Match Reports 17th & 19th March

Inishowen Football League 17th March

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   11am

Dunree United             1

Glengad United           4

Dunree’s relegation from the premier division was confirmed after this defeat on St Patricks Day.The visitors broke the deadlock on 5 minutes after a Nigel McMonagle cross deflected off a defender past Philip Doherty in the home goal. Midway through the half they doubled their lead when Matthew Byrne fired a twenty five yards free low to the corner. Dunree battled hard but failed to create clear chances against the meanest defence in the league.Ten minutes after half time McMonagle turned provide when his cross was slotted home by Adam Byrne from close range. The home side rallied and reduced the deficit when Philip McGuinness advanced and unleashed a stunning thirty yards effort to the top corner But Glengad sealed the points late on when Matthew Byrne despatched another sublime free kick from twenty two yards past the wall to the bottom corner.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup     11am

Clonmany Shamrocks           0

Aileach FC                              2

This St.Patricks day fixture was reversed to Aileach and played in very damp conditions. The game started fairly evenly and it was 15 minutes before the first chance of note arrived. The ball broke to Clonmany full back Brendan Doherty at the  edge of the box and his snap shot just went the wrong side of Roulstones right hand post. On the half hour mark Anthony Doherty got clear down the right and pulled the ball back for the inrushing Stephen McKendry whose  first time effort from twelve yards was somehow diverted over the bar by a Clonmany foot with Harkin beaten.Aileach began the second half well and on 50 minutess Jordan McGeedy turned smartly inside the box and his well placed shot from fourteen yards brought a smart save from Harkin low to his right. On the hour a Darren McMonagle free kick deceived everybody and bounced off the top of the bar on its way over. Clonmany had a good spell of posession after this and on 70 minutes Jason Coyle got clear of the Aileach defence but his attempted lob from distance  fell short into Roulstone’s arms. With 10 minutes remaining Aileach grabbed the lead when Dermot Doherty was released in the inside right position and he fired a shot across Harkin and into the bottom right hand corner from ten yards. Clonmany had to commit players forward in search of an equaliser and on the break substitute Stephen Doherty was denied by Harkin but from the resulting corner James Wallace placed a fine shot with the outside of his right foot into the bottom right hand corner to seal the win.

Moville Celtic               4

Redcastle United         0

Moville got off to a dream start on 3 minutes when a Conor Doherty free was headed high past Michael McCole by Norbert Indyka. Redcastle almost equalised when Sean McGuinness parried a James Curran free and with two attackers ready to pounce McGuinness recover to flip the ball clear. Moville then increased their lead before the break after Doherty split the Redcastle defence with a superb pass for Michael McNaught to race clear and slot low under the advancing McCole. Redcastle had the first chance of the second period when Brendan Murphy saw his effort well tipped around the post by  McGuinness. But Moville took over then and Finn McLaughlin rattled the bar from a corner before a long range Jack Keys effort also crashed off the bar. The pressure told on 66minutes when McNaught broke clear on the right and his low cross deflected off a defender to make it three nil. James Gillen then had an effort cleared off the line before the home side completed the scoring on the stroke of full time when McLaughlin rounded McCole and pulled the ball back for Charlie Gill to sweep the ball home.

Inishowen Football League 19th March

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 2 pm

QPS                                0

Glengad United           4

The visitors got a dream start on 3 minutes when Nigel McMonagle advanced on the left and cut in to fire low past Oisin Burke from twelve yards. Minuts later Patrick McDermott crossed for Terence Doherty whose glancing header came off the post. They doubled their lead on 12minutes when McMonagle raced onto a long ball and calmly slotted home. They continued to dominate and on 37 minutes a Matthew Byrne free found Seamus Doherty but he fired across goal and wide.The point first chance came when Chris O Donnell fired over the bar from twenty five yards. But Glengad resumed control when Stephen McLaughlin released Michael Byrne but Burke blocked with his legs. On the stroke of half time McDermott released Terence Doherty who rifled a shot from fifteen yards to the roof of the net.

Minutes after the restart Glengad made it four nil when McMonagle crossed from the left for substitute James McKinney tapped home from close range. On 62minutes in a scramble after a corner Adam Byrne was denied by a point blank save from Oisin Burke.  The point were reduced to ten men then when Denim McLaughlin was involved in an altercation. Glengad had another opportunity when Seamus Doherty cut in from the left but saw his effort crash off the bar. The final chance also fell to the visitors when an Adam Byrne cross found McDermott but Burke blocked on the line and a defender completed the clearance.

Strand Hotel First Division 2pm

Moville Celtic               10

QPS  Res                       0

This was a no contest from the start as Moville completely dominated an under strength point reserves side. They led by seven goals to nil at the break with Declan McGuinness and Charlie Gill getting two each, Conor Doherty, Michael McNaught and Finn McLaughlin all on the mark. The best of the goals in the first half was  after a clearance fell to Gill on the edge of the area and he sidefooted home through a crowd of players. The home side eased off after the break and Gill completed his hat trick with a brilliant “hitch” kick according to reporter Lawrence Harkin. Running forward Gill met a Jack keys cross on the run to volley to the net.An own goal and a Jack Keys strike completed the misery for the visitors.

Cockhill Celtic              3

Rasheney FC                5

In an entertaining game Rasheney had an early chance but Declan Caldwell saved well to deny David McLaughlin. At the other end Michael Owen Doherty blazed over from six yards when he looked certain to score. Rasheney broke the deadlock on 25 minutes when Charlie Doherty fired a twenty yards effort low to the bottom corner. Minutes later a good cross from Mclaughlin finds Matthew McLaughlin and he converts at the back post . Before the break the home side got back into the game when Darragh McDermott converted a penalty . But on the hour mark Damien Friel made it three one converting after Caldwell had parried McLaughlin’s effort. Michael Noone then headed a Christy Duffy corner just over for the youths before  McLaughlin converted his second of the game to put Rasheney four one up. When McDermott was upended in the area he converted his second spot kick of the game. McDermott then completed his htat trick to make it four three when he controlled a high ball and superbly placed the ball into the corner from twelve yards. But Rasheney sealed victory and put an end to the home side’s title hopes when his initial effort was parried by Caldwell but he followed up to slot home.

Illies Celtic           5

Sea Rovers                   1

Illies kept their title challenge well on track with this win and took the lead on 5 minutes after Paddy Doherty released Michael Coyle to fire high past Glen Watson from the edge of the area. They soon made it two nil when Doherty intercepted in midfield and advanced into the area  to shoot low to the net from twelve yards. Liam Doherty then beat two men on the right and crossed for Coyle to slot home his second of the game from close range. Rovers then got a goal back before the break when Graham Morgan headed a Damien ward corner past Johnathan Noone at the near post. Illies started the second half well with Liam Grant and Coyle both denied by brilliant saves from Watson. Illies then added a fourth on 73 minutes when Liam Doherty’s free was parried by Watson and Coyle pounced for his hat trick. They completed the scoring when Coyle controlled a through ball from Paddy Doherty and fired high past Watson.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A    11am  

Glengad Res                 0

Moville Res                  4

The home side had an early chance when PJ McDaid was clear but his effort crashed off the post and he fired the rebound wide. On 21minutes Moville broke the deadlock when Kyle Harkin split the home defence for Norbert Indyka who slipped the ball low past the advancing Seamus Houghton. Minutes later Ryan McColgan advanced on the right and cut in to square for Indyka to slot home his second of the game. Glengad again had the first chance of the second period when McDaid raced clear but under pressure he blazed over. Midway through the half Indyka pulled the ball back from the byeline for Kevin McDermott to slot low to the corner. Then on 81 minutes a Harkin wind assisted  corner sailed all the way to the net  to complete the scoring.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  B     

Culdaff Res                   1

Rasheney  Res             0

After all the rain this game was played in bright windy sunshine on Sunday morning and the home side had to wait until the 87th minute to snatch a winner. Rasheney started with the wind  but the home side had the first chance  after Bryan McCandless crossed for Thomas O’ Brien whose first time effort was well saved by Kieran O’Neill. Rasheney replied with Johnathan Toland seeing a header skim the bar. At the other end a Jack Mclaughlin volley from twenty five yars was tipped over by O’Neill. The home side then wree awarded a penalty which Aiden Cunningham converted but to everyone ‘s amazement the referee disallowed the goal for encroachment and awarded a free out. Culdaff dominated the second half with a Dermot Diver effort taking a deflection and coming off the bar while substitute Dillon Ruddy had an effort saved by O’Neill. With time running out they forced a succession of corners with a Jack McLaughlin inswinging corner going all the way to the net to keep their title hopes alive.