Match Reports Sunday 3rd February

FAI Junior Cup  Last Sixteen

Crettyard United               3

Glengad United                 1

On a tight and very soft pitch in Carlow both teams were a bit cagey in the opening fifteen minutes. Glengad had the first chance when Stephen McLaughlin raced forward and pulled the ball back but Conor Barrow just failed to connect.

Glengad then opened the scoring on 19 minutes after an Adam Byrne  effort came off the crossbar and Terence Doherty controlled  and volleyed home from twelve yards. Crettyard responded and Colin Osborne had a shot which skimmed the outside of the post.They got back on terms after Osborne advanced and crossed for  the unmarked  Padraic Lawlor who rose high at the back post to head past Daniel Mullarkey.Glengad rallied and regained the lead  when James McKinney despatched a penalty  low to the keepers left after a hand ball in the area. Glengad started the second half well with Christy McLaughlin ghosting past a couple of defenders and pulling the ball back to Barrow but he fired wide when well placed. They increased their lead on 65 minutes after Seamus Doherty released Terence Doherty on the left and he laid the ball off for Barrow to sidestep a defender and slot home. Christopher Mclaughlin then broke clear into the area but dragged his effort wide. Glengad dominated possession on a difficult surface to advance to the last eight for the second time in five seasons and hopefully the draw will be kind to them.

Photo Courtesy Of Megan Doherty 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Redcastle  United             1

Greencastle FC                  9

Greencastle started the game as the more dominant side and had a deserved lead after 2 minutes when a through ball from Eamon Donnelly found Nigel McMonagle who took the ball around the keeper and rolled the ball into the empty net. Greencastle nearly doubled their lead 5 minutes later when a long range effort from Shaun Doherty was smartly saved by Michael McCole. With a quarter of an hour played Redcastle equalised out of nothing when Gavin Grant hit an effort from 30 yards which flew into the top corner leaving the keeper helpless. From the kickoff Greencastle went and scored a very similar goal to their first when a through ball from Donnelly found McMonagle who put the ball past the on-rushing keeper. Greencastle had their third when a free kick from Redcastle  was blocked by the wall and then McMonagle ran at the Redcastle defence and put in a great cross for Ciaran Moore who put the ball in the back of the net. Minutes before half time McGonagle ran past three defenders and was unlucky toes his effort hit the post and come out. Redcastle’s  task became a lot harder when Cahir McLaughlin was sent off for a second yellow card after 50 minutes. It didn’t take Greencastle long to capitalise. 10 minutes later a pass from Michael Henry found McMonagle who slotted the ball into the bottom corner for his hat-trick. Greencastle’s subs then started to score when a long range effort from Tom Casey hit the inside of the post and crept in. Casey should have  had his second 2 minutes later only for McCole to pull off a point blank save to keep it at 5-1. With 67 minutes gone McMonagle got to the by-line and his cut back was well finished by Casey who got his second. Minutes later a poor pass from Philip Marghey was intercepted by McGonagle who tried to take it around the keeper but McCole read his idea and put the ball out for a corner. With 15 minutes left a corner from Greencastle was scored by Michael Barr who’s looping header beat the keeper. Good play from Greencastle was well finished by Christy Hegarty. With 5 minutes left another bit of good play from Greencastle who were making it look easy was well finished by Matty Henry.

Aileach FC                1

Culdaff FC                2

This game was switched to Caratra Park as the Lakeside venue was still covered in snow and frozen. Aileach started well and on 3 minutes a Kevin Doran low cross was deflected onto his own bar and over by Dermot Diver. Culdaff replied  with Bryan McCandless flicking the ball on for Jack McLaughlin who cut in from the left and curled a right footed effort just past the far post. Aileach dominated the remainder of the half and an inswinging Gareth McGlynn free found Doran coming in from the right but his diagonal run saw the ball drift past the post. After the home defence failed to clear inside the area a Gavin Doherty flick was cleared off the line by Diver. But a misplaced pass by Culdaff in midfield  on 27 minutes was seized on by Thomas McMacken  who played a first time pass through to Gavin Doherty who lifted the ball over the advancing Darragh McLaughlin from the edge of the area. A short corner on the right was played to Keith McColgan whose inswinging effort came off the bar and was cleared to safety. Aileach had the first chance of the second half as well when after a corner McLaughlin saved well and the rebound fell to Doran who blazed over. On 51 minutes Culdaff levelled against the run of play when Aiden Cunningham pounced on a misplaced pass and drilled low past David McGeady from the edge of the area to give his side a lifeline. Aileach tried to respond immediately and McLaughlin in the home goal despite going the wrong way made a superb save to claim Anthony Doherty’s goal bound header. There were not many chances after this but on 68 minutes McCandless played a superb back heel to send Jack O’Brien running through the centre but Darren Gallagher made a brilliant tackle on the edge of the area to avert the danger. On 85 minutes McGlynn then slipped a superb pass into the path of Gavin Doherty inside the area but he blazed high and wide from an angle. With the visitors moving to three at the back Culdaff broke and got a crucial winner in their battle to avoid relegation when substitute Liam Doherty fed Jack McLaughlin on the left and he released McCandless who lifted the ball over Mcgeady with the outside of his right foot from twenty five yards and in off the post to seal a remarkable victory.

Strand Hotel First Division 

Dunree United                   0

Moville Celtic                     3

This was a tight close game throughout and not for the first time this season the home side will rue a failure to convert chances at crucial times. They had the first chance on 21 minutes after Philip McGuinness’s corner was sidefooted home from six yards by Ryan Bradley.Moville replied with a Conor Lafferty inswinging corner parried away by Sean Parker in the home goal. Dunree ‘s best chance came before the break after a Cathal McNutt ball over the top found Bernie Doherty but well placed he blasted wide. Moville broke the deadlock early in the second half when the ball broke inside the area to Lee McColgan and he fired low past Parker from twelve yards. Moville dominated thereafter and increased their lead midway through the half when Michael McNaught sidefooted home at the back post after a corner. They completed the scoring on 84minutes when a Caolan Doherty effort from distance deceived Parker on its way to the net.

Rasheney  FC                      6

Sea Rovers                          0

Rovers had the first chance after Shay Rodgers  crossed for Evan McLaughlin whose header flew inches over the bar. The home side settled and opened the scoring on 11 minutes after John Grant released Ryan Doherty through the middle  to fire low past Glen Watson from sixteen yards. The same players combined minutes later but well placed Doherty volleyed wide. They did increase their advantage on 25 minutes after Grant’s diagonal pass found Doherty to control and drill past Watson from fourteen yards. The home side had another chance after a defensive error allowed Tyler McBride to race clear but Watson advanced to narrow the angle and he drove wide. Rasheney then made it three nil when Charlie Doherty found Conor McDaid who crossed for Grant to slot home from close range. Rovers rallied and Damien Ward had a free hacked clear before a long range William Logan free flew just wide. Rasheney dominated the second period with a looping effort from Grant  dropping just wide. Substitute Nathan McConalogue made it four nil when he pounced after McBride’s effort was blocked to fire home from eight yards. McConalogue then scored the goal of the game when he raced onto Grant’s flick on to fire  a stunning effort to the top corner. Ryan Doherty then completed his hat trick and the scoring after he advanced into the area and beat Watson at the near post.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two      A 

Greencastle Res                2

Aileach Youths                   1

The home side got off to a dream start in the second minute when Joe Doherty fed Adam Harkin to advance on the right and cross for Ronan Doherty to fire past Ryan Fox on the half volley from six yards. Harkin then broke into the area but was denied by a fine save from Fox. They increased their lead on 15 minutes after a Michael Barr free kick took a slight deflection off one of his own players on its way to the net. They continued to press and Andrew peoples evaded a number of challenges but fired narrowly wide. Aileach settled and paddy Curran broke into the area but was denied by Puaric Carey-Doherty in the home goal. They reduced the deficit on 40 minutes when Curran’s cross was slotted home by Paul McGrory. Aileach pressed hard before the break and both Brendan Hegarty and Ryan Wilson were denied by two stunning saves from the home keeper. The game flowed from end to end in the second period with Joe Doherty seeing an effort turned round the post by Fox before Peoples headed over and Doherty fired wide. At the other end Wilson saw a goalbound shot cleared off the line by Barr while Hegarty fired wide from the edge of the area. Greencastle substitute Tom Casey advanced inside the  area but Fox smothered at his feet while minutes later Casey robbed a defender but again his effort was saved by Fox. Aileach tried to reply and McGrory saw a free kick saved by Carey-Doherty while Darren Bradley was denied by  the legs of the keeper shortly  afterwards. On 85 minutes good work by David Henry saw his cross pick out Casey whose shot was deflected over the bar. From the corner the visitors broke and Josh Lynch raced clear of the home defence but once again Carey-Doherty came to the home side s rescue to ensure they claimed the points.

Moville Res             3

QPS  Res                   2

There was an even start to this game in good conditions in the Bayfield with the first chance falling to the visitors when Lee Barr ‘s free kick was held by Maurice McGeady. Moville responded on 13 minutes after an inswinging Christy McGeoghaghan corner found Gordon Martin whose header was saved by David Bell. QPS took the lead on 16 minutes after a defensive error allowed Joe Johnstone to slot low to the corner past McGeady. On 22 minutes the home side’s Danny Murphy raced clear but dragged his effort wide. Murphy then drew an excellent save from Bell  with a well struck thirty five yards effort. Another McGeoghaghan corner on 41 minutes found the unmarked Jack Ferry but he fired over the bar. Moville equalised on the stroke of half time after  good work by ferry fed Graham Doherty who in turn found Murphy to slot home from close range. Three minutes into the second period the point regained the lead after good work by Chris O’Donnell found Johnstone and he rounded McGeady  who somehow diverted the ball only for Sean McColgan to follow up and slot home. Moville got back on terms on 52 minutes after James Gillen crossed from the right which deceived bell and landed in the net. Moville struck for the winner on 75 minutes when Pearse Doherty laid the ball off to Murphy who despatched a brilliant effort from thirty yards to the top corner. The point pressed with Jack McConalogue and Ronan Lafferty both denied by good saves from McGeady.

Inishowen Engineering Division   2  B  

Carrowmena  FC                0

Carn Res                               5

The game was played in perfect conditions at The Warren. Carrowmena started brightly and put Carn on the back foot for the opening exchanges. Sammy Bredin saw a good free kick saved smartly by Dean Mason in the Carn goals. Carn soon settled into the game and opened the scoring with Darragh Deery scoring after good work from Dayton Cooke. Darragh Deery soon added his second finishing at the near post from a corner by Christy McDaid. Carns third came from the spot as Christy McDaid converted after being upended in the box by Brian Houghton in the home nets. Carrowmena tried to reply with Drew Crumlish seeing a fine header saved down low by Mason. The second half began with Carn adding a fourth when James Monagle reacted first to score from close range after a cross caused confusion in the home defence. The scoring was completed when Carn got their fifth and hat trick for Darragh Deery scoring with a header from a corner. Carrowmena continued to battle on but could not get a consolation.