Match Reports Sunday 29th September

Sunday 29th    September    

FAI Junior Cup

Kildrum Tigers                            4

Clonmany Shamrocks                  2

Kildrum took an early lead in this  tie when Gary Crossan sent the ball across from the right for Damien Crossan to slot past Patrick Harkin from close range.

Clonmany responded well to this setback with Mark McLaughlin bringing a good save from Michael Lynch. They levelled matters on the half hour after Shane McCaul fed Jason Devlin on the right and his low cross was flicked to the roof of the net by McLaughlin. McLaughlin was then again denied by Lynch before Devlin fired wide. Poor defending then cost the visitors when Gary Crossan nipped in front of two defenders to poke the ball past Harkin  after Odhran McMackens cross. Clonmany went close on the stroke of half time then with Alex McFadden feeding Devlin whose effort from the edge of the area was superbly tipped over by Lynch. Clonmany got back on terms when Oisin Hession converted a penalty on 48 minutes after McLaughlin was fouled in the area. This seemed to spur the home side on  and William Lynch restored their lead when he headed home a Gary Crossan cross. A quickly taken corner then midway through the half to substitute Kevin Mc Hugh saw his ball in behind the shamrocks defence  find the inrushing Lynch to drill past Harkin. With Clonmany pushing late on the home side broke after McHugh released Mcmacken and his dangerous cross was cleared by Hession.

Glenea United                    3         

Culdaff FC                            4      AET

Culdaff started well and Michael Coyle headed wide before Conor Doherty was denied by a superb save from Joe Coll in the home goal.Glenea then took the  lead on 28 minutes after a defensive slip allowed Mick Barry in to fire past Darragh McLaughlin. Culdaff replied and equalised before the interval after good work by Aiden Cunningham saw his cross slotted home  at the back post by Coyle. Glenea had the first chance of the second half when Barry was denied by a superb save McLaughlin. Culdaff replied and Darren McLarkey had a goalbound effort well tipped over by Coll.Glenea regained the lead on 62 minutes when Barry was left unmarked at the back post to head home from a free kick. Culdaff levelled again late on after a Barry Fitzpatrick header from a corner came off the bar to Eugene McLaughlin who stabbed  home from close range. In extra time Culdaff took the lead two minutes in after Conor Keddy fed Aiden Cunningham and he drilled low past Coll from the edge of the area. But Glenea got back on terms before the end of the half with Barry completing his hat trick. With the game edging close to a penalty shootout Culdaff won it in the last minute when a Damien Duffy cross found Conor Keddy at the back post and he scored with a brilliant finish over Coll to the top corner.

Greencastle FC                  1         

Illies Celtic                          0

The home side had most of the possession in the opening half with James Henry firing over before Nigel McMonagle was off target with one shot and saw another deflected wide. Illies replied and Paul Doherty fired over from twenty five yards before in a quick break Gavin Doherty was denied by a good save from Dylan Doherty. Henry then flicked the ball on for McMonagle whose attempted lob drifted over. The home side took the lead on 36minutes after a Conor Gillen effort came off the post but Ronan Doherty fired the rebound to the top corner from close range. Illies had the last chance of the half when Paul Doherty fired narrowly wide. Greencastle started well on the resumption with Gill firing a free wide before McMonagle was denied by a good save from Johnathan Noone. Illies had a good spell then with James McGonagle’s header cleared by a defender before he broke clear but Dylan Doherty advanced to smother at his feet. In a similar situation on 68 minutes Shane Doherty for the visitors got clear of the home defence but again Doherty advanced to save.Greencastle substitute Jason Dickson made an immediate impact finding McMonagle  but Noone tipped his effort round the post. Christy Hegarty fired over the bar then before Gill was denied by Noone as the home side advanced.

Keadue Rovers                   1

Cockhill Celtic Youths      2

Cockhill Celtic Youth advanced to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup thanks to a narrow 2-1 victory over Keadue Rovers FC at Central Park, Keadue . The home side started well and aided by a slight breeze they had David Ward busy and inventive in midfield plus Adam Neely in attack who proved a real handful for the visitors through the game. Neely had the first chance on 12 minutes when his left footed effort from outside the box was well pushed away at full stretch by Cockhills keeper Liam McGonagle diving to his right. The resulting corner was cleared by Michael Noone. Neely tested McGonagle again on 25 minutes when his right footed free from the corner of the 18 yard box was gathered at the second attempt, by McGonagle, down low at his left-hand post. Cockhill had a few half chances in the first period but both Mark McDaid & Darragh McDermott failed to trouble Danny Rodgers in the home goal. Rodgers proved a useful weapon for the home side with his long kicks from both the hands and the ground as the always tried  to get Neely in down the  sides. The home team went in front on 38 minutes when David Ward played a ball into the left channel and as a Keadue player looked offside the referee waved play on as the left back advanced from deep to hit a delightful strike from the corner of the 18 yard box low across McGonagle into the keepers bottom left hand corner. The home side went in 1-0 up at the break.

Cockhill played more on the front foot early in the second period and started to pass the ball much faster to get players in better positions higher up the pitch. Cockhill levelled matters on 60 minutes when Mark McDaid, after receiving a short pass from Bradley Callaghan, shot low into the bottom left hand corner past the outstretched right hand of keeper Rodgers from the edge of the 18 yard box. Cockhill sensed another goal and a great run by Conor Allen saw him go down in the box under a challenge but the referee waved away the loud appeals from the visitors. Cockhill did go in front shortly afterwards; with 6 minutes remaining they were awarded a corner from the left and Keegan Hegarty delivered a great ball deep into the area for Odhran O’Brien-Daly to power a bullet headed into the top corner giving the keeper no chance from 16 yards out. Keadue had strong appeals for a penalty on 90 minutes but the referee again gave nothing and Cockhill Youths held firm to advance to the next round.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division       

Moville Celtic         1        

Aileach FC                2

Moville had a chance in the early minutes with a Caolan Doherty shot at the near post saved by Aileach keeper Kyle Dougal after Jack McConnellogue’s forceful run into the area. The home side survived intense pressure when Tommy McMonagle headed off the crossbar only for keeper Houghton to block Denim McLaughlin’s follow up with Jack McConnellogue blocking Gavin Doherty’s rebound shot on the line. In the 19th minute Houghton brilliantly saved Denim McLaughlin’s penalty after Anthony Doherty was bundled over in the box. Moville took the league in the 28th minute through Caolan Doherty after he fired past Dougal from a narrow angle at the near post after receiving the pass from McConnellogue. Aileach tried to reply with Darren McMonagle but his long range effort was well held by Houghton. A fine passing move in the 40th minute from Marc Bell and Norbert Indyka set Doherty into the box only for his shot to rebound off the post and into Dougal’s arms. Aileach equalised in the last minute of the first half after pressure resulted in the ball deflecting into the path of Ethan Canning who fired from the angle of the area low into the far corner of the net.

Early in the second half Aileach had chances with Anthony Doherty and Gavin Doherty both heading wide when well placed. The visitors took the lead in the 56th minute after Darren Gallagher’s cross from the touchline was only cleared to Gareth McGlynn at the edge of the area who let fly into the top corner of the Moville goal. Dougal later was out quickly to deny Caolan Doherty while at the other end substitute Lee McColgan blocked a goal bound effort from Tommy McMonagle. Cathal McElhinney headed Doherty’s powerful drive clear in the 73rd minute while Dougal came out quickly to save from Doherty after he was sent clear from an Aileach mistake. In the 90th minute Houghton saved Darren McMonagle’s low drive from inside the area while sub Keith McColgan headed over in the dying seconds.

Strand Hotel First  Division

Aileach Res             2         

QPS                           1

​​​​​The opening twenty minutes saw QPS in the ascendency but they failed to create any clear opportunities.  Aileach grew more into the game after this but the game remained a midfield battle.  QPS came closest to scoring on the half hour when a corner from the right was flicked goalwards by Caolan Harkin where it bounced of the bar before being cleared. Aileach took the lead minutes later when a Shane McMonagle corner was headed into the bottom corner past Oisin Burke in the QPS goal  by Paddy Curran.  On 40 minutes, Aileach almost made it two when James Wallace crossed deep to the back post where ShaneMcMonagle volleyed goalwards but Burke saved well.  Aileach started brightly in the second half with Paddy Curran and Stephen Doherty keeping the QPS defence on their toes.  Caolan McColgan’s pace was causing problems at the other end with Ciaran Bradley having to advance from his line on a couple of occasions to get their before the QPS striker.  Aileach almost put the game to bed on 70 minutes when Paddy Curran raced down the right wing and pulled the ball back into the path of Killian O’Rourke whose shot from the edge of the box struck the base of the post with Burke beaten. Aileach came close again minutes later when Curran got clear and shot against the crossbar.  Aileach got their second with five minutes to go when a Curran crossed wasn’t properly cleared and Jordan McGeady slotted the ball into the bottom corner.  In injury time, McColgan raced onto a McKendry through ball and was upended in the box which resulted in a penalty and a second yellow for Paul McCrudden.  Lee Barr tucked the penalty into the bottom corner just past Ciaran Bradleys outstretched hand.  QPS pushed for an equaliser in the final minutes but couldn’t find a way past the Aileach rearguard.

Gleneely Colts                   2

Greencastle Res                3

On 11 minutes Greencastle ‘s Adam Harkin had a 30 yard rocket that was saved by Adrian Duffy’s fingertips in the home goal. Gleneely opened the scoring after 21 minutes when a 24 yard shot by Stephen McLaughlin was blocked in the Greencastle penalty area and dropped to the feet of Paul Gamble who slotted it home from six yards. Greencastle equalized  minutes later when miscommunication in the Gleneely penalty area allowed Andrew Peoples to head passed the stranded Adrian Duffy . On 35 minutes Gleneely went ahead again when  Paul Gamble got his second with an 18 yard shot straight into the bottom corner. Five  minutes into the second half Greencastle equalized again with some good link up play down their right wing and Andrew peoples tapped his second into an open net from 6six yards. On 60 minutes Greencastle took the lead with Andrew Peoples completing his hat-trick. With 5 minutes remaining, Gleneelys  Nathan McLaughlin had a chance to equalize the game when he hit the side netting with close range volley from Dylan McDaid’s cross .The ball then went up the pitch by Greencastle and Adrian Duffy made a great save to deny David Walker.

Rasheney  FC                      3

Redcastle United              4

Rasheney took an early lead in this clash after Charlie Doherty laid the ball off for Shane Cregan whose sweetly struck effort flew past Michael McCole. Redcastle equalised on 16 minutes when a great cross from Drew McKinney found Ronan Hoy to fire past Roger McGilloway from twelve yards. Rasheney responded and Doherty had a close range effort palmed away by McCole. The visitors took the lead on 35 minutes when great play from McKinney ended with Hoy firing past McGilloway from ten yards. McKinney then spurned a  great chance after he intercepted a defensive pass and raced  clear but fired wide. On the stroke of half time  they made it three one with substitute Evan Craigs dipping shot crashing off the post and hitting the keeper before going into the net. Rasheney exploded into action on the restart with Paddy McGilloway unleashed a stunning twenty five yards effort to the roof of the net on 46 minutes. Minutes later they were level after a Charlie Doherty driven free kick deflected off a defender on its way to the net. Redcastle tried to respond with McKinney denied by a smothering save from McGilloway before Jack Ferry fired over.At the other end Cormac Dillon sent Cregan clear but McCole advance to kick the ball away   then Adam Kirkland saw his effort shave the bar. When McKinney broke through the home defence  and bore down on goal McGilloway advanced to  block well. The visitors snatched the winner on 81 minutes when after a Cathal Crumlish effort was blocked  Brendan  Murphy hammered the loose ball to the roof of the net and clinched a first league win of the season.

Glengad Res                                    1

Dunree United                   0

Dunree dominated the opening half and only  superb display from Michael McLaughlin in the home goal kept the game scoreless at the break. Liam Baldrick fired just over after an early coner before the same player saw a twenty five yards effort well saved. Thomas Mulhern then had a free header superbly saved before a Lee Sean Doherty effort took a deflection but McLaughlin reacted superbly to gather. Glengad came more into the game before the break with Paul McDermott and Gary Kelly both seeing efforts saved by Sean Parker.Glengad started the second half on top with Nathan McConalogue curling an effort inches wide on 52 minutes. Four minutes later they took the lead when a long Ruairi Doherty clearance was misjudged by a defender allowing McDermott to lob Parker from the edge of the area. Parker then made a fine double save to deny Brian Doherty before McDermott saw an effort crash back off the post. Dunree had a late chance after substitute Matthew Doherty saw his header from a corner brilliantly saved by McLaughlin.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Carn Res                               1

Clonmany Celtic                5

The visitors took the lead on 21 minutes when Raymnd McDaid converted a penalty after Ronan Donegan was fouled in the area. John Doherty then added a second with a superb chip from twenty five yards over Jack Nelson. Carn came more into the game with Dion Diver dangerous but they were dealt a blow when Declan McGonagle  collected a second yellow card. From the resultant free kick Dessie Doherty despatched the ball low to the corner to make the half time score three nil. Early in the second half Brian Doherty nipped in in front of Nelson to head home the fourth. Carn rallied and got a goal back on 59minutes after  Mark Scott unleashed a twenty five yards effort to the net. But Karol Harkin scored from another free kick to seal the win.

Culdaff Res              2

Moville Res             3

Played on Friday night under the lights Culdaff got a dream start when Cathal McGrenaghan dispossessed a defender and found Aiden Cunningham to drill low past Maurice McGeady. On 12 minutes Cunningham won possession twenty yards out and fired a crisp low effort past McGeady to double their lead. Midway through the half good work by Ben Curley and Cunningham found Damien Duffy but his effort was well saved. Moville responded on the half hour with Michael Grimley dragging an effort across goal and just wide. They got a goal back before the break after Michael McNaught advanced on the left and squared for Grimley to slot home. Culdaff had the first chance of the second period when Paul Mills sent Cunningham clear but a heavy touch allowed McGeady to smother. Moville equalised on 71 minutes after a diagonal ball from McNaught found Joshua Gillen in behind the home defence and he controlled before firing high past Martin McLaughlin. Moville completed the recovery on 78minutes with the home defence appealing for offside Grimley advanced and drilled low past McLaughlin. Culdaff pressed in the closing stages with both Duffy and Dermot Diver firing efforts just over the bar.

Carrowmena FC                 3

Rasheney Res                     2         

The home side started well with Declan McGuinness seeing an effort crash off the bar before Samuel Bredin went close with a free kick. But against the run of play the visitors took the led on 20 minutes after a poor clearance rebounded off Rian Diver into the net. Rasheney then doubled their lead when  the home defence failed to deal with a long ball allowing Brendan Grant to capitalise and drill past Mark Doherty. Carrowmena rallied and McGuinness fired just wide before the same player got on the end of an Evan McDermott pass to drill past Roger McGilloway on 35minutes. Within a minute they were level when Gerard Gills right wing cross found McGuinness who sidestepped a defender and slotted high to the top corner. On the stroke of half time McGilloway parried an Andrew McLaughlin  free but Gill fired the rebound wide. The home side took the lead on 58minutes after McGuinness headed home Gills cross to complete his hat trick. There were no chances in the remainder of the game with both defences on top.

Aileach Yths                        1

Dunree Res                         1

In a scrappy encounter there were few chances in the game. Gareth McLaughlin for the home side saw an early snapshot well saved by Philip Doherty in the Dunree goal. The home side took the lead midway through the half after Benny Hegarty hooked the ball over his shoulder to the bottom corner from twelve yards. Dunree started the second half well with Peter O’Neill seeing a header saved by Ryan Fox before Neil Moran saw his effort deflected onto the bar and over. They equalised on 77minutes when substitute Eoin Coombes ran onto a ball over the top to fire past Fox. Aileach upped the tempo in the closing stages but the closest they came was a William O’Donnell effort which deflected off a defender and over.

Donegal Signs Shield Round One  

Clonmany Res                    2

Cockhill Res                         7

Cockhill started well with Shay McLaughlin cutting in from the left and seeing his effort well saved by Tiernan Doherty. Bu they opened the scoring on 9 minutes when Ryan Downey released Kevin McDaid and he kept his composure to slot low past the advancing Doherty. McLaughlin then hit the post before at the other end Mark Kelly saw an effort saved by Sean Friel. Cockhill doubled their lead on 16 minutes when McLaughlin beat a defender to advance and slot low past Doherty. Clonmany got a goal back minutes later when Kelly drove the ball to the net after the visitors defence had failed to clear a corner. But two goals in a five minute spell from John Grant, both superb finishes , saw Cockhill race into a four one lead. Clonmany got another goal back before the interval when Sean McCarron crossed for Kelly whose effort took a slight deflection on its way past Friel. Two minutes into the second period Cockhill increased their lead after when Downey’s cross found McLaughlin who looped a header over Doherty. Grant then completed his hat trick when he raced clear onto Cian Downey’s pass to fire home. Grant made it seven two when Downey split the  home defence and he ran clear to slot home.In the latter stages David McGonigle for the home side fired wide before at the other end substitute Paul Duffy saw his effort from twelve yards clip the bar.