Match Reports Sunday 28th January

Ulster  Junior Cup  Quarter Final

Aileach  FC                    3

Greencastle FC            1

Aileach took the lead on 9 minutes when Anthony Doherty found space down the right and produced a pin point cross for Thomas McMonagle who controlled before finishing low past Dylan Doherty from 10 yards.

Greencastle responded and on 15 minutes Nigel McMonagle was given too much room 20 yards from goal and was unlucky to see his angled shot clip the outside of McGeedys right hand post. Aileachs’ next attack almost resulted in a doubling of their lead when Darren McMonagle rounded the full back and his driven cross just evaded Anthony Doherty six yards out with the goal at his

mercy. On the half hour Ronan Coyle spurned a glorious chance to add to Aileachs’lead when Dermot Doherty found him

unmarked 10 yards out but he shot weakly and Doherty gathered easily. With half time approaching James Henry worked

an opening on the edge of the box but his shot flew disappointingly high and wide. Greencastle began the second half brightly and forced a few  corners in quick succession but the Aileach defence

held  out.  Midway through the half Aileach doubled their lead when Gareth McGlynn played in Ronan Coyle and the  centre forward cooly rounded Doherty before slotting home from a narrow angle. On 75 minutes a third  arrived when Thomas McMonagle and Gareth McGlynn worked a short corner and the latter crossed for Mark McElhinney  to head home at the back post from close range. Almost immediately Greencastle pulled a goal back when a free kick wide on the right by Sean Doherty found its way directly to the net. This gave Greencastle some encouragement and they set about

trying to close the gap further playing some good one touch football but Aileach defended deep and gave the visitors

very little space in the final third in which to work an opening, holding out to progress to the next round.

Buncrana Hearts          3

Bonagee United          0

Buncrana dominated for long periods of this game and after a bright opening Kieran McDaid opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Brendan Halpin had been fouled. Stephen McHugh then unleashed a powerful effort which clipped the bar on the way over. Before the interval the hearts  made it two nil after excellent work by Bart Wesoloski saw him square for Oisin O Flaherty to tap home.The home side came out on top again on the restart and McDaid fired over when well placed on 55 minutes. They then made it three nil after the visitors  keeper parried a Shane Dillon free and O’Flaherty was well placed to tap home. The home side were content to retain possession for the remainder of the game but a serious looking knee injury to Ben Bradley soured the latter stages and hopefully he recovers quickly.

Ulster Junior Shield   Quarter Final      

Moville Celtic               5

Glengad Res                 0

Moville took the lead on 7 minutes when the visitors failed to clear and Conor Doherty fired home past Michael McLaughlin. Minutes later a corner by Doherty found the unmarked Michael McNaught who headed home. Visiting keeper McLaughlin made a fine save to deny Tony Boyce with his feet before Glengad’s Mark Mckinney miscued when ten yards out before Christopher McLaughlin headed over from a corner on the half hour. Moville replied and Mclaughlin turned a Charlie Gill effort round the post. The home side made it three nil when Boyce cut in from the left and unleashed an effort which took a deflection on its way past McLaughlin. Glengad spurned a chance when Gary Kelly had a good chance but Ryan Coyle smothered well. After the restart Gill had a header from a corner which crashed off the bar before they increased their lead on 64 minutes. Substitute Dermot Harkin wins possession and feeds Conor Doherty to flick on for McNaught to race clear and slot home. Boyce then broke on the left and his cross was diverted home by an unfortunate defender. Glengad kept trying and a JG McDermott effort was well saved by Ryan Coyle.

Redcastle United         4

Aileach Res                  1

Redcastle got off to a great start in the 5th minute when Jack McC0nalogue scored with a fine chip over Ciaran Bradley from twelve yards. But midway through the half the visitors levelled after Ciaran McGrory headed home from a corner. But the home side regain the lead on 43 minutes after Darragh McConway and Denim McLaughlin combine to feed Chris O Donnell and he fired low to the left hand corner. On the stroke of half time an Ethan Canning cross finds  McConalogue to head home and make it three one. Redcastle increased their advantage shortly after the break when McConway beat two men and fed McLaughlin who in turn found Brendan Murphy and he scored with a superb low finish. The visitors were reduced to ten men on 76 minutes after Sean O Donnell was red carded for foul play.

Curragh Athletic          1      

Rasheney FC                          2

The home side got off to a dream start when they opened the scoring in the first minute after Jim Callaghan had an effort turned behind for a corner but from the corner Callaghan rose high to head home. Rasheney replied on 10 minutes and a teasing Declan McLaughlin cross found Anthony Doherty whose first time effort whizzed just over the bar when he really should have hit the target. A similar run by McLaughlin    then saw his cross sliced by a defender and just wide. Rasheney equalised and a Michael Toland corner was headed down and into the net by Anthony Doherty at the back post. Rasheney had another chance on the stroke of half time when a diagonal Brendan Doherty cross found McLauglin whose diving header went inches wide. The first action of the second period arrived on 71 minutes when Brendan Doherty had a close range header cleared off the line after a corner. A minute later Rasheney struck for what proved to be the winner when a diagonal ball was parried by Jason Woods and Damien Friel pounced to drill home. Curragh replied  and Eoin Darby laid off the ball to Callaghan but Sean Friel advanced to block with his feet. From the clearance Damien Friel crossed for substitute John Grant  but he headed wide. In the last minute Brendan Doherty’s cross was cleared to another substitute Christy Ivers who fired wide. In injury time a Michael O Brien free was well held by Friel to see his side advance to the semi finals.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Glengad United                 6

Illies Celtic                          2

Glengad started brightly with the wind on their back and opened the score after 2 minutes. Shane Canning playing Patrick Mc Dermott clear on the left. He raced clear off the Illies defence to slot low under Kevin Gallagher from 16 yards. Glengad had another chance in the 20th minute Canning again finding Stephen Fildara on the right his first time effort shaved the outside of the post. Glengad did make it two on the 38th minute after  a free kick from 25yards out was layed off to Stephen Fildara by Canning and Fildara fired a supberb effort to the top corner giving Gallagher no chance in the Illies goal.Glengad made it three  in the 44th minute a cross from the left by James Mc Kinney wasnt dealt with by Gallagher and the ball fell to Terence Doherty to score from six yards.

Glengad got off to a dream start in the second half Chris Fildara finding Michael Byrne on the edge of the six  yard box he fired home to make it four. Illies did get a goal back on the 50th minute good play between Paddy Doherty and Adrian Donnaghy Doherty with Doherty firing a low effort past Kevin Mc Laughlin from 18 yards. Glengad then made it five one on the 55th minute Stephen Fildara doing great down the right side his cross finding Michael Byrne at the front post to slot home goal no. 6. Glengad made it 6/1 on the 65 min Paddy Mc Dermott finding Stephen Fildara on the right and his cross finding substitute Seamus Doherty to score from six yards. Illies got their second goal on the 75th minute Liam Grant finding Jason Campbell on the edge of the box and he slotted home from 15 yards.

Culdaff FC                            5

Carn FC                                 3

As usual this was a well contested derby game in Caratra Park   which swung one way then the other before the home side completed a superb come back from being three one down.  Carn started with the wind and took the lead on 10 minutes when a corner from the left was headed home by Conor Doherty which took a deflection on its way past Daniel Mullarkey. Culdaff replied and a Michael Coyle effort  was well saved by Kyle Dougal. Carn then increased their lead when after defensive errors  Conor Doherty nipped  in to fire home. The home side reduced the deficit when Dermot Diver powerfully headed home a corner at the back post. On the hour mark Carn made it three one when the home side gave away a poor free on the edge of the area and Cade Cooke extracted full revenge when he fired to the top corner. Within a minute Culdaff got one back when Brendan McLaughlin drove stunning free low to the bottom corner. On 71 minutes McLaughlin fired another free kick from the right to the top corner to equalise. Culdaff were on top at this stage and after brilliant work by Dillon Ruddy, Coyle and Noel McLaughlin ended with  Brendan McLaughlin receiving the ball on the left hand side of the area and he fired low across Dougal to the bottom corner. Great work by Noel Mclaughlin closed the full back who returned the ball to Dougal but Aiden Cunningham dispossessed him and rounded a defender and slotted home to complete a superb comeback.

Strand Hotel First Division

Cockhill Youths                  3

Buncrana Res                     2

In the proverbial game of two halfs  Buncrana had the advantage but against the run of play Cockhill took the lead when Jack McDaid capitalised on indecision to race clear and slot low under Eoghan O Doherty. Midway through the half Adam Doherty’s superb cross was headed wide by Gerard Boyle from six yards. On the half hour Buncrana deservedly levelled when Liam McCarron reacted first to poke home with the home side waiting for a free kick which never came. On 40 minutes Boyle fired then ahead with a stunning over head kick. In the second half Cockhill had the elements and got back on terms on 55 minutes when Michael Noone advanced and smashed the ball low to the bottom corner. On the hour O Doherty misjudged a Jack McDaid corner and the ball went to the net. Boyle was causing the home side a lot of problems but lacked support. The final action saw home substitute Ronan Mclaughlin  fouled on the edge of the area but Michael Owen Doherty’s free was well saved.In injury time Buncrana forced a corner but Lee McCarron showed all his calm and composure to gather.

Clonmany Res                    2

Sea Rovers                          1

Played in very blustery conditions, Clonmany had the first opportunity in

the 19th minute when Jonathan McDaid’s through ball sent Nathan McKinney

through but Glen Watson was out quick to close him down, forcing Nathan

wide and his attempted chip found the top of the crossbar. Sea Rovers

forced Liam McGonigle into a full length save in the 25th minute when Evan

McLaughlin found time in the box to get a shot away. Sea Rovers had another

good chance in the 29th minute when William Logan was’nt closed down

quickly enough just outside the penalty area but his shot was always

rising. Clonmany made the breakthrough in the 37th minute when a good move  down the right found John Porter in space on the right hand side of Sea

Rovers penalty area. He controlled the ball and sent a low cross across the

6 yard line which Nathan McKinney dummied at the near post allowing it to

find left winger Alex Mcfadden at the back post who coolly sidefooted home

from close range. Clonmany added a second on the stroke of half-time when

Eoin McLaughlin won a defensive header sending Clonmany on a counter

attack. Nathan McKinney carried the ball into the Sea Rovers half before

releasing Pearse McCarron and he drew Glen Watson off his line before

sending a low right foot shot into the bottom left hand corner of the Sea

Rovers nets.  Both teams made changes at half-time and Sea Rovers started brightly and pulled a goal back when Evan McLaughlin was brought down in the box to win a penalty which William Logan tucked away to the bottom corner despite Liam McGonigle’s dive. Sea Rovers almost equalised in the 67th minute when a free-kick from the right hand side was lofted into the 6 yard line where it was met by Damian Harkin’ s head but he was unable to direct his header on target. Clonmany had a great chance to seal the win in the 88th minute when their substitute David McGonigle was brought down in the box to win a penalty which he took himself but Glen Watson dove low to his right and

gathered it at the foot of his post. Clonmany held on to record their first

league win of the season.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    A       

Aileach Youths                   1

Redcastle  Res                   4

Redcastle Reserves deservingly took the points at Lakeside against an

Aileach side that pushed the self destruct button too many times.  Aileach

started brightly and almost took the lead inside 10 minutes when Paddy

Curran raced clear on the left but Joe McCauley in the Redcastle goal saved

well with his feet.  Redcastle took the lead on 20 minutes when good play

in midfield by Rory Hirrell released Gerard McLaughlin and his cross eluded

everyone except Evan Craig who swept home at the back post.  Redcastle

doubled their lead ten minutes later when a long range shot was parried

into the path of Craig who squared for Cathal Crumlish to tap home from

inside the six yard box.  Aileach had a couple of half chances before the

break when Liam Collins fired wide on two occasions.  Ten minutes after the

restart, Redcastle were reduced to 10 men for two bookable challenges.

Aileach pressed to get back into the game for a phase but found McCauley

impossible to beat on a couple of occasions.  The decisive goal arrived on

the hour when a terrible mix up in the Aileach defence left Evan Craig a

tap in from six yards.  Aileach threw caution to the wind after this almost

pulled a goal back when Curran raced through but McCauley saved well

again.  Aileach finally got a goal back with 10 minutes to go when Curran

raced on to Killian O’Rourke’s through ball and slipped the ball past

McCauley into the bottom corner.  Benny Hegarty was next to come close for

Aileach when Matthew McDermott crossed from the left but again McCauley

saved low to his left.  With a couple of minutes to go Curran had another

effort that got past McCauley but Kyle Davenport got back on the line to

clear.  Aileach again gifted Redcastle another goal in injury time when a

mishit clearance fell to Craig who dispatched the ball into the bottom

corner to complete his hat trick.

Moville Res             3

Culdaff Res              2

On 6 minutes a Ciaran Diver cross was headed home by Ryan McColgan from six yards past Martin McLaughlin in the visitors goal. There was no real chances for the remainder of the half with the game bogged down in midfield and the defences on top. Culdaff got back on terms on 56 minutes with Jack McLaughlin firing low past Puaric Carey Doherty from twelve yards. But the home side regained the lead on 71 minutes when a Graeme Doherty header found PJ Barr whose headed came off the post to  Diver to slot home. They increased their lead on 81 minutes when Graeme Doherty fired a superb free to the top corner despite McLaughlin getting a hand to it. Culdaff rallied and minutes later Gary Collins was denied by the home keeper but McLaughlin following up slotted home.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B       

Rasheney Res                     1

Illies Res                              1

Played in very blustery conditions last Saturday night in Trawbreaga Park, the visitors opened brightly when Pauric Mc Daid delivered into Keith Elliot Mc Kinney in a central position but his well hit shot was beat away by home keeper Kieran Friel. They moved in front in the tenth minute when John Campbell outmuscled two defenders on the half way line, surged up the left wing and drove across Friel to the far corner. Rasheney’s first effort of note came a quarter of an hour in when Nathan Mc Conologue connected well with Trevor Doherty’s cross from the right but his low driven attempt from 25 yards whizzed past the upright. Minutes later they threatened again when Alan Doherty crossed low into the near post where David Mc Laughlin brought an excellent point blank save from Kevin Gallagher and Gallagher again saved from Mc Laughlin when he let fly with a good shot on the run from outside the box. At the other end, Shane Devlin’s long range free was easily gathered by Friel and Charlie Mc Laughlin shot wildly over from a great position when David Doherty got to the bye line to lay off and set him up. After the interval neither goal came under major threat until half way through when Corny Mc Cole intercepted a pass in his own half, evaded two tackles, advanced deep into the Illies half before forcing Gallagher into a save. With quarter of an hour remaining the home side came close to levelling matters but Gallagher made a superb save when pushing away Peter Doherty’s well struck low shot but he could do nothing immediately afterwards when Tyler Mc Bride touched Mc Connellogue’s free past him into the net. Illies could have won it near the end when Campbell outpaced the home defence and bore down on goal but Friel saved the day by advancing and making a great claim.

Carn Res                               1

Carrowmena Res               1

Carn started well and on 11 minutes when Niall McGuinness had a low shot turned round the post by Michael Noone. At the other end a Dean McGeoghaghan cross found James McDermott but he fired wide from fifteen yards. Minutes later a Tiernan Coyne cross found Dillon Cooke but he failed to hit the target from the edge of the area. Carn took the lead on 29minutes after Conor Doherty fed Coyne who slipped the ball low past Noone from fifteen yards. Carrowmena then had a chance after a Gerard Gill cross was flicked on by McGeoghaghan to Oran McDermott who fired over from sixteen yards.Carn hit back and when Christopher Diver found Dillon Cooke he fired wide.

Carn started the second period well with Diver advancing past two defenders into the area but again he failed to hit the target. Midway though the half Andrew McLaughlin for the visitors picked out Finbar McCallion but he blazed over with only Greg Doherty to beat. Carn substitute Darragh Deery then set up Diver but his low effort but it drifted past the post. Carrowmena equalised on 83 minutes when McGeoghagan found Gill whose twenty yards wind assisted effort over Doherty. Carn had a final chance but Dylan Cooke fed Diver who squared to Deery but he fired wide from sixteen yards.


Inishowen Engineering Division TWO            

Greencastle Res    3

Cockhill Res            1

Greencastle and Cockhill played out a hard fought game at Chapel Lane.

Cockhill started the better and dominated possession in the first 15 minutes

but Greencastle were still a threat on the break, with Ronan Doherty going

close in two occasions; one effort hitting the inside of the post and

another just clearing the cross bar. Greencastle, slowly started to get more

possession and took the lead with 17 minutes gone when Ronan Doherty

followed up a Tom Houston free kick that was spilled by the Gary Robinson in

the Cockhill goal. Cockhill came close in two occasions to equalising in the

first have with Darragh McDermott shooting just over and Adam McCarron

seeing a header cleared off the line by Pauric Gillen.Cockhill started the second half on top and had a great chance to equalise

when Ryan Mallet had a one-on-one with Eugene O’Donnell in the Greencastle

goal but he pulled his effort just wide. Greencastle, under a lot of

pressure, were just playing on the counter for much of the half but went two

up when Shaun Cavanagh side footed home Gavin Rowan’s long free kick. From a similar situation Greencastle scored again when this time Tom Houston scored from a Rowan delivery. His initial header was saved by Robinson but Houston beat a defender to the loose ball and fired in. Cockhill kept pressing and made it three one on 70 minutes when Darragh McDermott scored from a free kick just outside the 18 yard box. The same player made it three two, 5 minutes later, when a cross from the right deflected into his path and he slotted the ball past O’Donnell. However Greencastle sealed the points on the 82nd minute when a stunning hit from Rowan from 35 yards out came off the crossbar and Mark Brown was first to the ball to score. Brown went close to making it five in the dying stages when he took a great touch from a long Harkin through ball but his effort was superbly blocked by a Cockhill defender.