Match reports 20th Aug

Inishowen Football League  2017-18

Clubman Shirts League Cup

Dunree United             1

Aileach      FC               8

Aileach proved much too strong for relegated Dunree and opened the scoring on 10 minutes when Anthony Doherty raced onto a ball over the top before cooly placing his shot past Philip Doherty. Midway through the half he repeated the feat this time lifting the ball over Doherty. Minutes before the break Gavin Doherty broke into the area and fired low to the corner. It continued after the interval with Ronan Coyle firing to the top corner before Gavin Doherty burst through the defence to slam the ball home. Dunree got a consolation when  Philip McGuinness beat two men before shooting low past  Peter Devlin.But two late goals from Ronan Coyle (pictured Right) to complete his hat trick and one from Darren McMonagle ended the scoring.

Rasheney FC                0

Cockhill Youths             4

The visitors had the first chance when a Kevin McDaid long range effort was well held by Shaun Friel. At the other end Declan McLaughlin beat his man and crossed for Matthew McLaughlin whose headed landed on the roof of the net. On 20minutes Matthew McLaughlin got on the end of a John Grant shot and deflected it goalwards but Declan Caldwell  saved well. Cockhill responded and Friel tipped a Michael Owen Doherty effort over the bar before Darragh McDermott dragged an effort wide when well placed. McDermott broke the deadlock on 35 minutes after he converted a Keegan Doherty cross from the right from eight yards. Rasheney’s Anthony Doherty then had a shot blocked but Damien Friel’s follow up was straight at Caldwell. Cockhill then went two up before the break when McDermott blasted a penalty down the centre after Doherty had been upended. Rasheney dominated the opening period of the second half with John Grant and Matthew McLaughlin firing just wide before Damaien Friel saw an effort crash off the bar. On 70 minutes Friel hen hooked just wide from ten yards. In their first threat of the second period Cockhill increased their lead when Michael Owen Doherty converted McDermott’s cross to seal the tie. Rasheney responded and substitute Paddy McGilloway had an effort tipped over the bar while Michael Toland was just off target. Cockhill substitute Mike Doherty saw an effort clip the bar while on 88minutes after the home defence failed to clear Daniel Martin Doherty poked the ball home.

  P W D L F A Pts
Aileach FC 1 1 0 0 8 1 3
Cockhill Youths 1 1 0 0 4 0 3
Rasheney FC 1 0 0 1 0 4 0
Dunree United 1 0 0 1 1 8 0



Buncrana Hearts                   0

Glengad United                     2

In the meeting of the top two in the league from last season it was Glengad who emerged on top with a two nil win. They started the better and deservedly took the lead on 5 minutes when hesitant Hearts defending allowed Christopher McLaughlin to fire low past Eoghan O’Doherty. The home side responded  and Gerard Boyle flashed  a header just wide after an excellent Declan Fullerton cross. Fullerton then unleashed a left footed effort flash just wide before on the stroke of half time Kieran McDaid headed across goal but there was no one on hand to convert. Glengad started the second half better and Matthew Byrne had a free saved by O’Doherty before Shane Canning’s twenty five yards effort flew just wide. Buncrana reverted to three at the back and after a mazy McDaid run released James McGonagle  but his effort was cleared off the line. Glengad sealed the points late on  when PJ McDaid capitalised on poor defending to fire low into the bottom corner


Clonmany Shamrocks           3

QPS                                         5

In an explosive opening to the game the shamrocks were two goals ahead by the 5th minute after Andrew Doherty’s header from a corner took a slight deflection on its way past David Bell on 2 minutes. Then a superb crossfield pass from Dessie Doherty found Ferghal Harkin on the left and he fired first time past Bell from the edge of the area. But the point settled and reduced the deficit on 12 minutes after Conor Barrow intercepted a defensive pass and jinked past three defenders before firing low across Paddy Harkin and into the far corner. In similar circumstances on 29 minutes they went close again with Barrow  cutting out a defensive pass and setting up Stephen McKendrie whose twenty five yards effort was saved at full stretch by Harkin. Clonmany increased their lead on 55 minutes when Aaron Harkin’s cross found Jason Devlin on the left and he steered the ball low inside the post. The point reduced the deficit on 70minutes when Barrow broke on the right and fired a superb shot low across Harkin to the far corner. Minutes later after a quick throw the home defence got into a real tangle and the ball was fired home by Shane McCready. A superb comeback was completed when Barrow (pictured on the Right) deftly sidefooted home to complete his hat trick. And he ahd the final say when a thirty yards effort deflected off a defender and flew into the top corner for a superb win for the visitors.


Group    B

QPS 1 1 0 0 5 3 3
Glengad United 1 1 0 0 2 0 3
Buncrana Hearts 1 0 0 1 0 2 0
Clonmany Shamrocks 1 0 0 1 3 5 0


Illies Celtic                    3

Culdaff FC                     3

After an even opening to this game it exploded into life with three goals in four minutes.  Culdaff broke the deadlock when Michael Coyle burst through the middle of the defence to slot low past Johnathan Noone from twelve yards. A minute later Brendan McLaughlin beat the offside trap to race clear  round Noone and slot home. But Illies replied when a Paddy Doherty cross fell to John Campbell and he fired home from the penalty spot. Culdaff regained their lead when Conor Keddy was upended in the area and Dermot Diver fired home. Illies were unlucky on the stroke of half time after Liam Grant beat three defenders and saw his effort crash off the bar. There was a dull opening to the second half and the visitors seemed to switch off totally. Illies sensed they could get something from the game and Kevin McGonagle had an effort well saved by Callum Doherty. Then on 80 minutes Paddy Doherty hooked home a superb effort to the roof of the net from ten yards. The home side continued to press and earned a share of the spoils when an innocuous Martin Coyle shot  squirmed under Doherty in the visitors goal.

Group       C

Culdaff FC 1 0 1 0 3 3 1
Illies Celtic 1 0 1 0 3 3 1
Moville Celtic 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Greencastle FC                      6

Carn FC                                   2

New signing Nigel Mc Monagle made an immediate impact when he interecpeted a back pass in the opening minute and rounded keeper Dylan Doherty to slot home. Minutes later a long clearance by Shaun McKinney released McMonagle again who controlled brilliantly before firing low to the corner. Carn replied and Dion Diver was denied by a superb Michael Barr tackle. Greencastle replied and Matthew Henry had a shot saved before McMonagle (pictured on the right) fired just wide.

Shaun Doherty and Henry then both fired just wide before Carns Dermot Doherty released Shea Doherty but Mark Henry cleared the danger. Greencastle went close again with Gerry Gill firing narrowly over before the same player was denied by  keeper Doherty. The home side made it three nil when McMoangle curled a superb effort into the top corner from just inside the area. Carn rallied and got a goal back when the unmarked Dermot Doherty turned well and lifted the ball over Kyle Dougal. In the opening exchanges of the second half Gill fired wide for the home side while Cade Cooke also went close at the other end. Carn reduced the deficit when Dermot Doherty curled an effort in off the underside of the bar. But within minutes a stunning thirty yards thunderbolt from McMonagle flew into the top corner to make it four two. On 75 minutes superb control saw Matthew Henry control a Shaun Doherty ball over the top round the keeper and from a very tight angle slot the ball home.The home side added a sixth when  Stephen Grant crossed for substitute Joe Doherty to slot home first time.In the final attack of the game Carns Dermot Doherty was denied by Dougal and Cooke headed the rebound over.

Group   D                                             

Greencastle  FC 1 1 0 0 6 2 3
Carn FC 1 0 0 1 2 6 0
Redastle United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0