Match Reports Sunday 29th October

Friday 27th October

Strand Hotel First Division

Culdaff 6-0 Dunree

This game was played in dry breezy conditions at Caratra on Friday evening under lights. Culdaff front duo Benny Fildara and Jack O Brien secured the victory with a hat rick each .

The game began at a hectic pace with defences on top. Culdaff had the first chance as Jack O Brien curled his shot just off target in the 10th minute. Dunree responded and a great cross field ball from  Sean McColgan was well controlled by Liam Baldrick and he advanced into the box only to see his low shot saved by the feet of Patrick McLaughlin. Culdaff opened the scoring in the 24th minute as Keith Norris passed inside to Brendan Fildara and he curled a great shot past Harrigan from 18 yards out. Dunree exerted some pressure on the Culdaff defence with Bernie Doherty crossing to Kyle Barret and he was denied by Ryan Green at the back post. From the resultant corner Keith Norris headed off the  goal line. Culdaff had further efforts on goal by McFeely, O Brien and Brendan Fildara but Harrigan did well to keep Dunree in the game as half time approached. Culdaff dominated the second half with several chances created before O Brien powered an unstoppable shot to the net from 20 yards out in the 59th minute. Substitute Darragh McCormick released Fildara in the box and he produced some brilliant individual skill to out smart a defender and place a low shot past Harrigan. Jack O Brien added a forth goal as he toe poked to the net from five yards out after good work by Michael Coyle. The same player completed his hatrick as he reacted smartly to slot home Thomas O Brien’s parried free kick off Harrigan. On the stroke of full time Benny Fildara got his second hatrick in consecutive games as he side footed to the top corner of the net from 18 yards out.

Brendan Fildara and Jack O’ Brien with hatrick’s against Dunree

Culdaff F.C.

Dunree United

Saturday 28th October
Inishowen Engineering Division Two
Moville 3 – 2 Illies
Moville started brightly with Norbert Indyka making a run down the right hand side in the 1st minute but his pull back from the touch line was narrowly touched wide by Colin Doherty. In the 3rd minute the ball was crossed from the left but Colin Doherty’s diving headed flew well wide. In the 10th minute Moville won a free kick on the edge of the box. Andrew McCarron struck it well and it slipped through the keepers fingers for 1-0. 22nd Minute Illies attacked and Nathan McLaughlin shot from outside the box but his effort went over the bar. Intensity of the game dropped until the 39th minute when Deaglan Lynch burst from defence before playing the ball to Norbert Indyka who fired into the top corner from outside the box. Illies started the second half much better and Deaglan Brown saw a 47th minute shot saved by Vernon Kelly. Then in the 51st Shane Devlin picked it up just inside the box and finished well firing across the goal past Kelly. In the 53rd minute Luke McFadden picked the ball up out on the left and cut inside hitting a fierce shot from outside the box which crashed off the inside of the post but amazingly did not go in. Not much action then until the 84th minute when Luke McFadden got the ball out left and whipped in a great cross.  Marcus Rule came in at the back post meeting it first time to fire into the bottom corner for 3-1. Illies rallied though and in the 91st they got a free kick on the edge of the box.  Connor Doherty fired it in.  Kelly in nets couldn’t hold it and it slipped in 3-2. Illies threw everything at it to try and get the equaliser but Moville held on to take all 3 points.

Sunday 29th October

Ulster Junior Cup
Letterkenny Rovers 6-0 Clonmany Shamrocks
Played on Rovers AstroTurf pitch , Clonmany created the first real chance in the seventh minute when Aaron Porter controlled a long ball on the left wing and drove into the box before crossing to Jason Devlin who saw his shot saved at full stretch by Mark McGinley. Rovers first chance came in the 12th minute after Adrian Delap passed to Nathan Plumb on the left wing and he cut into the box before shooting low but his shot was held at the near post by Liam McGonigle. Rovers took the lead in the 22nd minute when a throw in on the right of midfield sent Zach Gorman through and as he strode into the box he shot low across the goal to find the bottom left hand corner of the Clonmany net. Two minutes later they almost doubled their lead when Joel Gormans speculative shot from 28 yards skimmed off the top of the Clonmany crossbar with Liam McGonigle watching on.Clonmany went close to an equaliser in the 30th minute when Matthew Brennan’s corner from the left was met by Jason Devlin’s glancing header but the ball drifted wide of the back post. With half-time approaching Clonmany midfielder Morgan Murray received the ball in space on the left side of the box and crossed to Shane McCaul on the right hand edge of the box but Shane’s shot was safely held by Mark McGinley . Half-time Letterkenny Rovers 1 Clonmany Shamrocks 0.
The second half was all one way traffic as Rovers made a change after 50 minutes which seemed to change the match. They brought off the ineffective Gabby Abduka upfront and in his place came  Lee McMonagle. Rovers doubled their advantage in the 55th minute when Nathan Plumb was on hand to force the ball into the net from 4 yards out despite the efforts of Liam McGonigle and Gareth Bradley to keep the shot out. Rovers scored their third goal in the 68th minute their right back Leon Doherty got to the byline and crossed into the box and Lee McMonagle’s run caught Clonmany standing and he clinically side-footed home low to the left of the Clonmany goal giving Liam McGonigle no chance.
Clonmany’s heads seemed to drop after that goal and Rovers kept up their pressure and scored their fourth in the 78th minute. They were awarded a free kick 8 yards inside the Clonmany half , to the left of the centre circle and Joel Gormans curling free kick to the top right hand corner seemed to catch Liam McGonigle unawares despite his effort from a similar distance in the first half. Rovers added a fifth just two minutes later when Nathan Plumb broke down the left onto a long clearance and squared for Lee McMonagle to slot home his second.  Rovers wrapped up the scoring in the 89th minute with Zach Gorman’s low cross from the right being swept home from 10yards out by Lee McMonagle to seal a 6-0 victory and wrap up his 40 minute cameo with a hat-trick.
Full-time: Letterkenny Rovers 6 Clonmany Shamrocks 0

Glengad Utd        6

Monaghan Utd    1

Glengad got of to a dream start and scored after 30 seconds. Christy Fildara winning th ball and playing Joe Doherty who fired low past Dara Croakin from ten yards. Glengad then had another chance on the 20th minute. This time Caolan mc Colgan and Joe Doherty combined with Doherty shooting from 18yards just off target. .Monaghan then got back into the game on 25 minutes when winger Anatolii Benher cut in from the right and fired a super effort to the top corner from 18 yards. Glengad then regained the lead on 35 minutes when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the 18. Up stepped Christy Fildara and fired low to the bottom corner. Glengad were in control at this stage and had 2 good chances to increase their lead before half time. Patrick Mc Dermott found Matthew Mooney but his shot was well saved by Croakin in the Monaghan goal .Two minutes later Mooney fired wide when we’ll placed. Glengad made it 3-1 on 50th minute. Joe Doherty with a super effort lobbed the keeper from 25 yards. Glengad made it 4-1 on 60 minutes. Mc Dermott broke on the right and crossed for Mooney to head home from 8 yards. Joe Doherty then completed his hatrick on 75 minutes –  firing home from inside the box after good work by Seamus Doherty. Monaghan had a chance on 80 minutes when Benher fired to the side net from 12 yards. Glengad then scored their 6th when Christy Fildara broke through the Monaghan defence to fire low to bottom corner on 85 minutes to give Glengad the win and advance into the next round of the cup.

Gweedore Celtic 0-6 Buncrana Hearts
Keadue Rovers 0-4 Illies Celtic
An understrength Illies side made the long journey to Burtonport but lost out 4-0 to Keadue.  They went 1 down on 8 minutes when a Peter McGee cross was slotted home by Aaron Ward. Illies then had two free kicks both well saved by the keeper Bonner from Liam Doherty and Shaun McCallion. The home side scored again on 28 minutes when Chris Green tapped home an Aidan Brennan cross. On 50 minutes Shaun McCallion had a shot saved by Bonner. A few minutes later Illies conceded again when a corner was headed to the net by Martin Ferry and on 57 minutes Peter McGee made it 4 after a mix up in the Illies defence. Illies then had 2 good chances but Bonner saved well from McCallion and Michael Doherty

Strand Hotel First Division

Buncrana 5-0 Clonmay

played in windy conditions this game started with both teams playing some very good football, Buncrana had the first chance of the game when Aaron Cleary made a superb pass to Liam Jordan on the left who the chipped the ball into the box, it took a deflection of of a defender towards goal, it took a very good save from Cillien McCarron to keep the ball out of his goal, Buncrana then started to dominate the game with first half goal from Eoin McName, Bart Wesolowski, & Liam Jordan, the second half start very much the way the first half ended with quick goals again from Bart Wesoloski & Eoin McName the rest of the second half saw some good football from Clonmay but Buncrana looked comfortable in possession for the remainder of the match from

Cockhill Youths 1-3 Aileach

The away side was first to threaten when from two dead ball deliveries from Adam McLaughlin, Ryan McDaid headed just over while the second was narrowly wide. Mid way through the half David McGeady made a great save from McLaughlin with Mark Doherty unable to capitalise on the rebound. On the stroke of half time the visitors moved ahead when Doherty headed home from 6 yards when Kevin Boyle delivered a cross to the back post. Aileach threatened again in the opening minutes of the second half when Boyle got on the end of a through ball and advanced in on goal but Darragh O’Donnell made a good save. On 55 minutes a cross into the Cockhill defence was cleared out as far as Gavin Doherty and he fired to the roof of the net to double his side’s lead. Keeper O’Donnell was called into action again with a great double save when he prevented Aileach moving further ahead. When play swung to the other end McGeady made an excellent save from an Oisin Crawford attempt and the home side should have scored but Liam Bradley was out of luck when he latched onto a Keegan Hegarty through ball. Cockhill did manage to pull one back when Bradley found the net on 70 minutes. Aileach struck for their third when Gavin Doherty fed Boyle and he finished past O’Donnell. 

Rashenney 0-5 Carn Reserves

The visitors had the upper hand for the greater part of the match and deservedly emerged with all 3 points. They took the lead on the quarter hour mark. Mark Scott flicked on a header inside the area and Cormac McLaughlin was able to shoot to the corner of the net. A few minutes later the lead was doubled when a clearance out of the Rasheney defence fell to Dylan Cooks outside the box and he rifled powerfully home for a 2 – 0 scoreline. Rasheney enjoyed their best period of the game in the opening period of the second half. They came close when Cormac Dillon’s cross fell to Damien Friel and he brought a good save from netminder Kyle Harkin at the expense of a corner. Mid way through the half, Carndonagh extended their lead following a mix up in the home defence which allowed Scott to pounce, round the keeper and score. Shortly afterwards Ciaran O’Kane headed home following corner and the scoring was complete when Christopher McDaid hammered to the net from the edge of the area.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two

Glengad 3-3 Rashenney Res

Rasheney started with the breeze with both Dermott Keough and Ryan Doherty bringing good saves from Patrick Mc Laughlin in the Home goals Rasheney took the lead on 15min when Callum Long’s free from 20yards was parried by Mc Laughlin to Shane ward who slotted home from 10 yards it was 1-1 on 20 min when Conor Mc Gonagle cut inside played the ball back to P.J. Mc Daid who slotted low past Sam Coyle, on 30min Calon Mc Colgan shot rebounded of the keeper to Mc daid he put his shot wide Callum Long gave Rashenney the lead before half time when he cut in from the left wing and fired a 25yard effort past the keeper, Glengad equalised on 65min when long ball from Jason Doherty found Niall Mc Colgan who scored from 18 yards Glengad then took the lead on 75 min when Mc Colgan found Mc Daid got his second goal shooting low past Coyle Rasheney got a share of the points on the stroke of full time when C.Long squared for O.J. Cuff to finish from close range

QPS Youths 4-2 Culdaff Res

The point started well from kick off when Dean Hegarty beat the off side trap and just put the wall wife from 10 yards. John mc Closkey then had a 20 yard shot well saved by Oran Douglas culdaffs keeper. Cludaff took the lead in on 10mins when billy Hume beat 2 point players to place the ball in the bottom corner from 20 yards past slattery. Cludaff doubled there lead on 37 mins when a counter attack left oisin mc Laughlin one on one with slattery and he finished well. The point started well second half and had a goal back on 50mins when mc Closkey held the ball up well and placed a shot into the bottom left corner. They equalised on 60mins when Sean Gallagher pounced on a defensive mistake and fired into the roof of the net from 10yards. Cludaff had some good possession but the point took the lead when mc Closkey was played through and finished well beating Douglas from 15 yards. They finished the game off on 74mins when a Gallagher corner was met by Simon Wallace at the front post to blast it in from 5 yards. Cludaff played some good football and Jack Curley hit a free kick which just went over the bar, but we’re unable to find a goal to get back in the game.

Dunree Res 1-3 Carrowmena

Neven mc govern with a clearance that ended with the ball bouncing over the bar of the carrowmena net
Niel moran forced a save from with a venomous strike on the edge of the box After a good passage of play Adam Harrigan forced to collect the ball Niel moran with another dangerous shoot skimming the bar 15 minutes in 25 minutes in dunree had a disallowed goal from a corner After a good run up the line bryce Fullerton released a strike but ended up being blocked Carrowmena puts themselves up by 1 after a corner into the back post With 5 minutes to go in the firt half John moran equilises on the verge of half time with a well placed finish in the bottom left corner from the edge of the box Corrowmena makes it 2-1 in the last few minutes of the first half
Aileach Youths 1 4 Gleneely Colts 

Top of the table Gleneely recorded a fairly comfortable victory over Aileach Youths at Lakeside.  Gleneely took the lead on 10 minutes when a cross from the right was met by Stephen McLaughlin in the six yard box and he volleyed home to give Joshua Doherty no chance.  Aileach should have levelled things on the half hour when Aaron Doherty got clear on the left and his cross was met by Charlie Campbell whose effort just cleared the crossbar.  On 40 minutes, Gleneely doubled their lead when Emmet O’Briens chip over Doherty was cleared off the line by Cormac Ferguson only for Shay Harkin to react first to bundle the ball over the line.

Aileach started brighter in the second half and reduced the arrears on 55 minutes when substitute Michael McElroy dribbled into the box and scored with the outside of his boot from 12 yards.  Aileach pressed the self-destruct button almost immediately when a long range free kick was deflected off an unfortunate Aileach defender’s head and looped into the far corner.  On 80 minutes, Gleneely completed the scoring when a defensive mix up left Matthew Doherty the simple task of slotting into an unguarded net.

Rasheney Rovers 0-11 Sea Rovers

In the 3rd min Conor Mc Closkey scored for Sea Rovers, then Andrew Gallagher brought a good save from Mc Gilloway in the home net, Declan Mc Guiness headed over the bar from 8 yards and Liam Gallagher’s effort from 20yards sailed over the bar as well, then Sea Rovers scored three quick goals and Gallagher got a fourth on 36 min and added two more before half time, Gallagher added another after the break and Conor Mc Closkey got two more goals as Sea Rovere ran out 11-0 winners

Cockhill Colts    2

Redcastle Res     2


The visitors moved into a 2 – 0 lead in the opening half but Cockhill fought back to claim a share of the points.  By 38 minutes Redcastle had found the net twice courtesy of goals from Conor Mc Callion and Shea Sweeney where mistakes in the Cockhill defence saw both players in on goal and opportunities to slot past the keeper. Into the second half and Cockhill reduced the deficit on 65 minutes when Liam O’Donnell got on the end of a delivery into the box and headed home. And it was O’Donnell who found the net again 5 mins later when he got control inside the area and drove to the net for the equaliser. With no further clear openings to either side the match ended in a draw.