Match Reports Sunday 27th January

Ulster  Junior Cup ¼ Finals

Cavan Town                     7

Redcastle United              2

The home side exerted pressure  from the start and took the lead on 13 minutes following a corner when Paul O’Connor headed past Michael McCole.

They doubled their lead again from a corner with Paul Boyle unmarked heading home this time. Redcastle replied with a Corey Walsh free kick well saved by keeper Gary Donnelly. But the home side upped the tempo and when Arvio Dumitron crossed Paul Sheridan made it three nil with a fine diving header. Before the break O’Connor threaded a fine pass into Sheridan’s path and he calmly finished past McCole to leave the home side in command at the interval. Cavan increased their lead minutes into the second half when Conor Boyle’s corner found Sheridan and he completed his hat trick slotting low past McCole. Redcastle then got a goal back after Walsh rounded a defender and fired home. Darragh McConway then scored with a superb free kick from the edge of the area to make it six two. But Cavan added a seventh when Conor Boyle broke on the right and crossed for Declan Meehan to slot home. The visitors misery was completed when Joe McCauley collected a second yellow card and was dismissed ten minutes from time.

Greencastle FC                  2         

Carn FC                                 1

In an entertaining first half the visitors took a shock lead on 5 minutes after Shane Doherty released Brandon Browne and he fired low past the advancing Dylan Doherty. The home side equalised after 20 minutes when Jamie McCormick broke  and crossed for Ciaran Moore to slot low past Fergal Doherty from close range. Moore then saw a header crash off the bar before McCormick’s shot on the run crashed off the post. The second half saw Greencastle have more possession but Carn dangerous on the break. Both Shane Doherty and Cade Cooke failed to hit the target for the visitors when well placed while McCormick and Nigel McMonagle both had attempts saved by Doherty. The crucial moment came in the 81st minute after McCormick released Christy Hegarty and he picked out McMonagle to slot home and send Greencastle into the semi finals.

Glengad United                 4

Kilmacrennan Celtic         1

The home side started well and on 8 minutes Christopher McLaughlin drove at the visitors defence before unleashing a twenty five yards effort which whistled just past the post.Kilmacrennan replied and when Darragh McDaid fed Enda McCormick he dragged his effort wide when he really should have done better. Good inter change between Terence Doherty and Conor Barrow saw the latter see his effort tipped over the bar by Conor Tinney. From the corner the ball was cleared to Dillon Ruddy who unleashed a twenty five yards effort to the top corner. Glengad then increased their lead on 37 minutes after James McKinney and Adam Byrne  combined well for Byrne to slpit the defence and Barrow  raced onto the pass to drill low past the advancing Tinney.  Glengad created the first chance of the second period when Stephen McLaughlin crossed for Doherty who laid the ball back to Barrow but his effort was brilliantly saved by Tinney. On  the hour the visitors got back into the game after Eunan McCormack broke on the right and when the home defence failed to clear Darragh McDaid slotted low past Seamus Houten. Glengad upped the tempo and John G Mclaughlin saw a header cleared off the line by  Ryan Shields. On 75 minutes McKinney fed Barrow on the edge of the area and he turned brilliantly to slot low into the corner and make it three one. Kilmacrennan kept pushing and  substitute Stephen McEwen broke into the area but saw his effort clip the crossbar. Glengad sealed the tie on 89 minutes after a long clearance from Houten sent Doherty clear  to fire low past the advancing Tinney and send Glengad to the semi finals.

Ulster  Junior Shield ¼ Finals

Moville Celtic                     1

Cockhill Youths                  2

Moville defeated Cockhill in the league a fortnight ago but the visitors avenged that defeat in this cup quarter final. Cockhill started well and a Mark McDaid free was gathered at the second attempt by Ryan Coyle. Cockhill broke the deadlock on 16 minutes when the ball broke on the edge of the area and Darragh McDermott hammered a first time effort to the bottom corner. McDermott then had another shot well held by Coyle again. Moville’s first threat came on 35 minutes after Nathan Harkin sent Conor Doherty into the area but Conor Allen blocked his effort and cleared. There was much more action in the second period. Moville created the first sight of goal on 57 minutes after a superb Caolan Doherty cross just eluded the inrushing Conor Doherty. Cockhill replied when Shane Doherty ran onto a quick free but his effort deflected off his own player and just wide before McDermott had a fine effort well saved by Coyle. On 73 minutes Moville equalised after Ryan McLaughlin’s free fell to Ryan Killen  whose effort came off the base of the post but Michael McNaught was on hand to drill past Kyle Dougal. But Cockhill regained the lead within six minutes after Doherty’s cross was hooked home by McDermott from six yards despite being on the ground when the ball came in. Moville pressed but it was Cockhill who were the more dangerous with McDaid firing just wide before substitute Jack McDaid saw his shot rebound off the post in injury time.

Glengad Res                                    2

Glencar Celtic                     1

Played in St Patricks Park in Carn as Glengad had both teams drawn at home in cup competitions it was the visitors who started well with Martin Bronson and Garbhan Grieve causing the glengad defence all sorts of problems. Grieve flashed a dangerous ball across the face of goal before Paddy Collins fired over from twenty yards. Glengad replied on 16 minutes after a quick free kick from John McDaid released PJ McDaid but his  effort was well saved before Gary Kelly was also  denied by the keeper. At the other end Kevin Lafferty headed Grieve’s corner inches over the bar. Just after the half hour Glencar took the lead with a stunning thirty five yards effort from Grieve which flew into the top corner past Michael McLaughlin. But Glengad responded within minutes and got back on terms after Kelly held off a defender and crossed for PJ McDaid to calmly slot home at the back post. On the stroke of half time Glengad took the lead when McDaid’s corner fell to Christopher Doherty who laid the ball off for Brian Doherty to drill low to the bottom corner. Glencar dominated possession for long periods in the second half. Substitute Shane Hilley flashed a twenty five yards effort just wide after 53 minutes. Glengads best chance of the half fell to Kelly who raced onto a ball over the top but keeper Dom Friel advanced to smother at his feet. On 72 minutes Martin Brogan’s effort after a corner was blocked on the line by Shane Doherty. With the visitors pushing hard another substitute Eoin Barron unleashed a powerful effort which went narrowly wide and the Glengad defence  stood firm to advance to the semi finals.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Aileach FC                         2

Buncrana Hearts               1

After 10 minutes Thomas McMacken picked the ball up in midfield and drove forward before unleashing a rasping drive from 25 yards which Eoin O’Sullivan in the Buncrana goal did brilliantly to deflect over the bar. The blustery conditions were making it difficult for both teams to get to grips with the game resulting in a very scrappy period of play with possession changing hands all too regularly. On 40 minutes Kevin Doran got possession in the inside left channel and turned well before firing a well struck shot which O’Sullivan got fingertips to diverting the ball around the post but from the resulting corner Aileach broke the deadlock when Keith McColgan’s corner from the right found it’s way into the net at the near post. After 50 minutes Dermot Doherty was fouled on the edge of the area and from the resulting free kick Gavin Doherty curled a neat free kick which O’Sullivan did well to hold at the foot of his right hand post. Midway through the half Buncrana drew level when Kieran McDaid’s persistence paid off when he bundled the ball home from close range after McGeady had saved his initial attempt. On 80 minutes Aileach restored their advantage when a Gareth McGlynn free kick wide right was headed powerfully to the net by Gavin Doherty at the back post to secure the points for the home side

Clonmany Shamrocks      0

Illies Celtic                          1

After an even opening period in this game the visitors broke the deadlock on 21 minutes when Adam Duffy’s cross found  Dominic Coyle to sneak in past defenders and head past Patrick Harkin at the back post. Clonmany responded on 27 minutes with Declan McLaughlin running at the Illies defence and unleashing an effort which Johnathan Noone saved well. On the stroke of half time Mark Mclaughlin’s cross fell at the feet of Christy Harkin six yards out but again Noone blocked well. Clonmany upped the tempo after the break with substitute Aaron Harkin slicing badly wide from a mark Mclaughlin cross before another cross from McLaughlin  found Jake Harkin who poked the ball forward but it came off the post. The shamrocks were awarded a penalty after harkin was adjudged to have been impeded by Noone but Noone atoned when diving to his left he stuck out his right leg and blocked Brendan Doherty ‘s weak spot kick before the Illies defence cleared. Illies were rejuvenated after  this let off and Kevin McGonigle had a shot blocked by       Patrick Harkin before Paul Doherty broke on the right but again Harkin was equal to his effort. The final chance also fell to the home side when substitute Gavin Doherty dragged an effort across goal and wide.

Strand Hotel First Division 

Aileach Res                         2

QPS                                        1

Aileach inflicted serious damage on the visitors promotion prospects with this hard fought win at Lakeside.The away had the first real effort on goal after 5 minutes when a fierce strike from Karl Donnelly was tipped over by Ciaran Bradley in the Aileach goals. A few minutes later Aileach went in front when Stephen O Donnells low cross was slotted in at the back post by Shane Mc monagle. Play moved back up the other end following a corner Andy Barr’s effort was again pushed around the post by Bradley. Aileach went two up on 20 minutes when Killian O’ Rourke’s deep free-kick was tapped in to the bottom corner by O Donnell. QPS pulled one  back 10 minutes later after Josh Boyle intercepted a loose ball in the Aileach defence to advance and curl a great shot to the top corner of Bradley’s net. The second half was a much quieter affair with both defences on top. O Rourke had a great effort on 60 minutes but his fierce drive flew just over the crossbar. QPS had a great chance to level the scores with 10 minutes to go when Aaron Mc Colgan was upended in the box but Stephen Harleys penalty came back off the post and cleared to safety. Aileach’s defence stood firm for the remainder of the game to ensure the three points.

Buncrana Res                     1

Rasheney FC                       0

An Owen Mc Namee goal gave Hearts all three points in this closely contested encounter played in very trying conditions. Hearts played with a strong breeze in the first half and it was Darrac O’ Connor who was first to test Rasheney keeper Kieran Friel early on. Friel was in action again, when after a great break from midfield by Ben Bradley, he pushed Bradley’s shot round the post for a corner. Rasheney slowly clawed their way into the game and on twenty three minutes Tyler Mc Bride broke from midfield, fed Ryan Doherty and his shot was well saved by Hearts’ keeper Mc Daid. Rasheney kept pressing and from a corner on thirty minutes Paul Mc Connellogue headed just over. The decisive act of the match came on thirty seven minutes, Michael Doherty won a free close to the right hand touchline, Gerard Boyle took the subsequent free kick which was knocked down by Niall Henderson and Mc Namee was on hand to drive the ball through a forest of legs to the back of the net, giving keeper Friel no chance. Rasheny, now playing with the breeze, started the second half brightly but their cause was not helped when they were reduced to ten men shortly after the restart. On sixty minutes the crossbar came to Hearts rescue when Ryan Doherty broke through and shot from ten yards. The game was always in doubt and neither side really got control in midfield where Dale Kerr (Buncrana) and Tyler Mc Bride (Rasheney) impressed. Ryan Doherty had several half chances for Rasheney, while Gerard Boyle (Buncrana), playing in an unfamiliar defensive role, had a couple of spectacular efforts late on. This win will give Hearts hope that they can escape relegation and feel it was just reward for a great team effort.

Sea Rovers                          0

Dunree United                   1

This was a crucial encounter for both teams at the foot of the table.Rovers went close in the opening minute when a William Logan free kick from the edge of the area drew a superb save from Sean parker in the Dunree goal. Dunree s first threat came midway through the half after Neil Moran found space but fired just over from twenty yards.       The remainder of the half saw both defences on top with neither side able to create a clear chance.Dunree started the second period well and Caolan McBride saw one free sail over the bar before another goalbound effort was cleared by a defender.Rovers responded and when Damien Ward released Conor Gallagher he advanced into the area but dragged his effort across goal and wide. Dunree spurned a great chance on 73 minutes when Neil Moran’s free crashed off the bar to Thomas Mulhern but he headed over a gaping goal. The break through came on 80 minutes when a Matthew Doherty corner deceived all and landed in the net past Glen Watson. Rovers pressed hard in the final minutes and a Gary Doherty cross was headed goalwards by Keelan Doherty but Parker made the save to seal the points.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two A  

Moville Res                         3

Clonmany Res                    2

Moville started this game well and opened the scoring on 8 minutes when a Pearse Doherty cross was headed past Liam McGonigle by Eamon Reddin. They doubled their lead midway through the half after       Matthew McLaughlin pounced on a poor clearance to drill home from six yards. Clonmany ‘s best chance came before half time when Pearse McCarron broke clear but his effort was well saved by Sean McGuinness. Clonmany got a goal back on 51 minutes when after a corner broke to Dessie Doherty who fired a shot in off the bar. They kept pressing and then equalised on 72 minutes when Doherty converted a penalty after McCarron had been upended. Moville rallied and struck for the winner when Jack Ferry advanced into the area and drilled a superb low effort from sixteen yards into the bottom corner. In the closing minutes Clonmany were reduced to ten men after Philip Devlin had received a second yellow card.

QPS  Res                               1

Greencastle Res                2

In difficult wintry conditions in Muff, Greencastle started well against the wind and Adam Harkin tested Point keeper Wallace with a low drive from twenty yards.  Joe Doherty for Greencastle, got in behind the Point defence, lobbed keeper Wallace but the ball came off the post and was scrambled clear.  Greencastle opened the scoring on 10 minutes when a mix up in the point defence presented the ball to Joe Doherty inside the area and he slotted low to the net.  QPS were stunned again on 12 mintues when Adam Harkin ran on to a quick throw and curled the ball into the net from 20 yards with keeper Wallace stranded.  Shaun McColgan for QPS ran down the wing and his low cross was miskicked by Lafferty when well placed.  QPS improved in the second half and dominated possession without troubling a well organised Greencastle defence.  QPS pulled a goal back with 5 minutes to go, when a Jack McConnellogue free was headed home by Paul Grant at the back post but the visitors saw the game out to claim the points.

Inishowen Engineering Division   2  B  

Illies Res                  8

Carn Res                   1

Carn actually started this game very well with Conor Doherty firing over the bar before Girt Dzerins was denied by a fine save from Kevin Gallagher. Illies responded and opened the scoring on 22 minutes when a Liam O Connor cross found Ronan Hegarty  to blast high to the net. They doubled their lead on the half hour after Patrick O’Connor advanced on the right and cut the ball back into the path of Hegarty to slot home. Carn reduced the deficit before the interval when a Conor Doherty cross caused confusion and deflected off a defender past Gallagher. But Illies started the second half well on top and when Hegarty beat two men he laid the ball across for Ethan Doherty to slot home.  Shane Devlin then headed home Stephen McGonigle’s cross  before Hegarty completed his hat trick to fire low past Jack Nelson . Late goals from Liam O’Connor after a scramble and two more from Hegarty for a personal tally of five completed the scoring.

Cockhill Res                        3

Carrowmena FC                 1

The first half was played in very difficult conditions with the wind and

hail as both teams struggled to adapt and settle in to the game.Cockhill had the first chance when Patrick MicLaughlin saw his first time strike go narrowly wide of Michael Noone’s left hand post. Carrowmena nearly opened the scoring midway through first half when a long kick out by Carrowmena keeper Michael Noone evaded the Cockhill defence and Gerard Gill got on the end of it but the on rushing Cockhill keeper Declan Caldwell did enough to pressure the the Carrowmena man who saw his effort go over the top.In an even first half it was Cockhill who had the last chance of the half, this time Gary Breslin fired just wide of Michael Noone goal after a good cross from the left by Patrick McLaughlin. Cockhill started the second half well in improving conditions. Their early pressure paid off on 55 minutes when a good delivery from a corner by Mark Gillespie landed in the six yard box and took a deflection off a Carrowmena defender leaving Michael Noone no chance in the Carrowmena net to give Cockhill the lead. Cockhill gained confidence from that opener and pushed hard for a second and the game turned in their favour after the introduction of Kevin McDaid and Tristan Donaghy. Firstly it was Kevin McDaid who played a great through ball for Gary Breslin who made it two nil with a fine finish from a tight angle past Michael Noone. Then on 65 minutes it was Kevin McDaid who started the move down the left, playing in Tristan Donaghy who cleverly cut the ball back to the edge of the area for Ryan Mallett who took if first time on the run and found the bottom corner of the net past Michael Noone with a well placed finish. Carrowmena did have a few opportunities and pulled one back after good play down the right when Sammy Bredin played in an excellent cross from wide right and Gerard Gill took it first time on the half volley from 10 yards high in to the net past Declan Caldwell with 15 minutes left.