Match Reports Sunday 31st October

Sunday  31st   October 

Ulster   Junior Shield 

Greencastle Youth 1

Moville Res 2

John L Coyle ‘s division two Moville side caused a minor upset when they defeated Greenastle Youth who are in division one in a typical local derby at Chapel Lane.


In the early exchanges Evan Davenport, Gavin Rowan and Trevor Kane were off target for the home side while Davenport had another shot wel saved by Ryan Coyle. At the other end Evan Hudner went close with a free kick , Danny Murphy fired wide and Conor Farren saw a twenty yards effort well saved by Paul Doherty in the home goal. The deadlock was broken midway through the half when  Doherty parried a Daniel McFadden effort but Caillou O Kane was first to react to force the loose ball home.The home side tried to respond and both Rowan and Christy Hegarty  had efforts saved by Coyle . Moville then increased their lead before the break after Doherty had parried Murphys free kick but John McGeady was on hand to drill the rebound home. The visitors had the first chance of the second half when a looping header from Murphy was well tipped over by replacement keeper Evan Davenport. Greencastle upped the tempo and both Ben Doherty and Hegarty were denied by goo stops from Coyle. In a quick break at the other end Murphy saw his goal bound effort well saved by Davenport. Greencastle substitute Ruairi McCourt then saw his shot half stopped by Coyle but Mcgeady got  back to clear off the line. They did get a goal back after Ben Doherty’s cross came off a defender and Coyle done superbly to tip the ball onto the bar but Josh Lafferty was in the right place to fire home. Greencastle pressed hard in the closing stages but a Daniel Rowan effort from twenty yards which went just wide was as close as they came.

Glengad Res 1

Culdaff FC 5

Culdaff ran out comprehensive winners of this local derby at the Crua in great conditions on Sunday morning. They got off to a dream start in the 7th minute  when Ryan Greene scores from close range with a deflected shot. The home side responded and  Nathan Mc Conalogue shoots straight at the keeper from a good position  while at the other end  Aidan Cunningham shoots over when well placed inside the box for Culdaff. The visitors increased their lead midway through the half after Bryan Mc Candless finds the back of the net from close range after the home defence failed to clear. Glengad got a goal back four minutes later when Gary Kelly  latches onto a long ball  and rounds Martin Mc Laughin in Culdaff goal to tap the ball into the net. Once again Culdaff got a dream start to the second half when  Jack O’Brien fired a free kick into the bottom corner from  twenty five yards. Glengad had a  good spell then with 

Gary Kelly seeing  a shot cleared off the line by Culdaffs Thomas O’Brien before the same player was  denied again by Martin Mc Laughlin’s smart save. Culdaff fiished the game strongly with  Bryan Mc Candless showing  good footwork to slot home into the bottom corner before Conor Doherty taps in from close range after a  good save by Michael Mc Laughlin in the home goal.

Dunree Res 1

Gleneely Colts 6

First division Gleneely Colts proved much too strong for a struggling Dunree Res on Saturday afternoon at St Egneys Park. The home side had an early chance but a John Harkin volley flew inches wide. But the visitors opened the scoring on 17 minutes after Darragh Canny broke forward on the left and crossed for Kevin Doherty to head home from ten yards. Canny then increased their lead when he raced onto a Billy McCann pass and fired an unstoppable effort to the roof of the net. There was an element of luck to the third goal after a McCann free kick rebounded off the bar and hit the home keeper Philip Doherty  on its way into the goal to make it three nil.Before the break Gleneely made it four nil after Conor Hegarty forced the ball home after the home defence had failed to clear. Dunree started the second half and go a goal back after a Sean Hegarty free took a wicked bounce on its way past Oran Raymond. Dunree  pressed  but were caught on the break with Darragh O Connor ‘s cross  deflected past Doherty off an unfortunate defender. Cahir O Kane completed the scoring when he fired low past Doherty from ten yards. Dunree had the final chance but  David Eccles failed to hit the target after being set up by a good Gareth McKeever pass.

Sea Rovers 4

Illies Res 4  ( Illies Res win 8-7 on pens)

After an even start to this game Rovers had the first attempt on goal when a corner was cleared to Declan McGonagle and his low drive was well saved by Graham Doherty. Illies replied and opened the scoring on 12 minutes after a right wing cross fell kindly for Shane Devlin to slot home. But Rovers responded well and got back on terms in the 18th minute after a Conor McGeoghaghan corner broke on the six yard line and Anthony Cantwell reacted well to force the loose ball home. Before the half hour Illies had regained the lead from  another corner when this time the home defence failed to clear and  Paul Devlin pounced to score. Rovers rallied and got back on terms when McGeoghaghan  crossed for Cantwell to fire low past Doherty . But Illies then regained the lead when David Doherty  headed home after a corner from ten yards out. On 55  minutes a fine free kick from Rovers Connor Mc Geoghaghan was not claimed  by the Illies keeper allowing Declan McGonagle got a toe on the ball to even the score at three all. A fine run by Rovers Keelan Doherty who  put a good ball through for  Mc Gonagle who made no mistake in chipping the on coming keeper to edge rovers ahead again. But  Illies made a break from the halfway line and a good run by Joe McLaughlin took him into the area where he fired low to the corner to force the game into extra time.Defences were on top and neither side were able to fashion a clear cut chance and in the penalty shootout it was   Illies who emerged 8.7 winners on spot kicks.

Redcastle United 4

Strand Rovers 2

Cathal Faulkners  side advance to the next round after this good win over Strand Rovers, finalists in 2020 in this competition, at Foyle Park.  Rovers had an early chance when Matthew O Donnell released James McCole but he fired just over the bar.The home side replied and  took the lead on 15 minutes  after an excellent Ronan Hoy finish from inside the area after Darragh McConway had picked him out. They increased their lead on the half hour after Alan Clarke was on hand to convert after good approach play and cross from Stephen Grant on the right .  Rovers replied with Aaron Ward denied by a superb Michael McCole  save before  Rovers got back into the game before half time when Jordan Saville converted a penalty after he had been upended inside the area. After a slow start to the second period McConway unleashed a brilliant  strike towards the top corner but Timoney pulled off an incredible save. Redcastle increased their lead from the penalty spot when Darragh McConway fired past Dean Timoney in the Rovers goal  on 65 minutes after Hoy had been upended. They added another after good play on the right ended with Grant crossing for Clarke to steer the ball past Tierney and make it four one. Strand Rovers got a consolation on 87 minutes when Saville unleashed a brilliant thirty yards strike to the top corner but it is Redcastle who advance.

Clonmany Res 2

Gweedore United 3 (AET)

The visitors got off to a dream start on 3 minutes after Ryan Kelly crossed from the left for Ronan O’Donnell to fire past Kieran Friel from close range. Clonmany responded on 21 minutes after Joe Doherty laid the ball into the path of  Conor O’Donnell but his effort was  superbly saved by Peadar O Baoill in the Gweedore goal. Clonmany equalised before the interval when Raymond McDaid laid the ball back for Conor Bradley whose cross found Mark McLaughlin to sidefoot home from ten yards.  Gweedore started the second half well on top and when O’Donnell crossed to Cahir Gillespie he failed to connect when well placed. They retook the lead on 73minutes after a free kick was blocked and fell to Ethan Harkin who unleashed a sweet strike to the top corner giving Friel no chance. But Clonmany rallied and got back on terms within minutes after Bradley crossed for Joe Doherty to sidefoot home at the back post.  Gweedore should have won the game late on when substitute Darragh O Baoill ran onto a long ball rounded Friel  but his effort lacked power to cross the line allowing Andrew Doherty to clear. Four minutes into extra time Gweedore went three two up after  Harkin fired a stunning twenty five yards free to the top corner again for a brilliant goal.

Dunree United 2 ( Dunree win 4-2 on pens)

Monaghan United 2

Dunree advance to the next round with this penalty shootout win in a hard fought encounter  and stand in keeper Philip Doherty the hero with two saves in the shootout. Monaghan started well with Nathan Brakie a constant threat on the right and they took the lead after Brakie cut in from the right and saw his deflected shot wrong foot Doherty. Dunree came more into the game and late in the half created a chance after Liam Baldrick got to the byline and pulled the ball back for Adam Barrett but his effort was well saved by Jason Alistair in the visitors goal. Dunree started the second half well and pressed the visitors back for long spells but they failed to  create clear  chances. Their pressure finally told on 88minutes  after a deep cross from Peter O Neill found Gerry Farrell  who head home to force extra time. Dunree began extra time well and took the lead on 95 minutes  a Baldrick cross was controlled  well by Farrell who finished low to the corner from ten yards. They then had a great chance to put the tie to bed but Gary Breslin blazed over from six yards. They paid the price for this miss late in extra time when Monaghan substitute Jack Jackouslie rose highest to head goalwards and the ball sneaked in between post and a defender. But Dunree held their nerve in the shootout with keeper  Doherty the hero of the day.


Aileach Res 1      (  Aileach win 4-2   on pens)

The point dominated the opening period of this game and the only surprise was they were only one goal ahead at the interval.  On 3 minutes Stephen McKendry s cross found Darragh McDermott but he failed to hit the target from twelve yards. They took the lead on 7 minutes when Josh Boyle advanced on the right and saw his shot deflect past  Sean McGuinness in the Aileach goal. David Healy then fired just over before McDermott was narrowly wide with a free kick. Aileach responded and almost levelled when a Paddy Curran corner was headed goalwards by James Wallace but cleared off the line by Shay Lynch. The point had the final chance of the half when Boyle had a close range effort well saved low to his right by McGuinness. The home side started the second half well with McDermott seeing a shot saved  by McGuinness before Boyle was unlucky to see another effort crash off the base of the post. Aileach replied then with  David  Ryan breaking the offside trap but seeing his  shot well saved by the advancing Oisin Burke. They did get back on terms on 66 minutes when after a scramble the ball broke to Kyle McCann who fired low to the corner through a crowd of players. The home side laid siege to the visitors goal in the closing stages with McDermott seeing one effort go over, another saved and Aaron Scott heading into the side netting. On 81 minutes Ross Nicholas then had a free tipped over by McGuinness before Sean McIntyre headed over following a corner which saw extra time needed. The point had the only chance in extra time but again McGuinness was in the right place to deny McDermott and the point will feel that this was an opportunity  missed given the amount of chances they had as Aileach advance in the shootout.


Carn Res 1

Lagan Harps 3

Carn got the first chance on 7 mins when Shane McGuinness broke on the left wing and crossed it for JJ McDaid who laid it off to Girts Dzerins who shot high to the left and wide from 15 yards. Lagan Harps then  broke the deadlock on 14 minutes after Ross Hamilton broke on the right  and squared it for Ryan Tyrell who turned and shot to the bottom right corner of the net from inside the 18 yard box. Lagan harps nearly doubled their lead on 24 minutes when Ross Hamlin  released Joshua Hayes on the left  and he passed the defender and crossed it for Ryan Kildea whose effort from outside the area  hit the post and wide. Carn went close  on 35 minutes when Shane McGuinness passed to Conor McLaughlin who  failed to hit the target when well placed  15 yards out . Lagan harps doubled their lead four minutes after half time when a Ryan Turner corner from the right found Ryan Kildea unmarked and he tapped it in low to the right corner of the net From 10 yards. Carn nearly pulled one back on 67 minutes when Girts Dzerins played Matthew Lafferty  through but he again failed to hit the target. Lagan made it three nil  on 77 minutes after  a Kieran Cunningham free kick from about 30 yards on the left found Joshua Hayes on the edge of the 6 yard box and he drilled it high to the left corner of the net from outside the six yard box. Carn got a consolation goal in the last minute of injury time when a Dzerins pass from midfield found sub Luke White who went one on one with their keeper Jason Quinn and rounded him to slot into the empty net.


Arranmore United 1-1 Rasheney FC

Arranmore win 5.4 on pens

Hesitancy in the visiting defence saw the first real opening fall to Brian Proctor but his shot from 14 yards was dealt with by Greg Doherty. Rasheney’s Cormac Dillon then made a run along the right but his angled drive found the side net. Almost immediately Dillon created an opening when he glanced a header forward into the path of David Mc Laughlin who ran clear through the centre and found himself beyond the home defence in a one on one with the advancing Ben Boyle but the keeper managed to save the day for his team with a great claim. Mid way through the half Arranmore broke the deadlock. Most of their attacks were coming along the left flank and from one of the deliveries into the centre the ball was only partially cleared out to Glen O’ Donnell and he hooked a shot into the top left hand corner of the net giving Doherty no chance. The lead lasted until the 37th minute when David Mc Laughlin, under pressure from pursuing defenders made it all the way to the byeline and his excellent low cross was turned home by Dillon from close in. The same two players combined again shortly afterwards but this time Dillon’s attempt – a first timed effort from a Mc Laughlin downward header was claimed by Boyle. As weather conditions worsened, the home side sought to move ahead again prior to the break but Proctor’s long range shot fizzed over. And it was Proctor who was to the fore again early in the second half but the combined efforts of Peter Doherty and John Mc Laughlin at the heart of the Rasheney defence combined to thwart the forward as he surged into the area. Then a defence splitting pass designed to set up either Proctor or sub Sean Mc Cauley advancing in at speed from both wings was hacked away by the alert Conor Mc Daid. The final half hour of the game saw Arranmore pinned back inside their own half but Rasheney were unable to find the net with numerous shots being blocked as they continued to have the upper hand. On 75 minutes they came closest when after being set up by David Mc Laughlin Damien Friel’s shot from outside the box smacked off the crossbar and came back into play before being cleared. Chances continued to fall the way of the visitors. Friel’s long range free was gathered by Boyle at the second attempt and the keeper was unable to claim an inswinging Friel corner but John Mc Laughlin at the back post was unable to capitalise. Another corner was not dealt properly by Boyle but no Rasheney forward could force the ball home and as full time approached both Dillon and Declan Mc Laughlin had shots saved.

When the game moved to extra time Declan Mc Laughlin miskicked completely when very well placed in front of goal but made amends later as his mazy run saw him sidestep three defenders in succession and get away a blistering shot which Boyle brilliantly tipped away for a corner. The home side did manage a few openings in extra time. Proctor benefitted from a fortunate richochet but fired over when well placed and the same player say his free deflected off a wall after Ruan Reynolds had been brought down outside the area. And so the game moved to penalties with Arranmore prevailing on a 5 – 4 scoreline while Rasheney were left to rue their failure to find a cutting edge.

Buncrana Hearts  Res 5

Kilmacrennan Celtic Res 1

The Hearts started well and both Stephen McHugh and  Gerard Boyle failing to hit the target when well placed. They did break the deadlock on 15 minutes when a superb Sean McLaughlin cross was headed home by Boyle from twelve yards.  Minutes later Donald O Doherty flashed a header just wide from McHughs free kick. The visitors responded and Philip Buchanan shot narrowly past the post when well placed inside the area.The home side increased their lead on 20 minutes after Boyle flicked the ball over Mallon in the Kilmacrennan goal when McHugh had sent him clear. Kilmacrennan reduced the deficit before the break after Buchanan sent Oran McBride the wrong way  from a penalty kick. After a slow start to the second period the hearts increased their advantage on 65 minutes when Mc Hugh despatched a free kick past mallon from the edge of the area. Boyle completed his hat trick converting from close range after the visitors failed to clear. The same player added his fourth and his sides fifth when he headed home an excellent Eoin McNamee cross. 


Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Moville Celtic 0

Buncrana Hearts 3

In the 12th minute Buncrana had their first opportunity after a poor Moville clearance allowed Declan Fullerton to put Kieran McDaid through on goal but his shot from eight yards was well blocked by the feet of outrushing home keeper Semus Houghton. Moville replied with quick interplay between Michael McNaught and Conor Doherty but Doherty’s effort lacked power and was easily held by Buncrana net minder Eoin Doherty. The visitors took the lead minutes later when McDaid found himself unmarked in the Moville area and he headed in Mikey Friel’s cross from six yards. Buncrana had further chances to extend their lead, firstly a Friel shot from a quickly taken free kick and another McDaid free header but Houghton saved well on both occasions. In the 32nd minute Norbert Indyka’s diagonal pass freed McNaught but his shot was wild and off target. Indyka then had his goal bound shot headed clear by Calvin Gallagher seconds before the break.

Minutes after the restart Buncrana doubled their lead after McDaid robbed a Moville defender and his square ball was tapped in at the far post by Eoin Murphy. Moville tried to respond with Conor Doherty putting McNaught in on goal but his 20-yard effort was parried on to the cross bar by Doherty. McNaught then had a quick turn and shot in the Buncrana box but again Doherty denied him and was also on hand to block Indyka’s follow up. In the 64th minute Doherty saved Conor Doherty’s 22-yard drive with Oisin McElhinney’s return blocked by a Buncrana defender. Mikey Friel later had an effort for the visitors but his 14-yard shot was wide of the post when he was well placed. Buncrana wrapped things up in the dying moments when McDaid ran across the Moville area only for his shot to be blocked but the resulting clearance was poor finding Ryan Doherty who lashed the ball home via the underside of the crossbar.


Aileach FC 3

Greencastle FC 0

Aileach were first to threaten on 10minutes when after a right wing cross was headed clear  Shane McMonagle arriving late fired just wide of keepers post from edge of box. Minutes later Thomas McMonagle found Aaron Nash wide  on the right and  he crossed for Darren McMonagle at the back post but the angle was too tight and his effort was off target . When  a Greencastle free kick was cleared to the edge of the box the return ball found Nigel McMonagle on the edge of the 6 yard area but his flick was just wide of McLaughlins left hand post. Midway through the half  the home side took the lead when a short corner was half cleared to Caolan Doherty who fired the ball low across the box and Mark McElhinney controlled on the 6 yard box before swivelling and firing high past Quigley to the roof of the net. On 32 minutes Nigel Mc Monagle got clear down the left and made his way into the box and pulled the ball back invitingly but none of his teammates read his intention and the ball was cleared.  Aileach ‘s Thomas Mc Monagle had to be withdrawn through injury at half time and Greencastle began to get a good foothold in midfield and had the home side under intense pressure forcing several corners in succession but the Aileach rearguard always managed to get an interception before a clear cut chance appeared. On 65 minutes the Greencastle pressure finally paid dividends when a scramble in the box resulted in referee Warren Harvey awarding a penalty. Michael Barr stepped up but Darragh Mc Laughlin pulled off a super save low to his right hand side. From the resulting corner the ball was squared for Jamie McCormick who fired a great strike from 25 yards which McLaughlin somehow managed to get a hand to and turn over the bar. With Greencastle pressing for the equaliser there was always gaps for Aileach to exploit and on 80 minutes one such break Caomhin Mc Feeley crossed the ball from the right and Shane Mc Monagle arrived in the 6 yard area  and fired goalwards, Quigley did well to parry his effort but the rebound fell to Gavin Doherty who  finished from close range. With time running out a long clearance by Dean Curran was latched onto by Aaron Nash who drove towards goal and was taken down for a penalty which Caolan Doherty converted to finish the scoring. Greencastle will feel hard done by not getting anything from this encounter especially with their second half display but the home side rode their luck at times but defended stoutly throughout to claim an important 3 points.

Illies Celtic 4

Carn FC 0

 There were few chances in the first half with the home side having the better number of chances but Carn probably having the best chance. Illies were first to show when Adrian Donaghey-Doherty headed straight at Kyle Harkin when well placed Carn replied and when Cade Cooke broke into the area on the right he fired across goal and past the far post. Illies upped the tempo and Donaghery-Doherty, Dominick Doherty and Liam Doherty were all off target with efforts.On the stroke of half time Illies took the lead when Liam Doherty curled a stunning free over the wall and into the top corner from twenty yards. Illies increased their lead ten minutes into the second half after Paul Doherty converted a penalty awarded  for a handball.  Carn replied and created a good chance but Cade Cooke fired wide when well placed. They spurned a great chance to get back into the game then after Cooke was upended in the area but Christopher Divers effort was  saved by Johnathan Noone. Illies sealed the points on 77 minutes when a deep Nathan Doherty corner was steered home by Paddy Doherty at the back post. They added a fourth when Liam Doherty found Paul Doherty who cut the ball back for substitute Matthew Green to slot home from twelve yards.

Cockhill Youths 2

Glengad United 4

Glengad United continued their recent good form with a 4-2 away victory over Cockhill Celtic Youth at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds earlier today. In a match played in excellent conditions it was Glengad who opened the scoring on 8 minutes when Terence Doherty got his head to a free from Seamus Doherty wide on the left to direct the ball into the far corner from 8 yards out past Eoin Colhoun in the home net. Cockhill responded and on 15 minutes were level. Eoin Colhoun kicked long and Jack McDaid chased the ball to the by-line before picking out the run from Conor Allen who volleyed the ball right footed to the net past Daniel Mullarkey from 15yards out giving the keeper no chance. Glengad reclaimed the lead on 37 minutes when  Terance Doherty found space in the box again to glance another header to the net from 10 yards after a quality Doherty delivery. Cockhill had two glorious chances to get on terms before the break when firstly Jack McDaid made a mazy run through the middle and outpaced the Glengad rear-guard only to shoot wide of Mullarkey’s left hand post when well placed. Another big chance arrived on 43 minutes when Cockhill broke from a Glengad corner and found themselves three v one  at the halfway line only an over hit forward pass forced Adam McLaughlin wide and the cross from McLaughlin was cleared by the covering Matthew Byrne with McDaid ready to pounce.

The second period was only 4 minutes old when Glengad struck for their third, Stephen McLaughlin got on the end of a through ball by John McDaid down the right and eased a defender out of the way before cutting inside and shooting low past Colhoun from six yards. Cockhill received a lifeline back into the game on 60 minutes when the referee awarded a penalty for handball against the experienced John Gerard McLaughlin and Daniel Doherty took the penalty to shoot high right footed to the left corner of the net giving the keeper Mullarkey no chance. Glengad reclaimed the two-goal cushion on 80 minutes when Joe Doherty advanced on goal to shoot low past Colhoun from 12 yards after a pass from James McKinney. Cockhill pushed right to the end and had a couple of Adam McLaughlin efforts flash past the visitor’s goal but nothing to trouble Mullarkey. The visitors it is who head home to the Crua with the points.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Aileach Youth 2

Clonmany Youth 6

The home side hit the woodwork four times in the opening half and will  wonder how they failed to run the visitors closer with the chances they had.  Daibidh  Grant was unlucky to see an early shot bounce back off the post before being cleared by the visitors defence on 5 minutes.  But a defensive mix up minutes later allowed Darragh harkin to fire past Ryan Fox in the home goal. Aileach spurned a gilt edged chance then when Grant had a penalty saved by Killian McCarron after Gerard McKinney had been upended before minutes later a Kevin Wallace snapshot clipped the post and went wide. But the visitors increased their lead after Fox misjudged the flight of the ball allowing Alex Mclaughlin to slot home before Harkin out paced the home defence and finished well to make it three nil on 27minutes.Aileach did get a goal back before the break after a Grant shot came off the post again but this time Benny Hegarty was on hand  to steer the rebound home.Five minutes after the restart  Clonmany made it four one when Aaron Friel converted from close range after great approach play by Harkin.  At the other end Aileach reduced the deficit again when a corner was cleared back to Grant and his cross cum shot deceived all and landed in the net. With Aileach pressing they were always liable to be caught on the break and Harkin used his pace to race clear and finish low past Fox to make it five two  and complete his hat trick. They then added a sixth with a well struck Tiernan McDonald effort which took a deflection on its way past Fox and saw them record their first league win of the season.