Match Reports Sunday 9th February

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   2pm

Cockhill Celtic Youths      5

Culdaff FC                          0

Cockhill Celtic Youth ran out 5-0 winners earlier today at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds with the scoreline harsh on the visitors Culdaff FC.

The home side created two good chances inside the first 15 minutes firstly on 8 minutes when Mark McDaid picked up a pass from Adam McLaughlin in the inside right position and cut the ball back for Darragh McDermott to blaze over the bar from 12 yards out at the angle. McDaid was involved again when he released Oisin O’Flaherty on the right and his ball into the box was a near certain goal but McDermott failed to get the connection required at the back post with Callum Doherty in the visitors goal stranded. Culdaff had a few free kicks from dangerous positions into the Cockhill box inside the first half hour but the delivery was often carried by the strong breeze and nothing for the front pair of Brian McCandless and Michael Coyle to attack. Cockhill opened the scoring on 30 minutes when Conor Allen forced the ball home from 6 six yards out after Darragh McDermotts initial volley from Mark McDaids cross was kept out by a wonderful save from Doherty who could do nothing about the rebound that Allen tucked away. Culdaff should have levelled the game on 36 minutes but when McCandless and Coyle combined for the later to release Aiden Cunningham the young wide players shot was well saved by Liam McGonagle in the home net much to the relief of the home dug-out.Culdaff changed things up at half time and brought on Dermot Diver to play right back; this also added more height for set pieces and within the first 15 minutes of the restart the visitors had three decent deliveries into the home box one header from Diver went over the bar while Coyle also had a header over the bar and the third was cleared by the home defence. On 68 minutes Cockhill went 2-0 up, somewhat against the run of play, when Killian O’Rourke scored a wonder goal. O’Rourke picked up a ball on the left 25 yards from goal and got his head up to strike a powerful effort in over the helpless Doherty off the crossbar and into the back of the net. The visitors heads dropped after this and on 70 minutes Cockhill added a third when Mark McDaid received a short pass from Eoin Deery to advance into the area and shoot right footed into the bottom corner from 16 yards passed Dohertys outstretched right hand. Eoin McNamee then added a fourth in similar fashion as he picked up a through ball from Deery to run into the area and passed the ball into the bottom corner giving the keeper Doherty no chance diving to his right. Adam McLaughlin finished the scoring on 84 minutes when he picked up the ball 30 yards from goal when on a run and finished by shooting low to the bottom corner from 12 yards passed the outstretched left hand of keeper Doherty.

Glengad United                 2

Moville Celtic                     0

With the advantage of the wind in the opening half the home side dominated but were restricted to efforts from outside the area from Seamus and Terence Doherty which were both saved by Ryan Coyle. The home side broke the deadlock on 38 minutes after a Seamus Doherty inswinging corner evaded all defenders on its way to the net. They had another chance after Stephen McLaughlin advanced on the right and crossed for Terence Doherty but his close range effort was brilliantly saved by Coyle. Glengad doubled their lead on the stroke of half time after  a defensive mistake allowed Terence Doherty to race clear and drill low past the advancing Coyle.Glengad had the first chance of the second half when good work by Conor Barrow ended when he picked out Seamus Doherty  but he fired straight at Coyle from eight yards. Moville responded and after good build up between Shane Canning and Conor Doherty the latter saw his shot gathered by Daniel Mullarkey. Glengad went close again after Dillon Ruddy released Terence Doherty over the top but blazed wide. Moville almost got one back after Canning unleashed a twenty five yards effort which Mullarkey tipped over the bar. Glengad controlled the closing stages with half chance from Terence Doherty and Cathal McDaid both off target.

Carn FC                                 0

Buncrana Hearts               3

Carn created the first chance on 8 minutes when Lorcan Bradley broke on the right wing and rounded the defender and laid it off for Girts Dzerins who failed to hit the target from 10 yards. Buncrana broke in the 12th minute  on the left wing when a cross from Gerard Boyle from  22 yards swerved and went into the bottom corner of the net. Buncrana nearly doubled their lead on 22 minutes after Darach O’Connor broke on the right  and crossed for Bart Wesloski whose low effort was well saved by Gerard Crossan in the Carn goal. Buncrana did get their second goal when Declan Fullerton broke on the right and laid it off for Weslowski who slotted it home with the aid of a deflection off a defender. Carn had a chance to pull one back on 55 minutes when Christy Doherty pass on the right wing found Dzerins who shot low from inside 18 yard box but just wide. On 72 minutes Buncrana nearly extended their lead to three when sub Kieran McDaid broke on the right wing  and rounded the defender but fired wide from 12 yards. Buncrana got their third goal on 87 minutes after O’Connor broke on the right wing and rounded the defender and laid it off for sub Stephen McHugh who drove a powerful shot to the bottom right corner of the net from just outside the 18 yard box.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A   

Clonmany Celtic                1

Moville Res                         0

In difficult conditions for both teams there were very few clear cut chances with defences on top and a lot of the play in the midfield area. The home side had slightly the better of things but found the Moville defence a tough nut to crack.          The best chance of the opening half came to the home side after Karol Harkin’s blistering run forward saw him fire wide when a pass to a better placed team mate looked the better option. Moville battled well in the second half with James Gillen and Danny Murphy prominent but again failed to create clear chances. The game was decided on 81minutes after good build up play from Dessie Doherty and Michale Grant saw the latter cross for Liam Hirrell to guide the ball into the  bottom corner from eight yards.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B   

Illies Res                              6

Carrowmena FC                 1         

In windy conditions on an excellent surface there was little action until the home side took the lead on 19minutes after a John Pio Donaghy cross found Ethan Doherty to slot low past Brian Houghton from twelve yards. But the visiotrs equalised on 27 minutes after Raymond Campbell rose superbly to head a free kick high past Kevin Gallagher in the home goal. Illies could have regained the lead before the break when Ronan Hegarty broke clear but fired over the bar. They went close after  the break when Donagheys effort crashed off the bar to Gavin Doherty but Houghton saved superbly. Illies regained the lead on 52 minutes after substitute Joe McLaughlin found Hegarty to rifle an unstoppable effort to the roof of the net from sixteen yards. Houghton then pulled off two superb saves to deny Hegarty but Illies added a third on the hour mark. Stephen McGonigle advanced from midfield and unleashed a superb strike from twenty yards to the roof of the net. When Gavin Dohertys cross was steered home by Ethan Doherty to make it four one the game was over as a contest. Gavin Doherty then got in on the act breaking through the visitors defence to slot low past Houghton. Illies completed the scoring on 84minutes when McLaughlin’s cross was slotted home at the back post by Hegarty.