Match Reports Sunday 5th December

Sunday 5th December 

Ulster Junior Cup  

Cavan Town  0

Glengad United 4

Glengad made the long trip worthwhile with a comprehensive and deserved victory over Cavan Town.  They made the dream start in the second minute when Stephen McLaughlin collected possession in midfield, drove past three defenders before slotting low past Brian Combes in the home goal.

Cavan responded and Paddy Sheridan fired a snapshot just wide .  Glengad  hit back then with Terence Doherty collecting a quick throw in and denied by a good save from Combes.  A deflected effort from Sheridan was superbly gathered by Daniel Mullarkey and from his quick release Terence Doherty raced clear and headed the ball over the advancing Combes to make it two nil. On the stroke of half time Stephen Harley played a fine pass into the path of Doherty and he drilled home the third. Glengad added a fourth goal from the penalty spot on the hour mark with James McKinney converting after Doherty had been upended. Glengad were content to see out the remainder of the game and advance to the next round.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Cockhill Youths 2

Carn FC 1

Cockhill Celtic Youth claimed a stoppage time winner to see off visitors Carndonagh FC by a 2-1 score line at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds . The home side bossed the early exchanges in terms of possession but failed to create any real clear-cut openings against a well organised and compact Carn FC defence lead by Conor Doherty. The visitors should have taken the lead on 16 minutes when a Conor Doherty ball out of defence released the impressive Cian Burke on the right but his shot at a tight angle just went past Cockhill keeper Eoin Colhoun’s right-hand post. Cockhill created on 26 minutes when Jack McDaid made a great run down the right and when Conor Allen delivered into the area Eoin Derry’s header went over from eight yards with keeper Kyle Harkin stranded. Cian Burke got in again on 33 minutes when he pounced on a loose back pass but with only the open goal in front of him Conor Allen made a great covering tackle to clear the ball off the line to safety. Cockhills Jack McDaid had the last chance of the first half when he shot from a tight angle on the right but his effort from 15 yards was well saved by Harkin in the Carn goal.

Cockhill created a few early half chances in the second period but on one occasion Carn defender Cian Doherty made a block on an effort from Oisin O’Flaherty just inside the area on the right and on another occasion Daniel Doherty (s) was off target with a left footed effort from 20 yards out to the left of the ‘D’. Carn FC always looked a threat on the break with the pace of the young front three. Cade Cooke playing on the left had a chance on 62 minutes but his effort was well saved by Eoin Colhoun diving to his right. Cockhill opened the scoring on 70 minutes when Daniel Doherty picked up a short pass from Oisin Crawford and advanced forward to shot past keeper Kyle Harkins outstretched right hand into the top left-hand corner from 25 yards. Doherty had a similar effort only moments later but this time Harkin was equal to the shot and pulled off a great save diving high to his right to tip the ball over the bar for a corner. Jack McDaid then shot over from a breaking ball after the corner. Cockhill got punished for their missed chances on 85 minutes when after conceding a soft corner Carn’s Christy McLaughlin delivered to the near past and the ball went in off a home defender giving Colhoun no chance. Cockhill nicked the points in added on time when a Daniel Doherty right footed free from wide on the left was put into a dangerous area and substitute Michael Owen Doherty got a great flick with his head to see the ball loop over the defence and past the helpless Harkin much to the delight of the home team. A hard-fought victory for the home side against a spirited Carn FC


Greencastle FC 2

Illies Celtic 1

In a hard fought encounter at Chapel Lane  the home side started well and both Nigel McMonagle  andShea McLaughlin were denied by a superb double save from Johnathan Noone in the Illies goal. Illies then broke the deadlock on 21 minutes when a Paul Doherty cross caused confusion in the home defence and ended with a defender heading past his own keeper Patrick Quigley. But Greencastle hit back and equalised within a minute after McLaughlin threaded a fine pass into the path of McMonagle who drilled a low shot beyond the outstretched hand of Noone. Greencastle dominated the second half in terms of possession but found clear cut chances hard to come by against a well organised and committed Illies defence. Both McMonagle and Jack Coyle went close with good efforts either side of the hour mark.  The home side struck for the winner on 76 minutes following a Gavin Harkin corner which saw Michael Barr rise unchallenged to head to the top corner. Illies tried hard to rescue a point but the home side saw the game out.

Aileach FC 1

Buncrana Hearts 0

This game started very cagily with both teams cancelling each other out and a lot of play condensed in the middle third. The first half-chance fell to the home side when a corner from the right found Mark McElhinney who headed powerfully goalwards but his effort just cleared the bar. After 20 minutes a Kieran McDaid free for Buncrana was half cleared by Paddy Slevin and Kevin O Loughlins effort was blocked by Mark Mc Elhinney. As half time approached, Buncrana broke down the right and Eoin Murphy got to the by line and crossed for Bart Wesolowski to shoot but his shot was blocked by a combination of Aileach defenders and the ball broke to Darren Mc Monagle who raced forward before cutting inside and firing wide of Eoin O Doherty’s goal. 

Buncrana began the second half on the front foot and on 55 minutes Mikey Friel crossed from right for Kieran Mc Daid who controlled well but under pressure couldn’t get any purchase on his effort and McGeady dealt with the effort quite easily. On 65 minutes good work down the right between Gavin Doherty and Darren Mc Monagle resulted in the latter crossing for Caolan Doherty to fire goalwards from close range but O’Doherty in the away goal did well to parry his effort and it was cleared by a defender. Half time substitute Darach O Connor was getting on the ball in the middle of the park and causing the Aileach defence a lot of trouble with his direct running. On one such run on 70 minutes he worked the ball to the left and Kieran Mc Daid sent a deep cross for the in rushing Ben Bradley but his side foot effort from six yards flew high and wide. Buncrana were on top at this stage and had the home side defending in depth and they were unfortunate that a couple of ricochets fell kindly for Aileach defenders rather than the forwards. The away side had to force the issue as they needed the points to get into the reckoning but on 85 minutes Caolan Doherty picked the ball up on the half way line, left side, and ran at the Buncrana defence beating 2 players before cutting inside and laying the ball to Gavin Doherty who in turn found Darren Mc Monagle on the right and the No.10 took a touch and fired low and hard past O’Doherty from 12 yards. In the remaining time, Buncrana threw everything at Aileach to try and get parity but the defence of Gallagher, McElhinney, Mc Monagle and Curran capped fine performances and kept them at bay.


Clonmany Shamrocks 2

Moville Celtic 2

Moville got off to the perfect start in the eighth minute after a Michael McNaught cross was parried by Kieran Friel allowing Jack McConalogue to poke the ball home from close range. Clonmany responded and created a couple of good chances. Firstly Oisin hession fed Jason Devlin on the left and his effort was superbly finger tipped round the post by Seamus Houghton. Then a deep Liam Hirrell cross found Aaron Harkin but he headed just over the bar. But Moville were on top for the remainder of the half.  McNaught broke on the right but dragged an effort wide before the same player was denied from point blank range by the feet of Friel. On the stroke of half time Marc Bell unleashed a thunderous effort  which was superbly tipped onto the bar by Friel. Moville began the second half in the same fashion as the first and doubled their lead when Norbert Indyka headed home Conor Dohertys corner in the 54th minute.  Clonmany battled back and reduced the deficit five minutes later after Aaron Harkin regained possession on the  right and crossed for Jason Devlin to score with a diving header. Devlin then spurned two good chances before the shamrocks got back on terms on 69 minutes.When the Moville defence failed to clear a cross Jason Devlin and Dean Harkin had scuffed efforts before the ball fell to Paddy Doherty to shoot across Houghton and into the far corner. Two brilliant crosses then by Dean Harkin both went abegging before  Hession had a low effort well saved at full stretch by Houghton.  In the final minute Moville broke and almost nicked all three points but Dermot Harkins powerful drive came off the post before being cleared.

Strand Hotel Division One   

Aileach Res 2

Culdaff FC 2

This top of the table clash proved to be an entertaining encounter at Lakeside and the home side will be pleased to have maintained their unbeaten league run. Culdaff got a dream start when a ball from Ryan Greene over the home defence in the second minute released Jack McLaughlin to race clear and drill past Sean McGuinness.  Aileach replied and when Stephen O Donnell found Denver Kelly he cut the ball back to Darren Bradley who failed to hit the target from twelve yards. Culdaff created another good chance when Jack O Brien released McLaughlin but he dragged his effort wide from a tight angle. At the other end an O Donnell free was deflected wide and from the corner a Kyle McCann header was cleared off the line by JJ Doherty. Then good work  by Conor Bradley and O Donnell ended  with a lay off to Kelly but he fired wide from fourteen yards. On the stroke of half time  Ben Curley raced clear onto a ball over the top  but he was denied by the advancing McGuinness. Aileach started the second half the better and got back on terms on 55 minutes when O’Donnell broke on the left and fired across Martin McLaughlin which came off the post for Darren Bradley to slot home. Midway through  the half they took the lead when Bradley broke on the right and crossed  for David Campbell to flick the ball home at the near post.Culdaff pressed the home side back in the latter stages  and after a Ryan Greene header was parried by McGuinness the ball broke to Jack McLaughlin who poked wide of the gaping goal. The visitors earned a point on 85 minutes when substitutes Bryan McCandless and Conor Doherty combined  and when McCandless shot was blocked the loose ball fell to Mclaughlin to slot home . A draw in the end was a fair result. 

Glengad Res 0


The home side started the game brightly with Christopher Doherty firing wide from the edge of the area  before at the other end Darragh McDermott found space but his goal bound effort was cleared off the line by the aforementioned Doherty. Glengad had a good spell then with Ryan McLaughlin heading over from point blank range after a superb Paul McGonagle cross. Then JG McDermott s free found Nathan McDaid and when his header came off the crossbar Oran Doherty fired the rebound straight at Conor McColgan. The point replied when Josh Boyle advanced through the middle but fired wide from the edge of the area. The next chance of the half fell to the home side but Gary Kelly headed over from a corner. On the stroke of half time QPS broke the deadlock when after a quick break Sean McIntyre and McDermott combined   for McDermott to fire past Michael McLaughlin at the back post. Again the home side started well  on the resumption with Nathan McDaid denied by McColgan and Cian Doherty heading wide after McColgan had parried a McDaid cross. But midway through the half the Point increased their lead after a corner broke at the front post for McIntyre to squeeze the ball home past a defender on the line. With Glengad pushing forward the visitors caught them on the break again and Boyle raced clear to finish low past McLaughlin to leave the final score three nil.


Gleneely Colts 1

Redcastle United 3

Played in glorious sunny conditions Gleneely went ahead after 10minutes when Cahir O’Kane collected the ball in his own half, advanced and shot from all of forty yards to McColes left hand corner. Gleneely had another chance after good play on the left between Darragh O’Connor and Paul Gamble found Ciaran Gallagher on the edge of the area but McCole produced a finger tip save to push the ball around the right hand post. Redcastle then threatened from a succession of corners. Firstly Darragh McConway’s shot was blocked and then Shaun Curran’s shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Oran Raymond. Redcastle equalized at the beginning of the second half when Darragh McConway did well down the right ,got to the by line and played the ball across the box for Shaun Curran to poke home. Mid way through the half, Gleneely were reduced to 10 men and from the resulting free, Joe McCauley volleyed to the top corner giving Oran Raymond no chance. Gleneely upped their  game and had chances from Ciaran Gallagher and Cahir O’Kane but were not able to force them home. Redcastle were also reduced to 10 men late on and then Gleneely were reduced to nine men for deliberate handball. From the resulting free kick, Shaun Curran curled home from twenty yards to seal the points.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Rasheney FC 0

Buncrana Res 2

Buncrana began this game well with Michael Doherty firing over when well placed before Hugh Aaron McGonagle had a penalty claim waved aside. Midway through the half the home side responded and saw a Conor McDaid effort tipped onto the post by  Oran McBride before the visitors defence completed the clearance. Then a low driven cross from Cormac  Dillon found McLaughlin whose goalbound effort was deflected wide off  a defender.  Buncrana got on top then with Jack Soal evading a couple of tackles but seeing his effort saved by Greg Doherty before the keeper denied McGonagle minutes later after he was unmarked on the edge of the area. Buncrana took the lead on 38 minutes after Kevin Jordan fired a superb twenty five yards free kick over the wall and into the top corner. Minutes later they had another chance when the ball was deflected to Soal but his weak effort was gathered by Doherty. Rasheney tried to reply before the break with a long range effort from McLaughlin saved by McBride.  Rasheney had the first chance of the second half when Dillon went clear on the right and saw his low diagonal shot scrape the far post and wide. Buncrana settled and increased their lead on 57 minutes after Christopher McKinley crossed from  the left to Gerard Boyle who flashed a twenty five yards effort to the roof of the net. Boyle then had a looping header come off the inside of the post and into Doherty s arms before the same player badly miscued a header when well placed. At the other end a David McLaughlin effort was turned round the post by McBride at full stretch. But Boyle had the final two chances when firstly he had an effort saved by Doherty  and then saw an effort clip the bar on the way over.

Illies Res 4

Aileach Youths 1

The visitors started the game well but it was Illies who had the first chance on 11 minutes after Paul Devlin headed over Nathan Dohertys corner.  Illies continued to press with both Marty Doherty and Liam O Connor  failing to hit the target when well placed. The home side did make the break through on 33 minutes when O Connor found  Marty Coyle twenty five yards out  and he hammered low to the corner of the net. Illies started the second half well  and increased their lead on 48 minutes when a Dominic Doherty free deceived Clarke in the visitors goal and went all the way to the net. Seven minutes later it was three nil after a deep cross by Shane Devlin was steered home by  substitute William McLaughlin. After the Aileach defence failed to clear Nathan Doherty squared to O’Connor who fired home from six yards and make it four nil. Aileach responded and gained a consolation late in the game after Aaron Doherty  raced onto a through ball and slid it past the advancing Graham Doherty.

Moville Res 2

Carrowmena FC 3

The home side started well and Danny Murphy twice went close in the early satges. Firstly  he had an effort saved by Kyle Dougal before then bursting into the area only to be denied by a superb tackle from Joshua Gillen.  Conor Farren then had a first time effort well saved by  Dougal. The visitors responded and Adam Harkin fired wide before Ryan McDermott had an effort saved by Stephen Teles in the home goal. The home side took the lead on 35 minutes when John McGeady poked home after the Carrowmena defence failed to clear. But the visitors levelled within a minute  after Mark Browne headed home from a Michael Henry corner. Carrowmena  then took the lead on the stroke of half time after Henry played a ball through the home defence  for Ronan Doherty to run onto and slide the ball home. Moville started the second half well and deservedly drew level on the hour mark when Conor Lafferty despatched a penalty low to Dougals left after Farren had been upended. The visitors regained the lead in contentious fashion five minutes later after Henrys free kick came  off the bar bounced down and was adjudged to have crossed the line. Moville hit back and Murphy was denied again by a superb Browne tackle before Rowan Doherty fired inches wide. Carrowmena were always dangerous on the break   with Ronan Doherty and Henry seeing efforts saved by Teles. Moville threw everything forward in the closing stages but  Carrowmena held on.

Carn Res 0

Dunree Res  2

Dunree had the first chance on 5 minutes when Martin McDermott broke on the left wing and crossed for Jamie Brosnan who was unmarked on the edge of the 18 yard box and he hit a powerful shot which came off the post. They had another chance on 11 minutes after Garry McKeever made a long pass to Adam Barrett but he fired wide from 10 yards. Carn nearly broke the deadlock on 20 minutes when Dermot Doherty’s  pass from midfield found Dayton Cooke who failedto hit the target from 10 yards. It was Dunree who broke the deadlock in the 34th minute after Jamie Brosnan broke on the left rounded the defender and  squared it for Gary Breslin who shot low to the bottom right corner of the net from six yards.  Dunree had the first chance of the second half in the  53rd  minute when Mickey Grant’s  pass found Connell McGrory  on the left  but he  shot high and wide from 10 yards. Carn nearly pulled one back midway through the half after  a Darragh Doherty cross found Josh Diver who headed wide from 12 yards. Dunree  then doubled their lead on 77 minutes when following a clearance from the Carn defence  Conor Barrett  collected the ball  and went on a great run beating the defender and shot high to the top right corner of the net from 15 yards to seal  a surprise victory for the visitors. 


Sea Rovers 0

Clonmany Youth 1

Rovers dominated the opening half but failed to trouble Killian McCarron in the Clonmany goal. Andrew Gallagher went close with an early effort which just cleared the crossbar before Conor McGeoghaghan unleashed an effort which McCarron dealt comfortably with. Gallagher then burst into the area and went down under a challenge but the home appeals were waved away. Before the break Gallagher was narrowly off target with an overhead kick as the half ended scoreless. Clonmany came more into the game in the second half and when Karol Harkin crossed for  Thomas Comiskey  his effort flew just the wrong side of the post. They took the lead midway through the half  when Harkin won possession and released Aaron Porter on the left and he cut in to drill low past Ben Collins in the rover goal. Rovers tries hard to get back into the game but the closest they came as when Keelan Doherty unleashed an effort from the edge of the area but his effort went narrowly wide.