Match Reports Sunday 26th September

Sunday  26th September   

FAI Junior Cup   Round One  

Letterkenny Rovers 0

Carn FC 2

Carn had the first chance on six minutes when a Dayton Cooke pass from midfield found christy McDaid who went on a great run on the right and beat two defenders but fired just wide from inside the 18 yard box. Letterkenny responded on 12 minutes when David O’Donnell broke on the right and crossed for Nathan plumb who shot high to the right and wide from 15 yards.

Carn had a great chance to go ahead when after  32 minutes when Matthew Smith made a long pass from midfield and found Cade Cooke unmarked but he failed to hit the target from close range. Carn  eventually broke the deadlock on 35 minutes when Cian Doherty released Cian Burke who beat two defenders and squared it for Cade cCooke who blasted home from fifteen yards. Letterkenny Rovers missed a great chance to equalize on 38 minutes when Leon Doherty passed to Dylan Doogan on the right wing who saw carn keeper Gavin McLaughlin off his line and he tried to lob him from 30 yards but his shot drifted low to the left and wide. Carn doubled their lead on 40 minutes when a Dylan Cooke corner on the right found Cian Burke who headed to the top corner of the net from five yards.  Letterkenny then missed a penalty on 54 minutes when David O’Donnell was upended in the 18 yard box and shot wide for the resulting penalty. Letterkenny suffered a further blow when they were reduced to 10 men on 56 minutes after Ronan Curran was sent off for a second  bookable offence. Carn nearly made it three just after the hour  when Dylan Cooke passed to his brother Cade on the right wing and he crossed  for Cian Burke who headed low to the right but was well saved by Bryan da Costa in the letterkenny goal. Letterkenny  replied and went close when a Leon Doherty free kick on the left from 35 yards found sub Tarlach O’Boyle who headed to wide from 12 yards. Carn had the final chance of the game  when sub Christy McLaughlin broke on the right wing and crossed for Cade Cooke who shot  wide when well placed.


Fanad  United 2      Fanad  win 4-2 on pens

Greencastle FC 2

Arthur Lynch’s Fanad United progressed to the second round of FAI Junior Cup after a 4-2 penalty shootout win over Pat McLaughlin’s Greencastle FC side.

Edward O’Reilly opened the scoring in the first half with Michael Barr hitting his side level from the spot. Seamus McLaughlin put Greencastle in front before Keelin McElwaine made it 2-2 at half time.Neither side could find the winner as extra time and penalties beckoned.  Fanad United were victorious after they netted four of their five spot kicks. 

There was constant rainfall prior to and during the game as neither team really got going in the opening ten minutes.  Fanad fashioned the first proper chance on the quarter hour with Paddy Quigley equal to a low shot from Keelin McElwaine. Just a few minutes later, Arthur Lynch’s team broke the deadlock courtesy of a free kick from Edward O’Reilly.  Roughly 25 yards out, O’Reilly went for goal with a left footed strike and a slight bobble took it over the diving Quigley. Greencastle slowly worked their way into the encounter and their efforts were rewarded with a spot kick in the 23rd minute after Mark McConigley brought down James Henry.  Defender Michael Barr stepped up and made no mistake, as he coolly slotted his penalty into the bottom left corner.On the half hour, Greencastle took the lead.  Kyle Harkin played a diagonal ball from left to centre and Seamus McLaughlin took a great touch on his chest to control before rolling it beyond the oncoming McConigley. 

Fanad United created a few half chances after they conceded and on the stroke of half time, they drew level. Following a big kick out, O’Reilly headed the ball forward for Declan Sweeney who played through Keelin McElwaine with the winger lashing the ball beyond Quigley.Greencastle started the second half on the front foot but despite all their possession, they failed to create any concrete opportunities.  Very few chances were created in the moments approaching or beyond the hour mark. Gavin Rowan blazed over the bar following a corner while at the other end O’Reilly had a shot which met the same fate. Jack Coyle had the best chance as extra time loomed but a close range header brushed the paint on the top of the crossbar.  With stoppage time and extra time just around the corner, Greencastle were caught on the counter and reduced to ten men after Nathan Harkin brought down  Dillon Dorian, who was bearing down on goal. Twenty extra minutes was on the cards with neither team creating any chance of note during the first half while Gavin Harkin saw a shot saved early in the second.A penalty shootout was to decide the outcome of this encounter and Fanad were up first. Both sides netted their first and missed their second penalties with Fanad then gaining an advantage as they netted their third while Greencastle had theirs saved. Two final spot kicks from Patrick McGinley and Edward O’Reilly ensured a 4-2 win for the home side.



Illies Celtic 1

Glengad United 6

The first chance of the game arrived on 15 minutes when a Stephen McLaughlin cross found Terence Doherty but he headed straight at Johnathan Noone. Illies then had a great chance midway through the half when Adrian Donaghey-Doherty  rounded keeper Michael McLaughlin but saw his goal bound effort cleared off the line by Matthew Byrne.Glengad broke the deadlock on the half hour after Cathal McDaid was upended in the area and James McKinney blasted high to the net from the spot. Within minutes the visitors added another goal with Michael Byrne heading home McDaids corner from close range. Before the  break they increased their advantage after great work on the right by Doherty saw him pull the ball back to McLaughlin who blasted to the roof of the net from twelve yards. Glengad hit the ground  running after the break and when McLaughlin broke clear on the right his cross found McKinney who made no mistake from twelve yards. On the hour Doherty fed Mclaughlin again on the right and McKinney completed his hat trick when he steered the cross low past Noone. Glengad added a sixth on 78 minutes with McDaid beating two men on left and picking out Doherty who fired to the bottom corner.  Illies gained a consolation  in the final minute when Liam Doherty split the visitors defence with a  fine pass to Brendan Grant who fired low past   McLaughlin.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Cockhill Youth 2

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Cockhill Celtic Youth had to come from a goal down today to claim the points against a well organised and physical Clonmany Shamrocks side at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds. In a scrappy opening period to the game both teams where guilty of giving up possession all too easy. Clonmany defended a few early corners from the home side with both Andrew Doherty & Oisin Hession getting strong headers to two Adam McLaughlin ‘Wanish’ deliveries from the keepers right. The visitors took the lead on 20 minutes when playing out from the back they found Jake Harkin in acres of space in centre midfield and the Clonmany number ten played a forward pass wide left to Niall McLaughlin and his first-time delivery into the box was prodded home by Conor Doherty 8 yards out past Jamie Bell in the Cockhill goal. The home side responded well and on 28 minutes they were level; after his initial corner was cleared Adam McLaughlin ‘Wanish’ cut the ball back from the by-line on the right to the unmarked Bobby Bradley who had the simple task to side foot the ball home from 5 yards out with the visitor’s keeper Kieran Friel having no chance. The game had a stoppage then when the referee had to receive attention after picking up an injury. He seen the game out until half time and was replaced for the second period. Cockhill bossed the second period but with all the possession the failed to create many clear-cut chances. A great ball into the area by Conor Allen on 58 minutes was crying out for someone to tap it to the net at the back post but the home side failed to get numbers in the box. Clonmany struggled to get any period of possession and Cockhill did open them up on 72 Minutes when Jack McDaid found himself in on goal after a Daniel Doherty pass but blazed the ball over from 18 yards. McDaid proved to be the match winner on 80 minutes when he slotted home low to the keepers right after getting onto a Adam McLaughlin pass though the defence. Clonmany pushed hard in the final ten minutes to salvage something from the game but the home defence stood firm to claim a valuable three points


Aileach FC 6

Moville Celtic 1

With 5 minutes on the clock Moville broke down the right and Conor Doherty got room on the edge of the box and unleashed a fierce drive which Darragh McLaughlin did well to tip the effort over the bar. Aileach responded and Gavin Doherty brought a fine one handed save from Seamus Houton. The home side went ahead on 12 minutes when Jordan McGeedy picked the ball up on the edge of the box and controlled superbly before firing low past Houton’s left hand. The second goal  arrived within 3 minutes when McGeedy picked the ball up in midfield and sprayed a lovely crossfield ball for Darren McMonadle who advanced and finished low past Houton. Moville were creating chances but were wasteful in the final third. Aileach got their third   on the half hour when Keelan Doherty got clear down the left and fired goalwards the ball rebounded  off the post back to the same player who teed up Darren McMonagle to finish wide of Houton’s dive.

Moville began the second half on fire and had the home side under pressure. On 50 minutes Conor Gillen spurned a good chance when he was teed up by Michael McNaught but his side foot effort went narrowly wide. Minutes later McNaught  fashioned a shooting chance for himself from the edge of the box which brought a fine save from McLaughlin. On the hour Ryan McColgan broke down the right and pulled the ball back for Conor Doherty but his effort from 12 yards flew just over. The home side were sloppy during this period giving the ball away too easily and were fortunate not to be punished. They were always dangerous going forward and midway through the half  Darren McMonagle and Keelan Doherty combined well in the box for McMonagle to complete his hat trick firing past Houton from 12 yards. Almost immediately Moville got a deserved goal back when substitute Pearse Doherty collected the ball wide on the left before cutting in and curling a superb effort to the top corner from 20 yards past McLaughlins despairing dive. They could have grabbed a second moments later when Michael McNaught got clear on the right and drove forward but his shot from an angle was comfortable for McLaughlin. On 70 minutes Aileach got a fifth when Jordan McGeedy got on the end of a Dermot Doherty cross and finished well past Houton. The same player capped a fine performance on 80 minutes when he completed his hat trick driving into the box and calmly rounding Houton and sliding the ball home. Although Seamus Houton conceded six he pulled of some fantastic saves throughout the game and had Moville’s finishing been more clinical they could have had more to show for their efforts.


Strand Hotel Division One   

Clonmany Res 4


Clonmany started brightly and QPS keeper Conor McColgan was called into action in the 3rd minute to save a Mark McLaughlin shot from the edge of the box. QPS  then forced Clonmany keeper Liam McGonigle into two saves in the 10th and 12th minutes, first from Eoghan Rafferty and secondly from Josh Boyle. Clonmany replied and a Mark McLaughlin  effort saw Conor McColgan tipping his  goal bound effort over the bar in the midway through the half. It was third time lucky for  McLaughlin in the 40th minute when he was put through and finished to the bottom corner from just inside the box to give Clonmany the lead at half time. Clonmany doubled their lead in the 57th minute after a short free kick was played to Pearse McCarron who broke into the box and sent a right foot shot just inside the QPS right hand post. Pearse got his second and Clonmany’s third in the 75th minute after Brian Devlin’s pass sent him clear and he shot to the top corner giving Conor McColgan no chance. Clonmany’s fourth goal came in the 81st minute when Mark McLaughlin broke clear onto Paul McLaughlin’s pass and his shot went under Conor McColgan’s dive to the bottom right hand corner.  QPS scored a consolation goal in the 85th minute when Josh Boyle finished low past Liam McGonigle to the bottom corner to leave the final score four one.


Redcastle United 4

Dunree United 0

Dunree had the first chance of the game when Liam Baldrick fired a free kick from the edge of the area just over the bar. Redcastle replied and opened the scoring on 27 minutes after  Stephen Grant crossed for Darragh McConway to drill past Adam Harrington  to the bottom corner. Dunree responded and when Kyle McDaid crossed Philip Doherty headed just over the bar. But Redcastle increased their lead minutes before half time when Brendan Murphy fed Stephen Grant who beat his man and crossed for Sean Curran to fire home from ten yards. Minutes after the interval Alan Clarke released Jack Ferry who rounded Philip Doherty and slotted home to make it three nil. The home side made it four nil on 68 minutes when Clarke cushioned a header into the path of Murphy who fired  first time to the net. Dunree kept battling and Baldrick fired a free just over before Baldrick released Conor Drury but his effort was saved by Michael McCole. 

Glengad Res 2

Gleneely Colts 2

The home side started the better and Paul McGonagle fired a twenty yards free just over in the third minute before Fergal Doherty fired just wide from the edge of the area on 8 minutes. But the Colts took the lead on 21 minutes after Paul Gamble flicked a Billy McCann free kick past Michael McLaughlin in the home goal. But Glengad continued to be on top and Gary Kelly had an effort tipped round the post by Gallagher at full stretch. On the stroke of half time the home side went close again with Jason Doherty’s deflected shot superbly saved by Gallagher. It was the visitors who began the second period well and on 49 minutes Gamble fired wide when well placed. But the same player doubled the Colts lead minutes later finding space inside the area before firing low to the corner. Glengad rallied and  got a goal back on 70 minutes after McGonagle drilled low to the corner past Gallagher after a period of sustained pressure on the Colts goal. Five minutes later Niall McColgan was again denied by Gallagher. It looked like the Colts had kept the hosts at bay but in injury time Gary Kelly squeezed the ball past Gallagher from a tight angle to earn a share of the spoils.

Greencastle Youth 2

Culdaff FC 5

Culdaff started the game brightly and in the 8th minute the referee deemed that Aidan Cunningham was taken down in the box and Cunningham picked himself up to score the resulting spot kick. Greencastle responded when a Tiernan Canning free kick was well saved by Pauric O’Donnell  before  Culdaff broke quickly  and from a resulting corner Bryan McCandless hit the post. Michael Gillespie then slid Jason Dickson through but O’Donnell made another good save and the resulting shot was deflected over by a defender. Culdaff doubled their lead after a deflected cross from McCandless spun into the net. Greencastle  got back into the game before the interval with  a Josh Lafferty free kick finding the bottom corner. The first ten minutes of the second half was tussle for midfield dominance.  Culdaff made it three one  when Dillon Ruddy bundled home  after the home defence had failed to clear a corner. Greencastle again hit back quickly with Mark Murray squaring for Jason Dickson to make it three two to the visitors. Entering the last ten minutes as Greencastle pushed for an equaliser, Culdaff broke and McCandless  broke forward and squared for Jack McLaughlin to extend the lead. In the dying minutes of the games Culdaff caught the home side on the counter again  with Keith Norris breaking clear and unselfishly setting up McCandless to make it  five and complete the scoring.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Rasheney FC 5

Sea Rovers 1

The home side hit the front after eight minutes when Ronan Shovlin got to the bye line and delivered into the six yard box where John Grant stabbed home. At the other end Declan Mc Gonagle surged into the left hand side to the area where he was challenged by Shane Gordon and the ball broke to Andrew Gallagher whose powerful drive was beaten away by keeper Damien Friel. Rasheney created the more chances with Sea Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin advancing to claim a Shane Cregan effort after he had been played through the centre and keeper Friel having a 25 yard free held high by Mc Laughlin. With half an hour gone a corner was laid back to Grant and his long diagonal cross was headed to the net by Anthony Doherty to double the advantage. Caylum Long then threaded a thru ball into the path of Cormac Dillon but advancing keeper Mc Laughlin made an excellent save. However, he was out of luck when the recycled ball dipped in under the crossbar from Dillon’s chip to make it 3 – 0. Grant had a close range shot kicked off the line by the keeper and he continued to perform heroics when Grant robbed a defender inside the area and set up Dillon who sidestepped a defender and seemed certain to score but Mc Laughlin denied him with a fantastic save. Early in the second half Rasheney increased their lead after a build up involving David Mc Laughlin and Cregan, Long found the net. It was not all one way traffic and the visitors got back into the match when Daniel Gallagher laid off to namesake Andrew and his low ground shot from 14 yards found the bottom corner. And they could have had another when Mc Gonagle found himself one on one with Friel but he dinked his shot wide. But the four goal margin was restored when Mc Laughlin’s good work on the left teed up Cregan to score. Sea Rovers were proving competitive and could have added to their score. Daniel Gallagher’s effort was over the angle of the goals, Tiernan Stevens free from distance was just over and Caolan Doherty got deep inside the area but his close range ground shot was hacked away by Friel.


Carrowmena FC 5

Culdaff Res 2

In excellent morning conditions at TRemone the home side opened the scoring on 8 minutes  after Ronan Doherty broke in from the left and fired across keeper Dermot Callaghan for Ryan McDermott to slot home. They increased their lead minutes later after  Michale Henry released Doherty and he calmly slotted to the corner. The visitors got a goal back when miscommunication in the home defence ended with the ball eluding Michael Noone and landing in the net. Carrowmena had a chance on the half hour but Tony McClenaghan fired staright at Callaghan when well placed before Doherty saw an effort clipped the outside of the post. Culdaff responded and equalised before the break when Reece McDaid pounced on a loose ball inside the area and fired past Noone. Carrowmena regained the lead in the opening minute of the second half after Doherty and Henry combined  to find McDermott who fired home from close range. McDermott then completed his hat trick on 58 minutes firing home from the edge of the area giving Callaghan no chance.

They completed the scoring on 84 minutes when Adam Harkins  inswinging cross  found Doherty to slot home from eight yards.


Carn Res 5

Clonmany Youth 1

Carn Reserves picked up where they left off last week and after 12 minutes Kyran Cantwell’s cross eluded all defenders and  landed in the back of the net. Clonmany youths looked shaken and two minutes later Girts Dzerins played a fantastic ball through the Clonmany defense for Kyran Cantwell to tuck away the second of the match. Carn Reserves kept the pressure on and Mathew Lafferty fired home from close range, making it 3-0 to Carn after 24 minutes. Jack Doherty came close for Clonmany with a free kick  just before the break. Clonmany started the second half well after 53 minutes Tieran McDaid’s shot ended up in the back of the net after a mistake in the Carndonagh defence to reduce the deficit. But the home side  regained control and after 61 minutes, substitute Conor McLauglin (S) put in a cracker of a ball for Kyran Cantwell to complete his hatrick. It wasn’t to be for Clonmany Youths although they did come close when Niall McDaid hit the crossbar with 67 minutes on the clock. With 10 minutes left to play Kyran Cantwell played in Conor Mclaughlin who made no mistake and wrapped things up for Carn. 


Dunree Res 1

Rasheney Res 3

After a slow opening to this game the visitors opened the scoring midway through the half after an Alan Doherty  free kick eluded all defenders and nestled in the corner of the net. Five minutes later they doubled their lead when Joey Holland pounced on a defensive error and drilled home. Rasheney continued on top after the break and got their third goal on the hour mark when Jake O’Donnell burst into the area and rounded David Eccles in the home goal before slotting home. Dunree battled back and reduced the deficit on 77 minutes when a Tommy Doherty effort rebounded to Neil Moran who calmly slotted past Roger McGilloway. But Rasheney  saw out the remainder of the game to claim their first win of the season.


Cockhill Res 1

Illies Res 3

The first half ended goalless with few chances created by either team, defences on top and most of the play confined to the middle third of the pitch.

Illies took the lead early in the second half from the penalty spot, Dominic Doherty firing the penalty into the corner past Eoin Colhoun. Cockhill were level shortly after when James McGonagle kept his composure to finish low past Graham Doherty when played through by Sean McColgan. But 

Illies regained the lead from a corner with the ball rebounding in off Paul Devlin into the Cockhill net. Cockhill had a few good chances to pull level the best one falling to Andy McIlhinney from a great cross ball from Kevin McDaid but his first time effort just went narrowly past the post. Illies sealed the win late on when an Alan Fletcher shot took a huge deflection leaving Eoin Colhoun with no chance.


Aileach Youth 0

Buncrana Res 6

Buncrana Reserves proved much too strong for a youthful Aileach side.  Right from the off Buncrana put Aileach under early pressure but Aileach held firm.  Aileach almost scored on a breakaway when Shea Cuffe released Gareth McLaughlin who shot from the edge of the box was touched round the post by Oran McBride in the Buncrana goal.  Buncrana got their noses in front on 15 minutes in contentious circumstances when Michael Doherty when down in the box for a penalty.  Stephen McHugh slotted the penalty into the bottom corner past Dylan Clarke.  On the half hour, Buncrana doubled their advantage when a corner from the right wasn’t properly cleared and Decky Fullerton swept the ball home from five yards.  Buncrana kept the pressure on with Clarke forced to make some saves from long range shots.  Buncrana made it three nil just before half time when McHugh released Fullerton in the box and he got to the ball just before Clarke to poke home.  The start of the second half was a much more even affair with few chances.  Buncrana ended the game as a contest with 20 minutes to go after Eoin McNamee collected a McHugh cross, swivelled sharply in the box and slotted into the bottom corner.  With 10 minutes to go, Buncrana were awarded another penalty after a trip, McHugh again made no mistake from the spot.  The scoring was wrapped up with five minutes to go when Adlen Doherty scored from close range past Clarke.