Match Reports Sunday 28th April

Inishowen Football League Reports  

Sunday 28th   April  

Ulster Junior Cup Final

Buncrana clinch three in a row

Buncrana Hearts                2

Letterkenny Rovers          2   


Buncrana win 7-6 in sudden death penalties.

In an absorbing contest it was Letterkenny Rovers who took the lead in controversial circumstances when the referee pointed to the spot having adjudged that Kevin O`Loughlin had brought down McMonagle in the box when the incident appeared to happen outside the box.

McMonagle stepped up and slotted past Taylor Clarke in the eighth minute. On eighteen minutes Shaunie Bradley saw his shot superbly saved by Blake Forkan in the Rovers goal and  from the resulting corner Eoin Murphy`s header was cleared off the line. Midway through the half McMonagle latched onto a long kick but his shot just went the wrong side of Clarke`s goal. Matty Brown thought he had equalised on forty four minutes but his curling shot from twenty five yards was brilliantly tipped over by the impressive Forkan. A minute later and the Hearts got a deserved equaliser when Brown broke down the right and delivered a beautiful cross for Jamie McDaid to fire past Forkan and leave the side level at the interval.The Hearts were first to threaten two minutes into the second half but Kieran McDaid`s header was straight at Forkan. On fifty two minutes Shaunie Bradley broke and cut inside his marker before finding Aaron McDaid but he dragged his shot wide. The Hearts almost took the lead when Kieran McDaid`s corner was headed onto the post by a Rovers defender and cleared. The Hearts took the lead on seventy two minutes after McDaid`s corner found the net with Murphy claiming the final touch. With five minutes remaining Rovers equalised when Gorman`s free  was headed past Clarke by McMonagle to take the game into extra-time. The Hearts were first to threaten when James Adair`s header found Kieran McDaid but he shot straight at Forkan. On ninety nine minutes the Hearts were dealt a huge blow when the impressive Calvin Gallagher picked up an extremely harsh second yellow card resulting in a red reducing the Hearts to ten men. In the second period of extra-time Kieran McDaid was in on goal when Gorman hacked him down and the referee brandished a straight red card much to the dismay of the Rovers technical staff. Both teams seen out the remaining minutes to take the game to the dreaded penalty shoot-out. It was the Hearts who prevailed in a lengthy shoot-out with sub keeper Eoghain O`Doherty proving the hero with three penalty saves to give the Hearts Ulster Junior Cup success for the third consecutive year.

Buncrana Hearts


Donegal Signs Challenge Cup

Cockhill Celtic         3

Culdaff FC                0

Cockhill started well with Conor Graham and Liam Grant both firing efforts over. The home side  took the lead on 9 minutes with an incisive move down their left. The overlapping Brendan McLaughlin’s first time cross was swept home at the front post past Patrick McLaughlin by Luke Rudden.They continued to dominate possession but the closest they came to a second goal was a Rudden  which rattled the crossbar.

The home went close again when Odhran O’Brien Daly’s header was cleared off the line but they did double their lead just before the half hour  after Jack Mullan’s initial effort hit the bar Rudden was first to react and sidestepped the keeper before firing home.  Rudeen then fired into the side netting  and the chances kept coming with Liam Grant’s dink over the advancing keeper dropping wide before Mullan sidefooted over after Rudden’s layoff. Culdaff’s best chance came on 65minutes when Keith Norris showed great pace down the right. His pass found Brendan McLaughlin  but his layoff was fired over by Noel McLaughlin.

Cockhill got there third on 72minutes when Lee McColgan’s inswinging free kick from the right found Garbhan Friel. His initial header was parried by McLaughlin but he nodded home the rebound. Soon after  Jay Bradley headed against the bar before Brendan McLaughlin’s free kick for Culdaff was deflected towards Tiernan McGeoghan who failed to connect. Culdaff pressed again late in the game  and Norris went close when he lifted a shot past Harry Doherty but found the side netting.


Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup  Semi Finals

Cockhill Youths                  6

Rashenny FC                        0

Fresh from their success in the Ulster Junior Shield Cockhill started well and went ahead early as Mason McDaid struck well from a Connor McDaid free kick delivery. Minutes later a  Ryan McDaid chance sailed over the bar before the home side increased their lead as Paul Mullan headed home after good work Conor Allen down the wing. Cockhill continued to press  and Ryan Downey head wide from Mason McDaid s corner . At the other end Darragh O Donnell  held a few Rashenny free kicks  from distance.But Cockhill regained control with Downey going close with a good strike from the edge of the area before Mullan was denied by a superb save by Sean Friel. A Rahenny mix up at the back allowed  Paul Mullan to slide home unchallenged for his second goal before the break. Rasheeny started the second half sharply as Darragh O’Donnell made great save to deny David McLaughlin  but then

Mullan unlucky to not get hatrick after good work from Ryan McDaid

saw Conor Allen add a fourth  after beating a defender in the box and sliding it low past Friel . Rashenny tried to respond and Ryan Doherty narrowly missed with a free kick from long distance..Cockhill ened the game strongly with Ryan McDaid added a fifth after good work from Christy Duffy .Paul Mullan completed his  hattrick after a brilliant Danny McDaid cross to send Cockhill into the final against Redcastle.


Redcastle United               7         

Cockhill Colts                      0

Redcastle proved too strong for Cockhill Colts in this semi final on  opened the scoring  in the second minute  when Stephen Grant picked out Gavin Grant who crossed for Mark Farren to slot past Graham Doherty . Six minutes later they made it two nil after Jack Mc Connellogue fed Gavin Grant who shoots low past Doherty. Shaun Curran then saw a corner  headed home by DarraghMc Conway to leave the home side three nil ahead at the break.  Before the break the colts responded with a Liam O’Donnell cross finding Liam McCarron who drove wide.The second half followed the same pattern and McConnellogue headed home the fourth before McConway pounced on a good save from Doherty to drill home fifth. Late goals from McConway and Darren Kelly completed the scoring. Cockhill had a late chance but Jude O’Donnell failed to hit the target when well placed.



Inishowen Engineering Division Two A

League Play Off

Gleneely Colts clinch league title in dramatic fashion

Gleneely Colts                    0

Sea Rovers                           0                      Gleneely win 4-3 on pens

Played  before a big crowd in brilliant sunshine in Maginn Park this division two play off game was as expected a tight affair needing penalties to decide the title. It was end to end from both teams from the start with Sea Rovers with the better chances . On fifteen minutes a  Daniel Gallagher cross found Andrew Gallagher eight  yards out and his effort brought a fine one handed save from Ciaran Gallagher in the Gleneey goal. Gallagher then held Joey Holland’s header before  Tiernan Stevens shot wide when well placed. At the other end  a Tristan Mc Colgan effort was held by Marc Mc Laughlin before on 28 minutes Daniel Gallagher’s shot was turned around the post by Gallagher for a corner.then  Gleneely responded and when Shane Diver worked his way

into the box his shot was deflected behind for a corner. The second half was a stop start affair with not many chance for either side. Gleneelys  Shane Diver headed wide and Manus Doherty’s long range shot was

held by Mc Laughlin and for Sea Rovers Conor Kelly failed to connect with a Conor Mc Cluskey cross. Chances kept coming  with Gleneely substitute Billy Mc Cann’s long range free was held by Mc Laughlin before at the other end Daniel Gallagher had a shot from a

tight angle across goal and wide. Then from a Gleneely corner Shay Rodgers cleared the ball off the line as extra time faded fizzled out. Penalties  ensued where Gleneely won 4-3 to clinch the title and gain promotion and leave Sea Rovers to return for a play off against Buncrana Res on Wednesday wvening.

Gleneely Colts

Sea Rovers