Reports 27th Nov

Inishowen Football League 27th November

Oscar Traynor Inter League

Inishowen League       2

Donegal League           1

Inishowen got out of jail in this hard fought local derby in Maginn Park to keep their Oscar Traynor hopes alive but in truth they were lucky to do so. They suffered a blow in the opening minutes of the game when Dillon Ruddy was on the end of a very rash tackle which went unpunished and Ruddy had to be replaced by Shaun Doherty. On 11 minutes Inishowen’s first effort came from Brendan McLaughlin but his curling effort was well held by  Mark Gallagher.

A defensive error at the other end gave possession to Pa Jo Rafferty whose first effort was parried by Kevin Mclaughlin and Damien Crossan ‘s follow up blocked by John G McLaughlin before a third effort was blocked and recovered by keeper McLaughlin. A James Melly free was then headed back by Rafferty but McLaughlin saved acrobatically to his left before Matthew Byrne cleared. Inishowen took the lead on 39 minutes after a long clearance by Michael Barr  found Terence Doherty who brilliantly turned a defender and steered the ball past Gallagher from the edge of the area. Donegal had an early chance on 56 minutes when a free from Melly into the area was headed wide by Paul Sweeney while at the other end Doherty broke on the right and his driven cross was brilliantly gathered by Gallagher. Donegal kept pushing forward and helped by the home side’s poor decision making deservedly levelled on 71 minutes when another Melly free saw Ciaran McGeady get enough on the ball to deflect it to the net. Inishowen replied instantly with substitute Anthony Doherty crossing fro Terence Doherty but his header was saved  by Gallagher. Then on 88 minutes another substitute William Mclaughlin began the move on the left releasing Brendan McLaughlin who found Shaun Doherty in midfield. Doherty released Anthony Doherty on the right he advanced  before drilling a superb low cross for Terence Doherty to slot home and break Donegal hearts.

 Inishowen League: Kevin McLaughlin; Michael Barr, John Gerard McLaughlin, Matthew Byrne, Fearghal Harkin; Dillon Ruddy (Shaun Doherty  2 minutes), Shane Canning, Brendan McLaughlin Nigel McMonagle (William McLaughlin 80); Aiden Friel (Anthony Doherty 70 ), Terence Doherty.

Not Used – Darragh McLaughlin, Ryan Kelly.


Donegal League: Mark Gallagher, Jamie Boyle, Ray Quinn (Micheál Doherty), Paul Sweeney, Patrick Cannon; Ciaran McGeady, Philip Whyte, James Melly (Glenn Gallagher), Damian Crossan (Kevin Doran ); Pajo Rafferty, Ritchie Moore (Gavin McGlanaghey ).



  P W D L F A Pts
Cavan Monaghan 2 2 0 0 7 3 6
Inishowen 2 2 0 0 5 2 6
Donegal 2 0 0 2 2 4 0
Sligo Leitrim 2 0 0 2 3 8 0


Weekend 7/8th January

Inishowen           v                 Cavan Monaghan

Donegal               v                 Sligo Leitrim

Sunday  27th

Strand Hotel Division One   

Sea Rovers                             1

Redcastle  United                  1

Redcastle were first to threaten when Brendan Murphy broke on the right but his low cross was headed clear by Graham Morgan. Rovers took over for the remainder of the half and broke the dead lock on 21 minutes when a Liam Gallagher cross found Kieran Doherty whose initial effort was blocked but he collected the rebound and rounded Michael McCole to score. Damien Ward then saw a twenty five yards effort tipped round by McCole before John C Doherty looked destined to score but the ball bobbled in front of him and the chance was lost. Redcastle came more into the game with Murphy and Ryan Duffy prominent but were restricted to a few long range efforts. They got back on  terms  when after a low delivery from a corner Murphy flicked the ball home at the near post. In the closing stages both teams had claims for a penalty waved away but in the end a share  of the spoils was a fair result.

QPS Res                        4

Carrowmena FC           4

A lively encounter saw the hosts take the lead in the second minute. Adam Harkin beat the offside trap to latch on to Paul Heagrty’s low through ball before coolly finishing into the bottom left corner. Hegarty almost doubled the lead two minutes later but his effort from the left went just wide after being laid on by Harkin. The Muff side had two more good early chances. Jack McConnelogue’s header was cleared off the line after a good cross from Harkin on the right while Kevin Wallace headed over from six yards from a Hegarty corner. At the other end, Conor Lafferty went close with a twenty-yard free-kick.Carrowmena reversed the scoreline with two goals in six minutes. On eighteen minutes, the visitors broke from a Swifts corner and Conor Radcliffe finished well into the bottom corner from ten yards. Then on twenty-four minutes, a long ball from Killian Dougal beat the Point defence and Conor Lafferty curled the ball around an oncoming David Bell into the bottom right corner. But the Muff side were level five minutes later when Carrowmena keeper Samuel Bredin mis-judged Paul Grant’s thirty-five yard free-kick and the ball rolled into the net. The rest of the first half was a scrappy affair with both sides engaged in a midfield battle.

The away side started the second half brighter. Colin Doherty’s well-struck effort from twenty-five yards forced a good save from Bell, and the young Point keeper had to be alert again on fifty-one minutes to deal with Dane Doherty’s snap shot from a corner. Their pressure was rewarded in fifty-fifth minute. Dean McGeoghan’s well-timed pass broke Quigley’s Point high defensive-line and released Conor Lafferty down the right, who squared a pass to Dane Doherty for an easy tap in from six yards. But Swifts hit back two minutes later. A long diagonal ball from Paul Grant beat the Carrowmena defence and found young striker Josh McLaughlin who controlled well before tucking the ball home from close-range.

Both sides continued to push in a pulsating period of the game. Colin Doherty had another long-range effort saved by David Bell, while Paul Hegarty’s shot from the edge of the Carrowmena box went inches wide. Carrowmena midfielder Christopher McGeoghan headed over after a good-free kick on the right from Lafferty, while Kevin Wallace headed wide from a Paul Hegarty corner for the hosts.

Quigley’s Point regained the lead in the seventy-first minute. After some good build-play around the penalty area, Paul Grant lofted a beautifully weighted pass over the defence to Jack McConnelogue and the young midfielder made no mistake from six yards to make it four-three. The visitors should have been level a minute later. Conor Radcliffe’s cross from the left was tipped onto the bar and over by Bell. From the resulting corner, Colin Doherty’s header was cleared off the line by Simon Wallace before substitute Mark Doherty blasted the rebound over the bar.

With both sides tiring, Carrowmena were reduced to ten men with five minutes left when Conor Lafferty was sent-off for a second bookable offence. But with two minutes left, they snatched an equalizer. A long-free-kick from their own half was headed on by Christopher McGeoghan, and Gerard Gill brilliantly hooked an effort at full stretch over David Bell into the net to secure a vital point for the bottom placed side.

Moville Celtic               1

Clonmany  Res             1

Good work by Michael McNaught on the right saw him feed Conor Doherty but Liam McGonigle was equal to his effort on 18 minutes. Midway through the half PJ Barr found Billy McCann who drove over from twenty yards. Clonmany then took the lead after Brendan Doherty fed Oisin Hession on the right and his cross found Dessie Doherty whose powerful effort from ten yards beat Sean McGuinness who got a hand to the ball. Hession then curled a twenty five yards effort just over before Brendan Doherty latched onto a long free but his effort was deflected away by Ryan Killen.

When the home defence failed to clear Ryan Doherty crossed for Mark Mclaughlin whose driven effort was tipped over by McGuinness. In injury time a short corner ended with McLaughlin seeing another effort parried by McGuinness before the ball was cleared by a defender. On 55 minutes Dessie Doherty fed Mclaughlin but his effort was saved by McGuinness. At the other end McGonigle failed to hold an effort from Barr and the ball fell to Killen whose low effort was saved by McGonigle. Minutes later a Clonmany corner found both Devlin and Kelly unmarked but somehow they both failed to connect. On the hour Moville’s Finn McLaughlin’s long range effort  was tipped over by McGonigle. When the clearance fell to McNaught he drove over from distance. The home side equalised on 88 minutes when Norbert Indyka’s effort was parried and in the scramble the ball fell to McNuaght who slotted low to the net. In injury time a Colin Doherty free was held by McGonigle. At the other end a Dessie Doherty free drifted just wide.


Rasheney  FC               2

Illies Celtic                    3

In good conditions Rasheney got off to a great start on 6 minutes when David Mclaughlin laid the ball off to Damien Friel who fired a dipping effort past Johnathan Noone from nineteen yards.Illies had the lions share of possession after  this and Dominick Coyle fired one effort over before seeing another effort gathered at the second attempt by Sean Friel. On 20minutes J Pio Donaghey and Martin Coyle combined for Kevin McGonigle but he drove wide from twelve yards. On the half hour Donaghey broke on the right but was denied by a superb Tiernan Devine tackle. Illies  pressure told on the stroke of half time when Donaghey was upended in the area and he picked himself up to convert the penalty. At the start of the second half Coyle was clear of the home defence but his effort was blocked by the leg of Friel in the home goal. On 55 minutes a deflection fell kindly for Coyle who headed wide from in front of the goals. Rasheney regained the lead on the hour after a Matthew McLaughlin cross found Friel who turned and fired low to the net from fourteen yards. Illies replied with a long range McGonagle effort saved by Friel before on 66 minutes Mickey Gallagher in space  fired low past Friel from twenty two yards. The visitors struck for the winner on 85 when substitute Ryan McElhinney threaded a ball into the path of Stephen Doherty who fired low to the net from ten yards.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  11am

Culdaff Res                   4

Illies Res                       1

Illies got off to a great start on 10 minutes when after good work by Seamus Donaghey on the left his low cross was fired to the bottom corner by Adrian Donaghey Doherty from ten yards. Culdaff replied and Joe O Connor had an effort deflected inches wide  after good approach by Cathal & Patrick McGrenaghan. Illies spurned a great chance to double their lead before the interval when Donaghey again crossed for Donaghey-Doherty but he failed to convert from ten yards. Culdaff started the second period well and had claims for a penalty waved aside after Cathal McGrenaghan went down. The home side got back on terms on the hour mark after a Niall McLaughlin free broke off the wall to Aiden Cunningham and he fired low to the corner. Culdaff took the lead when a Thomas O Brien free found McLaughlin whose header crept over the line despite the best efforts of keeper Kevin Gallagher. Illies replied and substitute Michael Gallagher flashed a long range effort just past the post. Culdaff increased their lead when Mick McLaughlin fed Cunningham who fired a stunning effort to the top corner. They added another when Shane Diver held off two defenders  and squared for Matthew Mullarkey to blast to the roof of the net from twelve yards.

Dunree Res                  1

Redcastle Res              4

There was a delay to this game when Michael Bonner was injured and as  a result the home side’s David Doherty was red carded. From the free kick Brian Tracey curled a twenty five yards effort into the top corner. There was little between the teams until the 51st minute when Dean Francis cut in from the right and fired low past Simon Taylor from twenty yards. Dunree replied and Neil Moran broke clear but was denied by a fine save from Terry McColgan. Recastle made it three nil after a corner broke to Evan Craig and he slotted home from close range. The home side reduced the deficit on 77 minutes when a Conor Doherty found James Doherty who scored with a spectacular over head kick from ten yards. But Redcastle completed the scoring when Cathal Faulkner collected a loose ball and drilled low to the corner from twenty yards.

Cockhill Res                  2

Glengad Res                 2     

Cockhill created the first chance of the match after 2 minutes when Jude Mullan shot just wide of Ronan Lafferty’s far post.Glengad replied when   a long range effort on 10 minutes from Seamus Doherty sailed over the bar. Cockhill spurned a great chance after 15 minutess when Andy McElhinney hit the ball straight at Glengad keeper Ronan Lafferty from point blank range after a corner. The ball was eventually cleared by Chris Doherty. After more pressure from Cockhill and another corner, Andy McElhinney just missed the target from inside the six yard box. Glengad almost made Cockhill pay for their earlier missed chances when PJ McDaid headed over from a good cross by Chris Doherty. Jude Mullan was unlucky when he had two good chances one after another but Ronan Lafferty saved well to deny him and Gary Breslin then narrowly missed the target from the ensuing corner.The last chance of the half fell to Martin McDermott who hit a fine shot from thirty yards but Ronan Lafferty made a great save to tip it round the post. Cockhill started the second half well, piling on the pressure and on the front foot as they had through most of the first half. First forcing an early corner, then Kevin McDaid went close with a good shot from the edge of the box. Cockhill finally made the breakthrough on 50 minutes when Ryan Mallett poked home from close range after good work by Gary Breslin. Cockhill went close again  shortly after when Jude Mullan was again denied by a good stop from Ronan Lafferty and Gary Breslin shot over

from the rebound. Ryan Mallett on 60 minutes almost grabbed his and Cockhill’s second but shot over when he found space in the box.

With their first chance of the second half on 65 minutes Glengad equalised when a long ball was volleyed in to the net  by McDaid past Liam Lynch from just inside the box. Within a few minutes Cockhill were back in front after good work and a shot by Kevin McDaid, his shot was parried by Ronan Lafferty but Gary Breslin was well placed to prod home from close range to give Cockhill a deserved lead.Just as it looked as if Cockhill were going to hold on for a well deserved

win Seamus Doherty latched on to a long ball to make it two all with only five minutes remaining.

Moville Res                  1

Gleneely Colts              5

The home side got a dream start when they took the lead on 2 minutes after a Nathan Harkin free was headed home by Michael Gillespie at the back post. But the Colts replied when Eddie McNamee had a good effort saved by Ryan Coyle. The colts did get back on terms when  Corey O’Brien beat three defenders and fired low past Coyle on 13 minutes. Three minutes later Kieran White broke through the home defence and hammered a shot in off the underside of the bar from the edge of the area. And White added another before the break when he latched onto a long clearance from Adrian Duffy and hammered low past Coyle. After a quiet start to the second period the visitors increased their lead when O’Brien evaded a defender inside the area and drilled low to the net. Moville rallied and Kyle Harkin had an effort saved by Duffy before Graeme Doherty just failed to connect at the back post. But the visitors completed the scoring when substitute Nathan McLaughlin beat two defenders to shoot low to the corner.

Greencastle  Res         5

Rasheney Res              4

In a high scoring encounter Greencastle roared into a three nil lead in the opening twenty minutes. They started in the 2nd minute when Ronan Doherty laid the ball back to Pauric Gillen who curled to the top corner past Kieran O Neill from twenty yards out. At the other end Johnathan Toland had a half chance saved by Puaric Carey-Doherty. On 12 minutes Doherty broke on the right and pulled the ball back for John Downey to fire low to the net from twelve yards and make it two nil. It became three on 18 minutes when after a long kick out Doherty ran on to fire low to the corner. Rasheney reduced the deficit after a quick break John McLaughlin latched onto the ball and fired low to the corner. Midway through the half following a corner Toland got the final touch to make it three two. The visitors completed an amazing half when Jack McLaughlin unmarked in the area controlled and fired to the net. Ten minutes into the second period Doherty broke into the area and fed John McDermott who drilled low past O’Neill from eight yards and regain the lead. Rasheney rallied again and equalised when Michael Toland controlled and fired an un-stopabble effort to the top corner from twenty