Match Reports Sunday 8th October

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana 3-1 Glengad

In this game between last years top two sides Buncrana Hearts came out on top with an easy 3-1 Victory. Glengad started well and went in front

after 90 seconds when Paddy McDermot scored from 12 yards after a great ball across the box by Christopher McLaughlin Hearts settled into the game after this and deservedly equalised when Ben Bradley scored from close range after some excellent work on the left hand side from Shane Dillon and Decky Fullerton. Hearts continued to press the glengad goal and Kieran McDaid flashed an effort on 25 minutes. Glengad however came back into the game and almost went 2-1 up when Christopher McLaughlin flashed a long range effort just wide. Hearts should have went in 2-1 infront at half time when Bart Wesolowski fired over after being played through 1 on 1 with the keeper. Second and hearts continued were they left off and Bradley saw his effort across goal bounce out after hitting the post. They however did go 2-1 up on the hour mark after Kieran McDaid played an excellent ball through for Wesolowski to put into the net past the out rushing keeper. Glengad came out after this and McLaughlin again saw his long range effort failing to test McGonigle in the Hearts goal. Glengad were reduced to 10 men for the last 15 minutes when Matthew Byrne was sent off for a foul on McDaid when he was in on goal. Hearts wrapped the game up with 5 Minutes to go when Kevin O’Loughlin headed home a McDaid corner. Full time Buncrana Hearts 3-1 Glengad

Clonmany 3-1 Culdaff

Culdaff will  rue the missed chances in this game that would have kept them top of the table but a resilient Clonmany got all three points in this encounter Clonmany had the first effort Mark Mc Laughlin and Jason Devlin combined to set up Raymond Mc Daid but he blazed over the bar from 6yds with just Darragh Mc Laughlin to beat

Clonmany took the lead on 26 min when Jason Devlin broke down the left and crossed for Mark Mc Laughlin to  slot to  bottom right hand corner past Mc Laughlin, Culdaff drew level on 44min great ball from Brendan Mc Laughlin on the left  found Michael Coyle and he headed over from Paddy Harkin from 12 yards,

Culdaff dominated the early stages of the second half with Brendan Mc Laughlin on the left wing and Darragh Mularkey on the right putting Clonmany under constant pressure forcing 8 corners but poor finishing and brilliant goalkeeping from Paddy Harkin kept Clonmany in the game and on 67min Jason Doherty was brought down in the box and up steped keeper Harkin to side foot past Mc Laughlin from the penalty spot, again Culdaff wasted good opertunities a half volley from Mc Laughlin just skimmed the crossbar and Clonmany’s Andy Doherty  headed off the line when Coyle looped a header over Harkin in the home goal, Clonmany broke on the 86min and a ball int the Culdaff box was headed up in the air by Oisin Hessian it fell kindly to him again and he stabbed the ball home from 6 yards to make the final score 3-1

Quigley’s Point Swifts 1-4 Aileach


Aileach continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 4-1 victory over Quigley’s Point Swifts in Muff.

Both sides started fast, and after six minutes Aileach had the ball in the net but the goal was ruled offside. On ten minutes the hosts went in front. Connor Barrow collected the ball on the right after good pressure in the Aileach half, and his whipped cross to the back post found midfielder Brian McColgan who smashed the ball high into the net.

Their lead was short however, and Aileach took control with two quick-fire goals from set-pieces. On fifteen minutes, a free-kick from the right flank caused a scramble in the Point penalty area before the ball fell to an unmarked Caoimhan McFeely to sweep home from eight yards. Two minutes later, Dermot Doherty’s inswinging corner was met by Cathal McElhinney who made no mistake with a powerful header past keeper Oisin Burke.

The visitors began to find spaces in the home defence and Ronan Coyle should have extended the lead on twenty minutes but somehow missed the target from six yards after a low cross from Tommy McMacken. At the other end Josh Boyle forced a good save from Peter Devlin after the Point midfielder broke through the Aileach defence with a strong run. McFeely had an opportunity to grab his second goal on thirty-three minutes when played through by Darren McMonagle but his weak shot was easily held by Burke.

The second half continued as the first ended, with the visitors retaining possession and forcing Quigley’s Point to work hard. Paddy McGroddy’s free-kick was palmed wide by Devlin but the home side struggled to create chances. Gavin Doherty went close for Aileach on fifty-seven minutes after creating space in the box but his shot on the turn deflected just wide. A minute later the visitors extended the lead. Gareth McGlynn picked up the ball on the right edge of the area, and his low shot took a deflection which wrong-footed Burke and crept into the net.

The goal effectively killed the tempo of the game, with the home side battling hard but failing to break through the away defence. Aileach continued to control the game in midfield, content to keep the ball. There were no chances until two minutes from the end, when the visitors completed the scoring. Tommy McMacken capitalized on a defensive mix-up and was allowed to run unmarked into the penalty area before driving the ball into the bottom-left corner.

The result sees the Burnfoot side, who are the only unbeaten team in the division, move to the top of the Premier League standings. The Swifts are without a point in four games and find themselves bottom, with the potential of a relegation battle looming.

Greencastle FC      1

Carn FC                 0


The home team opened brightly and created a number of early chances. Michael Barr had the first chance when he accepted a delivery from Nigel Mc Monagle and forced Kyle Dougal to make a save. A Gill corner was then headed clear by Michael O’ Donnell before a Barr shot was blocked. The pressure continued with Michael Henry attempting to release Mc Monagle but he had strayed offside. Then Sean Mc Kinney played in James Henry but his shot was palmed away by Dougal with the Mc Monagle follow-up going for a corner which was again dealt with by Dougal. Greencastle came closer still when Stephen Grant cut inside but he was out of luck when his 25 yard shot smacked off the crossbar. The home side scored what turned out to be the only goal of the game on 15 minutes. Good approach play involving Mark Henry and Barr on the left ended with the latter pulling the ball back from the byeline for Mc Monagle to drive low to the net from 8 yards. The visitors managed a few half chances of their own in the first half – a Ronan Newman free was headed clear, Brandon Browne had two efforts saved by Dylan Doherty and Conor O’ Donnell had a shot blocked. Their best chance fell to Aaron Mc Carron who headed over when well placed. Greencastle dominance continued after the interval with Matthew Henry forcing a save and dragging a shot wide in the opening minutes. At the other end Grant cleared a Newman free following a foul on sub Bradley. Gill then had a free come back of the Carn wall.  In further chances Bradley’s attempted chip from 25 yards was gathered by Doherty while Barr’s 30 yard lob was just wide

Strand Hotel First Division

Redcastle 7-1 Gleneely Colts

Redcastle started the brightest and had early shots on target from Brendan Murphy,  Cathir Mclaughlin and Jack McConnellogue, but Adrian Duffy in the away goal dealt with the early pressure. Duffy  was alert again, to deny the home side as the half progressed, tipping an effort from Odie McColgan over the bar. Redcastle pressure eventually told and they went ahead when James Curran got on the end of an Evan Canning cross to guide the ball home at the back post. They were then awarded a penalty for a hand ball, which Jack McConnellogue converted to make it 2-0. Gleneely got a goal back early in the second half when Nathan Mclaughlin’s cross was diverted into the net by a Redcastle defender. Murphy restored the home sides two goal advantage soon after when he controlled inside the area and placed the ball beyond Duffy to the net. Substitute Aaron Nash then made it 4-1, lobbing Duffy when the ball broke for him on the edge of the area.  It was 5-1 soon after when Canning’s cross was headed into Sean Currans path by Nash and he drilled home from 16 yards. Nash was prominent again on 78 minutes,  crossing for Gavin Grant to make it 6-1. Denim Mclaughlin completed the scoring when he rounded Duffy to make it 7-1.

Sea Rovers 1-0 Clonmany Res

On 15 min Keelan Doherty headed over a William Logan corner for the home side, then on 25 min Gary Doherty beat two men on the edge of the area and his well struck shot was blocked by Fergal Bradley in the Clonmany goal the rebound fell to Mathew Harley but Bradley recovered to deny him, Clonmany’s first opportunity came on 30 min when John Porter shot was saved by Graham Morgan in the home goal, Sea Rovers took the lead on 44 min when Keelan Dohherty got on the end of Tirane Stevens cross to slot home,  Clonmany came more into the game in the 2nd half and Niall Mc Laughlin shot narrowly wide then a few min later was unluck when his shot brough a fine save from Morgan Rovers finished strongly  and Doherty missed a great opportunity to make it 2-0 late on

Moville 5-1 Dunree

In the opening minutes the visitors had a couple of attempts from Liam Baldrick, the first a long range effort which home keeper Ryan Coyle palmed away with his second being a header from the follow up. Dunree keeper Roger Gilloway did well to block Michael McNaught with his legs in the 10th minute when the striker was put in the clear. McNaught made amends in the 14th minute when he raced from the halfway line to slot under Gilloway to give Moville the lead. A Gilloway double save from Gill and Harkin kept Dunree in the match when they equalised at the other end after Coyle palmed away James O’Donnell’s shot only for a Moville defender to turn the ball into his own net from Evan Barry’s follow up shot. The home side went ahead in the 38th minute from Tony Boyce’s angled drive after Emmet McCauley and Charlie Gill combined well to set him up. Gilloway had another double save from McNaught and Gill only for Gill to blast over when well placed seconds later. After McNaught missed Kyle Harkin’s low cross in the dying minutes of the first half Boyce had his efforts well saved by Gilloway only for a defender to handle his 3rd attempt on the line resulting in a red card and a penalty which Charlie Gill dispatched making the half time score 3-1. The second half began with Gilloway denying McNaught and a Kyle Harkin thunderbolt rattling the Dunree crossbar. Thomas Doherty for the visitors had his header off target only for Moville to take a 4-1 lead when Boyce and substitute Matthew McLaughlin combined to see Boyce rifle a shot into the top corner from the edge of the area. Norbert Indyka was then denied by Gilloway’s one handed save while at the other end Nathan Harkin cleared off the line from Philip McGuinness’ header. The visitors tried again with Thomas Doherty’s long range shot but Moville got a fifth when Boyce blasted over the keeper from the corner of the box in the 83rd minute. Coyle kept Dunree at bay in final moments with a fine double save from McGuinness and William Doherty.

Rasheney FC                 3

Buncrana Res               4


This was a high scoring game where the visitors recovered from a three goal deficit to fight back and claim the points. In an entertaining encounter Rasheney dominated the first half. On 10 minutes John Grant brought a good save from ….A minute later a corner from Michael Toland fell to the feet of David Mc Laughlin and his deflected effort deceived the keeper. Although Pat Loughrey was troubling the home defence with his runs on the left wing it was Rasheney who got the next score on 16 minutes when Toland laid the ball back to Mc Laughlin whose powerful right footed effort arrowed into the top corner. And they made it 3 – 0 when a Mc Laughlin through ball was netted by Charlie Doherty after he calmly rounded the keeper. James Quigley for Buncrana shot narrowly wide on 37 minutes while Declan Mc Laughlin and Charlie Doherty had further chances for the home side. In added time at the end of the half a Christopher Mc Kinley delivery across the face of goal was finished to the net by Loughrey while right on the whistle a Mc Kinley attempt hit the crossbar. After the interval Buncrana pushed forward and dominated the second half. On 65 minutes Paul Mc Daid drove wide but two minutes later the visitors got their second when Loughrey accepted a ball forward from Adair and found the net. Loughrey continued to be involved in much of the action and his cross was converted by Stephen Mc Hugh on 70 minutes to get his team back on level terms. With 10 minutes to go a rasping Mc Hugh half volley from inside the box drew a wonder save from Rasheney keeper Shaun Friel and the scores remained level. On 88 minutes Buncrana grabbed the winner when a Mc Hugh cross enabled Loughrey to complete his hat trick.


Aileach Res                       3

Cockhill Youth                 4


The visitors opened the scoring early in the game when Michael Owen Doherty finished from close range after the home defence failed to clear. However, Aileach got back on level terms soon afterwards when a Ruairi Bradley forward run set up Stephen Doherty and he found the net. The frantic start continued and Cockhill moved back in front on 11 minutes through Doherty who toepoked home his second of the game in a crowded goalmouth. Keith Mc Colgan levelled things up on the half hour mark when he volleyed home from 15 yards after he connected with a Bradley delivery. Aileach could then have moved in front but a great save from Gary Robinson denied Stephen Doherty in a one-on-one situation. Just prior to the interval Michael Owen Doherty Pictured Right) secured a hat trick when his well placed shot beat Charlie Carlin. Three minutes into the second half and things were levelled up again. A superb through ball from Kevin Wallace released Jordan Mc Geady and after springing the offside trap he fired in a right foot shot from 18 yards – giving Robinson no chance. But Robinson came to the rescue later when he brought off an excellent save from Mc Geady’s curling shot. The winner arrived on 83 minutes when Jack Mc Daid controlled an over the top ball and slotted home from 6 yards while Robinson denied Ciaran Mc Grory late on as the home side battled for an equaliser.

Donegal Signs Reserve Shield

Culdaff Res 4-3 Moville Res

Moville took the lead on 10 min when Conor lafferty squared for Dylan Mc Colgan to slot low past Daniel Mularkey, Culdaff equalised on 19 min when a Thomas O’ Brien throw in found Jack O’ Brien who finished from a tight angle, Moville regained the lead on 25 min when Graham Doherty whipped in a free for Colm Gillen to slot home at the back post, Culdaff levelled again on 30 min when Daniel Mularkey’s long ball found Cathal Mc Grenaghan his first effort was blocked by Moville keeper Pauric Carey but Mc Grenaghan slotted home the rebound, Moville regained the lead once again on 38 min Conor Lafferty cross was met by D. Doherty to head home from close range Culdaff got on level terms again on 47 min when Mathew Mularkey whipped in a cross for Jack O’ Brien to make it 3-3, Moville had a good chance on 60 min Adam Harkin found P.J. Barr but from 6 yards out he blazed over the bar, on 65 min Culdaff took the lead for the first time when Mathew Mularkey broke on the left and crossed for Jjack O’ Brien (Pictured on the Left) to complete his hat trick byslotting the ball underneath the keeper, Paul Mills then had a one on one with Moville keeper Carey who made a fine save then in added time Niall Mc Laughliin found himself one on one with the keeper his attempted chip cleared the crossbar and the car park behind the goals

Aileach Youths 2-4 Glenngad Res

Glengad exacted revenge for an earlier league defeat with a deserved victory over Aileach Youths at Lakeside.  Glengad took the lead after 15 minutes when a long ball over the top found Gary Kelly who controlled and rifled into the top of the net past Ryan Fox in the home goal from 15 yards.  Somewhat against the run of play Aileach drew level on the half hour when a Shane McMonagle corner from the right was met by Pól McGrory who headed in from six yards.  Aileach took the lead five minutes later when another McMonagle corner was half cleared to Daibidh Grant who played the ball wide to Paul McCrudden and his cross found McMonagle and he volleyed home from 10 yards.  Aileach pressed the self destruct button again before half time when they mis-controlled in the middle of the field where Brian Doherty carried the ball forward and played in Kelly who made no mistake for his second of the game.  Glengad could have taken the lead on the half time whistle when PJ McDaid was upended in the box.  Kelly took the penalty to complete the hat trick but Fox dived low to his right to palm the penalty round the post.  The pattern of the second half followed the first with Glengad the more dominant team but Aileach and in particular Paddy Curran dangerous on the counter.  On the hour, Glengad took the lead when Christy McLaughlin rose highest from a Aidan Bambrick cross to power a header into the corner.  Glengad almost made it safe when a Kelly shot was brilliantly tipped round the post by Fox and he then denied McLaughlin another when he tipped his long range drive onto the bar.  With 15 minutes remaining Glengad scored again when McDaid disposed an Aileach defender before slipping Kelly through to complete his hat-trick.  Aileach pressed to get back into the game and almost got a consolation when Patrick Curran’s cross found Benny Hegarty whose header from 10 yards was tipped over the bar by Ronan Lafferty.

Dunree Res                           0

Carrowmena FC                 2


After a quiet first half Simon Taylor had an opportunity to put the home side ahead but missed from close range. Mid way through the second half Carrowmena moved in front when Samuel Bredin headed in past Roger Mc Gilloway following a cross in from the right. James Mc Dermott doubled the visitors’ lead on 75 minutes when he advanced through the home defence and drove low past Mc Gilloway. Dunree pressed in the final 10 minutes but failed to create any clearcut chances – allowing Carrowmena to advance to the semi-finals.