Match Reports Sunday 6th November

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 6th November   

FAI Junior Cup  

Glengad United 5

Cappry Rovers 1

Glengad got off to a dream start in the second minute when John G McDermott sent Terence Doherty clear to round keeper Kyle Ruttery and slot home.

On 11 minutes it was two nil when the visitors defence misjudged a Stephen McLaughlin corner and the ball fell for Fergal Doherty to slot home.It got better for the home side midway through the half after good interplay between McLaughlin and Doherty ended with  McLaughlin slotting home from Dohertys cross. Cappry came more into the game and after a Dermot Doherty corner found Dean O Donnell his first time effort crashed off the bar. They got a goal back before the break with good play between O Donnell and Doherty ending with the latter crossing for O Donnell to round  Ciaran Gallagher and slot home. But as in the first half the home side got off to a flier  and increased their lead on 47 minutes when Seamus Doherty broke on the left and slipped the ball through for Terence Doherty to fire low to the corner from the edge of the area. Cappry tried to get back into the game with Sean McMenamin s long range effort tipped over by Ciaran Gallagher who also gathered Conor Dohertys header from the corner. The home side sealed the win on 88 minutes after McDermott and McLaughlin combined well  for the latters cross to be swept home from six yards by Joe Doherty.

Aileach FC 1

Buncrana Hearts 1 Buncrana win 5.4 on pens

This game started very cagily with a lot of play condensed in the middle third and neither keeper overly troubled. The home side took the lead on 15 minutes when Gareth McGlynn cut inside and his ball into the box was blocked by the hand of a Buncrana defender. McGlynn stepped up and converted the resulting penalty low passed Rory Kelly’s left hand. On the half hour Buncrana had a great opportunity to equalise  when John Timlin cut inside and found Sean Mullan 8 yards out but Matthew Gallagher in the home goal did superbly to block his effort. Buncrana were on top at this stage and were unlucky not to force an equaliser on 35 minutes when Matthew Browne got along the by line and pulled the ball back for Sean Mullan whose 12 yard strike cannoned off the crossbar. On the stroke of half time Buncrana did get an equaliser when Sean Mullan was fouled in the box and he himself converted the penalty high past Gallagher. The second half began with Buncrana still forcing the issue and Mark McElhinney, Thomas Mc Monagle and Shane Mc Monagle were put to the pin of their collar to keep the visitors at bay. Mid way through the half, Aileach began to get a foot hold and on 70 minutes Gavin Doherty released Darren Mc Monagle down the right and Rory Kelly did well to smother his goal bound effort. It was no surprise when the game eventually went to extra time and Buncrana were first to threaten when Calvin Gallagher tested Gallagher in the home goal with a 20 yard effort which the keeper did well to push around the post for a corner. In the second half of extra time Aileach forced a series of corners which Buncrana did well to repel. The game eventually went to penalties where Buncrana prevailed by five  goals to four. 


Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Illies Celtic 1

Moville Celtic 2

Moville threatened first after a Jake Morrow cross was headed over the bar by Aaron McGurk. Illies replied and Liam Doherty squared the ball inside the area for Sean McCallion whose effort was well saved by Taylor Clarke in the Moville goal. The visitors opened the scoring after the home side lost possession allowing Morrow to cross for Michael McNaught to slot home. They almost added a second on the stroke of half time after McGurk charged down an attempted clearance and squared for McNaught but he fired into the side netting. After an even opening to the second period the visitors increased their lead on 55 minutes when McGurk laid the ball off inside the area for McNaught to drill low past Johnny Noone. Illies rallied and spurned a chance  when Liam Doherty crossed for bother Paul but he fired straight at Clarke. They did reduce the deficit when McCallion turned smartly inside the area and fired high past Clarke from twelve yards. The home side almost snatched a point in the final minute from a Paul Doherty corner which David Dohertys header clipped the bar on the way over.

Clonmany Shamrocks 2

Culdaff FC 1

In an entertaining game Clonmany ad the first chance after a Jason Devlin effort was well saved by the legs of Zach Conlon. Culdaff responded with a Ben Curley effort from distance tipped over the bar. A long ball from  Fergal Harkin over the Culdaff defence found Devlin who finished superbly past Conlon to put the shamrocks one up on 9 minutes. Devlin then went close again when he fired in an effort which crashed off the post. Gradually the visitors grew into the game and a Keith Norris cross was just missed by Aiden Cunningham before Dillon Ruddy had a free kick blocked by the wall. Ben Curley then got in behind the home defence and his low cross just evaded the inrushing Bryan McCandless. Clonmany then had  an opening after Jake Harkin won a tackle and advanced into the area but his effort lacked power to trouble Conlon. Culdaff then equalised on the stroke of half time after good work on the left between Curley and Cunningham saw Curley advance into the area and curl a superb effort beyond Gavin McLaughlin. As in the first half Clonmany hit the ground running with Shane McCaul miscontrolling when well placed allowing Conlon to gather. They regained the lead on the hour mark after McCaul s low cross was slotted home at the back post by Devlin. Then after a good move Devlin headed the ball into the path of McCaul but he blazed over. Culdaff then came more into the game with substitute Patrick Mclaughlin heading narrowly wide, another substitute Michael  Coyle shooting wide and Curely denied by a save from Gavin Mclaughlin. At the other end Devlin was denied a hat trick when he raced through but blazed over the bar.

Strand Hotel First  Division   

Dunree United 6

Greencastle Youths   3

Greencastle started this game on the front foot but failed to create any clear chances and it was the home side who broke the deadlock on 17 minutes after Conor Barret robbed a defender and finished well to the bottom corner. Five minutes later Liam Baldrick intercepted a  defensive pass and fed Bernie Doherty  to finish clinically from twelve yards. At the other end home keeper Adam Harrigan produced a stunning save to  deny Kyle Harkin from a free kick. Dunree responded and made it three nil when Mark Moran split the visitors defence for Doherty to slot home  at the second attempt after Evan davenport had blocked the first. But the home side were dealt a blow when Moran was red carded for an off the ball incident on the stroke of half time. Greencastle began the second period well and  reduced the deficit whenHarkin curled a stunning free kick to the top corner despite Harrigan getting a had to it. They  further reduced the deficit on 65 minutes after Tony McClenaghan turned smartly  on the edge of the area before  drilling low to the corner. But Doherty completed his hat trick in style when he fired a brilliant twenty five yards effort to the top corner. The home side regained the momentum at this stage with Barret and  Tommy Mulhern adding two quick goals to put them six three in front. Greencastle got a late consolation when the unmarked Josh Lafferty headed home.

Bernie Doherty with a hat trick for Dunree today

Gleneely  Colts 1

Clonmany Res  4

After an even opeing period with action at both ends  both Jake O Donnell and Liam Hirrell were denied  by Colts custodian Oran Raymond. Gleneely had their chances as well with Barry Kearney shooting over from a corner before a good one two between Say Harkin and Christy McDaid  saw the latters effort blocked by a defender. Gleneely spurned a gilt edged chance on 38 minutes  after Shay Harkin was upended in the area but McDaids spot kcik was well saved by  Clonmany keeper Dylan McEleney. Clonmany ended the half strongly with a Brian Devlin  effort cleared off the line by defender John Harkin before an effort from Hirrell was well saved.  On the restart Harkin for the home side got on the end of a Cahir O Kane cross but failed to hit the target while  O Donnell was again denied by Raymond. The deadlock was broken on 55 minutes when O Donell converted a penalty after he had been fouled. On the hour mark the colts broke forward with Kieran Conroy finding Vinny Mckenna who volleyed wide from twelve yards. Clonmany increased their lead on 63 minutes in fortuitous fashion after a corner deflected off a defender and into the net. O Donnell then was denied a third goal after his effort was brilliantly deflected on the bar by Raymond. On 71 minutes Clonmanys Liam Hirell played a long ball behind into Gleneely defence for Mark McLaughlin who rounds the advancing keeper and scores from a very tight angle before  Clonmany sealed the points with a shot from Mark McLaughlin into the bottom corner . In the final minute  Gleneely scored a consolation goal headed by John Doherty from a corner.



Aileach Res 4

In the early exchanges Sean McHugh for the visitors and Ross Nicholas both fired shots from the edge of the area  over the bar. The deadlock was broken by Aileach in the 18th minute after Anthony Dohertys free came off the wall and the same player thumped the rebound to the top corner past Lee McColgan. The home side went close minutes later after a Reece McGilloway cross was met by a downward Jack McCean header which David McGeady blocked with his outstretched leg. Aileach finished strongly with Conor McMacjen collecting a poor clearance but firing wide. Hey should have doubled their lead after Doherty capitalised on a defensive slip and squared to Christopher McDermott who with the goal at is mercy saw his effort crash off the bar. The home side had the first chance of the second half from a McGilloway cross which McClean fired over the bar.Aileach got on top then with Doherty racing onto McHughs ball over the top but Lee McColgan saved his effort. On 56 minutes Aileach increased their lead when McHughs deft flick at the near post from McDermotts corner gave McColgan no chance. They then made it three nil on 68 minutes with McGeadys long kick out ending with McDermott heading over the advancing McColgan to the net. Sean McIntrye then went close for the home side while McColgan made a smart save to deny Doherty at the other end. Aileach scored their fourth goal on 79 minutes when Doherty’s  ball over the top released found James Wallace who despatched a stunning effort to the top corner. The point kept plugging away and both Josh Boyle and McGilloway had late efforts saved by McGeady.

Carn FC 3

Buncrana Res 1

The league leaders kept their unbeaten run going with a dominant display  against a youthful Hearts side. The homeside got off to a dream start with two goals in the opening minutes. Firstly after a Kyran Cantwell effort was well parried by Oran McBride the loose ball was pounced on by Cian Burke to drill home in the opening minute. Minutes later they added a second after Cade Cooke crossed for Cantwell who scored at the second attempt after  McBride had parried his initial effort. Cooke , Cantwell and Burke all spurned good opportunites to add to their lead before the break. Buncrana started the second half better and came more into the game. They reduced the deficit on the hour mark with Michael  Doherty breaking from half way before cutting inside and firing low past Kyle Harkin. Carn upped the tempo with Burke spurning two good chances before a shot on the run from Christopher Diver was brilliantly saved by McBride. They sealed the points then when Cooke controlled on the edge of the area before hammering an unstopabble effort to the top corner.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    

Cockhill Res 9

Dunree Res 1

Cockhill raced in to a three  nil lead inside the first 20 minutes.Luke Bradley opened the scoring on 5 minutes after some slick passing down the right, Dylan McDaid teed up Luke Bradley to score with a neat finish low past Dunree keeper Philip Doherty. Roles were reversed  minutes later after another flowing move. Luke Bradley fed Dylan McDaid in behind who fired an unstoppable shot high in to the net from a tight angle.Cockhill kept the pressure on and Shane McLaughlin scored with a great first time finish at the near post from a Luke Bradley cross.Midway through the first half Caolan Moore almost got his first senior goal as the young Cockhill midfielder fired just over from the edge of the box.Dunree edged back in to the game as the half wore on, creating a few chances with Cockhill guilty of a bit of slackness. Dunree s best chance came just before half-time but Cockhill keeper Darragh O’Donnell was up to the task tipping a fine strike from Gary Breslin round the post at full stretch.

Two minutes into the second half Cockhill made it four nil  with half-time sub Sean Bradley scoring at the second attempt as his initial header bounced off the underside of the bar, he was first to the rebound to nod it home.Dunree were still proving a threat especially from set pieces and when a deep free kick was not cleared by the Cockhill defence, David Eccles nipped in to prod the breaking ball in to the empty net. A few minutes later Cockhill restored their four goal lead when Shay McLaughlin picked out Connor McDaid with a perfect pass allowing the Cockhill fullback to finish first time low past Philip Doherty in to the far corner. Shay McLaughlin turned provider again with a dangerous cross, this time it was Cockhill veteran Martin Breslin who rose highest to score with a fine glancing  header. Cockhill continued to pile on the pressure and Cockhill sub James Porter made in instant impact scoring two goals in  five minutes to stretch Cockhill’s lead with  close range finishes. The first set up by Kieran McIlroy and followed by an instinctive flick on a Kevin McDaid shot to divert it in for his second. Kevin McDaid completed the scoring with a stunning 25 yard screamer, picking the ball up outside the box from Shay McLaughlin he fired it in to the top corner. The final chance fell to James Porter who almost got his hat-trick but his goal bound effort was cleared off the line as the final whistle went.

Sea Rovers 5

Redcastle Res 0

Rovers got the early advantage when a quick run down the left and a cross in fell to the feet of Ciaran Doherty who shot home from close range . A long ball by Rovers Shay Rodgers reached Ciaran Doherty who beat the defence forcing the Redcastle keeper Aiden Lynch into making a fine save. Rovers were fairly dominant in possession at this stage and a cross in from the right by Andrew Gallagher was tapped in by Ciaran Doherty . Good play between Mathew Harley and Damien Ward in midfield found Ciaran Doherty who got his and Sea Rovers third. Good play then from Damien Ward  found Andrew Gallagher  who shot the ball low to the keepers left . A good run by Andrew Gallagher passed the ball wide to Daniel Gallagher whose cross in was tapped in by Andrew Gallagher from close range to leave the home side in total command. Redcastle played with the wind on the second half but for the first 30 minutes failed to produce any goalscoring efforts. Rovers came close when Andrew Gallagher beat the Redcastle defence but his shot went just wide of the post. The Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin was busy in the second half as shots from Gavin Grant and Oisin Sweeney were well saved by McLaughlin. Despite playing against the wind Rovers held on to keep a clean sheet in what was a challenging second half.

Illies Res 4

Glengad Res 3

Illies started well and took the lead in the 13th minute after Ronan Hegarty beat the defender and fired high past Danny McGonagle. They increased their lead when a deep Gavin Doherty cross was steered home by Oran Doherty from ten yards. Glengad rallied and reduced the deficit when after a Paul McGonagle cross was not cleared and Niall McColgan blasted past Shane Sharkey to the roof of the net. On the stroke of half time the visitors levelled when McGonagle got on the end of a Jason Doherty free to head to the roof of the net.  Glengad then stunned the home side when they took the lead two minutes after the interval with McGonagle splitting the home defence  for Ryan McGeoghaghan to finish brilliantly with a left footed effort to the top corner. It was the home sides turn to respond and they levelled on 75 minutes after Shane Devlin sent McGonagle the wrong way from the penalty spot after a handball in the area. Devlin then proved to be a match winner when he converted Hegartys cross to edge the home side ahead.  Glengad had a late chance to salvage a point but McGonagle fired over when well placed.

Culdaff Res 0

Carrowmena FC 1

Carrowmena scored early when Culdaff conceded a free kick on the half way line and Andy McLaughlin found the unmarked Finbar McCallion who nodded home past Dermot Callaghan. Culdaff came close before the half when Niall Gordon’s left footed strike was excellently saved by Micky Noone in nets. Culdaff had  majority of possession in the second half. However, Micky Noone was not to be beaten this day. Second half sub Niall McLaughlin would test Noone several times but he would not give in. The closes the home side came to an equaliser was when Peter Doherty got on the end of a corner but his effort came back off the bar.

Rasheney Res 1

Moville Res 3

Rasheney had an early chance when Gareth Mckeever fired just over from a tight angle. But the visitors took control then and spurned a gilt edged chance after Deaglan Lynch crossed for the unmarked Oisin Lynch who failed to hit the target from six yards. But he made amends a minute later when he flicked home an Andrew Burke cross past Roger McGilloway at the front post to open the scoring. Deaglan Lynch then fired just over before Oisin Lynch had two efforts on target saved by McGilloway. Against the run of play the homeside should have equalised when Diarmait Keogh dispossessed a defender on the edge of the area and laid the ball off to McKeever who fired inches wide. Moville had the final chance of the half after a Rowan Doherty dipping shot from twenty yards just cleared the bar. Moville had the first chance of the second half after a Michael McCarron free across goal eluded all. Rasheney responded and after an Eoin Fowley free fell to McKeever be headed over the bar. Moville responded and increased their lead after  Oisin Lynch  fired home from close range after a corner.Midway through the half they made it three nil when Burke  fed Oisin Lynch and he rounded McGilloway to squeeze the ball home from a tight angle and complete his hat trick. Rasheney rallied and Abdul Rasheed had an effort well saved by Kelly before McKeever converted a penalty after he had been upended for a late consolation. Movile had the final chance of the game after substitute Kyle Melly broke from half way but fired just wide.

Carn Res 3

Rasheney FC 1


QPS  Youth 1

Aileach Youth 2

Aileach began this game well and Ciaran Bradley fired over from the edge of the area before they opened the scoring on 9 minutes after Simon Wallace released Bradley to score with a composed finish past Stephen Slattery.  The home side responded and Cillian McEleney was denied by a fine save from Dylan Porter and Aaron Scott got on the end of an Oisin McIntyre knock down but fired over. Aileach then had a spell  with Slattery saving a Wallace  free kick before Benny Hegarty capitalised on hesitancy but fired wide from twelve yards. Porter then was called into action when he held McEleneys cross under pressure before blocking  Scotts close range flick from a lee Rutherford ball over the top.  It was Aileach who started the second half well and Dylan McGrory had an effort saved before Hegarty was unlucky to see an effort clip the outside of the post. The home side rallied and equalised on 57 minutes after Slatterys long kick out fell kindly for McEleney and he squeezed the ball home from a tight angle. McEleney had an effort parried by Porter before he recovered to save Josh Mclaughlins follow up and then McIntyre had a goal bound effort cleared off the line. Against the run of play the visitors regained the lead on 73 minutes when McGrorys effort was well parried by Slattery but Hegarty reacted first to fire the ball home. A minute later McGrory  had an effort clip the top of the bar. The Point tried to respond in an effort to salvage a point and a stunning Ronan Lafferty volley from the edge of the area produced a wonder save from Porter to tip the ball around the post. Their fnal chance arrived in the final minute when a deep McEleney cross was headed over by McIntyre.