Match Reports Sunday 7th January

Inishowen Football League Reports  7th January 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Greencastle FC 4

Illies Celtic 1

Greencastle started well with efforts from James henry and Nathan Harkin off target while Seamy Mclaughlin was denied by a last ditch tackle inside the area.

Illies responded and a dangerous Shaun McCallion cross was cleared by Michael Barr before Liam Doherty saw a twenty five yards effort saved by William O Carroll. The home side opened the scoring in the 25th minute after a corner fell to Kyle Harkin whose effort as headed clear by  Paul Doherty as far as Nathan Harkin who fired a stunning effort to the top corner despite Johnathan Noone getting finger tips to the ball.Noone then smothered well at the feet of Nigel McMonagle who then had an effort wide after a through ball from James Henry. Illies again rallied and McCallion fired two efforts over the bar before they equalised from the penalty spot when Liam Doherty converted low to the keepers left after he had been fouled. But on the stroke of half time the home side regained the lead from an inswinging Nathan Harkin corner when Shaun Doherty rose highest to head home. In injury time Harkin then turned inside the area but curled his effort from twelve yards just the wrong side of the post. Illies were first to show on the restart and McCallion flashed a ball across goal which just eluded Liam Doherty. Greencastle replied and Noone had to be alert to deny Harkin and McMonagle in succession. A booming Noone kick out then released McCallion but he was denied by  O’Carroll. The home side increased their lead after a superb Gavin Harkin pass released McMonagle who controlled superbly and hammered past Noone.Illies kept pressing and Liam Doherty was denied by a wonder save from O’Carroll before McCallion had an effort cleared off the line by Paul Clifford. Greencastle sealed the points with a goal in the 87th minute after  Harkins pinpoint ball over the top into the path of Michael Henry who gave Noone no chance with a superb half volley.


Clonmany Shamrocks 0

Cockhill Celtic 2

Clonmany started this game well and after Matthew McLaughlin fed Conor Doherty he steadied himself before unleashing an effort which Harry Doherty turned round the post at full stretch.  Cockhill replied and they had an effort from Jack Mullan turned away by Liam McGonigle in the home goal. Midway through the half the home side had another chance after a Conor Doherty free found Paddy Doherty who headed back across goal but the visitors defence hacked the ball to safety. Minutes later Cockhill opened the scoring when Lee Mclaughlin advanced on the right and squared for Adam Duffy whose effort was blocked and fell for Luke Rudden to hammer the ball home. From a Lee McColgan corner Odhran O Brien-Daly glanced a header just past the far post  before Rudden beat the offside trap on the stroke of half time but McGonigle advanced  to make a good block.

 Cockhill substitute Adam McLaughlin had the first  effort of the second half firing just over the bar. Clonmany responded with an Aaron Porter corner which was met by a glancing Jamie Coyle header which Harry Doherty reacted to push away. Midway through the half Cockhill struck for the crucial second goal after a Lee McColgan deep free kick from the bye line was headed home by lee Mclaughlin at the back post. Substitute Garbhan Friel had an effort deflected behind by McGonigle and from the corner Peter Doherty blazed over from twelve yards. Clonmany tried hard to the end and a mazy Shane McCaul run saw him crowded out  at the crucial point before Jason Devlin had an effort go narrowly wide.


Carn FC 1

Buncrana Hearts 3

The visitors got off to the best possible start in the 10th minute when a Shaunie Bradley effort came back off the post and in the ensuing scramble the ball came off a home defender and into the net. Midway through the half the home side got back on terms with  a superb Cian Burke header past Eoghan O Doherty from a Cian Doherty corner.  But the Hearts regained the lead on the half hour mark after Kieran McDaid s quickly taken free caught the home defence off guard and Kevin O’Loughlin sidefooted past Daniel McDaid. Ten minutes into the second half Buncrana increased their advantage  when Sean McDermott  fired a superb free kick from the edge of the area to the top corner. Carn rallied after this and Kyran Cantwell had a header tipped over the bar before Burke saw another shot clip the outside of the post. The visitors were reduced to ten men when Bradley was red carded in the 74th minute but despite numerical disadvantage Buncrana saw out the remainder of the game to claim the points.

Carndonagh F.C.

Buncrana Hearts


Moville Celtic 2

Aileach FC 4

In an entertaining game there was little between the teams in the opening twenty minutes. Aileach then had the first opportunity when Niall McGlynns s free was headed across by Thomas McMonagle  but Darren Bradley headed wide from point blank range. Bradley then broke clear on the left hand side but  his effort was off target. Moville responded with a Conor Radcliffe free from distance just past Dylan Porters left hand post. Aileach made the break through before half time when after a good move Bradley found McMonagle who fired low past Evan Hudner in the home goal. But three minutes into the second half the home side equalised after Norbert Indyka fed Michael McCarron who slipped the ball low past by the advancing Porter. Radcliffe had another free saved by Porter before a Ryan McColgan effort was also saved. Aileach regained the lead on the hour mark with a superb twenty yards strike from Reece McGilloway low into the corner. After this Bradley was out of luck to see his lob come back off the far post.On 72 minuets Aileach made it three one when a McGilloway effort came back off the post but he was first to the rebound to slot home.  Moville got back into the contest in the 83rd minutes when they were awarded a penalty after a handball in the area and McColgan smashed it to the top corner. But Gavin Doherty sealed the points for the visitors when he pounced on a defensive error to drill home from twelve yards.


Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup

Aileach Res 3

QPS  Youths 2

The home side took the lead in the 8th minute when Josh Boyle released Caoimhin Lavery who fired to the roof of the net past Stephen Slattery from the edge of the area. Midway through the half the  home side had another opportunity when Shay Cuffe crossed to Stephen Doherty but Slattery was equal to his effort. At the other end a scramble in the home penalty area saw Ryan Long clear the ball off the line to Dean Hegarty who blazed over. On the stroke of half time Slattery was again called into action tipping a Lavery effort round the post. Aileach had the first chance of the second half also but Cuffe fired straight at Slattery  from twelve yards. The visitors then stunned the home side when Sam McCorkell won possession and fed Hegarty who calmly slid the ball past the advancing David McGeady to level the game.Aileach then hit the visitors with a two goal burst in two minutes . On 73 minutes James Wallace threaded a ball through for Anthony Doherty who finished high past Slatterty at the near post. Then Doherty turned provider sending Emmet McCarron clear to drill past Slattery. The visitors got back into the game on 81 minutes when a Finn O Dowd cross was headed home by Stephen Frame. But Aileach had the final chance after Anthony Doherty broke clear  but dragged his effort wide.


Rashenny Rovers 0

Carn Res 5

As expected the first division side were much too strong for the home side and dominated from the outset.The first opportunity arrived on 13 minutes after Shay Fallon beat four defenders in a mazy run and laid the ball off for Tiernan Doherty whose effort was superbly tipped over by Roger McGilloway. Mark Scott then failed to hit the target when in the clear before Dayton Cooke saw another effort saved. Carn broke the deadlock on 33 minutes after indecision between a defender and McGilloway allowed Fallon to nip in and slot home from close range. Fallon then had an effort brilliantly deflected over the bar by Brian Devlin before the visitors added a second on 41 minutes. Callum Kelly broke on the left and when his cross was parried the ball fell to Scott to slam home from six yards.Cooke had the final chance but fired wide from a good position. It was a similar  pattern in the second half with Scott denied by a good save from McGilloway before a dipping effort from substitute Cormac McLaughlin just cleared the bar. Midway through the half the visitors added a third from a  Conan Gibbons corner with Matthew Smith heading home. Rashennys only effort on target came with an Oisin Doherty effort which was saved by Kyle Harkin. McLaughlin then added two late goals to complete the scoring the first after  an effort weas saved by McGilloway before the follow up came off the post for McLaughlin while the final goal was  a close range finish after the Rovers defence failed to clear.


Rashenny RES 0

Cockhill Colts 3

After an even opening the Colts broke the deadlock in the 15th minute after a Joe Doherty free was parried by Fergal Diver  and when Marty Bradley collected the ball and crossed it back in it came off an unfortunate  defender and into he net. The remainder of the half was  a close hard fought affair with defences on top and neither keeper troubled.Cockhill got off to a good start when they increased their lead six minutes into the second half.Marty Breslin advanced and  crossed to Doherty whose effort was palmed away but the loose ball was neatly finished by Paul McKinney. Rashenny responded and from successive corners Liam Grant had headers saved by Graham Doherty. Cockhill then sealed the tie when  after beating two defenders Joe Doherty was upended in the area and he picked himself up to cooly convert the spot kick.


Redcastle Res 3

Cockhill Res 4

Cockhill  went ahead after five minutes  when a cross from  Ethan  OToole was hammered into the net by Shane Gallagher from ten yards. Redcastles first chance came after 20 minutes when a snapshot from Keelan Henry was brilliantly turned around the post by Lee McCarron in the Cockhill net.  Redcastle got back on terms on the half hour  when Gary Kelly’s free kick from 30 yards found the top corner. Five minutes later  a free kick from Ethan OToole was saved by Oisin Quigley in the Redcastle net. Redcastle  then went ahead after 40 minutes when a bad backpass from a Cockhill defender was pounced on by Darren Harkin who went round the keeper and scored from six  yards. Cockhill started the second half well and were level after 50 minutes when a corner from Joe Lavery was volleyed into the net by Shane Gallagher from ten yards. Cockhill went ahead then  from a penalty given when Niall Breslin was brought down and Cian  Downey converting the penalty. After 75 minutes Cockhill got another penalty for handball and this time Shaun Bradley making no mistakes scoring low into the corner. Redcastle kept trying and were back in the game after 80 minutes when a cross from Keelan Henry was hammered into the net by Darren Harkin from fifteen yards but there were no other chances and Cockhill advance.


Glengad Res 2

Gleneely Colts 3

Gleneely started well and their first chance came on 21 minutes when Emmet O Brien pulled the ball back into the path of Billy McCann whose goal bound effort was cleared off the line by Lee Kelly. Tristan McCoilgan then crossed for Matthew Doherty but he headed wide when well placed. They broke the deadlock in the 35th minute after Doherty advanced on the left and cut inside before evading a tackle and firing high past Michael McLaughlin from twelve yards. Glengad first chance came minutes after the break from a Paul McGonigle corner when Jason Dohertys header was punched away by Adrian Duffy to PJ McDaid whose follow up header crashed off the bar.On the hour mark the visitors added a second goal when McColgan dispossessed a defender and squared for McCann to slot home. McColgan then pounded on a poor clearance to release Shane Diver and he finished well from twelve yards to leave the Colts in control. But Glengad to their credit battled back and reduced the deficit when Niall McColgan fed Caolan McColgan who cut in and from a tight angle fired high to the roof of the  net.  On 75 minutes the were right back in the game after a John G McDermott Crossfield pass found  McDaid who laid the ball into the path of Patrick McDermott to slam the ball home. McDermott was then unlucky when he saw another shot crash back off the post with Duffy powerless. Gleneely were dangerous on the break and when Paul Doherty broke clear he  was denied by a good stop from Mclaughlin. Glengad pushed hard in the closing stages but the visitors defence stood firm to advance.


Dunree Res 0

Culdaff FC 6

As expected first division Culdaff proved too strong for the home side. But the  division two side had the first chance when Daniel Downey unleashed an effort which Mark Smith gathered comfortably. Culdaff gradually gained control with Jack O Brien firing wide of the post before they broke the deadlock in the 15th minute after Brendan Mclaughlin unleashed a twenty yards effort low into the bottom corner. Dunree tried to reply and Bryce Fullerton and Patrick Doherty were both off target with efforts.  Culdaff responded before the break and made it two nil with a tidy finish from Keith Norris. On the restart the visitors upped the tempo and jack O Brien added a third with a sweet strike before the same player converted McLaughlins cross to add the fourth goal. Norris then got his second of the game to make it five nil before O’Brien completed his hat trick after a free kick broke off the wall into his path to slot home.


Aileach Youths 0

Cockhill Youths 7

Cockhill dominated an understrength Aileach team throughout and took an early lead when Conor Allen was allowed to advance from the left wing cut inside and fire into the bottom corner past Dylan Clarke in the home goal.  They doubled their lead on 10 minutes when an unchallenged Ryan McDaid headed home from a corner from the left.  Aileach grew a little into the game after this but their passing was very disjointed with the Cockhill midfield forcing them into errors.  Cockhill added a third on 30 minutes when a long ball was misjudged by an Aileach defender allowing Conor McDaid to slot into the corner.  Cockhill added a fourth on the stroke of half time after a Dylan McDaid cross from the left was missed by an Aileach defender at the near post allowing Liam Bradley the simple task of tapping home at the back post. Aileach did briefly threaten with an Aaron Doherty shot from long range forcing a comfortable save from Darragh O’Donnell in the Cockhill goal.

The second half started in the same vein as the first with Cockhill dominating the proceedings but the Aileach defence were a slightly harder nut to crack.  Cockhill did add to their tally on the hour when Bradley cut inside, beat two defenders and fired into the far corner. With 15 minutes to go, substitute Danny McDaid played a ball through to an offside Cockhill player and while the Aileach defence appealed for offside McDaid ran on himself and lifted the ball over Clarke with a neat finish.  The same man wrapped up the scoring when he shot from 25 yards into the top corner to complete the scoring.


Greencastle Youths 1

Sea Rovers 2

Rovers provided one of the shocks of the round when they defeated first division Greencastle  Youths  at Chapel Lane. In sunny Conditions at Chapel Lane it was the visitors who got off to a good start scoring in the first five minutes. Sea Rovers capitalized on complacency in the Home defence winning it in the box and Conor McCluskey tapping in from close range.Sea Rovers stayed on top and went two nil up when they scored from a free kick. Joey Holland rifled it in from 20 yards over the keepers head.Minutes later they nearly went three up only for a great clearance of the line by Benny McClenaghan. On the stroke of half time Greencastle almost got back into it when a great delivery from Cian Sharkey was met by Benny McClenaghan but his header zipped over.

Greencastle got back into the game on the hour mark after great  play down the wing from Shea Doherty got him to the end line and his cross found Jamie Coyle at the back post who buried it in the roof of the net.

Greencastle started to control the game but Sea Rovers held well with some great defending in a game where tackles were starting to fly in.

Greencastle seen out the game controlling the ball without much success as Sea Rovers dug in and were even the more dangerous from their long balls and counter attacks and got a deserved win.

Greencastle Youths

Sea Rovers


Illies Res 2

The home side got off to a dream start in the opening minute with Seamus McFadden racing onto a ball over the top and lobbing the advancing Conor Doherty. They added a second on 15 minutes from a McFadden corner with marc Wallace converting from close range. It seemed to be plain sailing for the home side when  Oisin Hillen added a third on the stroke of half time with a clinical finish.  But Illies rallied after the break and got a goal back on 55 minutes when Shane Devlin fired past Conor O’Neill  in the home goal. Midway through the half  they got another goal when Devlin converted a penalty after he had been fouled in the area to leave it three two. With Illies pressing  the point caught them in the 77th minute when McFadden broke and crossed for Hillen to head home and seal the tie.


Rashenny FC 5

Carrowmena  FC 1

Rashenny as expected dominated against an understrength visiting side at Trawbreaga Park. David Mclaughlin had an early long range effort well saved by Michael Noone before John Mclaughlin poked wide from six yards in a crowded area. They broke the deadlock in the 25th minute after an Abdul Al Rasheed cross was headed home by Anthony Doherty.  David Mclaughlin then pulled the ball back for Cormac Dillon but Noone blocked well before Damien Friel fired wide with a free kick. On the stroke of half time the home side increased their advantage with David McLaughlin turning sharply inside a crowded area and firing to the roof of the net.Rashenny started well  in the second half also and when Dillon intercepted a back pass he was unlucky to see his effort come off the post and into Noone arms. On the hour the home side added a third goal with McLaughlin heading home a Ryan Doherty cross for his second of the game. Mclaughlin then completed his hat trick minutes later cutting in from the left and firing a low shot across Noone to the far corner. Carrowmena battled well and Aaron price had a header saved by Sean Friel before they got a consolation when Cathal Crumlish converted from the penalty spot. But David Mclaughlin had the final say to claim his fourth of the game when his effort took a deflection on its way past Noone.