Match Reports Sunday 27th October

Saturday 26th

Ulster Junior Shield

Preliminary Round

Dunlewey                            2

Carn Res                               0

In wintry conditions the home side started much the better and spurned a gilt edged opportunity on 15 minutes when Conor Mahon failed to convert a penalty after he had been fouled.

They did take the lead on 35 minutes when  Mahon pulled the ball across for Chris Cannon to squeeze the ball home from close range past Kyle Harkin.  They doubled their lead before the interval after a defensive error allowed Paul Coll to fire to the unguarded net. Carn improved in the second half and forced home keeper Hugo Cannon into a couple of good saves with two good efforts from Dion Diver. But the home side defended resolutely and advance to the next round.

Round One

Ballybofey                                       0

Rasheney FC                                   4

The visitors had the lion’s share of possession throughout and deservedly booked their passage to the next round. After an early Charlie Doherty free from wide on the left was claimed by Yashn Bradley the breakthrough came with 15 minutes gone when Doherty on half way delivered a defence splitting pass to Shane Cregan and he streaked forward, cut inside and fired to the far corner. Further openings fell to David Mc Laughlin whose low shot from 22 yards was held by Bradley and when John Mc Laughlin’s cross fell invitingly for Doherty he scooped over the bar from 10 yards. The Ballybofey goal was threatened again when Alan Doherty delivered up the line to David Mc Laughlin and his cross was swept wide of goal by Cregan. On 37 minutes the home side’s first real opportunity came when Aaron Mc Cauley was sent clear of the Rasheney defence but Roger Mc Gilloway beat him to the ball. Minutes later Michael Lynch’s 40 yard powerfully struck free was palmed away only for Alan Doherty to avert the danger as Mc Cauley closed in on the rebound. In the lead up to the interval David Mc Laughlin headed over from Charlie Doherty’s cross and then Doherty himself crashed a header off the bar following a Caylum Long right wing corner. With close to an hour gone Rasheney doubled their advantage. With most of the home team pushing forward for a free, the ball was charged down and fell to David Mc Laughlin who ran from his own half along the left wing before cutting inside and setting up Cregan whose low ground shot from 12 yards doubled the lead. The home side were finding it difficult to create chances. The nearest they came to scoring was Lynch’s looping shot from distance dropping wide and sub Peader Mc Glinchey’s 20 yard effort being palmed away for a corner. With 15 minutes remaining Cormac Dillon’s run and low cross presented Mc Laughlin with the chance to drive home at the back post for the third goal and Dillon himself got in on the action when he scored the fourth in added time after Doherty created the opening.

Donegal Town                                0

Aileach Res                                     3

Played on Saturday, an understrength Aileach team still had too much for Donegal Town.  Aileach took the lead in the first five minutes when a wonderful move down the right involving James Wallace, Stephen Doherty and Jordan McGeady finished with a Doherty cutback into the path of McGeady to open the scoring.  Aileach dominated the following twenty minutes without troubling Lenard in the home goal.  Donegal pushed further up the field as the half wore on and came close ten minutes before half time when David Bustard shot goalwards from 10 yards but McGeady saved with his feet and the danger was cleared.  Aileach had two chances on the brink of half time, firstly Shane McMonagle latched onto a Chris McGarrigle and seemed to be upended just as he was about to strike but the referee waved play on and in the final minute of the half the same two players repeated the trick, this time McMonagle’s shot just cleared the crossbar.  Into the second half and the same pattern of play emerged with Aileach controlling the game without creating any clear cut openings.  On 70 minutes, Aileach came close again when substitute Benny Hegarty skipped past a couple of defenders and slid the ball through to Stephen Doherty and his shot skimmed the far post and wide.  An Aileach corner then broke into the path of Hegarty who hammered goalwards but Lenard made a superb save to tip the ball round the post. Next substitute Gareth McLaughlin came in off the left wing and fired just wide.  With 10 minutes to go McLaughlin went on a mazy dibble before slipping the ball into the path of Doherty whose shot to the bottom corner was again magnificently saved by Lenard.  Finally, Aileach got the breakthrough their play deserved with five minutes to go when a Benny Hegarty cross was controlled and fired into the bottom corner by Chris McGarrigle via the post.  The scoring was completed in injury time when McGarrigle had another long range effort which was spilled by Lenard in the home goal and Stephen Doherty was first to react and slot into the empty net.

SUNDAY  27TH October

Ulster  Junior Cup 

Clonmany Shamrocks      1

Cavan Town                         4

The visitors had the first chance after Cormac Boyle raced clear and when forced wide by Patrick Harkin his effort was blocked by the keeper. They took the lead on 17 minutes after a Tiernan Reilly free was sidefooted home by the unmarked Paul O’Connor. They doubled their lead minutes later in controversial fashion when after Harkin had saved Packie Sheridan s penalty the keeper was adjudged to have moved off his line and Sheridan made no mistake at the second attempt. The shamrocks got a goal back on 28 minutes after good work by Niall McLaughlin on the left and his early cross was slotted home by Mark McLaughlin. But when the home defence failed to deal with a long ball Sheridan pounced to lob the advancing Harkin and make it three one at the break. Cavan increased their lead after Callum Lynch controlled and went past three defenders to finish superbly low past Harkin. Clonmany tried hard with Pearse McCarron seeing a header well saved by Coombes. Cavan were happy enough to see the game out and advance to the next round.

Greencastle FC                  4

Rathmullan Celtic             1

Greencastle got off to a perfect start on 2 minutes after Nigel McMonage fed Michael Henry whose early cross picked out Jamie McCormick to drill low to the corner from the edge of the area. McCormick then fired over before McMonagle was denied by a good save from Sean Gallagher. Against the run of play the visitors got back on terms when Darragh Patton broke clear and  fed Brad Patterson to cut in and fired a superb effort to the bottom corner past Dylan Doherty. Greencastle upped the tempo with McMonagle and Stephen Grant off target before the former was denied by the advancing Gallagher.A brilliant back heel from James Henry set up Conor Gillen who went within inches of restoring their lead. After McCormick’s free kick smashed off the bar Gillen was first to react and he slotted home on 35minutes.Rathmullan replied with an Adam Sachai free well held by Doherty. Greencastled finished the half well with Gallagher producing two stunning saves from a Gerry Gill free and a McCormick effort from twenty five yards. Greencastle dominated the second half with Gill seeing a shot saved before McCormick fired over. Then in an amazing triple chance attack Grant’s effort was deflected onto the bar to Ronan Doherty whose effort was parried by Gallagher and the keeper recovered to save McCormicks effort. The home side made it three one when McCormick fed Ronan Doherty on the left and he beat two men before squaring for McMonagle to fire home. They made it four late on after McMonagle completed his hat trick from the penalty spot after Doherty had been upended.

Buncrana Hearts               3

Moville Celtic                     1

In a scoreless opening half the home side had early chances but Eoin Murphy had one shot well saved by Seamus Hughton  before seeing another goalbound effort blocked by a defender. Moville replied and when Michael McNaught beat the offside trap but fired over when well placed. The hearts then had claims for a penalty waved aside before Mikey Friel spurned a clear opening when he headed wide after a Gerard McLaughlin cross. On the stroke of half time good work by John Timlin eneded when his cross was met by a bicycle kick from Friel which flashed just wide. Moville stunned the home side when Norbert Indyka threaded a ball to Keelan Doherty and he smashed the ball past Eoghan O Doherty to give the visitors the lead on 49 minutes. But the home side levelled within four minutes after a brilliant pass from McLaughlin sent Declan Fullerton away  on the left and his cross was headed home by Gerard Boyle at the back post.McLaughlin then headed over the top when well placed before at the other end McNaught was denied y a good save from O’Doherty. Buncrana upped the tempo in the last quarter and after good work by Friel his cross was headed over by Kevin O’Loughlin. They took the lead when a John Timlin cross found McLaughlin whose header was well parried by Houghton but  Friel pounced to drill the ball home. They sealed the tie on 90 minutes after Timlin’s cross cum shot deceived Houghton and bounced into the net of the underside of the bar.

Glengad United                 1         

Castlefin Celtic                  2

It was the visitors who had the opening chance of the game after Christopher Fry collected the ball in space outside the home area and unleashed a fine effort which crashed off the butt of the post. Glengad settled and took the lead when             Conor Barrow ‘s cross found the unmarked John G McLaughlin who controlled and drilled low past James McAleer. The visitors were then reduced to ten men with a self imposed lack of discipline saw   Kieran Friel  red carded. While Glengad dominated possession they failed to create much and were stung on the stroke of half time when Mark Owens released Fry and he advanced to slot past Seamus Doherty in the home goal. Despite their numerical advantage the home side failed to create any chances with the game developing into a midfield battle. The home side were stunned following a corner on 72 minutes when Ian Wards floated delivery fund the unmarked Michael Dunnion to volley home. Glengad almost forced extra time in injury time after substitute Stephen McLaughlin’s cross found  Joe Doherty but his first time effort crashed off the bar.

Carn FC                                 2         

Milford United                   3

Carn broke the deadlock on 5 minutes when a Conor Doherty pass from the centre of defence found Brandon Browne unmarked on the right wing and he rounded the defender and fired  a powerful shot to the bottom right corner of the net from 10 yards. Ballybofey has a great chance on 16 minutes when Darren McLaughlin made a pass from midfield to Jonah Serrinha who went one on one with Daniel Houghton but shot high to the right and wide from 15 yards. Carn nearly doubled their lead midway through the half after Tiernan Coyne broke to the right hand side of the area but failed to hit the target from 10 yards.  Milford equalised on 26 minutes when a TjJ Evesson free kick from 30 yards which rebounded off the keeper and MarkFlood got the rebound and drove it low to the bottom right corner of the net from 10 yards. Carn regained the lead on 29 minute with a Cade Cooke corner from the right found Tiernan Coyne unmarked and he managed to slide the ball through the bottom of the net from 10 yards. Carn nearly got a third on 39 minutes when Will Quinn made a long pass from the centre of defence to find Christy McDaid on the right wing and he crossed for Cade Cooke whose low shot towards the bottom right corner of the net was parried away past the post by John Matthews in the Milford goal. Milford equalised again on 53 minutes when Damien Egan broke on the right wing and crossed for Daniel flood who challenged the Carn keeper Houghton coming out and TJ Evisson got the ball and slotted it to the  net from 10 yards. Carn nearly regained the lead on the hour mark  after a Donal Doherty pass from midfield found Will Quinn on the left wing and he rounded the defender before crossing to  Brandon Browne who shot wide from 12 yards. Milford took the lead on 75 minutes when Jonah Serrina broke on the right wing and tried to cross it in but was intercepted by the defender who tried to clear it but in turn was intercepted by Kyle Black who shot low to the bottom left corner of the net from inside the 18 yard box. Carn nearly got the equalizer on 86 minutes when Brandon Browne was upended in the box and Cade Cooke’s resulting penalty was parried away to the left by John Matthews.

Cranford Utd                                   1         

Cockhill Celtic Youths                  3

Cockhill Celtic Youth advanced to the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup thanks to a good 3-1 away victory over Cranford United earlier today. Cockhill bossed the opening stages and went in front on 12 minutes when Ronan McLaughlin delivered a free kick from 10 yards inside the Cranford half deep to the back post area for Odhran O’Brien-Daly to head back across goal with Mark McDaid alert to side foot the ball past the home keeper from six yards. Cockhill went 2-0 on 18 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after the ball was adjudged to have hit the hand of a Cranford defender inside the area. McDaid stepped up to hit the penalty to the keepers left with the keeper going the other way. The keeper made a great save on 25 minutes when he finger tipped an Adam McLaughlin effort, from the edge of the area, over the bar at full stretch. Cockhill did add a third on 32 minutes when a corner from the right was played into the danger are, left footed, by Ronan McLaughlin and somehow made its way into the net. Cranford will feel aggrieved that they did not get a penalty on 40 minutes when the Cockhill defence was caught with a ball over the top but Michael Noone got back to make a last ditch tackle with the home bench calling for a penalty.

Cranford changed formation at the start of the second period and proved more of a threat to the visiting Cockhill defence. On 60 minutes Liam McConagle made a smart save low to his right to keep out a certain goal from a strike through a crowded area by the forward. Cockhill started to get sloppy in possession and let the home side gain a bit of momentum in their play with 15 minutes left the home side managed to get a goal from a set piece with Cockhill failing to clear the danger and the home side hitting home from close range. They almost grabbed a second with 5 minutes remaining but thankfully for Cockhill Ronan McLaughlin and Michael Noone combined well block the shot and divert the ball over the bar from six yards out. Cockhill could have added a couple more in the last five minutes but all too often took the wrong option. A win all the same and Cockhill advance to the next round

Glenea United        0         

Aileach FC                5

Aileach took the lead after 14 minutes when an Ethan Canning corner from the right was volleyed home by Thomas McMonagle from six yards. After 20 minutes Aileach doubled their lead when a Canning cross from the left was turned home at the back post by Darren Gallagher. Within  minutes it was 3-0 after Thomas McMonagle picked the ball up at the edge of the box and chipped Joe Coll in the home goal from 20 yards. On the stroke of half time it was 4-0 when Darren McMonagle cut in from the left and slid the ball under Coll at his near post. Glenea started brightly in the second half and Michael Barry collected a poor clearance and fired a shot from just inside the box which Dougal did well to gather low to his right. On the hour Darren McGeever tried a speculative effort from 40 yards but it sailed over the bar. With 5 minutes remaining Aileach got their fifth when Ethan Canning made good progress down the left and pulled the ball back for Gavin Doherty to finish from 12 yards off the post.


Ulster Junior Shield

Round One

Illies Res                              0                     

Glencar Celtic                     2

In a physical game there was little in the way of chances with a lot of the play bogged down in midfield and both defences on top. Glencar broke the deadlock on 55 minutes after Shane Dillon played in Graham Collen and he slotted high past Graham Doherty. Illies replied with Ronan Hegarty sidestepping a defender  but from twelve yards he fired wide as keeper Ray McFadden advanced. Illies then had a great chance after Shane Devlin cut in and  laid the ball to Alan Fletcher but he drove  over the bar  from twelve yards. On 78 minutes Collen broke from midfield  and released Eoin barron who finished well from the edge of the area. The home side had big claims for a penalty then waved away before in the last minute Martin Donaghey saw his header hooked clear of the line.

Gleneely Colts                   3         

Curragh Athletic                4

​​​​​Gleneely had the first chance after 5minutes when a ball from JJ Doherty to Keelan Hegarty who shot over from 20yards. Curragh replied  five minutes later when Marc Storrie grazed the bar from 10yards. Gleneely opened the scoring then after  a ball from Keelan Hegarty to Eddie McNamee who unleashed a thunderbolt to the right hand top corner from 20 yards. Curragh responded and Tim Callaghan hit the bar from a ball into the box by Aidan Donnelly. They got back on terms after 25minutes when Tim Callaghan’s ball unto the box was headed home powerfully by Marc Storrie. Curragh went ahead   when panic in the Gleneely defence resulted in Tim Callaghan slamming home from close range. But Gleneely equalised when a corner on the left by Keelan Hegarty was powerfully met by Adrian Duffy at the back post on the half volley. Curragh regained the lead after 70minutes after a defensive mistake allowed Aidan Donnelly to poke home from close range. Gleneely were reduced to 10 men shortly after but were awarded a penalty after 85minutes when John Doherty was tugged in the area and up stepped Nathan McLaughlin to score despite the best efforts from the Curragh keeper. Curragh scored the winner with Gleneely pushing up allowed Marc Storrie to bundle home from close range.

Clonmany Res  4 2     Milford Res  AET                 4

Milford created two early chances in the opening 10minutes. First their left back crossed for Corey Strain but his header flashed wide of Tiarnan Doherty’s goals.Ciaran Gibbons went close himself in the 9th minute but pulled his shot across the face of the goal when well placed.Thomas Comiskey forced Milford keeper Barry Gallagher into a save in the 14th minute when he dispossessed a defender and broke into the box.Comiskey then created a chance for John McCarron in the 23rd minute by laying off a pass to him in the box but his shot lacked power and Gallagher saved easily.Clonmany Res. made the breakthrough in the 25th minute when Michael Devlin sent a ball to the left edge of the box for Dean Harkin to control and drive into the box and shoot low past Barry Gallagher in the Milford goal.Two minutes later Clonmany had doubled their lead ,Lee Coyle played a ball to Dean Harkin on the left of the box who jinked past two Milford defenders and shot but Gallagher could only parry and Thomas Comiskey was on hand to finish to the net past the prone figure of the Milford keeper.Milford pulled one back in the 30th minute when Ciaran Gibbon’s cross from the left was volleyed to the bottom right hand corner of the net by Jason McConigley giving Tiaran Doherty no chance.Clonmany went close to extending their lead to two goals again in the 38th minute after Dean Harkins cross from the left was headed just over the bar by right winger Shane Gill.Milford made Clonmany rue this miss two minutes later when a cross from Jason McConigley from the right was finished to the net by Corey Strain to leave the half-time score two each.

Clonmany’s best chances of the second half fell to Thomas Comiskey,who had two shots from just inside the box saved by Barry Gallagher and second-half sub Mark Kelly who shot straight at Gallagher when well placed in the box.Five minutes from full time Milford almost scored when their centre-half Kevin McGee headed over from a corner. The match went into extra-time and Clonmany went ahead again in the 98th minute when Dean Harkin’s cross was turned home by second-half sub Tiarnan McDonald.Clonmany wrapped up the scoring in the 109th minute when extra-time sub Ethan Grochowicki played a pass in behind the Milford defence for Dean Harkin to take in his stride and he finished well from a tight angle to make the final score four two.

Redcastle United              4         

Gweedore United             3

The game started well with Redcastle dominating possession and creating half chances,but against the run of play Gweedore took the lead in the 21st minute when a long ball was dropped by McCole in the Redcastle net and Ronan O Donnell put the ball in the empty net. Redcastle got a deserved equaliser 5 minutes later when a goal mouth scramble was finished by Ronan Hoy. Redcastle pushed to take the lead but again against the run of play a through ball from Darren McGeever found Mark McFadden who slotted past the keeper and restore Gweedore’s lead. Right from the start of the second half Redcastle pushed for an equaliser and it came on the 49th minute when good team play from Redcastle got Evan Craig in behind the defence and he smashed past the keeper. Minutes later Redcastle took a deserved lead when Ben Faulkner switched the play from the right wing to Ronan Hoy on the left who controlled the ball well and then beat three defenders and beat the keeper at his near post. Redcastle nearly undid all of their good work at the start of the second half when Gweedore were awarded a penalty in the 56th minute, Owenie Gallagher hit the ball towards the bottom corner but McCole got down well and parried the ball out for a corner. Redcastle were then awarded a penalty in the 65th minute when a Gweedore player handled the ball in the box. Rory Hirrell stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way and extended Rerdcastle’s lead. With 10 minutes to go Hoy had the chance to complete his hat-trick when a cross from Daragh Conway found him but he slipped as he hit the ball and it sailed harmlessly over the bar. In the dying minutes Ronan O Donnell ran in behind the Redcastle defence and he finished well. Gweedore pushed for an equaliser but the homeside held on.

Dunree United                   0         

Cockhill  Res                      0                      (win on penalties)

Dunree dominated the opening half with Ryan Bradley going close on three different occasions. Firstly he broke clear of the visitors defence but failed to hit the target when well placed. Then midway through the half he fired just over from twenty yards. Finally on the stroke of half time he fired wide when well placed inside the area. Cockhill’s best chance came on the hour mark but a Kevin McDaid effort was brilliantly blocked by Philip Doherty on the line. The home side pushed in the closing stages and Lee Sean Doherty fired just wide from the edge of the area. Extra time produced no clear chances at either end and in the penalty shootout it was divison two side Cockhill who advanced.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Carrowmena FC                 0         

Dunree Res                         4

Dunree raced into a two goal lead after  15 minutes and controlled the game thereafter. A Kieran Eccles free fell to Ryan McDonald on 8 minutes and he drilled low past Brian Houghton from fifteen yards. Then Tommy Doherty released McDonald to fire low into the opposite corner from the edge of the area. Houghton pulled off a good save to deny Doherty a third before the home side responded after Paddy McClenaghan ‘s free crashed off the wall to Bob Kane who blazed over when well placed. Dunree increased their lead on 57 minutes after an Eccles free broke to Neil Moran inside the area and he lobbed the ball over Houghton to the top corner. Carrowmena replied and McClenaghan fed Mark Doherty but he fired over the bar. Tommy Doherty then scored the goal of the game when he despatched a superb twenty five yards effort to the top corner. Houghton in the home goal pulled off a stunning triple save late on to deny Doherty , McDonald and then Doherty again.

Rasheney  Res                    0         

Aileach Youths                   1

Aileach started this game on top with Darren Bradley firing across goal and just past the far post before Bradley and Aaron Doherty forced good saves from Roger McGilloway in the home goal. The home side responded  on 24 minutes after Cormac Dillon advanced on the right and fed Rian Diver whose effort was gathered by Ryan Fox.  Aileach took the lead then in their next attack after a Benny Hegarty cross was met with a firm downward header from William O Donnell past McGilloway. Rasheney went close then with the Dillon brothers combining after Ciaran had picked out Cormac but again Fox saved. Aileach spurned a clear chance after Bradley pulled the ball back to Gareth McLaughlin who blazed over the bar with the goal gaping. Both sides then had efforts cleared off the line with firstly Rasheney’s Dillon seeing his effort cleared by Ryan Doherty before on the stroke of half time Aaron Doherty’s effort at the other end was blocked and cleared by Trevor Doherty. Aileach started on top in the second half pinning the home side back but in a rare break Ciaran Dillon fired narrowly wide on 52 minutes. At the other end Gareth McLaughlin had an effort saved before Aaron Doherty fired another effort into the side netting. Doherty then went close with a thirty yards free kick  before on 78 minutes Bradley advanced on the right and sent a superb ball across the six yards line but there were  no takers. Rasheney had the last chance but Corny McCole had a late effort following  a corner blocked and cleared.