Match Reports Sunday 4th Feb

February 4th  2018

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 2pm

Carn FC                                 2

Greencastle  FC                 3

Greencastle got off to a great when a Shaun Doherty cross found Nigel McMonagle but he fired wide from ten yards.

Then Shaun McKinney fed Doherty who squared for Matthew Henry to fire low past Kyle Dougal  from ten yards in the 5th minute.  On 9 minutes a left wing corner from Michael Henry deflected off Dougal and into the net to give Greencastle a two goal lead. The home side reduced the deficit when Michael McDermott released Cade Cooke to chip Dylan Doherty from the edge of the area. Midway through the half Aaron McCarron fed Darragh Deery whose cross ended with Gert Dzerins firing over from fifteen yards. On the half hour Greencastle made it three one when Doherty found Matthew Henry to drive low to the corner from twenty yards.

They went close again when Christy Hegarty released McMonagl but he fired narrowly wide. After the restart Carn had the first chance  but Michael McDermott fired low and past the post from fifteen yards. The home side were awarded a penalty after McDermott was upended and he fired the kick to the bottom right hand corner. At the other end McMonagle was picked out by Henry but he failed to hit the target. Carns Donal Doherty then fed McDermott to square to Cooke but he fired high and wide from inside the area. Finally a Cooke corner found Conor Doherty but he headed over from twelve yards.

Glengad  United                0

Buncrana Hearts               0

In a poor game overall the best chance of the first half came in the opening minute when Stephen  McLaughlin fed Terence Doherty who beat a defender and fired goalwards but Seamus Houghton parried at full stretch with the ball breaking to Christopher McLaughlin but his low effort shaved the outside of the post. Buncrana replied on 15 minutes when Kieran McDaid’s corner found Kevin O Loughlin and he headed at Kevin McLaughlin from eight yards. The remainder of the half was amid field battle with neither keeper troubled. On 48 minutes Christy McLaughlin broke on the left and again his effort shaved the outside of the post. On the hour Jason Doherty’s first time effort  also clipped the outside of the post as Glengad pressed. On 65 minutes another McDaid corner for the visitors  was cleared back to McDaid whose driven effort across the area found Ryan Curran who failed to convert from six yards. Glengad pressed but had to wait until the final minute when a Shane Canning free from half way found unmarked Seamus Doherty in the six yard box  and his poked effort was brilliantly saved by Houghton low to his right to earn the visitors a share of the spoils.

Culdaff FC                            2

Clonmany Shamrocks      2

In an entertaining game the home side might feel it was two points dropped as they led two nil at one stage but in fairness Clonmany probably deserved something from the game.  Dillon Ruddy dragged one effort wide from the edge of the area before after good work by Brendan McLaughlin  his effort was gathered by Patrick Harkin. At the other end Mark McLaughlin fired just wide before Steve Harkin got on the end of a Fearghal Harkin free but failed to get enough on the ball at the back post. On 28 minutes an inswinging Conor Keddy corner found McLaughlin for the home side but he failed to get enough power on the header. But Clonmany hot back with a Steve Harkin effort well saved by Daniel Mullarkey before Fearghal Harkin fired a free kick  over the wall and just past the post. The home side broke the deadlock on 41 minutes after great work by Brendan McLaughlin saw him nick the ball off a defender and square for Michael Coyle to fire home left footed from twelve yards with his effort going in off the post. On the stroke of half time Clonmany were awarded a penalty after Aaron Harkin was dragged back but Patrick Harkins spot kick was saved low to his right by Mullarkey. Culdaff started the second period well with Conor Keddy firing narrowly over before Michael Coyle had a header deflected behind. They doubled their lead with a brilliant strike after keeper Harkin punched clear to the left corner of the box where Darren Mullarkey unleashed a twenty yards thunderbolt which flew past a crowd of players and into an unguarded net. Midway through the half a great surge from McLaughlin took him into the area where the ball broke to Coyle who fired just over. Clonmany got back into the game minutes later after a Raymond McDaid ball into the area was brilliantly volleyed over Mullarkey by Mark McLaughlin from ten yards. They had two good chances to level then when Oisin Hession broke on the right but Mullarkey stood firm to block and then Andy Doherty ‘s header from close range was clawed away by Mullarkey. Pressure told on 77 minutes when the home side gave away possession allowing  Jason Devlin to break and his superb cross  beat the despairing dive of Mullarkey for  McLaughlin to slot home his second of the game. Culdaff almost won the game late on when Keddy advanced into the area but his effort was deflected  over and from one corner Coyle had a header cleared off the line before the next corner was blocked by Harkin to Dermot Diver whose effort tricked just past the post. Clonmany had the final chance when Raymond McDaid volleyed over when bearing down on goal.

Aileach FC                3

QPS                            1

Q.P.S. were ahead within 8 minutes when the Aileach defence failed to clear a left wing corner and Barry Molloy was on  hand to bundle the ball over the line from close range. The equaliser came on 20 minutes when Dermot Doherty picked the ball up 25yards out and curled a lovely left footed effort high past the stranded Aidan Lynch in the Point goal. On the  half hour Aileach were ahead when Gareth McGlynn converted a free kick from the edge of the box in off Lynch’s left  hand post. Within five minutes of the re-start Aileach added a third  when Gareth McGlynn put Anthony Doherty clear on the right channel

and he slipped the ball under the advancing keeper. Q.P.S. responded and Stephen McKendry stung the hands of Peter Devlin when he shot from a narrow angle. The Point were looking more dangerous at this stage and the home side again had Devlin to thank for keeping the status quo when he denied Josh Boyle in a one on one situation. On 80 minutes John

McCloskey saw his looping header just drop over Devlin’s bar following left wing cross. At the other end Ronan Coyle brought a fine save from Lynch when the centre forward fired goalward from 16 yards with the keeper turning the effort onto  his bar. The last action of the game saw Dermot Doherty see his angled shot from 12 yards clip the outside of a post.

Strand Hotel First Division

Dunree United                   0

Moville Celtic                     1

In a tight encounter the first half was an even affair with no goalmouth incidents.  On the hour mark a back pass to Shaun Doherty in the home goal saw his kick go to Tony Boyce  who controlled but fired wide from eight yards. Minutes later the home side replied with a twenty five yards effort from Philip McGuinness which Ryan Coyle saved low to his left.On 80 minutes Hyle Harkin fired a stunning free to the top corner from twenty five yards to give Moville the lead. On the stroke of full time Dunree almost snatched a draw when Neil Moran’s header was superbly saved by Coyle low to his right to ensure the visitors took all three points.

Gleneely Colts                   1

Redcastle United                          2

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors when Brian Tracey blazed over from fifteen yards before the next period was a dogged midfield battle.  Redcastle continued on top and on  35 minutes Dean Curran then fired wide when well placed. They took the lead on the stroke of half time when a Jack McConalogue cross was headed high past Adrian Duffy by Aaron Nash from eight yards. Five minutes after the restart Duffy saved well to deny Tracey whose header looked destined for the bottom corner. Gleneely then had a chance after Luke Barnett fed Christy Smith on the left but his effort crashed off the post. Play swung to the other end and when Odhran McColgan fed McConalogue and he fired low past Duffy from ten yards. Gleneely hit back immediately when Cory O Brien was upended in the area and Billy McCann fired low to the left hand corner. The home side pressed again and from a Damien Duffy corner John Doherty saw his header cleared off the line by Curran. Gleneely kept pressing and on the stroke of half time O’ Brien blazed over from six yards when he should have hit the target.

Rasheney FC                       0

Buncrana Res                     0

The home side will feel that this was two points lost as they had the majority of the chances in a keenly fought game. Christy Ivers was first to threaten when he advanced and unleashed an effort on the run which drifted just over. Buncrana replied on 21 minutes after a good run and cross by John Timlin  found Gerard Boyle but the usually reliable striker miscued. But the home side got the upperhand for the remainder of the half with Damien Friel firing over from distance and a Brendan Doherty cross headed over by Michael Toland from twelve yards. There were equally few chances in the second period but the home side had them all. On 47 minutes  Paddy McGilloway fired over before Toland then had a twenty yards effort palmed away by Ryan O Sullivan.The closest they came was on 72 minutes when a Declan Mclaughlin cross found Brendan Doherty whose header crashed off the bar before being cleared.

Clonmany Res                    0

Cockhill Youth                    0

The home side continued their good run of late with another point but the visitors started well with Shay McLaughlin breaking on the left but Liam McGonigle advancing to smother at his feet. In a similar incident Jack McDaid raced clear but again McGonigle saved at the edge of the area. Cockhill lost Ronan McLaughlin with an injury just before the break. On 53 minutes Michael Owen Doherty header came off the bar before he headed the rebound over for the visitors. The home side well marshalled by Kevin Harkin and Eoin McLaughlin restricted the visitors to few chances. The home side had a good late chance when David McGonigle got on the end of a Pearse McCarron cross but his effort lacked power.


Aileach Res             1

Sea Rovers              2

The home side opened the scoring on 15 minutes after Stephen Tabbitt had an effort which was  parried by Glen Watson and Ciaran McGrory followed up to drill home from fifteen yards. Rovers replied with a Damien Ward free from distance which flew high and wide. Aileach had the last chance of the half when Ruari Bradley unleashed an effort but Watson was equal to it. The opening period of the second half saw both defences on top and most of the play bogged down in the middle.When the home side failed to deal with a Damien Ward free the ball went all the way to the net past Ciaran Bradley who was unsighted. With the home side pushing hard they were caught on the break when Evan McLaughlin beat the offside trap and raced clear to finish superbly past Bradley for a shock victory for the visitors over the league leaders.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    A       

Glengad Res                                    2

Culdaff Res                          0

In great conditions at the Crua Culdaff started the better with Aiden Cunningham feeding Matthew Mullarkey whose effort was well saved by Michael McLaughlin. Cunningham then had another effort from fifteen yards also saved by McLaughlin. Glengad broke to the other end and when Cathal Doherty fed PJ McDaid his low effort was smothered by Daniel McLaughlin.

The visitors suffered a blow when Cunningham retired injured while Cathal Doherty had an effort which drifted over the bar before McDaid ran onto a ball over the top but Mullarkey saved well. The home side took the lead on 40 minutes when a Gary Kelly corner found the unmarked Doherty to head to the bottom corner from six yards. Culdaff replied and Declan Noone fed Jack O Brien whose low effort was brilliantly tipped round the post by McLaughlin. On the stroke of half time John McDaid fed Kelly whose initial effort was parried and Kelly’s follow up came off the post.Glengad started the second half the better and on 54 minutes Brian Doherty had a twenty yards effort crash back off the bar. Minutes later Paul McGonagle had a similar effort tipped onto the bar by Mullarkey. Midway through the half a great cross from Thomas O’Brien found no takers. Glengad sealed the points on 77 minutes when Cathal Doherty fed McDaid who rounded a defender and calmly slotted home.

Redcastle Res                    3

Cockhill Res                        2

This match was reversed and played at Cockhill in fine conditions which

made for a good match.  Both teams were well matched in the early stages but there were few clear cut chances for either side. It was Redcastle who broke the deadlock on the half hour mark when a cross  from the far left by Antonio Rae found its way in to the net off the back post beyond the reach of Ryan Fitzpatrick in the Cockhill goal. As Cockhill pressed on they found an equaliser just before half time, as they broke quickly down the left Mark Gillespie cut inside and took aim from thirty yards out and his fine strike was good enough to beat Redcastle keeper Paul Doherty to draw the sides level. Redcastle soon found themselves in front again minutes later right on half time.  A cross in to the Cockhill box was cleared but landed at the feet of Emmett McConway twenty five yards out who took a touch and hit a great strike in to

the top corner past Ryan Fitzpartick to give Redcastle the lead again.Cockhill started the second half well and pushed Redcastle back but could

not find the breakthrough to draw themselves level. With time running out and Cockhill pushing foward Redcastle extended their lead when a corner was flicked in at the back post by substitute Mark Doherty. However, Cockhill fought back well with time running out.  Mark Gillespie scored from the spot after Cockhill were awarded a penalty but despite Cockhill’s late pressure they were unable to find a late equaliser.

Moville Res                         3

Aileach Youths                   0

On 7 minutes a defensive mix up in the visitors defence allowed Michael Grimley to nip in and fired past Dylan Clarke to give the home side an early advantage. They doubled their lead on 15 minutes when Graeme Doherty fired a penalty low to the keepers left after PJ Barr was upended. Midway through the half a Pearse Doherty throw in found Conor Lafferty who beat a defender and fired a superb effort in off the underside of the bar from sixteen yards. The second half saw the visitors tighten up at the back  and the home side content to sit back and play on the break to record another win

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B                

Greencastle Res                2

Dunree Res                         0

Dunree opened well with a Peter O Neill effort well blocked by Mark Browne before the same player whipped in a dangerous cross which evaded all attackers. Greencastle’s Conor Gillen then beat four men in a mazy run but was denied by a last ditch tackle before Gavin Rowan fired over from twenty five yards.Dunree then went close after a Martin McDermott free found O Neill who hit the ball on the half volley but just wide.  Greencastle responded when Conor and Darragh Gillen combined and crossed for Jude Harkin whose effort was deflected into the arms of Roger McGilloway. Home keeper Fergus Kerr then advanced smartly to save at the feet of the inrushing O Neill who also headed over from the corner. A brilliant Rowan pass found Conor Gillen on the left and cut in to fire a stunning effort to the top corner on 32 minutes. After good build up play Harkin then fired narrowly over before the same player curled a free just wide after Ronan Doherty had been fouled. Greencastle had a good chance minutes after the break when Shaun Cavanagh turned well and saw his effort well saved by McGilloway. Dunree replied and O Neill’s dangerous cross was well gathered by Kerr. Play swung to the other end and Cavamagh again was denied by McGilloway. On 70 minutes  Dunree s Jason Spence had an  effort saved by Kerr. The home side then increased their lead after Mark Browne fed Conor Gillen on the left and his cross was flicked on by Cavanagh for Darragh Gillen to slot home at the back post. Dunree tried to respond and Paddy Toland had an effort well saved before Martin McDermott fired a free over the top.The final chance fell to the home side with Rowan firing a free just over the bar.

Rasheney Res         2

Carn Res                   0

In good conditions the visitors Niall McGuinness threaded  lovely ball through to Conor Doherty inside the area but he fired tamely wide. At the other end John McLaughlin found Corny McCole on the left hand side of the area and his diagonal effort came off a defender and onto the outside of the post. From the corner Mclaughlin’s deep cross saw Paul McConalogue  effort saved by Daniel McCallion. On 28 minutes a mix up in the visitors defence gifted David McLaughlin a clear sight of goal but his twenty five yards effort drifted wide. The best chance of the half fell to Carn when Dayton Cooke raced clear and with Kieran O Neill to beat he lifted his effort over the bar. Near the break Conor Doherty for the visitors fired just wide while at the other end McConalogue headed wide from a good position as the half ended scoreless.

After the restart a Jack McLaughlin corner found Matthew McLaughlin and McConalogue who both lunged at the ball but McCallion grabbed on the line. Rasheney broke the deadlock on 57 minutes after a Kevin Noone free was headed out to John McLaughlin who fired a low twenty yards effort to the bottom corner. Rasheney then had efforts from the John McLaughlin, McConalogue and two from David McLaughlin all well saved by keeper McCallion. On 71 minutes Matthew Duffy broke on the right and crossed for Corny McCole well positioned but he scuffed his effort. Minutes later they made it two nil when with McCallion caught out of position McConalogue lifted the ball over his head and into the net. Carn pressed hard in the closing stages and Gregory Doherty blazed over when he should have hit the target. They had another late chance when Lorcan Bradley fed Dayton Cooke but his effort was blocked by a defender and cleared.

Illies Res                              0

Carrowmena Res               0

The only real chance of the game did not arrive until the half hour mark when a Samuel Bredin effort was well saved by Kevin Gallagher in the home goal.

With defences on top the play was bogged down in midfield as the half ended scoreless. Illies had a great chance after a Liam O Connor free fell to Joe McLaughlin but his effort was brilliantly saved by Mark Doherty. Carrowmena replied with Bredin unleashing an effort but Gallagher saved superbly. A Brendan Doherty snapshot for the home side just cleared the bar on 77 minutes in what proved to be the final effort of the game and both teams had to settle for a share of the spoils.