Mach Reports Sunday 15th January

Sunday 15th January   

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Illies Celtic 1

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Clonmnay had an early chance after Pearse McCarron burst through the home defence but blazed over the bar when very well placed.

In a similar opening at the other end Liam Grant  also failed to direct an effort on target when in space inside the area. Illies went close again after a Liam Doherty cross found Brendan Doherty at the back post but he fired straight at Kevin Mclaughlin. Clonmany then broke the deadlock in the 40th minute after McCarron fed Brendan Doherty on the right and his deep cross was headed home by Matthew Brennan. But on the stroke of half time Illies equalised when good work by Liam Doherty on the right saw his pinpoint cross slotted home by Illies Brendan Doherty.  Illies had the better of the second period with Liam Doherty firing at McLaughlin before  Grant shot over the bar. Clonmany responded and had a clear chance when McCarron sent Jake Harkin away on the left hand side but he fired across goal and wide. In the closing stages Grant had a goalbound effort cleared off the line by Clonmanys Conor Bradley . In the final action of the game Grant controlld well and laid the ball off to Brendan Doherty but he fired over when well placed.

Moville Celtic 2

Glengad United 2

Moville started this game well and were out of luck twice in the opening quarter when efforts from Shane Deery and Michael McNaught boht crashed off the bar.  Midway through the half the visitors stunned the home side after John G McLaughlin headed back across goal for Terence Doherty to fire home from close range. Moville upped the tempo and again the crossbar came to Glengads rescue when firstly Jake Morrow s free kick from wide on the right glanced off the woodwork before Morrow then unleashed a twenty five yards effort  which again rebounded to safety.  On the stroke of half time a defensive error in the home defence allowed Terence Doherty in but his goalbound effort was deflected over the bar. Moville started the second half on the front foot with McNaught firing over before a Ben Holly header was superbly saved by Seamus Doherty. But from the corner the home side got back on terms when McNaughts header from the corner back across goals was adjudged to have crossed the line. Moville were well on top at this stage and were unlucky again after a Dan Doran header came back off the post. Against the run of play  Glengad regained the lead with Doherty pouncing on a defensive error and his cross was well finished to the net by Stephen McLaughlin. But within minutes the home side levelled again after good work from Aaron McGurk ended when his  cross was slotted home by McNaught.  Moville had a late chance to claim all thee point but Bradley Callaghans effort clipped the outside of the post.

Aileach FC 1

Buncrana Hearts 2

This was a crucial result for the visitors as they closed the gap on leaders Moville at Lakeside. Aileach were first to threaten on 8 minutes when Gareth McGlynn got to the bye line but his driven cross had too much on it for the onrushing forwards to get a connection. With their next attack Buncrana took the lead after an Adam Curran cross was punched clear by Matthew Gallagher in the home goal but it fell kindly for Eoin Murphy who hit a fine half volley from the edge of the box through a crowd of players to the net. Within  minutes the home side were level when Darren McMonagle turned his marker and pulled the ball back for Gareth McGlynn to beat Rory Kelly via a deflection off a defender from 12 yards. The away side grabbed the lead again  just before the interval when an attempted clearance broke to Ciaran McDaid who made no mistake from 10 yards firing high past Gallagher.The second half opened with Aileach on the front foot and Aaron Nash crossed from the left for Darren McMonagle but the centre forward was unlucky to see his side foot volley just clear Kelly’s crossbar. The home side were on top now and forced Buncrana to defend for long periods. Midway through the half an Ethan Canning cross was headed just over by Shane McMonagle. On the hour Jack Doherty crossed for Aaron Nash whose goal bound header was somehow cleared off the line by the retreating Paul McDermott. Aileach continued to press and in the 75th minute  Shane McMonagle got space on the left side of the box and hit a fierce drive which beat Kelly but came off the inside of the post and back to the keeper’s arms. With time almost up, a Buncrana break resulted in a penalty award which Sean Mullan fired over the bar. Buncrana managed to hold out for a valuable three points but Aileach will wonder how they failed to get something from the game.

Greencastle FC 4

Cockhill Youths 2

The home side started on the front foot with Nigel McMonagle  firing over from twenty yards. Cockhill replied and after good build up play Odhran OBrien- Daly  released Darragh McDermott but he was denied by a Brendan McClenaghan tackle. The visitors then took the lead on 12 minutes after superb work on the left saw Paul Duffy evade two tackles and drive a low ball across for McDermott to bundle home.Greencastle upped the tempo and Seamy McLaughlin drove into the side netting before James Henry headed a corner wide.When McMonagle then released Odhran  Kennedy he fired over from twenty five yards.  Cockhill almost doubled their lead when McDermott saw a close rage effort brilliantly tipped over by Conor Browne. Greencastle had the final chance when McMonagle outoaced the visitors defence and squared for Mclaughlin whose first time effort was blocked.Greencastle got back on terms just two minutes into the second half when Brenan Moore reacted first to a loose ball inside the area to fire past Eoin Colhoun from eight yards. Cockhill replied with a Conor Allen effort from distance which shaved the post while at the other end Moore had a header saved by Colhoun. Greencastle then took the lead after Colhoun parried Nigel McMonagles cross but Moore again pounced to drill home. But the visitors refused to buckle and equalised when Duffy broke on the left and his driven cross took a wicked deflection off a defender past Browne. Greencastle upped the tempo then with Kennedy firing wide from fifteen yards before substitute Ronan Doherty saw an effort saved by Colhoun. The home side took the lead again on 77minutes when  Michael Barr found James henry who in turn released McMonagle on the left and he cut inside the area to drill low to the corner from eight yards. The game was still in the balance until the 87th minute when Henrys ball over the top found McMonagle who drilled a superb shot to the bottom corner from the edge of the area to seal the points.

Strand Hotel  Division One   

Buncrana Res 1

Dunree United 1

Dunree started well with Mark Moran seeing an early effort well parried by Oran McBride but the rebound fell to Thomas Mulhern who failed to hit the target. Buncrana responded and a superb Michael Doherty cross was tucked away at the back post by Jack Soal to put them ahead.Dunree upped the tempo but efforts  from Moran and Mulhern failed to trouble McBride. Buncrana then had a great opportunity to add to their lead but Hugh Aaron McGonagle s spot kick was superbly  saved by Adam Harrigan.Dunree came out strongly after the break and equalised within minutes when the Hearts defence failed to clear and Moran was on hand to slot home from close range. Buncrana had a god spell then with Eoin McNamee denied by Harrigan and a Kevin O Loughlin free kick crashing off the post. Dunree finished the game stringly and Liam Baldrick had an effort deflected just wide before Bernie Doherty  also failed to hit the target when well placed.

Carn FC 3

Clonmany Res 1

Carn kept their unbeaten league run going with a hard fought victory over Clonmany Res at St Patricks Park. Clonmany dropped deep and defended their area well making it  difficult for the home side. But the visitors were caught on the break midway through the half and after a swift counter attack Kyran Cantwell fired the home side ahead with a superb finish from the edge of the area past Dylan McEleney. But Clonmany levelled on 38 minutes when a free kick broke off the wall to Mark Mclaughlin whose deep cross found Steve Harkin to head past Ben Miller. The pattern of the game remained the same after the break but the home side regained the lead on the our mark  after a Cian Doherty cross was not cleared and fell for Cantwell to slot home from close range.  Carn then sealed the points in injury time after Cade Cooke  broke through the visitors defence, drew the keeper and squared for Cian Burke to slot home.



Redcastle United 1

The visiotrs had the first attacking threat in this local derby when Eoin Mclaughlin fired narrowly over the bar from twenty five yards. But the home side responded well and David Healy advancing from midfield before unleashing an effort which was turned around the post by Michael McCole at full stretch. Healy then was unlucky to see a strike from the edge of the area rebound off the inside of the post to safety. On the half hour they went close again with Stephen Harley breaking on the right and his cross just eluded  the inrushing Mark Murray. Somewhat against the run of play the visitors opened the scoring in the 34th minute after the home defence only partially cleared and Alan Calrke drove hard and low past Conor O Neill from sixteen yards. The Point then had the final chance after Barrow controlled a long clearance from O Neill on the left hand side but his effort drew another excellent save from McCole. The home side started the second half well and in the opening minute Ross Nicholas advanced on the left hand side and unleashed an effort which McCole saved superbly again at full stretch. They got back on terms in the 51st minute after  Barrow laid the ball off to John McCluskey at the edge of the area and he curled a superb effort low into the bottom right hand corner. McCluskey then   was unlucky when a diving header from a Healy cross crashed back off the post. Redcastle  finished the game strongly with Darragh McConay seeing a hooked effort saved by Conor O Neill before heading a Shaun Curran free over the bar. In the closing minutes Curran fired a free kick from wide on the right just over the bar as honours ended even.

Inishowen  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Rashenny FC 1

Illies Res 1

The home side had the first sight of goal on 8 minutes after a Cormac Dillon cross found Tommy Doherty who blazed  over when well placed. Illies responded and spurned a gilt edged chance when the unmarked Paddy Doherty headed over  from a Dominic Doherty free kick. Midway through the half a sloppy back pass in the home defence was seized on by Shane Devlin but Damien Friel advanced smartly to smother at his feet. Rashenny responded on the half hour mark with a Damien Friel free kick well saved by his opposite number Graham Doherty. Illies had the final chance of the half from another Dominic Doherty free Devlin headed over as the half ended scoreless. The home side got a great start to the second half when they broke the deadlock on 51 minutes when Conor McDaid capitalised on a defensive error and drilled low past Doherty from twelve yards. Defences were then on top for a large part of the second period but Illies equalised in the 85th minute after a Marty Coyle free was headed down on the edge of the area to William McLaughlin who hammered to the roof of the net giving Friel no chance. Rashenny suffered another  blow then when Dillon was red carded for dissent and it was Illies who really should have snatched all three points but Ronan Hegartys effort was cleared off the line by Shane Skelly to leave honours even.

Sea Rovers 2

Carn Res 2

A good fast flowing game but it took until the 20th minute before the first real goal scoring chance came  when Carn got a free kick outside the box.A  long ball kicked in saw Connor Mc Laughlin rise well to only see his header come of the post. A quick break by Rovers saw Andrew Gallagher break down the left and his superb  cross  was narrowly missed by Declan Mc Gonagle. After a Rovers corner Carn broke quickly and a cross in from the left by Dermot Doherty  was tapped in by Connor Mc Laughlin to give the visitors the lead. Only minutes later Carn were awarded a free kick outside the box and a high ball in by Ciaran o Kane was headed  home by the unmarked Mark Scott . But  Rovesr pressed hard for a goal and were rewarded when Andrew Gallagher closed down the Carn keeper and tapped in from close range . Rovers came right back in it when Daniel Gallaghers close range effort deflected of a Carn player and went in  to leave the half time score two apiece. The second half for the best part was fairly  quiet with little chances coming from either  side. Rovers  had the clearest chances  firstly when a  Damien Ward  cross  found Andrew Gallagher whose  shot was saved by Carns Kyle Harkin. Late on then Rovers broke with Ciaran Doherty  finding Declan Mc Gonagle whose  cross in was hit by Daniel Gallagher but the Carns keeper pulled of a fine save. Both teams shared the points in what was an even result. 

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B      

Glengad Res 2

Aileach Youths 3

The first half was a tame affair with a lot of the play in the midfield area and defences well on top.  Stephen Doherty for the visitors was off target with a long range effort while for the home side two Conor McGonagle attempts failed to trouble Dylan Clarke in the Aileach goal as the half ended scoreless. The second half was the opposite and Aileach took the lead on 47 minutes after Ciaran Bradey dispossessed a home defender on the edge of the area before slotting low past the stranded Danny McGonagle.  But Glengad equalised within minutes after a crossfield Niall McColgan pass found PJ McDaid who turned a defender and slotted low past Clarke. The home side then took the lead on the hour mark when a Paul McGonagle corner crept in at the near post. But the visitors rallied and got back on terms in the 68th minute when Doherty advanced on the left and when his cross was partially cleared Benny Hegarty fired to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. With time running out and a share of the spoils looking inevitable the visitors snatched all three points after  Bradley intercepted a defensive clearance and fired past the stranded McGonagle.