Match Reports Sunday 28th April

Saturday 27th April

Ulster Junior Shield Final

Arranmore United            3

Cockhill Youths                  1                      AET

Arranmore United claimed a hard fought extra-time victory over Cockhill Celtic Youth in the Ulster Junior Shield at a blustery and rain soaked Ballyare on Saturday afternoon

.The islanders started the game in determined fashion and pressed Cockhill at every chance allowing them no time or space and without creating any clear chances the Arranmore men did produce a few good deliveries from set pieces into the box from central defender Justin McBride. Cockhill produced their first chance of not on the half hour mark when Darragh McDermott received a pass from Ronan McLaughlin before setting Adam McLaughlin clear through on goal with a well timed pass  but the young forward dragged his shot wide of Frankie Early’s right hand post. Cockhill started to gain a foothold in the game but the last 15 minutes of the first half they were caught offside on five different occasions after getting awarded frees in good positions. Cockhills keeper Kyle Dougal made a smart save on 38 minutes when he dived low to his right to keep out an effort from the Paul Early.Arranmore opened the scoring on 54 minutes when the impressive Brian Proctor latched onto a through ball from Daniel O’Donnell to calmly shot low left footed to the corner past Dougals outstretched right hand much to the delight of the large group of support for the islanders. Cockhill bounced back and within 5 minutes Jack McDaid had the ball in the net. The Cockhill wide midfielder received a pass from captain Christopher Duffy to advance into the area and find space to rifle a right footed effort into the top right hand corner past Earlys left hand giving the keeper no chance. Cockhill created a few chances late on but extra time followed.Substitute Gavin McGlanaghey who was introduced in the 68th  minute was the difference in the sides in extra time . Seven minutes  in Arranmore took the lead again after a long kick out by Early caught out the Cockhill defence and  Mc Glanaghey superbly drilled the ball past Dougal .Then just two minutes into the second period of extra time he struck again when Cockhill’s defence got it all wrong and gifted Mc Glanaghey the chance to lift the ball over Dougal to give Arranmore their first Ulster shield title.For this young Cockhill side they must regroup as they still have much to play for this season

SUNDAY 28th  April

Ulster Junior Cup Final

Glengad United                 0         

Greencastle  FC                 1

In an excellent game of football Greencastle just about shaded this tie at the Inishowen League HQ to clinch their first ever Ulster Junior Cup. They had the best of the first half and as early as the third minute a crossfield Jamie Mc Cormick pass picked out Nigel McMonagle on the left and he cut in to unleash a shot which Kevin McLaughlin saved comfortably. Glengad replied minutes later with a surge from Adam Byrne who played a one two with Conor Barrow before a superb turn on the edge of the area created space but his left footed effort was gathered by Dylan Doherty. Greencastle upped the tempo then with Shaun Doherty’s powerful effort well held by McLaughlin before McCormick released McMonagle inside the area but when he cut inside the defender he lost his footing and the chance was lost. Doherty then released  McMonagle in the inside right channel but he lifted his effort over the advancing McLaughlin and across the face of goal. On 27 minutes Eamon Donnelly’s sweetly struck effort skidded off the turf but was well held by McLaughlin. Glengad responded and Matthew Byrne’s free was tipped over by Doherty before a  brilliant Stephen McLaughlin run took him along the byeline and he fired the ball across the face of goal but there was no one there to apply the finish. On 40 minutes a trademark curling effort from McMonagle was  brilliantly tipped away by McLaughlin. The defining moment of the game came on 44minutes when the Glengad defence allowed a long ball to bounce with McMonagle winning possession and drilling low past McLaughlin from the edge of the area. Glengad started much better in the second half but  struggled to create clear chances. On 53minutes a Seamus Doherty free from the left found Adam Byrne but under pressure he headed over the bar. Five minutes later Terence Doherty broke on the left and his brilliant cross found Barrow but his effort was brilliantly blocked by Mark Henry. Greencastle responded and a neat lay off  by McMonagle to Stephen Grant on the edge of the area but he fired over the top. Glengad kept pressing and on 75 minutes Stephen McLaughlin fed Adam Byrne inside the area but his swerving effort flew over the bar. Glengad tried hard to get the goal they needed in the closing stages but Henry and Michael Barr stood firm at the heart of the Greencastle defence to ensure they made their own bit of history  in claiming their first Ulster Junior Cup success.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A    

Clonmany Res                    2

Moville Res                         0

​​​​​Clonmany kept their hopes of a play off  alive with this hard fought win. They started the game well and created the first chance with 14 minutes gone when Paul Devlin slipped a pass through for Pearce McCarron in the Moville box but Maurice McGeady made a good save low to his right hand side to thwart Pearce’s strike. Clonmany took the lead in the 25th minute with the move originating from a Matthew Brennan throw in on the halfway line to David McGonigle who spun past his marker and fed Dessie Doherty in centre midfield. At the second attempt Dessie got a pass away to his brother Conor on the right wing and his cross found Paul Devlin  to flick the ball home past Maurice McGeady .Clonmany had another opportunity in the 36th minute when Pearce McCarron lofted a ball into the Moville box for Dessie Doherty to run on to but under pressure from a Moville defender and with Maurice McGeady rushing out to close down the play  his header slip past the post. Clonmany did add a second goal in the 43rd minute when a corner from the left was partially cleared by Moville. Clonmany’s Paul McLaughlin collected the ball 30 yards out and let fly but his shot crashed back off the crossbar. Conor Doherty was able to cross from the right of the box and Dessie Doherty was left with the simple task of heading into the net at the back post. There was less chances in the second half with Moville holding the ball well through Pauric Skelly and Christy McGeoghan in midfield but up front Colin Doherty was well marked by Clonmany’s Philip Devlin and Andy Doherty.Clonmany had a good opportunity in the 81st minute to add a third when Conor Doherty was put through, though he was forced wide by the attentions of Jack Ferry he still found himself in a good position on the right of the 6 yard box. With the option of cutting the ball across to Clonmany sub Thomas Comiskey on the opposite side or taking the shot on himself, Conor shot for goal but Maurice McGeady was relieved to see the shot had no venom and he was able to gather the ball easily. Clonmany saw out the remaining minutes and recorded  a 2-0 victory.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B

Cockhill Res                        4

Carn Res                               6

Carn raced in to an early two goal lead with a brace from Christy McDaid who got in behind the Cockhill defence to beat Cockhill keeper, Ciaran Sharkey, in a one on one to make it one nil and scored with a fine shot from the edge of the box for his second. Cockhill grew in to the match and pulled one back midway through the first half when Ryan McDaid picked out Kevin Donohoe on the edge of the box who finished first time past Dean Mason in the Carn net after a fine flowing move down the right by Cockhill. Cockhill pulled level just after half time when Patrick McLaughin raced on to a through ball and lobbed it over Dean Mason in to the empty net. Carn took the lead again shortly after when a corner ball took a few deflections inside the 6 yard box before just crossing the line . Cockhill equalised again through Patrick McLaughin who tapped in from 6 yards after a great cross ball by Mark Gillespie. Christy McDaid got his hattrick to give Carn the lead again with a 25 yard effort and shortly after got his fourth of the match when he poked the ball home after a scramble in the 6 yard box. Cockhill replied again to bring themselves back in to the match when Mark Gillespie’s first time effort beat Dean Mason at his near post to make the score five four. With Cockhill pushing for an equaliser they were caught on the counter and Christy McDaid sealed the win for Carn late on scoring his fifth of the match.

Illies Res                              5         

Rasheney Res                     4

Illies were crowned league champions after this win and it looked plain ailing when they led by two goals to nil. But Rasheney threatened to throw a spanner in the works when they hit back to lead four two before the home side recovered. Ronan Hegarty fired them in from when he latched onto a poor clearance to drill low past John Duffy from ten yards. Hegarty then doubled their lead  when he got in between defenders to slot low past Duffy. Rasheney replied and reduced the deficit after a Cormac Dillon corner deflected off a defender past Kevin Gallagher. They got back on terms when Tiernan McDonald beat the offside trap to race clear and finish well. On the stroke of half time they went in front with a superb finish by McDonald after he had beat two defenders in a mazy run. Five minutes after the break McDonald completed his hat trick when he raced onto a long clearance and slotted low past substitute Graham Doherty. Illies replied and got one back on the hour after Liam O’Connor fired home from close range. They got back on level terms when Ethan Doherty fired to the roof of the net after a scramble. With time running out they completed an amazing comeback in the final minute after Martin Donaghey blocked down a defensive clearance and Ethan Doherty fired low to the bottom corner.

Dunree Res             3

Culdaff Res              4

In an entertaining game Dunree opened the scoring after 5 minutes when the unmarked Conal McGrory headed home from a corner. But Culdaff levelled ten minutes later when Michael McFadden found space in the area to drill to the net from fifteen yards. The home side regained the lead before the break when TJ McKinley fired home from the spot after he had been upended. But Culdaff started the second half well and equalised again when Joe O Connor was left unmarked and he headed  home Matthew Crampsey s corner. They then took the lead when O’Connor broke on the right and his cross was headed home by Crampsey from eight yards.  Dunree rallied and got back on terms when poor marking from another corner allowed Bryce Fullerton to head home and make it three all. But on 84 minutes the visitors ended their season with a win when O’Connor was picked out by McFadden and he headed to the net.