Reports Sunday 21st April

Inishowen Football League Reports  

Sunday 14th  April   

Jackie Crossan Premier Division Promotion /Relegation Play Off   

Glengad United 0

Culdaff FC 0     

AET   Culdaff win 5-4 in sudden death penalty shootout

Glengad Unites fifteen year stay in the premier division was ended on Saturday evening in Maginn Park when they fell to a penalty shootout defeat to neighbours Culdaff who are now promoted.

As expected in a local derby the first half was a very tight affair with few chances and the game dominated by both defences. Culdaff had the first sight of goal on 8 minutes after a short corner played to  Aiden Cunningham saw his cross headed back by Ryan Greene for Michael Coyle but under pressure his header was claimed by Michael McLaughlin. The only other threat came at the other end in the 27th minute when Terence Doherty collected a throw in on the right inside the area and hooked the ball over his head which Patrick McLaughlin punched clear under pressure.Culdaff started the second half well and Euan McFeely had an effort from the right hand side of the area off target.On 55 minutes Keith Norris won a race for possession on the left and his driven cross found McFeely whose effort was blocked before Glengad scrambled the ball away. Glengad responded with Matthew Mooneys corner flashing across goal to Seamus Doherty whose first time effort was blocked by a defender. Substitute Stephen Doherty then found space to unleash a thirty yards effort which flashed over the bar . On 76 minutes Glengad had the best opportunity of the game after Terence Doherty broke past the last defender and advanced towards the area but his effort was superbly saved by McLaughlin. Culdaff replied and substitute Brendan Mclaughlin’s cross cum shot glanced off the face of the bar before the same player spurned a gilt edged opportunity from point blank range. After good interplay the ball was fed to another substitute Noel McLaughlin on the right and his low cross fell to brother Brendan who inexplicably fired wide from four yards. Glengad dominated the first period of extra time with Terence Doherty seeing a shot from the edge of the area saved before having another effort flash just wide. Substitute Oran Doherty then had an effort gathered at the second attempt before Stephen Doherty raced through the middle but McLaughlin advanced to smother at the edge of the area. Culdaff started the second period well with a Brendan Mclaughlin free and a snapshot from Coyle parried away on both occasions  by McLaughlin. Glengad spurned the final chance and another good one after a superb reverse pass from Stephen Doherty sent Terence Doherty clear but Mclaughlin blocked with his legs. The final few minutes were interrupted by the sprinkler system but the match ended and the shootout ensued. It was three each after the reglation five and then both sides missed. Both then scored before Mclaughlin saved and substitute Matthew McGoldrick fired home to send Culdaff back to the premier division and consign Glengad to the first division.


Ulster Junior Shield  Final 

Cockhill clinch Shield title in Ballyare.

Cockhill Youths 2

Keadue Rovers Res 0

Cockhill Celtic Youth claimed the Ulster Junior Shield earlier this evening after a two nil victory over Keadue Rovers Reserves (Donegal League) at Diamond Park, Ballyare. The Inishowen side settled the better in the opening exchanges and Cockhill’s Captain Ryan Downey had a header just over the bar on six minutes from a Mason McDaid delivery. Keadue grew more into the match as the first half progressed and bossed the majority of the possession but had little or no reward only a few long range efforts from Daire Gallagher and Aiden McHugh. Keadue had their first real effort of note on 28 minutes when they were  awarded  a free twenty five yards from goal but Cockhills keeper Darragh O’Donnell saved the effort from Daire Gallagher. Cockhills Darragh McDermott then missed a great opportunity to put the Inishowen side ahead but somehow he managed to put the ball over the bar from close range after a great delivery into the box from Liam Bradley as the sides went in scoreless at the break.  The second period started with Keadue in control and things got better for the Donegal League side when Cockhill were reduced to ten men on 50 minutes after Liam Bradley got a second yellow for a challenge on Dan Kerr. Cockhill responded to the setback in fantastic fashion by going ahead with their very next attack. Five  minutes later Cockhills Christy Duffy played a pass to Conor Allen on the left and he beat his man on the outside and got to the byline before delivering a great pass across goal for Paul Mullan to arrive and side foot to the net past keeper Denis Kpstkykin from six yards much to the delight of the Cockhill following. The  Inishowen side increased their lead just past the hour mark after  Darragh McDermott picked up on a loose clearance by Ethan McCaff twenty five  yards from goal and shot right footed to the net past keeper Kpstkykin outstretched left hand – a great strike from McDermott. Keadue made a few changes to get themselves back in the game but anything thrown at the Cockhill defence was dealt with comfortably. The one chance that did fall came to  Daire Gallagher on 72 minutes but the impressive Ryan Downey was there with a goal saving tackle inside the six yard box injuring himself in doing so but was able to continue after treatment. Keadue kept probing but Cockhill almost caught them on the counter when the lively Paul Mullan picked up the ball on the right inside his own half and went on a run down the right wing before beating two opponents as he headed into the box and his final shot brought a great save from keeper Kpstkykin in what would have been a goal worthy of winning any football match. As Keadue pushed to get back into the game Cockhill could have added a third on 83 minutes but Connor McDaid failed to put the finishes touches on a wonderful pass from his brother Ryan. The final action of note was when Cockhills Darragh O’Donnell produced an excellent save with his legs from Aaron McCafferty deep into stoppage time to deny Keadue what would have been a consolation at that stage.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Cockhill clinch league title 

Greencastle FC 0

Cockhill Celtic 2

Needing a point to clinch the league title Cockhill began well with a Lee McColgan free saved by Caolan McGrory.  Garbhan Friel then broke on the right and crossed  for Brendan McLaughlin but he was denied by a superb Ruari O’Donnell tackle.They took the lead on 12 minutes after Peter Doherty at the back post headed a deep free kick back out to McColgan who hammered low past McGrory from sixteen yards. Greencastle responded and O’Donnell crept in at the back post but fired over the bar.  Kyle Harkin then crossed for Nigel McMonagle who failed to direct his header on target before Harkin had a free gathered by Harry Doherty in the Cockhill goal. The visitors had the final chance of the half after McLaughlin broke into the area on the left but fired into the side netting. A scrappy second half saw Luke Rudden head the first chance wide for the visitors when well placed. Greencastle hit back with Nigel McMonagle breaking on the right and shooting just past the left hand post. The home side then had a spell with Seamus McLaughlin advancing on the left and his dangerous cross was scrambled clear. Their best chance came midway through the half when McMonagle got in behind the visitors defence but under pressure his half volley was well saved by Doherty.  Cockhill sealed the victory and the league title when a Corey McBride free from the right dropped under the  croccbar giving McGrory no chance. In the later stages Cockhill had a Peter Doherty shot saved and both Rudden and Friel blazed over as they saw the game out.

Buncrana Hearts 4

Illies Celtic 3

Illies took the lead in the 6th minute after Paul Doherty rose unchallenged to head home from a corner past Taylor Clarke.  From another corner Dominic Coyle saw another header saved by Clarke.  The home side replied with Aaron McDaid firing wide from Matthew Brownes cross before Shaunie Bradley cut inside a defender but saw his effort saved by the legs of Michael Owen Doherty. The Hearts were unlucky on 25 minutes from a Conor Doherty corner when Kevin O’Loughlins header crashed off the bar.  But Illies were causing problems especially in the flanks and Shaun McCallion broke on the right and crossed for Coyle to control and fire low past Clarke from nine yards.  They then made it three nil in the 36th minute after McCallion beat three men  and was upended in the area leaving Adrian Donaghey-Doherty to send Clarke the wrong way from the spot. Buncrana got a lifeline on the stroke of half time when a Calvin Gallagher Crossfield pass found McDaid who advanced along the byeline and squeezed the ball home from a tight angle. The home side upped the tempo after the restart and dominated . They got another goal back in the 49th minute when  a Kieran McDaid cross cum shot deceived Doherty and crept in at the post. Six minutes later they got back on terms after Kieran McDaids cross found Zach McFadden who v superbly guided a volley from seven yards past Doherty. And the turn around was compledt when they took the lead in the65th minute after Kieran McDaids cross was met with a superb glancing header from Aaron McDaid. The home side had two further late chances with Aaron McDaid firing into the side netting before Bart Wesolowski ran onto a through ball but Doherty advanced to smother.

Strand Hotel First Division 

Redcastle United 3

Rashenny FC 2

The home side began well with Stephen Grant crossing for Josh McConnellogue but he fired over the bar from the edge of the area. But on five minutes McConnellogue fired the home side ahead collecting an Eamon Donnelly pass  before drilling low past Sean Friel. But Rashenny grew into the game with Jon Grant seeing an effort from close range saved by Michale McCole . Then from a Redcastle corner David McLaughlin broke the length of the field and forced McCole in to another save from the edge of the area.On 40 minutes McLaughlin cut in from the left and found Cormac Dillon but he fired just past the right hand post. Against the run of play in the 44th minutes the home side doubled their lead when Donnelly collected a ball into midfield and released Grant to slot low past Friel. Redcastle had the first opportunity of the second half also when Lee Barr fed Grant whose cross picked out Darragh McConway but he fired just wide. But Rashenny responded and in the 55th minute got a goal back after a superb run and cross from Doherty picked out McLaughlin who headed to the top corner. Redcastle again stretched their lead on 75 minutes when Mark Farren collected a ball on the edge of the area and cut inside to shoot past Friel from fifteen yards.  But the visitors rallied  and on 82 minutes made it three two after Ryan Dohertys cross found John McLaughlin to head past McCole. Redcastle had a late chance then with Shaun Curran finding Farren but he shot narrowly wide.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two A

Sea Rovers 4

Cockhill Colts 1

Played in glorious sunshine at Gortnamullin Rovers knew only a victory would guarantee them a potential play off for the league title.The home side got off to the  perfect start when a long kick from Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin fell to Andrew Gallagher who finished perfectly to put the home side ahead. In a good evenly matched game with the greater of goal scoring opportunities falling to Rovers, a great strike by Daniel Gallagher forced Cockhill keeper Declan Caldwell into making a fine save. Rovers kept up the pressure and were rewarded when Andrew Gallagher beat a defender and shot low past the keeper Caldwell to leave them two goals to the good at the interval. The home side began the second half well and a good touch by Daniel Gallagher rounded one defender and a great strike from outside the box put the ball out of the reach of the keeper   to fire Sea Rovers three goal ahead. Cockhill responded and won a corner which fell kindly  to Jude O donnell who tapped in from close range to reduce the deficit. Cockhill pressed but a well claimed ball by Mark Mc Laughlin whose long ball again fell to Andrew Gallagher who took a fine touch and lobbed the keeper  to complete his hat trick. Rovers sub John Doherty rattled the crossbar with a great strike then before the last effort of the game fell to Jude O Donnell from Cockhill whose header went just wide of the post. Rovers win coupled with Gleneelys win means the league goes to a play off between both teams next Sunday in Maginn Park with a 12 noon kick off.

Gleneely Colts 3

Culdaff Res 1

Needing a win to force a play off for the league title Gleneely got the perfect start  in the 10th minute  when a Tristan McColgan corner found Nathan Doherty on the edge and his shot squeezed inside the  post past Odhran Douglas. They  had another chance on 20minutes when a long kick out from Ciaran Gallagher found  McColgan in behind the visitors defence but he fired wide. Culdaff equalised  midway through the half  after Dermot Dover converted a penalty when Noel McLaughlin was fouled in the area. At the other Shane Diver had a chance on the half hour when another long clearance from Gallagher got him in behind but Oran Douglas pulled off a good save to push it wide for a corner. Gleneely had the Nathan Doherty’s shot from the edge of the area was well saved on the line by Douglas. Gleneely regained the lead on  70minutes after  a Tristan McColgan corner found Shane Diver on the six yard box and he back heeled into the net. Gleneely made it safe then later when  a Billy McCann shot from out on the left nestled in the bottom corner. Matthew Doherty had a late  chance  but lifted the ball over the bar when well placed.