Match Reports Sunday 31st March


Ulster Junior Shield Semi Final

Milford Res                          0

Cockhill Youth                    3

Cockhill Celtic Youth advanced to the final of the Ulster Shield with a comfortable 3-0 away win at Milford United Reserves on Saturday afternoon last.

Milford took a while to settle but had a few half chances inside the first 20 minutes but did little to trouble Kyle Dougal in the Cockhill net.  Cockhill started to move the ball quicker in the closing stages of the first period and put the home side under serious. The visitors broke the deadlock on the stroke of half-time when a ball down the left channel found Mark McDaid who squared it across the six yard for a simple finish by Michael Noone coming in at the back post .Straight from the kick-off in the second half it was 2-0, the ball was worked out wide and Adam McLaughlin sent a delivery to the back post for Darragh McDermott to head past the home keeper Barry Gallagher from 8 yards. Cockhills captain Shaun Donaghey then missed a penalty for Cockhill on 65 minutes after a rash challenge from Milford captain Lorcan Friel left referee Liam Mclaughlin no choice. Mark McDaid sealed the win for Cockhill on 78 minutes when he broke clear from a Milford attack to break and round keeper Gallagher for an easy finish


Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Carn FC                                 1

Buncrana Hearts               3



Buncrana broke the deadlock on 7 minutes when a long pass from Gary Duffy found John Timlin who in turn  released Darach O’Connor on the left wing and he rounded the defender and shot low to the bottom right corner of the net from 12 yards. Hearts nearly doubled their lead two minutes later when James Adair passed to Michael Coyle on the right wing and rounded the defender but  shot high  and wide from inside the 18 yard box. Carn nearly equalized on 24 minutes when a Michael McDermott pass from midfield found Shane Doherty on the right wing and crossed for Dermot Doherty who failed to hit the target from 10 yards. Buncrana doubled their lead on 38 minutes when Darrach O’Connor’s looping header was brilliantly clawed away by Fergal Doherty but when Michael Coyle laid the ball back to the edge of the area Gerard Boyle hammered a brilliant strike to the far corner. Carn nearly pulled one back on 42 minutes when Girts Dzerins passed to Cade Cooke on the right wing and he  found Brandon Browne who shot high and wide from 20 yards. Carn got the first chance of the second half on 50 minutes when Michael McDermott squared made a long pass for Dzerins he went one on one with hearts keeper Eoghan O’Doherty but shot low to the right and wide. Carn finally pulled one back on 55 minutes after a Cade Cooke corner from the right found Christy Doherty who shot low to the bottom left of the net from six yards. On 69 minutes Buncrana responded with  O’Connor  breaking on the right wing and crossed for James Quigley who failed to it the target when well placed. On 84 minutes the home side went close  when Christy McDaid’s  long pass up the right wing found Brandon Browne who squared it for sub Tiernan Coyne  whose low effort was parried away by O’Doherty.  Hearts wrapped it up two minutes into injury time when O’Connor broke on the left wing and rounded the defender and squared it for Aaron McDaid who slotted the ball pass Fergal Doherty to the centre of the net from 15 yards.



Greencastle FC                  4

Illies Celtic                          0

Greencastle made it twelve league wins from twelve when and started well with Illies keeper Johnathan Noone making a fine double save to deny Nigel McMonagle in the 6th minute. Matthew Henry then fired wide before McMonagle again drew a good save from Noone. Greencastle continued on top and Jamie McCormick fired over from twenty five yards. The pressure told on 33 minutes when Eamon Donnelly fed Ciaran Moore who slid the ball into McMonagle and after brilliant control he drilled a left footed effort low past Noone. Illies started the second period  better and a dangerous Liam Doherty cross was well claimed by Dylan Doherty before Gavin Doherty flashed a free kick narrowly wide. But the home side responded and with Henry  firing wide and McCormick seeing one shot go over and another saved by Noone. They increased their lead on 65 minutes after Stephen Grant won possession and fed McMonagle who outpaced a defender before cutting in and drilling a superb shot past Noone. They added a third on 73 minutes with Shaun Doherty feeding Michael Barr who squared for Michael Henry to slot home. Christy hegarty then had a shot blocked by the overworked  Illies defence. Greencastle completed the scoring when substitute Conor Gillen fed Shaun Doherty who turned and unleashed a brilliant effort to the top corner from twenty five yards. Illies pressed to the end and a late Adrian Donaghey Doherty effort was deflected over.

Strand Hotel  Division One     

Dunree United       2

QPS                            1

Dunree caused a mini upset when they came from behind here to claim the points against third placed QPS. The Point got a dream start when they opened the scoring on 5 minutes after John McCloskey collected a poor defensive header and hit a stunning volley to the top corner past Philip Doherty. Midway through the half McCloskey turned smartly and saw his shot parried away at full stretch by Doherty. Dunree responded on 39 minutes and a Bernie Doherty snapshot flew just over the bar. Dunree levelled within minutes of the restart  after Philip McGuinness broke away on the left and fired  high past Brian McColgan in the point goal. Minutes later they took the lead when Caolan McBride pounded on a loose ball twenty five yards out and with the outside of his boot fired a stunning shot to the top corner. Midway through the half Bernie Doherty well placed saw his effort saved by the legs of McColgan. The visitors pushed forward in the closing stages but the closest they came was when McCloskey headed wide at the back post.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup  1/4 Final

Clonmany Shamrocks      5

Aileach FC                3

Aileach got a dream start to this game in the opening minute when Gavin Doherty jinked past three defenders and slotted low past Patrick Harkin from fifteen yards. Clonmany responded with Oisin Hession feeding Jason Devlin but his effort was blocked by a defender. Midway through the half Clonmany got back on terms after Ferghal Harkin advanced from midfield and fed Devlin who fire high past David McGeady from fifteen yards. At the other end Dermot Doherty headed over following a corner while on the stroke of half time Devlin fired narrowly over from the edge of the area. Clonmany started the second half the better and took the lead when Jake Harkin found Steve Harkin inside the area and he fired home from five yards. Jason Devlin then got on the end of a Brendan Doherty cross but fired wide  before Devlin raced through the middle of the Aileach defence and fired  past David McGeady to make it three one. But Aileach hit back and Thomas McMacken fired home in a crowded goal mouth from ten yards to make it three two. They equalised then on 72 minutes when Keith McColgan crept in at the back post to slot home  from close range. Clonmany regrouped and regained the lead when Doherty ‘s cross found Jake Harkin who played a neat one two with Hession before firing low past McGeady. They sealed their path to the semi finals when substitute Alex McFadden raced clear and finished clamly to make the final score five three.

Hannon Greene Fr O’Gara Cup        

Moville Celtic         6

Illies Res                  0

Moville had the early chances with McNaught and Indyka but failed to register. McNaught was denied in the 21st minute with a fine block by defender Frank O’ Connor allowing Illies keeper Callaghan to gather. Callaghan was at full stretch moments later to prevent Indyka’s downward header from 8 yards. The home side took the lead in the 34th minute when a pass forward was turned into the Illies goal by an unfortunate defender.

Moville made it two nil early into the second half when substitute Caolan Doherty received the ball from Ryan McLaughlin near the edge of the area before drilling a shot low into the far corner. In the 55th minute it was three to the home side after some great one touch build up play involving Conor Lafferty, Ryan McLaughlin, Finn McLaughlin and Caolan Doherty. Doherty’s flick to Norbert Indyka  allowed the forward to curl past Callaghan from 20 yards. After Illies Sean Devlin attempted from distance Moville broke setting McNaught free down the right from where his cross was swept home by Lafferty from 10 yards to make it four nil. Callaghan produced a fine near post save from Nathan Harkin minutes later but Moville got their fifth in the 79th minute via a Lafferty lob from Ryan McLaughlin’s pass. The final goal came in the 83rd minute when Nathan Harkin’s goal bound effort took a deflection and left the keeper stranded.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A    

Aileach Youth         3

QPS Res                    2

Both teams started this game in tepid fashion with very little goalmouth action.  Aaron Doherty for Aileach had a snapshot saved by Kevin Wallace in the QPS goal.  At the other end Chris O’Donnell had a shot easily saved by Ryan Fox.  QPS took the lead on the half hour when Josh McConnelogue fired a free kick from 25 yards into the bottom corner of the net.  They doubled their lead before the break when a corner was only half cleared to Oisin Burke who fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.  Aileach made a few tactical changes at the break and that made a huge impact in the second half.  On the hour they pulled a goal back when Darren Bradley raced down the line and crossed for Ryan Wilson to volley home from six yards. Ten minutes later, Aileach pulled level when following a short corner, Stephen Doherty beat two men and crossed to the back post where Damien Barr volleyed into the corner. On 75  minutes, Aileach got what turned out to be the decisive goal when Benny Hegarty released Stephen Doherty who lifted the ball over the onrushing Wallace and into the net.  QPS pressed hard for an equaliser but found William O’Donnell, Ryan Doherty & Matthew McDermott too difficult to pass.

Moville Res             4

Redcastle Res        3

Moville dominated the first hour of this game and looked to be in total  control when they led by four goals to nil but Redcastle rallied to reduce the deficit and make the final minutes uncomfortable for the home side. After Danny Murphy was upended in the 12th minute Pearse Doherty converted the spot kick past Michael McCole. A superb Conor Canning pass then released Murphy who raced clear and drilled low past McCole to leave it two nil at the break. Pearse Doherty converted an excellent cross from Matthew McLaughlin in the 50th minute. Minutes later it looked all over after Canning again found Murphy who turned sharply and fired  a half volley to the net. On the hour mark the visitors got one back when Ronan Hoy fired home after a defensive error giving Maurice McGeady no chance. On 71 minutes Hoy raced past three defenders into the area and drilled low past McGeady. Then with seven minutes remaining  Brendan Murphy slotted home after being unmarked from a corner to reduce the deficit to the minimum. But try as they might the home side saw the game out to claim the  points.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B     

Carn Res                               2

Dunree Res                         1

Carn got the first chance on 5 minutes when a James Monagle pass  found Paul Stevens who crossed for Ryan O’Donnell but he failed to hit the target from ten yards. Dunree broke the deadlock on 9 minutes after a pass from Bryce Fullerton down the right wing found Neil Moran who rounded the defender and shot low to the right corner of the net from 15 yards. Dunree nearly doubled their lead on 20 minutes when Kieran Lynch made a run on the left and  crossed for Neil Moran who shot  wide from 10 yards. Carn nearly equalized on 25 minutes with a long pass from John Downes  to Kyle Cooke who played it for Conor Doherty but he fired wide from eight yards. Carn got their equalizer on 27 minutes after a  Ryan O’Donnell pass from midfield found Conor Doherty who rounded the defender and drove a powerful shot which deflected off Paul Stevens into the bottom corner of the net from outside the 18 yard box. Carn nearly went ahead on 38 minutes after Conor Doherty  found Kyle Cooke who rounded the defender and laid it off for Ryan O’Donnell but his effort was parried away by Ryan Fitzpatrick in the Dunree goal.  Carn had another chance on 57 minutes when  John Downes fed Conor doherty on the right wing and he rounded the defender  but his effort was well tidied up by Fitzpatrick. Carn got another chance to take the lead on 68 minutes with Kyle Cooke’s pass from midfield finding Ryan O’Donnell who laid it off for James Monagle but he shot over the bar from 10 yards. Carn got the winner on 82 minutes when  Niall McGuinness released Ryan O’Donnell on the left wing and his diagonal pass picked out  Conor Doherty who shot low past Fitzpatrick from 10 yards. Dunree put on the pressure and on 88 minutes they had a chance to equalize when a Marty McDermott pass found OJ Cuffe but he fired wide when well placed.

Carrowmena  FC                2

Cockhill Res                        5

The game was played in beautiful conditions at The Warren, Carrowmena. Cockhill started the brighter of the two sides and went ahead after 15 minutes when Mark Gillespie sent in a dangerous cross from the left hand side and Andrew McLaughlin’s sliding clearance looped over Brian Houghton in the home nets leaving the keeper no chance.Cockhill’s second came 5 minutes later after the ball broke from a scramble in the home defence to present the ball to Mark Gillespie who had the simple task of sliding the ball into the empty net. They went three up on 30 minutes after Damien Friel picked up a loose ball in midfield and sent Paddy McLaughlin through to finish well. Carrowmena got one back before half time when Finbar McCallion struck home from a corner. Carrowmena started brightly in the second half and looked to get back into the game. They got back to within a goal when Samuel Bredin finished smartly under Ciaran Sharkey in the visitors nets from a Gerard Gill cross from the left. Carrowmena pushed to get back on terms but it was Cockhill who stretched their advantage to 4-2 with Mark McDaid getting in the scoring  to calm any nerves with the visitors. And it was made 5-2 in the closing stages after a good ball from Cian Downey on the left releasing Mark Gillespie who showed great composure to finish from the left hand side to finish the game as a contest.

Culdaff Res                          1

Rasheney Res                     2

In beautiful conditions at Caratra Park Culdaff ‘s title hopes all but vanished when for the second time at this venue they fell to Rasheney. Niall McLaughlin had an early chance for the home side but his lob was too high and failed to trouble Roger McGilloway.  Then Rasheney broke the deadlock midway through the half after John McLaughlin raced onto Marius Noone’s pass and drilled low past Martin McLaughlin on the edge of the area. Culdaff equalised from the penalty spot after Jack McLaughlin was upended with Damien Duffy firing low to McGilloways left. A deft flick by Niall McLaughlin then released Jack McLaughlin on the left but his well struck shot flashed past the far post. Rasheney had two chances then after Trevor Doherty’s cross found the unmarked John McLaughlin whose header clipped the outside of the post before Tiernan McDonald fired wide from distance. Culdaff had the final chance of the half on the stroke of half time when Ben Curley got in behind the visitors defence but his shot was blocked by the legs of McGilloway. Culdaff had the majority of the chances in the second half with Duffy playing  superb ball into Niall McLaughlin inside the area but again McGilloway blocked. They sent close on the hour mark when Matt McDaid’s effort from twenty yards crashed off the bar before the unmarked McDaid failed to get enough on his header after a superb Jack Mclaughlin cross picked him out. On 86 minutes the home defence failed to clear and after John McLaughlin’s initial effort was saved  the rebound fell kindly for him to slot home. Culdaff tried to reply and when Michael McFadden played a ball over the top substitute Darren Mullarkey saw his effort saved by McGilloway at his right hand post. With Culdaff pushing hard Rasheney broke and Charlie Doherty’s right wing cross was  headed narrowly wide by John McLaughlin.