Match Reports Sunday 30th April

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

TUESDAY 25th   April

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A  

Illies  Res 1

Carn Res 2

In good conditions on Tuesday evening Carn started the game well with  Mark Scott seeing one effort saved by William McLaughlin before the same player head over from a corner.

  But the home side settled and shocked the visitors in the 32nd minute after a Shane Devlin corner to the back post was headed home by Paddy Doherty past Daniel McDaid. Carn started the second half with all the possession and  both Cormac McLaughlin and Scott were denied by good saves by McLaughlin. The visitors equalised in the 71st minute after a scramble in the home penalty area the ball fell to Daire Tully who slammed it home. Illies responded and created a good chance after Paddy Doherty puled the ball back to the edge of the area to Liam O Connor who fired over when he really should have hit the target. Carn pressed forward in the final minutes and were rewarded on the stroke of full time when following a corner the ball broke to the edge of the area where Tully fired low through a crowd of players to the net.

Saturday    29th  April

Ulster Junior Cup  Final Maginn Park  

Aileach FC 1

Buncrana Hearts 2

A downpour from the heavens ten minutes before the start of the game ensured the ball whizzed around Maginn Park in this keenly contested Ulster Junior cup final before a good crowd on Saturday evening. Aileach elected to defend deep and concede possession and territory to the holders and this tactic worked for a long period of the game. The first chance came to the Hearts in the 17th minute when Kieran McDaid found space on the right hand side of the area but his strike was blocked behind by Thomas McMonagle the Aileach captain. Ten minutes later a corner broke to Ryan Doherty whose well hit left footed effort was also blocked. Aileach broke in the 35th minute after an Aaron Nash cross from the left found the outstretched boot of Caoimhin McFeely  whose close rnage effort was deflected over the bar for a corner.Minutes later at the other end great work by McDaid along the left touchline saw him pick out Calvin Gallagher whose  effort from the edge of the area cannoned off a defender. A defensive slip in the Buncrana defence on 55 minutes allowed Darren McMonagle to race clear on the right but from a tight angle he dragged his effort across goal and past the far post. The crucial break through arrived in the 78th minute after a left wing cross from james Adair enticed keeper Matthew Gallagher to try and claim it but the ball broke to substitute Matty Brown who controlled and fired  to the net from twelve yards.  The old adage  that you are never more vulnerable than when you just scored almost came to roost from the kick off when Nash broke on the left and crossed for substitute Dermot Doherty whose first time effort was blocked by the legs of Rory Kelly. Aileach did get back on terms in the 83rd minute after Nash spread the ball out to Doherty on the right and he squared the ball across for McMonagle whohit a stunning effort to the top right hand corner from fourteen yards giving Kelly no chance. With extra time looming Buncrana pounced in the final minute. Kieran McDaid collected a throw in on the right and lifted the ball towards  substitute John Timlin who headed the ball back for McDaid to evade a tackle and drill a  low cross across the face of goal where Brown pounced from point blank range to force the ball over the line.  Aileach tried desperately to reply but  Buncrana saw it  out to retain the Ulster Junior Cup.

Buncrana Hearts Ulster Junior Cup Winners

Man Of The Match

For the runners up Thomas McMonagle, Denver Kelly and Darren Gallagher were immense while for the winners Ryan Doherty and Paul McDermott were very solid. But the award goes to Kieran Mc Daid who always looked the most likely to penetrate Aileachs deep lying defensive block and so it proved in the final minute. 


Sunday   30th  April

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Culdaff  Res

Carn Res

Carn got off to a great start when they scored in the 10th minute after a Cormac McLaughlin corner was headed past Zach Conlon by Ciaran O Kane. They continued on top with Daytan Cooke seeing an effort saved  before Dylan Cooke s thirty yards effort clipped the bar. The home side had a gpod chance before the break when Michael McCarron raced clear of the visitors defence but was denied  by the advancing keeper Daniel McDaid. As in the first half Carn added an early goal when Mark Scott chested the ball back for Christy Doherty to fire low to the bottom corner from the edge of the area. At the other end a Euan McFeely effort was well tipped over by the alert McDaid. But Carn made it three nil on the hour mark when good work by McLaughlin saw his cross slotted home by Dayton Cooke. Culdaff rallied and got a goal back after a Matt McDaid cross was parried  by the Carn custodian allowing Ben Curley to pounce and drill home. Any notions of a comeback were quickly dispelled and Kyran Cantwell scored with a superb chip before the same player turned provider for Nathan McConalogue to slot past Conlon and make it five one. Culdaff stuck at it and  got a goal back when Peter Doherty converted a penalty in the 85th minute after Niall Gordon was fouled in the area.

Sea Rovers 0

Rashenny 3

Rovers dominated the best part of the first half with a couple of chances  in the first half an hour falling to  Keelan Doherty and Declan Mc Gonagle  both  failing to trouble the Rasheeny keeper . Rashenny kept at it and before the break  were very unlucky  after  Damien Friel saw his shot go just wide of the post. From the whistle  on the restart Rashenny pressed and when Rovers failed to clear David Mc Laughlin tapped in from close range  to open the scoring in the 49th minute. Shortly later Caylum Long for Rashenny got space just outside the Rovers Box and his shot went beyond Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin . Rovers pressed hard but were caught on the counter attack when a long ball to Rashennys Cormac Dillon who took it down well and shot low past Mark Mc Laughlin to make the final score three nil and ensure promotion to the first division next season.

Cockhill Res 2

Moville Res 4

Cockhill started this game very well, dominating the early stages.Shots from Shane McLaughlin, Marc Doherty and Liam Bradley were all well saved by Moville keeper, Ryan Coyle.However it was the visitors who took the lead on 20 minutes with their first real chance.  Norbert Indyka got in behind the Cockhill defence and his cross was turned in at the back post by Roan Doherty.

Moville got a big lift from that opening goal and doubled their lead shortly after. The Cockhill defence allowed a deep free to bounce in the box and Norbert Indyka showed good strength to hold off a challenge and head the ball home past the stranded Darragh O’Donnell. Moville made it three then  with their next chance on the counter. Although Cockhill dealt with the initial attack and cleared their lines, Declan Lynch hit the breaking ball from 30 yards that flew in to the net with no chance for Cockhill keeper Darragh O’Donnell. Cockhill found themselves harshly four down just before half time as Moville proved clinical with all the opportunities that came their way.  Declan Lynch getting his second of the match with a first time finish from twelve yards after good work by Andrew Burke down the flank. Despite the scoreline Cockhill still had plenty opportunities to get on the scoresheet and were rewarded for all their first half pressure after a handball in the box by a Moville defender saw Connor McDaid make no mistake from the spot to reduce the arrears on the stroke of half time. The second half started similar to the first with Cockhill pressing forward but Moville defended well and Ryan Coyle was proving hard to beat. Cockhill’s Marc Doherty almost scored but saw a great effort from the edge of the box go narrowly wide as Cockhill pressed hard for a second. Ryan Coyle then produced another great save this time at point blank range from Cockhill’s Shane McLaughlin. Cockhill eventually got a second goal from the penalty spot again. Cahir McDaid did well to play Dean O’Donnell through and he was fouled as he turned to shoot.  Liam Bradley stepped up this time and sent Ryan Coyle the wrong way to make it four two . Cockhill continued to press but Moville managed to see the game out for a good win in an entertaining game between the two young sides.


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

Dunree Res 2

Aileach Youths 3

The home side  had the first chance  of the game when a Jerry Farrell attempted chip from the edge of the area sailed just over the bar. Good work by the  visitors at the other end saw Darren Bradley finish superbly past Philip Doherty to open the scoring. But Dunree got back on terms midway through the half after a Ryan Toland cross was finished first time to the bottom corner by Farrell from twelve yards. Aileach then regained the lead after the home defence  failed to clear the ball and in the scramble Bradley struck for his  second goal of the game. Again Dunree rallied and  equalised in the 42nd minute when after a succession of corners Cian Moran whipped the ball in for David Eccles  to head home at the back post. Defences were on top for the opening period of the second half but the visitors took the lead for the third time in the 66th minute when Bradley ‘s  effort was cleared off the line but Shea Cuffe reacted  first to slot home. Dunree pressed in the latter stages with Farrell and Eoin Bradley both denied by good saves from Dylan Clarke as the visitors took the points.


Rashenny Res 0

QPS took a big step nearer to winning the league title with this five nil win over Rashenny.They got a perfect start when they took the lead in the second minute after a Jason McCallion through ball released  Cillian McEleney and he finished well  past McGilloway from the edge of the area. John McCluskey was then denied by a good save before the homeside made it two nil after an Oisin McIntyre cross was converted at the back post  by McEleney. Ross Nicholas then added a third in the 33rd minute firing low into the bottom corner before the same player was then denied by another good save . Before the break McEleney completed his hat trick to put the home side in control and four nil ahead at the break. There was less action in the second half  but the home side added a fifth goal when a corner by Aaron Scott broke to Jay Friars  who rifled to the bottom corner from twenty yards. The final chance came in the 78th minute after Nicholas carved open the visitors defence for Daniel Mcmenamin to  run  clear but his effort crashed off the post.