Match Reports 12th March

Inishowen Football League 12th March

Wednesday 8th March

Charlie O Donnell Cup Quarter Finals

Culdaff FC                     3

Clonmany Shamrocks 2

Culdaff s recent good form continued when they came from two goals down to defeat Clonmany three two and advance to the semi finals.

This was a keenly fought cup tie played in ideal conditions under the lights at Caratra Park. Culdaff were first to threaten and on 3 minutes when a ball over the top from Micheal Coyle found Benny Mc Laughlin whose well struck shot was saved by the legs of keeper Paddy Harkin. However it was Clonmany who took the lead on 11 minutes. A corner from the right wasn’t cleared by the Culdaff defence and Jamie Coyle slotted home from six yards.Clonmany nearly increased their lead on 19 minutes who a volley from Steve

Harkin clipped the top of the crossbar. Culdaff were next to threaten and a cross from the left by Eugene Mc Laughlin was headed over the bar by Brian Mc Candless before a free from Benny Mc Laughlin  was just off target. Culdaff were having the majority of the possession at this stage but it was Clonmany who increased their lead on 27 minutes. A shot from twenty yards by Mark Mc Laughlin decieved keeper Calum Doherty and ended up in the back of the net. On 37 minutes Martin Keddy headed over the bar following a

cross from Benny Mc Laughlin before after the break a free kick from Benny Mc Laughlin was tipped round the post by Clonmany keeper Harkin. From the resultant corner Eugene Mc Laughlin reacted quickest to knock the ball home from close range .In the 58th minute Clonmanys Jamie Coyle headed over the bar from a cross from the right by Brendan Doherty. Culdaff were pushing for the equaliser and on 68 minutes a low cross from the left by Benny Mc Laughlin

went across the Clonmany goalmouth without any Culdaff player getting a touch. On 83 minutes Micheal Coyle volleyed over the bar when well placed before Culdaff got a deserved equaliser on 87 minutes when a high ball forward from Darren Mullarkey was headed over his own keeper by Gary Doherty. Culdaff pushed forward for the winner and forced a number of corners. They

got the winner they deserved in the 90th minute when Micheal Coyle headed home following a corner from the left from Benny Mc Laughlin.

Greencastle FC            2

Moville Celtic               3

Moville caused a cup upset in Gleneely on Wednesday night when they defeated premier division neighbours Greencastle. They broke the deadlock on 16 minutes when James Gillen split the Greencastle defence for Conor Doherty to fire low past Pauric Carey Doherty from the edge of the area. Midway through the half Michael McNaught broke on the right and crossed for Doherty to slot home his second. Greencastle had a good spell then with Ronan Doherty cutting in from the right but denied by the legs of Ryan Coyle before Matthew Henry fired over from distance. Then James Downey advanced and his low cross just eluded the inrushing Doherty. But before the break Moville hit a third goal when McNaught beat two defenders and squared for Doherty to complete his hat trick. Moville began the second period well and after Finn McLaughlin was upended in the area Conor Doherty’s spot kick was brilliantly saved low to his right by Carey-Doherty. Greencastle reduced the deficit on 68 minutes when Michael Barr poked home after a corner before ten minutes later a quick Christy Hegarty free released Barr to fire low under Coyle. Ronan Doherty then broke clear but was denied by the legs of Coyle before at the other end Mclaughlin fired into the side netting when well placed. Greencastle pressed hard in the closing stages but failed to create a clear chance to enable them to force extra time.

Inishowen Football League 12th March

Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup  ¼ finals

Clonmany Shamrocks           0

Glengad United                     2

Glengad started this match well on top  with Terence Doherty firing wide and Seamus Doherty seeing a free kick well saved by Patrick Harkin. They took the lead on 11minutes after Shane Caning found Nigel McMonagle who beat a defender and from a tight angle fired low past Harkin. Midway through the half Canning fired wide from twenty five yards. Clonmany came into the game then and Steve Harkin twice fired wide before Harkin , Paul McDermott and Mikey Friel combined only to be denied by Matthew Byrne. Glengad then struck for a second goal before the break when  McMonagle collected a loose ball and fed Terence Doherty to fire home from twelve yards. Clonmany started the second half well and an Aiden Friel free kick was cleared away by Seamus Doherty.Glengad responded and Nigel McMonagle somehow missed the target from six yards  before Patrick McDermott had an effort tipped over by Harkin. Clonmany created a great chance to get back into the game when substitute Mark McLaughlin crossed for Coyle but he fired wide from six yards. At the other end McMonagle had an effort saved by Harkin while Clonmany had the final chance after an Aiden Friel corner broke to Paul McLaughlin but his effort was blocked and cleared.

Derry City Res    3

Greencastle FC   3   (win 4.2 on penos )

Greencastle keeper Stephen Henry was the toast of Chapel Lane on Saturday afternoon, saving two penalties and scoring one he helped Greencastle through to the semi finals of the Knockalla Cup in what was a fantastic game of football. Greencastle eventually won 4-2 on penalties after the game finished 3-3. Greencastle could have been forgiven for thinking that today was not to be their day having led three times only to be pegged back by a young Derry City Reserve team.Greencastle took the lead when Christy Hegarty latched onto a long ball out of defence and cooly lobbed the advancing keeper.   Derry City equalised after a period of sustained pressure resulted in their centre forward firing home from the age of the area.Both teams continued to play football in the second half with Greencastle again taking the lead when the Derry Keeper dropped a looping cross onto the head of James Henry who scored with ease. To their credit Derry did not give up and scrambled an equaliser in injury time when after a goal mouth scramble the ball deflected off a Greencastle defender and into the net.Extra time was end to end with Greencastle going three two  up when Matthew Henry fired  across the box for Barr to hit an unstoppable shot passed the Derry keeper from twelve yards. Derry kept plugging away and equalised for a third time in the 118th minute when their centre half pushed forward from the back and scored a bullet header from 16 yards to the top corner giving Henry no chance.Unfortunately their had to be a loser with Greencastle progressing to the semi finals thanks to Henry’s heroics.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 2pm





Culdaff FC           1

Aileach FC           0

This was an evenly contested game played under the lights at Caratra Park on Saturday night. Aileach had the first chance of the game on 14 minutes when Dermot Doherty headed over the bar following a cross from the left. Culdaff replied on 18 minutes when a shot from distance from Darren Mullarkey went narrowly wide before a Brian Mc Candless snap shot was saved by Aileach keeper John Roulston. On 33 minutes Brendan Mc Laughlin had a shot from 20 yards that was just wide of the post. Culdaff took the lead a minute later when following good work in midfield by Brian Mc Candless, his through ball found Martin Keddy and he slotted home from twelve yards. Culdaff should have doubled their lead on 39 minutes following a low cross from the right by Mc Candless but  Brendan Mc Laughlin blazed over the bar from two yards with the goal at his mercy. Aileach had more of the possession in the second half without creating many goal scoring chances. However it was Culdaff who nearly doubled their advantage on 47 minutes when a volley from thirty yards from Paul Mc Laughlin rebounded off the crossbar and Micheal Coyle volleyed over from close range. The home side went close again through John G Mc Dermott but his effort was well held by keeper Roulston.Aileach were coming more into the game and on 52 minutes a free kick from the right was headed over the bar by Gavin Doherty. Culdaff replied and following a through ball from midfield Brian Mc Candless shot wide from twelve yards. Aileach had a chance to equalise on 58 minutes when following a free kick Anthony Doherty headed over the bar from close range before another free kick from the right by Dermot Doherty was headed wide by Anthony Doherty when well placed. On 76 minutes a low cross from the left by John G Mc Dermott went across the goalmouth without a Culdaff player getting a touch on the ball. Aileach had  Culdaff under pressure at the stage and on 82 minutes a free kick from Gavin Doherty was headed over the bar by Adam Barr before from a similiar free kick Anthony Doherty headed over from close range. Aileach had the final chance on 89 minutes when a shot from twenty yards from Darren Mc Monagle was well held by Culdaff keeper Darragh Mc Laughlin.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup     2pm








Dunree United             1

Buncrana Hearts          1     ( won 3.0  on penos )

The first half was a very tight affair with defences on top with the best chance of the half falling to the home side when Philip McGuinness looked destined to score but was denied by a superb Gary Duffy saving tackle in the 33rd minute. Buncrana s best chance fell to Liam McCarron on 41 minutes when he raced onto a ball over the top but he fired straight at Philip Doherty. Buncrana upped the tempo on the restart with Ryan Curran releasing Ryan Doherty and when his cross found Adam Duffy he placed his effort wide from close range. On the hour Dunree’s Jerry Farrell had an effort tipped over by Corey Wilson.The game sprung to life in the closing minutes when Buncrana were awarded a penalty for handball which Stephen McHugh despatched low to Doherty’s right. Dunree replied in the final minute after a Conor Doherty free was headed home by Stephen McLaughlin. There were no clear chances in extra time but Buncrana scored their  three out of four and Dunree missed all three it was Buncrana who advance to the semi finals.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup  ¼ finals



Aileach Res                  2 (Aileach win 3.1  on penos)

Rasheney FC                2

In good conditions at Lakeside this was an evenly fought game which needed extra time and then penalties to separate with David McGeady in the home goal inspired. Aileach took the lead on 13minutes after a Ryan McDaid free into the area was headed across by Davy Ryan for Stephen Doherty to slot home at the back post. The remainder of the half was a close hard fought affair with defences on top. Rasheney started the second period well and got back on terms on 57 minutes when Corey McBride was upended in the area. Declan McLaughlin’s spot kick was brilliantly saved by McGeady but McBride’s follow up effort found Mclaughlin to drill home from close range. A superb run and cross by McBride found Charlie Doherty to side foot home on 74 minutes and give Rasheney the lead. But shortly after the home side levelled when Gregory Doherty converted a spot kick awarded after Conor Harkin was upended.

McGeady then came into his own making two stunning saves to deny McLaughlin on each occasion. In extra time McGeady again saved to deny McLaughlin while Gregory Doherty fired wide for the home side . The dreaded shootout ensued and McGeady proved the hero as he saved twice as well as scoring one to send the home side into the semi finals.

Moville Celtic               2

Gleneely Colts              1

In the opening minute Michael McNaught ran onto a Finn McLaughlin  pass and mishit his shot when well placed. Gleneely  replied and Barry Diver had a snapshot held by Ryan Killen. Moville then took the lead on 12 minutes when a Finn Mclaughlin corner was flicked on by McNaught  and parried by Adrian Duffy but Eamon Reddin was on hand to fire home. Moville continued to press with James Gillen then releasing Jack Keys whose attempted lob was well saved by Duffy before minutes later Keys breaks clear but shoots across goal and wide. Moville went close again when Conor Doherty released McNaught but Duffy made a fine save with a strong left hand. Gleneely responded and  went close when Cory O’ Brien unleashed an effort which Killen blocked well. Moville broke from this with McNaught  breaking clear and he curled a superb effort from the edge of the area past Duffy to make it two nil.  But Gleneely reduced the deficit minutes later after a mazy run from O Brien ended with his effort touched home by Diver at the back post. Gleneely had the first chance of the second half after a Christy Smith cross just eluded Nathan McLaughlin . On 52 minutes Gillen for the home side saw his header come off the bar to PJ Barr whose effort is blocked by a defender. Play swung to the other end where Killen advanced well to block O’Brien’s effort. On the hour mark Conor Doherty fed Barr but Duffy blocked well. Doherty then beat two defenders and fired a low effort goalwards but Duffy was equal to it. In the final minute the Colts Nathan Mclaughlin saw his lob clear the keeper but land on the roof of the net.

Illies  Celtic                   3

Buncrana Res     0

With the benefit of the wind Buncrana started this game on top and Christy McKinley fired over the bar from ten yards before Michael Doherty fired into the side netting in what were two good chances for the visitors. On 22 minutes Illies replied and Michael Coyle had an effort well saved by Cathal McNutt. The home side did take the lead on 27 minutes after Adam Callaghan charged down an attempted clearance and the ball fell to John Pio Donaghey who fired low past McNutt from twelve yards.  Illies had another good chance before the break when Kevin McGonigle cut in from the right but fired over.

Illies dominated the second half with Paddy Doherty and Michael Coyle both firing over in the opening fifteen minutes . On 74minutes  Dominick Doherty  fired a thirty yards free to the roof of the net to make it two nil. They added a third then when Callaghan fed Liam Grant who sidestepped a defender and slotted home to make it three nil.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A    




Glengad United           6

Illies Res                        3

In good conditions the home side had the advantage of the wind and broke the deadlock on 7 minutes when PJ McDaid turned a defender and fired low past Graham Doherty from ten yards. But Illies equalised when Joe McDaid released Gavin Doherty on the left to outpace a defender and shoot low past Ronan Lafferty. The home side upped the tempo and when a Joe Doherty corner deflected off a defender and into the net on 21 minutes. Glengad increased the lead when Paul McGonigle fired low past Doherty from the edge of the area after the Illies defence failed to clear. Another Joe Doherty corner was flicked on by Mark Smith and deflected off a defender for a second own goal and a four one interval lead for the home side. Illies reduced the deficit on 48 minutes when the home defence failed to clear and Dominic Doherty fired low past Lafferty. Glengad responded within minutes when McGonigle split the defence for Mcdaid to run onto and fire high past Doherty  to make it five two. Illies kept pressing and midway through the half Adrian Donagehy Doherty broke clear and lobbed Lafferty. But Glengad sealed the tie when Gary Kelly broke and crossed for McGonigle to control and fire high to the net.

Greencastle Res          1

Redcastle Res              1

The first chance of the game fell to Greencastle with Pauric Gillen rattling the crossbar when well placed before Darren Harkins attempted lob just drops wide.A great individual run by Kevin McLaughlin for Greencastle who went  past two defenders and forces Mark Doherty into a great save.From the resulting corner which fell to the edge of the box and a good cross left John McDermott to fire wide from a yard out when it looked easier to score. The visitors took the lead just before the break when Brendan Murphy collects the ball forty yards out and scores with an audacious lob over Carey- Doherty for a stunning goal. On the hour mark

Greencastle level after great football down the right with Kevin McLaughlin who crosses to the edge of the box and Tom Huston finishes well to the corner. The visitors replied and after good link up  Brendan Murphy is through on goal and forces Pauric Carey Doherty to make a fine save. Redcastle spurned a gilt edged late chance when they were awarded a penalty for handball but Murphy’s spot kick is superbly saved by Carey Doherty to earn the home side a point.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two  B     

Carn Res                       2

Cockhill Res                  4

Cockhill made a great start when Keegan Hegarty pulled the ball back for Ryan Mallett to fire to the top corner past Dean Mason in the second minute. Carn replied and Dayton Cooke  saw his lob came off the post and wide. The visitors then made it two on 22 minutes when Hegarty released Gary Breslin and he slid the ball low under Mason. Carn reduced the deficit on 25 minutes after a quick Niall McGuinness free sent Dion Diver away on the right and his cross was powerfully headed high past Taylor. The home side then got back on terms on 33 minutes when Cooke advanced and unleashed an effort which squirmed past Taylor.  Cockhill started the second half the better with Mason turning Breslin’s effort around the post . Cockhill then regained the lead on 85minutes when Eddie Cuffe released Jude Mullan to fire high past Mason from twelve yards. They completed the scoring when Cuffe beat three defenders and fired high past Mason to seal the points.

Dunree Res                  3

Rasheney Res              0

Dunree took the lead in this clash on 15 minutes when Eamon Fullerton played a great ball into the path of David Doherty to slot high past Kieran O Neill from six yards. They doubled their lead after O’Neill parried a Neil Moran free kick and James Doherty followed up to fire high to the net. On the stroke of half time John Doherty fired a thirty yards effort to the top corner. Rasheney came more into the game after the break and Jack Mclaughlin had an effort saved by Roger McGilloway. But on the hour Fullerton for the home side fired wide when  well placed. Rasheney’s Mclaughlin then saw a fifteen yards effort superbly tipped round the post by McGilloway. On 85 minutes Moran fed Fullerton who squared for TJ McKinley but he fired over from ten yards.