Match Reports Sunday 2nd October

Sunday 2nd October  

Ulster Junior Shield Preliminary Round 

Sea Rovers 1

Moville Res 3

Moville started this game the better and Conor Lafferty had an early attempt just off target before they took the lead on 8 minutes.Rowan

Doherty  advanced from midfield and unleashed a twenty five yards effort in off the post past Michael McLaughlin. Rovers replied with a Conor McGeoghaghan free  drifting just wide before they were unlucky to see a Ciaran Doherty effort crash off the bar. On the stroke of half time a lone range Doherty effort just skimmed the crossbar. Moville had an early chance in the second half but Danny Murphy  failed to apply the finshing touch when well placed. They did increase their lead on 58 minutes when Murphy finished neatly from twelve yards with his left foot. Conor Lafferty then made it three nil from the penalty spot before the home side scored a late consolation goal through Ciaran Doherty. Rovers had the final attempt on goal as well but Andrew  Gallagher was  denied by the Moville custodian.

Glengad Res 2

Lagan Harps 3

The visitors started well with a lot of possession and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 20 minutes when Josh Hay crossed from the left for Damien Neilly to cushion a header in off the post past Patrick McLaughlin. But Glengad levelled before the break with Caolan McColgan bursting through the middle before laying the ball of to Jamie McDevitt to control and fire low to the corner. But Lagan regained the lead minutes after the break when Hay s low corner to the edge of the area found Joe McCarron to fire low to the corner. Glengad in fairness rallied and Cian Doherty was denied by a good save. With Glengad pushing  Lagan caught them on the break when Matthew Davy evaded a tackle and finished well to the roof of the net. Glengad rallied   and again reduced the deficit to the minimum after a Paul McGonagle cross was flicked home at the near post by PJ McDaid. Glengad pushed hard in a bid to force extra time but the Lagan defence held firm.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Illies Celtic 1

Aileach FC 6

Illies  began well and took the lead on 10 minutes when Liam Doherty sent Brendan Doherty away on the right and his deep cross found Sean McCallion to fire past Matthew Gallagher from sixteen yards. Aileach replied and Gavin Doherty shot poorly at William McLaughlin when well placed.Illies hit back and when Liam Doherty turned well on the edge of the area he failed to hit the target when well placed.  The visitors then equalised when Gavin Doherty threaded a ball through the home defence for Shane McMonagle  to finish well from twelve yards. A mix up in the home defence before the  break saw substitute  Darren McMonagle cross for Jack Doherty to calmly lift the ball over McLaughlin  from ten yards. Illies went close on the stroke of half time when a Paul Doherty effort was well tipped over by Gallagher. Aileach upped the pace on the resumption and went three one up when Ethan Canning crossed for Aaron Nash to volley to the roof of the net. A minute later Shane McMoangle fed Nash who lifted the ball over the advancing Mclaughlin. At the other end McCallion delivered a superb cross but there were no takers. Aileach made it five when Nash crossed for Darren McMonagle to a lot home. In a similar move Nash broke in the final minute and crossed for Darren Bradley to slot home.

Greencastle FC 4

Culdaff FC 0

Swithced to Caratra Park the home side had the first chance after a Ryan Greene header was punched out as far as Aiden Cunningham whose snapshot was blocked by a defender. Greencastle responded in the 21st minute after a superb Brenan  Moore cross found Nigel McMonagle and when his volley was brilliantly parried by  Martin McLaughlin the follow up from McMonagle came back off the post. Greencastle eventually broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute when  McMonagle latched  onto  a Nathan Harkin pass and finished  brilliantly to the bottom corner from twelve yards. Greencastle upped the tempo on the restart and made it two nil when the home defence failed to clear and when James Henrys effort was well parried by Mclaughlin the loose ball fell to McMonagle to tap home . Minutes later  good work by Nathan Harkin  saw him pick out Henry who fired left footed to the corner. Culdaff kept battling and Michael Coyle had an effort from just inside the area rise over the bar. But Greencastle hit back and scored a fourth when  James Henry lobbed the ball over the home defence for McMonagle to finish superbly with a chip to the top corner giving McLaughlin no chance.

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Cockhill Youths 2

 Cockhill had the first chance when  Oisin Crawford broke forward  and unleashed an effort which was well held by Gavin McLaughlin. But  Clonmany got the upper hand and had penalty claims waved away before Aaron Porter crossed for Pearse McCarron whose angled header drifted narrowly wide. Shane McCaul then went past two Cockhilld defenders and was unlucky to see his effort crash off the base of the post to Porter who blazed the rebound over.  Cockhill broke from this and from a corner the home defence failed to clear and Darragh McDermott slotted home. McDermott then  had a header from another corner cleared off the line by Brendan Doherty as the half ended.  Play swung from end to end on the restart with McDermott seeing an effort blocked by McLaughlin in the home goal before just failing to get on the end of a Killian O Rourke cross. The home side saw an effort from McCarron parried by  Eoin Colhoun who recovered well to block Jason Devlins follow up . They were unlucky then on 54 minutes when Porter  broke into the area and poked past the advancing Colhoun but saw his effort rebound off the post. They did get back on terms then when   McCaul slipped the ball into McCarron who held off a defender and clipped the ball over Colhoun and in off the post.  But Cockhill struck for the crucial winner when  the home side lost possession in midfield and McDermott advanced to fire low to the corner from inside the area. Conor Graham then had a shot come off the post before Eoin McLaughlin had an effort tipped over as the visitors looked to put the game to bed. Clonmany  threw everything forward late on and Jason Devlin was denied by Colhoun before substitute Aaron Harkin got on the end of McCarrons flick on but saw his half volley fly over.


Buncrana Hearts 2

Moville Celtic 1

In a good game at Castle Park things were cagey enough in the first half with the home side starting the  better. Christy McKinley  fed Matty Browne who drifted past a defender  but  saw his effort saved by Stephen Teles on 7 minutes. Moville responded with a Paul Smith free capably dealt with by Rory Kelly.  On 21 minutes the home side created a clear chance  after great work by Kieran McDaid ended with a pull back to McKinley who blazed over from ten yards. They did take the lead on the half hour  when Adam Curran  slipped a ball into the channel to McDaid who fed Sean MUllan and he swivelled before firing past Teles  from ten yards.  Buncrana started the second half on top with McKinley breaking from midfield and feeding Mullan  who delayed  his shot and Teles saved well. They increased their advantage on 56 minutes after  superb hold up play by Mullan ended with a lay off to Browne who fired low to the corner from twelve yards. Moville tried to reply  and Smith fired over the bar from distance. Buncrana should have put the gaem to bed then but Mullan firstly had an effort blocked by the legs of Teles before racing onto McKinleys pass and lobbing over the bar. Moville set up a nervy finish for the home side on 87 minutes when Jake Morrow despatched a twenty yards free around the wall and into the bottom corner but the home side held firm for a deserved win.

Strand Hotel First  Division  

Carn FC 1


This was a very tight affair throughout with defences on top and a lot of the play in the midfield area. The crucial moment came in the 35th minute when Kyran Cantwell got on the end of an Adam Mclaughlin cross at the back post to head past Oisin Burke from five yards. After an even opening to the second period the point went close when John McCloskey raced onto a Josh Boyle pass but was denied by the legs of the advancing Ben Miller.Carn responded and Brandon Browne poked the ball wide from a tight angle on 82minutes. The visitors threw everything at the home defence but in a quick break Carn substitute Darragh Deery had an effort blocked by a defender.


Gleneely Colts 0

Aileach Res 4

Gleneely began well with  good build up  play between Shay Harkin and Paul Toner finding Manus Doherty who fired narrowly wide. Darragh O Connor was then just off target before a Corey O Brien effort was well saved by David McGeady. Aileach responded and Anthony   Doherty released     Shane Bradley   but he failed to hit the target. On the stroke of half time the visitors took the lead when  Cathal McElhinney    fed    Stephen Doherty  to fire low to the corner. Aileach were on top for the second half and increased their lead  from the penalty spot after Anthony Doherty converted. On 61 minutes a quick counter attack ended with  Gareth Mclaughlin firing past the advancing Oran Raymond to make it three nil. They completed the scoring on 75 minutes after a ricochet in the area fell to Anthony Doherty who finished well to the bottom left hand corner.

Clonmany Res 0

Dunree United   3

Clonmany had the opening chance in the sixth minute when Brian Doherty curled an effort from fifteen yards just past the post .Dunree responded and a mazy Mark Moran run was stopped at the expense of a corner by Logan McDaid. From the corner kick Tommy Mulhern saw his header well saved by Kieran Friel. Mulherb then went close and was unlucky to see an effort from the edge of the area crash off the bar. The visitors opened the scoring on 29 minutes when Moran ,despite seemingly well marshalled on the left side of the area , dropped his shoulder and superbly chipped Friel in off the underside of the bar. Clonmany  hit back and a Mark Doherty cross found Brian Doherty whose effort rebounded off the bar.  Minutes later an inswinging Mark Doherty corner was turned over his own bar by keeper Adam Harrigan. Before the interval the visitors increased their lead with Moran drifting past a couple of challenges with good control before shooting left footed in off Friels right hand post. Clonmany started the second half well  with a Paul McLaughlin free going through the defensive wall but just past the post . Then Brian Doherty ran onto a long ball but was denied by the advancing Harrigan. At the other end  Conor Barrett unleashed a low twenty five yards effort which Friel saved low to his right. The home side spurned a gilt edged chance on 71 minutes after Brian Doherty was upended inside the area but Raymond McDaids spot kick was well saved diving to  his right by Harrigan. Dunree finished strongly with Bernie Doherty firing over the bar before Moran completed his hat trick when he pounced on a defensive  mix up to tap home.

Redcastle United

Greencastle Youths

Redcastle began this game in the ascendancy with Josh McConalogue seeing a shot saved by  Evan Davenport before  Darragh McConway raced clear onto a Shaun Curran through ball but fired wide. Good play then  by Grant found McConalogue  but he fired wide. Greencastle responded midway through the half when a long clearance from Davenport bounced over the home defence for Ronan Doherty but his header was saved by Michael McCole. The visitors took the lead then after Josh Lafferty found Kyle Harkin who fired to the top corner from the edge of the area. On the stroke of half time Redcastle went close with Cahir McLaughlin crossing for McConway whose first time effort was well saved by Davenport. Greencastle got a dream start to the second half when a Harkin free kick was poked home by Doherty.  Within minutes they added another after Christy Hegarty was upended inside the area and Harkin converted the spot kick. Redcastle kept battling and got a goal back on 83 minutes when McConway found space inside the area and drilled a low shot  past Davenport to the  bottom corner.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    

Carrowmena FC 0

Rasheney FC 3

Rasheney had the lions share of possession but found chances hard to come by against a resolute  home defence. On 28 minutes  a Damien Friel free kick found Ronan Shovlin  who miscued his header when very well placed. Michael Noone in the home goal handled  all crosses and everything into the home area with the  home side defending stoutly. But Rasheney  took the lead in the opening minute of the second half  after  Shane Cregan crossed for Caelum Long and the ball broke to David McLaughlin who poked home from close range in a crowded area.  The visitors increased their lead on 63 minutes when John Grant fed  David McLaughlin and  he squared the ball across for Ronan Shovlin to fire low past Noone from ten yards. On 75 minutes substitute Ryan Doherty was denied by a brilliant one handed save from Noone from his ferocious first time strike from eight yards. Rasheney completed the scoring in the final minute when Long played the ball through for David Mclaughlin whose effort was well parried by Noone  but Grant whipped the loose ball in for substitute Cormac Dillon to tap home.

Redcastle Res 0


After an even opening period the visitors got on top and broke the deadlock on 18 minutes when Ross Nicholas broke on the right and crossed for Cillian McElhinney  to sidefoot home from ten yards. They increased their lead before the break following a corner when the ball fell nicely for Brian McColgan to fire low to the corner from ten yards. The home side started the second  half well but  failed to breach the visitors defence. QPS then sealed the tie after a scramble in the home penalty area McColgan slotted home his second of the game. They added a  fourth late on after Ultan McCool pounced  on a back pass to finish well.

Dunree Res 2

Carn Res 3

Carn continued their unbeaten start to the season with this hard fought win at St Egneys Park on Sunday morning. They began well and took an eighth minute lead when Christy Doherty headed home  a Dayton Cooke corner. Cooke then played a superb pass through the home defence for Shay Fallon to run onto  and slot  home past Philip Doherty to double their advantage.  Dunree rallied and reduced the deficit when  Gerry Farrell laid the ball off to Mickey Grant to wwasfire into the top corner. They had another chance  with Michael Farrell releasing Gerry Farrell but he fired just past the post. On 37 minutes a defensive mix up in the visitors area fell to Grant but his effort cannoned off the post. On the stroke of half time another Cooke corner at the other end was met by Doherty but his header crashed off the post also. Dunree had the first chance of the second period but Gerry Farrell s effort was well saved by Kyle Harkin . The home side equalised then midway through the half when a corner fell to Ryan  Toland who acrobatically fired past Harkin in the carn goal. Defences were on top then until the 80th minute when the visitors grabbed the winner after a slip in the home defence allowed Fallon to race clear and round keeper Doherty to finish to the net.

Illies Res 0

Culdaff Res 1

Illies had the first chance of the game on 14 minutes when Nathan Mclaughlin found Ronan Hegarty inside the area but he fired straight at Dermot  Callaghan in the visitors goal. Culdaff got a foothold in the game midway through the half and after a superb  Conor Doherty cross Niall Gordon headed over the bar. They took the lead before the break when a corner broke to Eugene McLaughlin who from a tight angle fired to the roof of the net past Kieran Sharkey. The home side had most of the pressure in the second half and were out of luck on a couple of occasions. Firstly Liam O Connor pounced on a clearance from a corner but his well hit drive clipped the bar on the way over. Hegarty then advance into the area and slipped the ball past the advancing Callaghan but Peter Doherty cleared off the line before substitute Alan Fletcher saw a snapshot tipped onto the bar by Callaghan. Their final chance came when Gavin Doherty advanced on the left and flashed a dangerous cross across the area but there were no takers.