21 minutes Aileach made it two when Doherty crossed for Anthony Doherty to sidefoot home at the back post. On the half hour mark Dunree got one back when Kevin McColgan was upended and McGuinness fired low to the right hand corner. In the opening minute of the second half Farrell beat tow men and crossed for McLaughlin to side foot home from twelve yards. Dunree then took the lead after Liam  Baldrick ‘s free found McLaughlin who headed home from twelve yards. But Aileach got back on terms after a corner found the unmarked Gavin Doherty who rose high to head home. McGuinness then had a one on one smothered by John Roulstone. Then on 85 minutes Darren McMoangle beat two men on the left and cut in to curl a superb effort to the top corner. In injury time with Dunree pushing a long ball was mishit by keeper Doherty for Jordan McGeady to slot home.

QPS                      0

Culdaff FC           4

Culdaff’s clinical finishing secured a vital win in Muff against a lacklustre Quigley’s Point Swifts side.

The visitors opened their account on eight minutes. John McFeeley collected the ball on the left from a throw-in before whipping in a first-time cross, and Brendan McLaughlin rose to head the ball beyond Oisin Burke from ten yards into the left corner.

Quigley’s Point fought hard to get back into the game, but chances were few and far between for both sides. Raymond Rogan’s superb twenty-five yard effort was tipped over the bar by Culdaff goalkeeper Darragh McLaughlin. McLaughlin was on hand again on seventeen minutes to push Connor Barron’s near-post shot wide. At the other end, Point goalkeeper Burke had to be alert to deny McLaughlin his second goal after a goalmouth scramble.

The rest of the half was a scrappy affair, with neither side gaining an advantage. Three minutes before half-time however, Culdaff doubled their lead. The away side won a free-kick out on the right flank twenty-five yards from goal, and Brendan McLaughlin stepped up to unleash an unstoppable left-footed drive into the top corner.

On forty-eight minutes, Culdaff killed the game off with their third. Michael Coyle picked up the ball on the left flank and made a good drive into the Quigley’s Point penalty area before hammering the ball home from ten yards.

The Muff side were unable to offer any reply after the third goal, with a lack of quality in the final third and a well-organised Culdaff defence keeping them at bay. The visitors were content to see out the rest of the game, with both Brendan McLaughlin and Eugene McLaughlin having long-range attempt easily saved by Burke.

With nine minutes left, they completed the scoring. Dillon Ruddy collected the ball outside the Point penalty area after Brendan McLaughlin’s cross had been cleared, and the midfielder produced a delightful chip over a helpless Burke to cap a miserable afternoon for the hosts and move Culdaff further towards mid-table.

Greencastle FC            0

Glengad United           1

This was a well contested game at Chapel Lane and one which could prove to be a crucial three points for Glengad in their quest to retain their title. In the opening period it was frantic with play going from end to end with James and Michael Henry both off target while at the other end a Nigel Mc Monagle had an effort just past the post. Greencastle kept possession well and a Jamie McCormick free was headed just wide by Michael Barr. The home side continued to press and Matthew Henry was denied by a last ditch tackle by John G McLaughlin saved the day.  Glengad pressed Greencastle higher in the second half   which led to the game being a bit broken. On 53 minutes a Glengad corner was cleared by Gavin Harkin to Terence Doherty who fired low to the corner from sixteen yards past Stephen Henry. The game continued to be very tight with little in it and the home side tried to push forward in the last twenty minutes but failed to create clear chances.  In the last five minutes Ciaran Moore crossed across the face of goal but there were no takers as Glengad claimed a crucial victory.


Strand Hotel Division One 










Aileach Res                  5

QPS Res                         0

In the opening minutes a Paul McHugh cross found Sean McHugh but his effort was well saved by David Bell low to his right. Bell was in action again on 10 minutes when he made a fantastic save from a Conor Harkin free. Harkin then displayed great foot work but when his effort was well parried by Bell the ball fell to Ruairi Bradley who turned and lobbed the ball into the far corner to break the deadlock. Paul McHugh blasted over when clear before Stephen O Donnell released Harkin and he rounded Bell to leave it two nil at the break for the home side. Aileach got a great start to the second half and increased their lead when a clearance from Bell came off O Donnell and rebounded into the net. Midway through the half Paul McCrudden  played a great pass into the path of Sean McHugh who slid the ball home. They completed the scoring when O Donnell raced past three defenders and slotted low past Bell for a fine individual goal. The point had a late effort saved from Joe Johnstone well saved by David McGeady.

Carrowmena                0

Cockhill Yths                 2​​​​​

The visitors took the lead on 12 minutes when Noel Mclaughlin fed Jack McDaid on the right hand side and his low cross was fired home from eight yards by Tommy Doherty past Derek McGeoghaghan.

Carrowmena replied and on 35 minutes Mark Doherty’s scooped effort landed on top of the net with Declan Caldwell back pedalling.

The second half saw the home side defend deep and absorp Cockhill pressure while frustrating  the visitors. But midway through the half after Jarlith Herrity fed Sean Doherty who slipped the ball into the path of McDaid and although his first effort was parried he followed up to slot home. The home side battled well with Gerard Gill, Andrew McLaughlin and Marty McDermott prominent but they failed to trouble the visitors defence and Cockhill saw the game out to claim the points.

Sea Rovers                    0

Clonmany Res              5

Clonmany  blitzed the home side in a thirty minute spell scoring all five goals and took the lead on 10 minutes when Paul McDermott ran onto a ball over the top and fired past Glen Watson from fifteen yards with the home side appealing for offside. Minutes later a corner fell to Gary Doherty who bundled the ball home from close range. A long ball then released McDermott who controlled well and rounded Watson to make it three nil. The best goal came after a good passage of play on the right ended with Johnny McDaid controlling on his chest and firing to the bottom corner from twenty yards. McDermott then capitalized on a defensive error and fired home from fifteen yards to make it five nil and complete his hat trick with the home side shell shocked. Rovers played much better in the second half with a clearance from Watson releasing Damien Harkin whose header was saved by Liam McGonigle. On 65 minutes Kieran McNicholas cut in from the left and saw his effort crash off the bar. Then William Logan had a free kick tipped onto the bar and over. Clonmany had a late chance but McDermott saw his effort crash off the post.

Rasheney FC                4

Moville Celtic               2

In beautiful conditions Conor Doherty had the first chance for the visitors but his effort from close range was blocked. Moville then took the lead on 10 minutes after Finn McLaughlin crossed from the left for Michael McNaught to slot past Sean Friel at the back post. Minutes later Rasheney’s Damien Friel had a cross shot from the angle of the area well held by Ryan Coyle. On 20 minutes David Mclaughlin burst into the area but was crowded out by the Moville defence. Two minutes later McLaughlin latched onto a John Grant pass to fire low past Coyle from twelve yards to level the game. Rasheney had a good chance on 35 minutes after Friel’s cross found Matthew McLaughlin who in turn fed it to Declan McLaughlin in the clear fourteen yards out but he fired wide. Moville replied with an effort from McNaught saved by Friel who then was alert to save a low effort from PJ Barr. At the other end Christy Ivers fired narrowly wide. Moville regained the lead when McLaughlin laid the ball off for John Gillen to hammer low to the corner from twenty yards. Early in the second half a Michael Toland free for the home side eluded Shane Gordon and Ivers at the back post before David Mclaughlin had an effort blocked on the six yard line. At the other end on 55 minutes Finn McLaughlin drove low and hard but just past the post from the edge of the area. Moville pressed again and when Conor Doherty fed Billy McCann advancing into the area his low shot was well saved by Friel. Rasheney’s John Grant then stumbled over the ball from point blank range after a Declan McLaughlin cross had created the opportunity. The home side equalised on 64 minutes when a David McLaughlin cross shot deflected off a defender and into the net. Moville responded and McNaught ,although forced wide, drove goalwards and Friel made an excellent stop. Rasheney alos had a good chance but Declan Mclaughlin’s effort was deflected behind. Rasheney took the lead on 75 minutes when Toland and McLaughlin combined to find Grant who swept home from six yards.

Minutes later it was four two when Damien Friel drove a penalty awarded for handball low to the keepers right to make it four two.

Moville had a late chance when a Conor Doherty effort was well saved by Friel.

Redcastle United                  1

Illies Celtic                             1

Redcastle had the first opportunity when Kevin Toner crossed for Robert Mc Laughlin but his rising side footed effort cleared the cross bar. Stephen Doherty for the illies then stung Redcastle keeper Mc Coles hands from distance before Redcastle went ahead on 18 minutes when a clever pass by Sean Curran released Brendan Murphy and he chipped Noone from an acute angle. Illies got back on terms just before half time when Dominick Doherty converted from the spot,  after an illies penalty award. Illies keeper Noone denied the home side twice early in the second half,  first saving

Currans low shot and then pushing Murphys effort clear of danger. Illies came more into the game as the half progressed and caused a number of nervous moments for the Redcastle defence, but they failed to create any clear openings.  Redcastle squandered a number of half chances as well as the game ended all square.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two 




Illies Res                       3

Aileach Yths                 1

After an even opening twenty minutes with few chances the home side had the first chance when Adrian Donaghey-Doherty fired over when well placed. Aileach responded and when Shane McMongle broke into the area his effort was well saved by Graham Doherty . Aileach broke the deadlock on 40 minutes when benny Hegarty cheaged down a clearance and it fell to Patrick Curran to slot home. Illies equalised before the break after a Gavin Doherty corner was headed home by Seamus O’Donnell. On 55 minutes Illies took the lead after  a Joe McDaid effort came off the bar and fell to Liam Grant who slotted home from twelve yards.  Aileach had a great chance when McMoangle fed Benny Hegarty but he fired over when well placed. Illies sealed the win on85 minutes after Grant robbed a defender and crossed for Brendan Doherty to finish well to the top corner.

Rasheney  Res              0

Cockhill Res                  1

Cockhill were on top for long periods but the home side had the first chance Nathan McConalogue fed Jack McLaughlin but the advancing Liam Lynch got to the ball first. Minutes later at the other end Ryan Duffy was denied by a last ditch Kevin Noone tackle.Rasheney’s Alan Doherty had a good chance when he sidestepped Lynch but somehow fired wide from fourteen yards. Cockhill broke the deadlock on the half hour after Jude Mullan released Ryan Mallett who fired low past Kieran Friel from fifteen yards. A minute later Rasheney ‘s McConalogue crossed for Sean Toland whose twenty five yards effort was palmed away at full stretch by Lynch. But Cockhill went close after a Martin McDermott free was hooked onto the bar by Gary Breslin from twelve yards. Breslin then had a stubbed effort from close range well saved by Friel. Cockhill dominated the second period and Ryan Duffy had an effort saved by Friel before Gary Breslin headed wide from eight yards. Duffy then twice threatened being denied by a Trevor Doherty tackle before seeing Friel save well.

The final effort went to substitute Kieran McElhinney whose effort from the angle of the area drifted just wide.

Greencastle Res           3

Moville Res                  1

In this local derby played in good conditions both teams started well with Moville’s Norbert  Indyka denied by Puaric Carey Doherty. At the other end Daniel Rowan released Jude Harkin but Ryan Coyle saved well. A great advantage by referee McAree allowed Daniel Murphy to beat two men and see his shot deflected past Coyle for the opening goal. Greencastle got on top and Ronan Doherty fired wide when the goal was gaping after a Benny McDermott square pass. Moville then got back on terms when Nathan Harkin despatched a twenty five yards effort off the post  and Pearse Doherty followed up to score. In the second period Greencastle regained the lead when Murphy crossed for John McDermott to head to the top corner on 62 minutes. Tom Heuston nearly extended the home sides advantage but his effort crashed off the post. Greencastle sealed the points when Puaric Gillen crossed for Kevin Mclaughlin to volley home from six yards. The final action in injury time saw Moville awarded a penalty but their misery was complete when Kyle Harkin blasted over.