Match Reports Sunday 6th February

Sunday 6th February

Knockalla Caravans Cup 

Finn Harps Res 0

Aileach FC  1 AET

In an entertaining game on Friday night Aileach advanced to the semi finals with an extra time win over a young Harps side.

Stephen Black had an early chance for Harps but he was unable to convert with a close range header. Aileach replied and Keelan Doherty was denied by Shea McBride in the Harps goal low to his right. Moments later Doherty drifted into the area but was unable to keep his effort on target. At the other end Darragh Mclaughlin had to be alert to keep out a Jack Mullan effort. Aileach started the second half well and Darren McMonagle headed wide when well placed before Paddy Slevin just failed to get on the end of an Aaron Nash centre. Aileach had a number of chances midway through the half when Dohertys piledriver crashed back off the frame of the goal before Shane McMonagle fired over and Doherty was then denied by the legs of McBride. Harps responded as extra time loomed with Ben O’Donnell scooping the ball over the bar before Jamie McKinney almost got on the end of a floated Gareth Bradley ball in behind the Aileach defence. In injury time Mark McElhinney almost sealed it but his effort was blocked by Bradley on the goal line. In extra time Shane McMonagle fired wide  while at the other end McLaughlin had to be alert to keep out a Ryan McCreevy header. In the final minute of the first half  McElhinney was on hand to poke the ball home from close range and with defences on top in the second period Aileach advance.

Charlie O Donnell Cup  Semi Finals  

Dunree United 1

Aileach RES    3

Both sides were determined to advance to the final against Clonmany Res in Maginn Parklater in the season. Aileach with the wind at their backs pinned the home side back and took the lead early on when Conor Gallagher despatched a free kick to the bottom corner past Adam Harrington. They continued on top and doubled their lead before the break when  David Campbell fired home from  inside the area. Dunree pressed the Aileach defence from the restart and got a goal back on the hour mark when a Jerry Farrell cross found Liam Baldrick to drill home from fifteen yards. They continued to press and when Jamie Brosan broke on the right his cross was met by Thomas Mulhern  but his effort was blocked and the Aileach defence cleared. Dunree   went close again after Baldrick advanced on the right and his driven cross across the face of goal saw no takers. Aileach weathered the storm and sealed their place in the final when Cathal McElhinney fired a loose ball  to the net after an initial effort had been blocked.

Clonmany Res 3

Redcastle United  2

The visitors took a shock lead in the 5th minute when after a home defender failed to clear Ronan Hoy pounced to drill low past Kevin McLaughlin from fourteen yards. But the homeside with the advantage of the wind in the first half hit back immediately when Joe Doherty crossed for Mark McLaughlin to control and fire low past Michael McCole. They took the lead when McLaughlin caught Brian Doherty s cross on the turn with  an unbelievable volley on the turn to the top corner from fifteen yards. Redcastle tried to respond and were unlucky when  Hoy cut in from the left past two defenders and unleashed an effort which crashed back off the bar. From that Clonmany broke forward with Raymond McDaid who found McLaughlin and he completed his hat trick with a stunning twenty five yards effort to the top corner. Clonmany had two late chances before the break from corners when firstly Philip Doherty headed wide and then Brian Doherty headed over from point blank range. Redcastle with the wind in the second half dominated possession but really found chances difficult to come by. They reduced the deficit to the minimum on 71 minutes when Hoy crossed from the left to substitute Gavin Grant and he fired low inside McLaughlins right hand post. They were unlucky twice in the closing stages when Brendan Murphy had one effort clip the bar on the way over  before seeing another shot crash off the bar as Clonmany advance to the final.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Moville Celtic 2

Illies Celtic 1

Illies were first to show in the opening seconds but Adrian Doherty failed to capitalise when clean through. Moville then  took the lead in the 6th minute after Connor Doherty’s cross from the right was headed backwards by an Illies defender which keeper Johnny Noone failed to keep out and ended in the back of the net. In the 16th minute McNaught for Moville intercepted an Illies clearance allowing him to release Marc Bell only to see his curling effort go narrowly wide. Moville went two up in the 21st minute after an Oisin Lynch attempt was blocked by a defender only for the ball to run kindly to Michael McNaught which he dispatched in off the base of the upright from eight yards. Moville keeper Ryan Coyle saved an Ethan Doherty header with his feet after he was set up with Liam Doherty’s cross in the 27th minute. Liam Doherty himself was denied moments later by a Lee Barr block after he latched on to a poor clearance. Adrian Doherty missed a glorious chance to pull one back for the visitors in the 34th minute, firing wide when put in the clear.In the dying moments Noone did well to save Pauric Skelly’s header from a free kick while Marc Bell’s follow up was blocked by an Illies defender.

Early in the second half the visitors got a goal  back after keeper Coyle did well to save Adrian Doherty’s shot and an Ethan Doherty follow up only for Paul Doherty to be on hand to fire home from 10 yards. Minutes later confusion reigned in the Illies area only for Lee Barr’s effort to be well blocked and McNaught blazing over  the loose ball .Both sides traded long range shots in the 80th minute with Dermot Harkin for Moville going close and Paul Doherty doing likewise for the visitors.Moville keeper Coyle kept the home side’s slender lead in the last few minutes with a fine double save, firstly from Dominic Doherty after he was sent clean through and pushing Ethan Doherty’s follow up around the post for a corner.Dominic Doherty was again denied by Coyle in a one on one situation in the dying seconds which preserved the home side’s lead to the final whistle.

Glengad United 3

Clonmany Shamrocks 0

Despite playing against the wind Glengad took the lead on 8 minutes when John McDaid released Terence Doherty on the right and he beat his man before crossing for Stephen McLaughlin to slot home past Kieran Friel.Alot of the ply until the half w hour was bogged down in midfield but when Conor Bradley reeased Jake Harkin for the visitors his effort from twenty five yards was saved by Daniel Mullarkey.  Glengad b=created another chance before the interval after James McKinney sent Conor Barrow away on the right and he crossed to McLaughlin but this time he fired weakly at Friel from the edge of the area. Clonmany had an early chance in the second half when Harkin fed Jamie  Coyle on the left and he cut in before laying the ball off to Aaron Harkin on the edge of the area but his effort shaved the post. Glengad upped the tempo and dominated then with McLaughlin and Doherty combining for the former to fire over from the edge of the area.  They increased their lead on the hour mark from a Seamus Doherty corner which fell nicely for James McKinney to drill home from eight yards.  After good build up on 85minutes Michael Byrne fed Doherty who in tune released  McKinney through the middle to drill low past Friel. Clonmany had the final chance after a Conor Doherty effort was saved by Mullarkey.

Buncrana Hearts 2

Cockhill Celtic Youths 1

Michael B McLaughlin for the home side collected a through ball  in the opening minute but fired just past Eoin Colhouns  left hand post. Cockhill were dangerous on the break and on 14 minutes Oisin O Flaherty found space inside the area but failed to hit the target from fifteen yards. The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes when a Jack McDaid cross caused all sorts of confusion and was not cleared by the home defence to allow Bobby Bradley  to fire a superb angled finish low across Rory Kelly and into the far corner. Buncrana replied and when a corner came off a Cockhill defender they were relieved to see the ball come back to safety off the crossbar. Cockhill had the final chance of the half when McDaid  saw his goalbound effort tipped onto the bar by Kelly. Buncrana again started well on the resumption and a mazy Kieran McDaid run ended with him laying the ball off to McLaughlin but as in the first half he fired just wide. They got  back on terms on 61 minutes after a Kevin Jordan cross from the left was met with a superb first time volley from substitute Bart Wesolowski which flew past Colhoun. Buncrana were on top at this stage and Ryan Doherty fired narrowly over before McDaid cut in past two defenders and unleashed an effort which Colhoun saved well. With a draw looking the likely outcome the Hearts struck for the winner in injury time.  Darragh O Connor began the move releasing substitute Aaron McDaid who cut in and  saw  his shot well parried by Colhoun but O Connor pounced to drill home and clinch the points.

Carn FC 0

Greencastle FC 4

The visitors maintained their title challenge and moved to the top of the table with this victory over the home side.  Nigel McMonagle had an early effort wide before teeing up Jack Coyle but his shot was saved by Kyle Harkin. Can replied midway through the half when Will Quinn fed Cian Burke on the right hand side of the area but he failed to hit the target when well placed. Greencastle broke the deadlock on 27 minutes when Shea McLaughlins corner found the unmarked Michael Barr to head home from ten yards. In a repeat on 40 minutes they doubled their lead with Barr again unmarked heading home from fifteen yards this  time. Greencastle increased their lead then on 56 minutes after McMonagle  beat a defender and crossed for Coyle to slot past substitute keeper Daniel McDaid. On 65 minutes they made it four nil after a Kyle Harkin inswinging corner deceived McDaid and crept over the line. Carn to their credit battled until the end and spurned a good chance when substitute Darragh Doherty laid the ball off to Burke who fired wide from ten yards. They went close again on 85 minutes after Kyran Cantwell crossed from the left to substitute Cade Cooke but his effort flashed just wide.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two A  

Cockhill Res 2

Sea Rovers 4

Sea Rovers took the lead inside the first minute when a speculative effort from long range

was  heading for the bottom corner, Cockhill keeper Donal Og O’Brien got a hand to it but 

could not keep it out.It was level 10 minutes later when Mark Gillespie scored from the

spot after Liam Bradley was fouled in the box. Sea Rovers took the lead again shortly before

half time with  a trademark 30 yard free kick from Damien Ward.Almost straight from the 

restart Cockhill  equalised, good work down the right from Sean McColgan and his low cross

found Mark Gillespie at the back post who made no mistake from six yards, finishing well 

past Sea Rovers keeper Ben Collins.Cockhill started the second half well and were on top 

for most the half but passed up some good opportunities to take the lead.However it was

 Sea Rovers who took all three  points with two late goals from Andrew Gallagher and

Ethan Doherty.

Carrowmena FC 1

Illies Res 1

Ther were little in the way of chances in the opening period with defences on top and a lot of the play in the midfield area. Illies broke the deadlock on 20 minutes after home keeper Kyle Dougals clearance was collected by David Doherty who squared for Alan Fletcher to float the ball over the stranded Dougal from twenty five yards. Fletcher was calling the home defence a lot of trouble at this stage. But before the break the home side  had a gilt edged chance .Michael Henry was upended inside the area and Ronan Doherty stepped up to drill the ball low to the left hand corner only for Graham Doherty to make a superb save diving to his right. The home side equalised on 55 minutes after Gerard McLaughlin released Jude Harkin on the right and his cross was controlled by Mark Browne who turned and fired low and hard past Doherty. Illies with the wind  pressed  with substitute Joe McLaughlin prominent but they  in truth nether goal keeper were troubled for the remainder of the game.

Inishowen Engineering  Division  Two  A

P W D L F A Pts
Carrowmena FC 14 10 2 2 58 29 32
Rasheney FC 13 9 0 4 37 19 27
Buncrana Res 11 8 0 3 35 21 24
Illies Res 13 7 3 3 24 17 24
Cockhill Res 14 6 4 4 44 24 22
Sea Rovers 13 6 3 4 33 28 21
Carn Res 13 6 2 5 45 35 20

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B   

Aileach Youths 3

Culdaff Res 2

Aileach took an early lead when Dermot Dohertys wind assisted corner flew past Dermott Callaghan in the Culdaff goal. Culdaff responded and levelled after Noel McLaughlin threaded a pass behind the home defence for Sean McGrenaghan to run onto and round Dylan Clarke to slot home. But Aileach regained the lead when Doherty was allowed to advance from midfield and fire a superb effort to the roof of the net. Again the visitors responded and after Jack O Brien was upended in the area Noel McLaughlin converted to leave it two all at the break. Culdaff started well with the advantage of the elements and McGrenaghan was narrowly off target from the edge of the area. But the home side went ahead for the third time when good work by Dylan McGrory saw him find Ethan McCool to evade tow challenges and slip the ball low past Callaghan. Culdaff pressed hard in the closing stages with O’Brien shooting just wide  before their last chance fell to Dean Doherty whose goal bound effort was brilliantly tipped onto the bar and over by Clarke.

Moville Res 3

Dunree Res 1

In a scoreless first half Movilles Conor Lafferty was denied by a splendid Philip Doherty save  while Declan Lynch had an effort blocked on the line by Conall McGrory. Dunrees best effort came after Mickey & Liam Grant combined for the latter to cross but Callum Booths effort was well saved by Stephen Teles in the home goal. Three minutes after the restart Murphy was again denied by a fine save from Doherty low to his right. The visitors then broke the deadlock when Liam Grant s superb cross was slotted past Teles from close range by Booth. Moville upped the tempo and Murphys header from a Ronan McCarron cross crashed off the bar. The home side got back on terms on 66 minutes after McCarron fed Lafferty and he drilled a superb twenty yards effort low to the corner. The game was in the balance then until Moville took the lead on 82 minutes when McCarron this time picked out Murphy to unleash a stunning effort from the edge of the area to the top corner. They sealed the points in the final minute when Teles long goal kick released Lafferty who unselfishly squared the ball for Michael McCarron to slot home.

Rasheney Res 0

Clonmany Youth 1

This local derby was dominated by the wet and windy conditions and both teams struggled to get any cohesive attacking play going. Clonmany took the lead when Mark Doherty  fired a low ball across the six yard box for the unmarked Caolan Farrell  fired past Roger McGilloway. The home side suffered a blow on 59 minutes when McGilloway sustained an injury and was replaced by Fergal Diver. The visitors had a good chance to increase their lead on 75 minutes after substitute Gerard McDaid  broke clear but Diver advanced to block and the defence completed the clearance. Rasheney had two late long range efforts both from John Grant. First he saw a shot comfortably saved by Killian McCarron before on the stroke of half time his free kick dipped just over the bar. 

Inishowen Engineering  Division  Two  B

P W D L F A Pts
Moville Res 13 6 1 6 26 29 19
Clonmany Youths 15 5 2 8 32 42 17
Aileach Youths 12 4 2 6 20 37 14
Culdaff Res 14 3 2 9 24 38 11
Dunree Res 15 3 2 10 24 55 11
Rasheney RES 14 2 1 11 5 40 7