Reports Sunday 10th November

SUNDAY 10th November

FAI   Junior Cup

Buncrana Hearts               2

Castlefin Celtic                  1

The first half was a very entertaining affair  and on 8 minutes Ronan Tourish for the visitors was denied by the legs of Eoghan O Doherty. Buncrana replied with Eoin Murphy finding John Timlin on the right but his effort was superbly saved by Christopher O’Donnell.

Tourish then fired over from twenty yards before the visitors took the lead midway through the half after a defensive error allowed McKinney to slot past O’Doherty. Buncrana upped the tempo and Gerard Mclaughlin should have got the home side back on terms but from a superb Declan Fullerton cross he headed straight at O’Donnell. Immediately they were caught on the break with Tourish breaking clear but firing into the side netting. Buncrana replied and Fullerton’s corner was met by a superb glancing header from Gerard Boyle  to bring the sides level. Buncrana were the stronger side then with Shane Dillon heading just over, Boyle denied by a good save before Mikey Friel had another effort well saved by O’Donnell as the half ended. Buncrana started the second half well with Timlin firing wide before Friel saw an effort crash off the post. On 65 minutes Timlin then had another effort turned round the post by O’Donnell. In a rare foray into the home area Tourish saw an effort in a crowded goalmouth drift just wide. But on 75 minutes the Hearts got what turned out to be a deserved winner when a superb Eoin Murphy cross picked out Mclaughlin whose excellent downward header beat O Donnell. Castlefin tried to exert pressure but from their corner Kevin O Loughlin headed clear and broke onto the ball to release Friel but he fired wide. Castlefin substitute Mcnamee went close in injury time when he headed over from a corner but was under huge pressure.

Carn FC                                 2

Kildrum Tigers                    2       Kildrum win 5.3 on pens

Kildrum had an early chance after Conor Crossan released Kevin Mc Hugh but he shot high and wide with Daniel Houghton to beat. Carn then took the lead on 15 minutes after Brandon Browne released Cade Cooke and his cross was slotted home by Gert Dzerins. Carn should have doubled their lead after Shane Doherty intercepted and sent Browne clear but with only Rory Carr to beat he fired wide from fifteen yards. Kildrum had the final chance of the half when Gareth Colhoun broke on the right and crossed for Luke Toland  but he headed wide from twelve yards. Kildrum equalized in fortuitous fashion after a McHugh corner on 55minutes rebounded off Houghton to the net. Houghton then denied McHugh with a good save after good approach play by Oran Higgins. Carn responded and when Cooke’s free broke on the edge of the area Browne fired just over. Kildrum scored what looked like the winner on 87 minutes after Colhoun broke , cut inside a defender and drilled low past Houghton. But Carn rallied and on the stroke of full time substitute Christy McDaid collected Browne’s pass and crossed for Dzerins to slot low past Carr. Kildrum had the only chance of the second period with Colhoun beating a defender and finding Toland who drilled low but his effort drifted just wide. In the shootout Kildrum converted all five spot kicks to advance to the next round.

Greencastle FC                  5         

Donegal Town                    3

Greencastle started this game well and took the lead on 5 minutes after Nigel McMonagle retrieved the ball and crossed for Conor Gillen to slot home. On 15 minutes they made it two nil after James Henry had an effort well saved by Eamon McGinley but McMonagle pounced to drill home.But the visitors reduced the deficit when Zhagi had  an effort parried by Dylan Doherty  and Diarmuid Spratt headed the rebound home. But Greencastle regained their tow goal cushion when James Henry played a one two with brother Michael before seeing his cross swept home by Gillen from six yards. But again the visitors gave themselves a chance when a Joe McIntyre corner   was volleyed home by Stephen Culeen from six yards to leave the half time score three two in favour of the home side. In an explosive start to the second half the home side increased their lead after a superb low cross from McMonagle found the inrushing Jason Dickson to slot home from close range. But within a minute the visitors were awarded a penalty at the other end after Oisin Roper had been upended and McIntyre confidently fired to the top corner. Grencastle made the tie safe on 69 minutes after Darragh Brown released James Henry who beat two defenders before lifting the ball over the top for McMonagle who controlled, sidestepped a defender and fired high past McGinley. Dnegal Town had a late chance but a Roper header was tipped onto the bar by Doherty who recovered to gather the rebound.

Bonagee United                            0

Cockhill Celtic Youths                  5

Three goals in the opening 20 minutes from the visitors all but booked their place in the open draw for the FAI Junior Cup. The visitors opened the scoring on 6 minutes when Ronan McLaughlin curled a delightful free over the wall to go in off the upright giving keeper John Carr no chance. The second arrived on 10 minutes when Mark McDaid made a great run down the right and his shot across the keeper was spilled and Shay McLaughlin was alert to tap the ball home from inside the six yard box. Cockhill added number three on 17 minutes when, after getting pinned back by the home side for a period, they broke at pace and Conor Allen fed Shane A. Doherty to advance into the area and strike a delightful shot across the keeper, Carr, in off the post much to the delight of the visiting bench. Bonagee changed their shape at the start of the second period and it took Cockhill a little time to settle into the movement of the home players. Bonagees Aiden McLaughlin was disappointed to have an effort save by Cockhills Liam McGonagle after Cockhill switched off at a quick free kick, McLaughlin will be disappointed he didn’t score. Cockhill seemed happy to sit back and play on the counter and they added number  four on 60 minutes when Michael Owen finished off a passing move inside the area to shot low into the net from eight yards. Michael Owen Doherty added his second on 68 minutes to seal a emphatic victory for the visitors; a result that sees them advance to the open draw.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division           

Glengad United     3         

Illies Celtic              0

Glengad got their league title bid back on track with a resounding  win over an understrength Illies side.  The first chance came to the visitors on 15minutes after Liam Doherty advanced and cut the ball back to Kevin McGonagle who volleyed over the bar from the edge of the area. Minutes later Glengad opened the scoring when  Stephen Mclaughlin’s free kick which took a deflection on its way past Johnathan Noone. They made it two nil on 28 minutes after Christy Mclaughlin found Conor Barrow on the right and his deep cross was superbly volleyed home by Terence Doherty from eight yards. Illies had a chance before the break after PaddyDoherty released David Doherty who raced clear but fired straight at Kevin McLaughlin. Glengad made it three on 55 minutes after John G Mclaughlin flicked on for Dillon Ruddy to volley home from eight yards. Both Christy & Stephen Mclaughlin had effort s from distance go just over. On 80 minutes PaddyDoherty fed Liam Doherty and he fired just wide from the edge of the area.

Moville Celtic                     0

Culdaff FC                            2

Culdaff started brightly with Darren Mullarkey attempting a low drive and Ciaran Doherty with a header on target from a free kick. In the 15th minute Moville’s Michael McNaught fed Norbert Indyka on the left but his placed shot went wide of the far post. On the half hour Harley for Moville found substitute Caolan Doherty but his effort was well held by visiting keeper Darragh McLaughlin. Jack McLaughlin then worked a shooting chance for Culdaff only for Moville keeper Houghton to gather his effort. The home side exerted pressure with McLaughlin saving Caolan Doherty’s near post shot with his feet while Pauric Skelly’s header from a Moville free kick was cleared off the line by a defender. Near the end of the first half Brian McCandless had his near post header saved by Houghton.

Early in the second half McCandless’ misplaced shot fell to Noel McLaughlin only for him to slice his effort wide when he was well placed. At the other end Caolan Doherty’s fierce drive was well blocked by Culdaff’s Barry Fitzpatrick. On the hour Moville made the breakthrough after Finn McLaughlin went on a drive from defence with his pass to Caolan Doherty on the right letting the sub fire in a cross which Conor Doherty swept home at the back post. Moments later a long pass from Shane Canning set McNaught free but after rounding the keeper he fired past the upright while under pressure from a defender. Moville got a second in the 70th minute from substitute Marc Bell who fired into the bottom corner from Jack McConnellogue’s cut back in the area after he was set free with some fine work by Harley in midfield. In the closing minutes Culdaff  nearly reduced the deficit with Damien Duffy’s half volley going inches wide while Caolan Doherty’s low drive from distance was smartly pushed around the post by McLaughlin to keep the score  two nil.

Strand Hotel Division One

Redcastle United              4

Dunree United                   0

In a tight opening period both defences were on top with no clear cut chances. The home side took the lead on 27 minutes after Cathal Crumlish fired a superb twenty five yards effort over Ryan Fitzpatrick to the roof of the net. The visitors replied and when Liam Baldrick crossed from the right Thomas Mulhern headed narrowly over.  Dunreehad the first chance of the second half when Mulhern fed Liam Baldrick but well placed he fired over the bar. Redcastle increased their lead on the hour after Darragh McConway raced clear and rounded Fitzpatrick to slot home. McConway  then added a third after he rounded a defender and fired low to the corner from twelve yards. A long kick out from Ryan McCole in the home goal  was collected by Evan Craig and he skipped past a defender before slotting past Fitzpatrick to complete the scoring.

Rasheney FC                       4                     

Greencastle Res                2

The visitors stunned the home side when they broke the deadlock on 9 minutes after a long throw in by Joe Doherty was collected by Andrew peoples who controlled turned and fired past Paddy McGilloway. Rasheney responded with Shane Cregan denied by the advancing Jack McKenna before  both David McLaughlin and Paul McConalogue  headed over. On the break Greencastle’s Shea McLaughlin crossed from the left for Doherty whose first time effort clipped the crossbar before a peoples piledriver from thirty yards was gathered by McGilloway. Rasheney equalised then on 39 minutes after McLaughlin dispossessed a defender and unleashed a superb twenty five yards effort to the top corner.Before the break  Cormac Dillon released McLaughlin and he sidestepped McKenna  before slotting home. Greencastle started strongly with a David Walker shot palmed away and a lot of pressure with no clear chances. On the hour David McLaughlin released Cregan through the middle but McKenna saved. Then in a crowded area McConalogue had an effort beaten away by McKenna but Dillon blazed the rebound over with the goal gaping. Following a corner the ball was cleared to  David McLaughlin to drill a powerful low shot through a crowd of players and make it three one completing his hat trick. Greencastle substitute arc Doherty advanced and fed Peoples to fire to the top corner from twenty yards. Shea McLaughlin then dinked the ball into the area to Peoples but McGilloway managed to smother. Rasheney sealed their first league win of the season on 87 minutes when Dillon fed Charlie Doherty who crossed for McLaughlin to hit a rising  shot past McKenna and complete his four goal blast. Greencastle had two late half chances bot falling to Joe Doherty with one saved ad one sailing over.

QPS                                        1         

Gleneely Colts                   1

The point dominated the opening half  with David Healy heading a Darragh McIntyre cross just over on 8 minutes. John McCloskey then fashioned an opportunity when he cut inside but saw his effort drift agonisingly wide. On 33 minutes Caolan Travers burst through but Eddie McNamee advance to block and McCloskeys follow up was cleared off the line. McCloskey then saw a superb flick header from a Stephen McHendry cross clip the post. Gleneely responded on 38 minutes after a Keelan Hegarty free found JJ Doherty but he headed wide at the back post. Before the break McIntyre advanced on the left and his cross hit the inside of the post before being cleared. On 49 minutes Hegarty floated in a free from the right and Oisn Burke punched clear as JJ Doherty was about to pounce. A minute later Dylan McDaid unleashed a shot from the edge of the area which Burke saved well. The point responded with lee Barr releasing Travers with a ball over the top and he laid off for Healy whose twenty yards effort whizzed just wide.  Travers then found himself well placed but McNamee advanced to block. On 61minutes Gleneely opened the scoring when Hegarty’s corner from the left  saw a scramble develop and Jordan O’Brien poked the ball home. They had another opportunity then when Nathan Mclaughlin had an effort saved by Burke. The point replied and a Healy free kick was saved by McNamee. The Point equalised on 83 minutes after Darragh Gillens effort was well parried by McNamee but Travers pounced on the loose ball to slot home. The home side pushed hard for a winner with Ross Nicholas breaking forward and feeding Healy  but his attempted lob was held by McNamee. In the final action McHendry had an effort which clipped the bar on the way over.

Aileach Res                                     1

Clonmany Shamrocks                  1

Both teams served up a quality game at Lakeside on Sunday morning.  Aileach started the brighter with Jordan McGeady linking the play together superbly.  Aileach broke the deadlock on 25 minutes when Shane McMonagle collected a clearance, beat a couple of players and fired into the far corner past Paddy  Harkin in the Clonmany goal.  Clonmany came roaring back and Jason Devlin raced on to a through ball and shot narrowly wide of the Aileach goal.  Aileach suffered a blow just before half time when Paddy Curran picked up an injury.  Clonmany took advantage of their extra man advantage and pulled level on the stroke of half time when Oisin Hession clipped a lovely ball into the path of Jason Devlin who lifted over Ciaran Bradley to level the scores.  The second half continued as the first half ended with Clonmany having most of the ball but Aileach very dangerous on the break.  Aileach almost regained the lead 10 minutes into the second half when Stephen Doherty raced clear on the right and his cross picked out substitute Gareth McLaughlin at the back post who shot was blocked by Liam Hirrell.  Aileach had the best chance of the half on 20 minutes when Stephen Doherty was upended in the box by Paddy Harkin.  Harkin made amends by saving Doherty’s penalty with a superb save to his left hand side. Clonmany came straight back and a cross the far post was headed over by Mark McLaughlin.  With 15 minutes left on the clock, Stephen Doherty gathered the ball at the half way line and went on a run beating three players in the process, he found himself one on one with Harkin again and this time his shot went over the bar.  Clonmany pushed for a winner in the  final stages but couldn’t create a clear cut opportunity.  Aileach’s  defence survived a couple of late goalmouth scrambles to earn a deserved point.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Clonmany Celtic                4

Illies Res                              2

In a great open game of football it Illies took the lead  after Alan Fletcher saw his free kick come off the wall and he lashed the rebound to the top corner. Clonmany skipper Raymond McDaid equalised with a superb  diving header. The home side then took the lead after Gerard McDaid fired a low shot into the bottom right hand corner . Illies started well after the break  and Patrick O’Connor headed home from a corner. But a penalty from Raymond McDaid put the home side  ahead again  and Brendan Devlin made it 4-2  when he converted a   pinpoint cross from Neil O Donnell.

Redcastle Res                    5

Carrowmena FC                 3

In an entertaining clash the home side took the lead on 10minutes after an Oran Farren cross found Ryan Duffy to slot past Liam Doherty. Minutes  later Duffy added another after he ran onto an Aiden Ferns pass to drill past Doherty. But an error in the home defence presented Robert Kane with a chance to halve the deficit and he fired past Ryan McCole. Redcastle upped the tempo and went three one up on the half hour after Gavin Grant fed  Farren and he fired a sweetly struck shot low past Doherty from twenty yards. Once again the home defence failed to clear before the break and Declan McGuinness saw his first effort rebound off the post but he reacted well to slot the rebound home.Ten minutes after the restart the home side pounced again to make it four two when Michael McCarron threaded a ball into the path of Duffy and he completed his hat trick from twelve yards. But the visitors refused to roll over and on 66 minutes Raymond Campbell cushioned  a header into the path of McGuiness to fire low to the net. But the home side sealed the points on 81 minutes after a Darren Davenport effort was well parried  but Paul Doherty reacted first to head the loose ball home and clinch the points.

Culdaff Res                          2

Aileach Youths                   3

In beautiful calm conditions defences were on top in the opening twenty minutes. But the visitors took the lead on 25 minutes after good work on the left by Matthew McDermott ended when he squared the ball for Darren Bradley to slot past Martin McLaughlin in the home goal. McLaughlin then produced a stunning save to  deny Callum Porter after he had gotten on the end of another cross from McDermott. Bu the home side rallied and equalised on the stroke of half time after a Damien Duffy ball down the line saw Matthew Crampsey dispossess a defender and square the ball for Ben Curley to drill low to the corner. Aileach got off to a quick start and regained the lead on 53 minutes when the home defence failed to clear and Stephen O Donnell drilled low to the corner from twenty yards. The home side rallied and got back on terms for a second time after a Matt McDaid corner crept in at the near post through a crowd of players.  But poor defending again in the home defence minutes later saw O Donnell pounce to drill home from the edge of the area. Culdaff tried hard and came close after Crampsey released Damien Duffy but from a tight angle his effort hit the side netting.

Carn  Res                  1                     

Dunree Res             2

Carn started the better and in the opening fifteen minutes Callum Crumlish had three chances but skied one over the bar, dragged another wide and was then denied by Philip Doherty in the Dunree goal.. Dunree settled and took the lead midway through the half after Tommy Doherty converted a penalty awarded for handball. After a scramble in the visitors area Crumlish pounced to get the home side back on terms . But before the break the visitors regained the lead after Bryce Fullerton rose high to head home following a corner. Carn dominated the second half and Kyron Cantwell  had a trio of headers flash wide on 50,67 and 80 minutes. Then in a final attempt to salvage a point a Josh Diver effort was well saved by Philip Doherty

Moville Res             3         

Rasheney Res         1

Moville had the first attempt on 15 minutes after a Conor Lafferty free kick found Kyle Harkin whose header was tipped round the post by Roger McGilloway. The next chance did not come until the 40th minute when a Lafferty free was superbly tipped round the post by McGilloway. Moville took the lead then after Harkin’s cross was kept in by Danny Murphy to square for Lee McColgan to fire to the top corner. A minute later Murphy repeated the trick keeping the ball alive and squaring for Harkin to drill home from six yards. Rasheney started well and on 50 minutes a Corny McCole free kick was well saved by Ryan Coyle.Moville responded and increased their lead when Lafferty weaved past a couple of defenders before shooting low and hard past McGilloway. McGilloway then pulled off a string of good saves to deny Lafferty, Murphy and Christy McGeoghaghan. Rasheney got a consolation on 89 minutes when McCole’s free was met by Joey Holland to flick past Coyle.

Cockhill Res            2         

Clonmany Res        3

Clonmany started the match the better of the two sides and took an early lead when Alex McFadden did well to beat Shaun Friel in the Cockhill goal to give the visitors the lead with a fine strike from just inside the box. Clonmany were two up shortly after when Cockhill failed to clear their lines from a corner it was Mickey Devlin who was quickest to react to bundle the ball home from close range. Cockhill grew in to the match and pulled one back midway through the first half. Ryan McDaid played a good pass in behind the Clonmany defence to Paul Duffy who’s excellent cross to the back post was headed home by Gary Breslin. Shortly before half time Cockhill were level when Ryan McDaid fired home past Tiarnan Doherty after a Mark Gillespie cross from the left was deflected in to his path he did well to finish it first time high in to the net. Cockhill nearly took the lead early in the second half when John Grant made a great forward run but his shot under pressure was saved by Tiarnan Doherty. Sean Bradley was next up for Cockhill as he found himself in space just outside the 6 yard box but his header from a Ryan McDaid corner went just over the bar. Cockhill had another good chance to take the lead when Paul Duffy looked set to win it late on for Cockhill only for a last ditch block from Clonmany defender Paul Devlin denied the young Cockhill player. Moments later Clonmany found a late winner when Brendan Devlin capitalised on some hesitancy in the Cockhill defence and lobbed the keeper from 30 yards out.