Match Reports Sunday 26th November

Inishowen Football League Reports  26th November 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Moville Celtic 2

Greencastle FC 2

There was an even start to this local derby at a wet Glencrow and the home sides had the first attempt on goal with a Michael McCarron free saved by Jason McCallion.

Greencastle responded and Odhran Kennedy and  two Nigel McMonagle efforts were well saved by Ryan Coyle in the home goal. The visitors took the lead in the 38th minute after a Michael Henry cross was volleyed to the roof of the net by Nathan Harkin from twelve yards. Moville began the second half well and on 55 minutes Andrew McCarron broke clear of the Greencastle defence but was denied by McCallion. They equalised midway through the half after Norbert Indyka released Ryan McColgan who raced clear and finished well past McCallion. Moville then stunned the visitors in the 89th minute when they took the lead after McCallion parried a Lee McColgan free kick only as far as Andrew McCarron who slotted home from close range. But in injury time Greencastle salvaged a point after a Shaun Doherty free was superbly saved by Coyle but DJ Canavan reacted first to slot home.


Aileach FC 2

Glengad United 1

The home side had the first chance of note on 15 minutes when Gavin Doherty released Aaron Nash but the centre forward was unlucky to see his effort from a narrow angle come back off a post and away to safety. Midway through the half  Gavin Doherty wriggled clear inside the box and fired a left footed shot which Seamus Doherty gathered comfortably. Glengad always looked dangerous on the break with Terence Doherty’s pace posing problems for McMonagle and Gallagher at the centre of Aileach’s defence but young Dylan Porter wasn’t seriously troubled in the home goal. The second half turned out to be a much more open affair with both side taking it in turns to attack. Glengad had the first chance when they won back possession high up the pitch and a right wing cross was headed goalwards by John Gerard McLaughlin but it slid narrowly wide of Porter’s right hand post. On 65 minutes the home side finally broke the deadlock when Dermot Doherty got to the bye line and crossed for Aaron Nash to finish from close range. Just five  minutes later Aileach should have doubled their lead when Caoimhin McFeeley glided between  defenders but his finish from ten yards was pulled wide of Doherty’s post. They would pay the price ten minutes after this  when a deep cross was turned home by Christy McLaughlin from six yards . Both sides felt they could grab a winner and the remainder of the game was helter skelter affair with chances a plenty and some last ditch defending. With five mins left Christy McLaughlin picked the ball up twenty five yards from goal and struck a fine shot which Dylan Porter did brilliantly to turn on to the crossbar and gather at the second attempt. With the game heading for a draw a neat one two between Gavin Doherty and Niall McGlynn resulted in the former racing into the box before rounding Doherty who caught the attacker and caused him to stumble but he kept going and crossed for what seemed a tap in but a defender managed to get a foot to it and turn it wide. From the resulting corner Doherty got a hand to the ball but as he scooped it clear it was handled by a retreating defender and from the resulting spot kick Gavin Doherty kept his cool and sent the keeper the wrong way for the winner .


Carn FC 0

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

This was a close hard fought affair with  very few chances and defences on top throughout. Midway through the half Clonmany keeper Liam McGonigle  was fortunate to escape  with a yellow for a handball outside the  area. The only real chance of the half fell to the home side but Cade Cooke fired a free kick over the bar from the edge of the area.The second half followed the same pattern as the first half with a lot of the play concentrated in the midfield area. Clonmany struck for the crucial goal in the 87th minute after an inswinging corner was  not dealt with by the Carn defence and  Jake Harkin fired home at the back post. Carn responded and forced a couple of corners before a late free kick from Cooke was well saved by McGonigle as the visitors recorded their fifth league win on the trot.

FAI Junior Cup

Mullingar Athletic 1

Buncrana Hearts 3

While the home side began brightly they failed to trouble the Hearts defence and gradually the visitors took control of the game. Eoin Murphy fire dover the bar from the edge of the area before Matthew Brown cut inside from the right and unleashed  a terrific effort which was brilliantly saved  by Martin in the Mullingar goal. Martin then produced another superb save denying Shaunie Bradley from close range before reacting superbly to turn Christy McKinleys slightly deflected effort  around the post. The only blemish Martin made was when he spilled Bradleys effort but he reacted superbly to gather at the feet of McKinley. Buncrana s final chance came when James Adair fed Adam Curran on the edge of the area but again Martin was on hand to save as the half ended scoreless. Against the run of play the home side opened the scoring after Siode latched onto a long ball and drilled low past Taylor Clarke in the Hearts goal. Buncrana responded immediately with good work by Curran who slipped the ball into the path of Jamie McDaid to slot home. Despite being on top it took the visitors until the 70th minute to go ahead after great play by Brown cutting in from the left before setting up Bradley to cooly slot home. The home side were dangerous on the break and forced a corner which fell to Archibald on the edge of the area but he fired over. Sean Mullan then set up Jamie McDaid but he hesitated allowing Martin to save again. The hearts sealed the tie on 87 minutes when in a quick break Mullan released Kieran McDaid to apply a cool finish.

Buncrana Hearts Goal Scorer’s K. Mc Daid, J. Mc Daid and S. Bradley


Arlington FC 0

Cockhill Celtic 3

Played in heavy conditions Cockhill  had the opening attempt on goal when Lee McColgan fired over the bar from the edge of the area. Harry Doherty in the Cockhill goal was called on to clear a long ball but apart from that the home side failed to trouble him.  Cockhill took the  lead in the 26th minute when McColgans inswinging corner was met with a glancing near post header from Garbhan Friel which nestled in the corner. But they were dealt a huge blow before the break when the influential McColgan was red carded for two yellow cards inside a minute much to the disbelief of the visitors. Cockhill  despite their numerical disadvantage controlled the second half and added a second goal on 68 minutes with a Corey McBride free kick to the back post finding Lee McLaughlin who poked home at full stretch. Within minutes they added another when Luke Rudden split the defence for Friel to run onto the ball and fire low across the keeper to the far corner. Cockhill saw out the remainder of the game comfortably to advance.

Garbhan Friel and Lee Mc Laughlin Cockhill Celtic Goal Scorers

Strand Hotel First Division

Redcastle United 1

Buncrana Res 1

The league leaders got a dream start when they were awarded a penalty for handball in the 8th minute allowing Darragh McConway to convert. Buncrana responded and when Adam Doherty  cut inside from the left his effort was well saved by Michael McCole. They sent close again with a Michael Doherty free kick on the edge of the area flashing over the bar. The home side  then had a chance with Cahir McLaughlin  finding Marc Bell whose low shot was well saved. Buncrana got back on terms  in fortuitous fashion after McCole played the ball to a defender who over hit the back pass and the ball ended up in the net. Buncrana had the first chance of the second half when  Michael Doherty got on the end of an Adam Doherty cross but fired over the bar from fifteen yards.  The home side replied with Jack McConalogue finding McConway but his effort was saved. Midway through the half Bell crossed for Darren Kelly but he headed over before the same player headed just wide from a Stephen Grant cross as the league leaders upped the tempo. But the visitors weathered the storm and claimed a share of the spoils.


Carn Res 3

Aileach Res 1

Carn started the game on the front foot and tested Aileach keeper David McGeady early on when Shay Fallon shot low at the near post. Carn did make the pressure tell and after 9 minutes they opened the scoring. Conan Gibbons picked up the ball on the edge of the box and rifled his finish into the bottom right corner of McGeadys goal. Again Carn pressed and again McGeady was called into action. This time Dayton Cooke came close with strike from the corner of the box was saved by the feet of McGeady. Midway through the half the home side doubled their advantage and it  was a carbon copy of the first goal. Again, Gibbons strike from the edge of the box found the bottom corner to. Just before halftime Aileach put some pressure on from a corner but it was well dealt with. In the second half Aileach started brightly without really testing Geard Crossan in the Carn goal. Despite the early pressure it was Carn who found the net. A low corner from Dayton Cooke took an unfortunate deflection and found the net. Aileach threw everything forward and got some joy through Steven Doherty out the right. Aileach got a lifeline 15 minutes before the end. Josh Boyle unleashed a powerful strike from 20 yards out which found the corner. Aileach continued to press to get back into the game and were unlucky to see a Steven Doherty shot drag wide but the home side  saw the game out and took all three points.



Rashenny FC 0

Chances were at a premium in this game in Muff with defences on top for long periods. The first chance arrived for the home side in the 22nd minute when John McCloskey found space to unleash a shot but it was well saved. Rashenny responded before the break with a Damien Friel header well gathered by  Conor O Neill in the point goal. Rashenny  created the first chance of the second half in the 56th minute when John  Mclaughlin advanced and unleashed an effort but O Neill was equal to it. The home side then had a good chance in the 72nd minute but Aaron Scotts effort was saved by the visitors keeper. Both sides pushed hard for a winner in the latter stages but failed to create any clear openings.




Cockhill Youths 5

Clonmany Res 0

The home side started well and both Paul Mullan and Darragh McDermott were denied by good saves from Kieran Friel. Cockhill opened the scoring midway through the half after great footwork from Kieran McElroy who pulled the ball back for McDermott to volley home from six yards. McDermott then had an effort cleared off the line before Oisin Crawford saw an effort crash back off the post. Two goals in as many minutes put the home side in command. McDermott scored the second with  another volley from a PJ Doherty cross before Paul Mullan unmarked finished at the back post. Friel then made a great save to deny Mullan but was powerless to prevent a Shane Mclaughlin  header from a free kick making it four nil. It  was five nil in the 75th minute after an unfortunate own goal off a defender trying to intercept a ball.


Greencastle Youths 2

Dunree United 0

In wet conditions at Chapel Lane it was Dunree who had the first chance. The ball was played through to Gerry Farrell whose effort went narrowly wide. Greencastle had a great chance to take the lead from a penalty after a handball in the box. Kyle Harkin stepped up but his shot was saved well down to the keepers right. From the resulting corner Greencastle did take the lead. Good pressure from Shay Doherty in the Dunree box made the ball run free to Paul Brennan who finished well into the corner. Both teams battled well without any real chances with both defenses working hard. Just before half time Greencastle nearly doubled their lead. Christy Diver unleashed a drive from 25 yards towards the top corner that cannoned off the crossbar. Greencastle extended their lead 10 minutes into the second half. Good play from Christy Hegerty down the left and the ball eventually fell to Christy Diver who expertly placed the ball into the top right corner. Shortly after that Dunree were reduced to ten men for an off the ball incident. Greencastle continued to have the better possession but Dunree were looking dangerous from long balls but the home defence stood firm. In the end Greencastle held on for a good win.

Greencastle Youths with their New Strip


Ulster Junior Shield 

Ramelton Mariners 1

Cockhill Colts 3

The visitors advanced to the next round with an excellent win over the home side on Saturday. They began well and took the lad in the 6th minute after a Joe Doherty cross found Paul McKinney to head to the roof of the net from eight yards. They doubled their lead in the 35th minute after a Liam O Donnell cross was headed home by Seamus Gill to put them in control at the break. The home side rallied on the restart and reduced the deficit midway through the half with the unmarked Shay McFadden heading past Graham Doherty from six yards. Ramelton pressed hard for an equalizer but the visitors  sealed the tie in the 87th minute after O’Donnell released Gavin Doheerty on the left and he hooked the ball over the keeper from the edge of the area and into the net.

Inish Grass  Division Two Shield 

Illies Res 4

Glengad Res 2

The home   side started well and opened the scoring in the 10th minute after an Oran Doherty free kick was headed home by William McLaughlin. They increased their advantage midway through the half with Doherty converting a penalty low past Oran Raymond after martin Coyle was upended. Glengad  battled back and reduced the deficit on 39 minutes when Niall McColgan fired to the roof of the net from twelve yards after the home defence failed to clear following a corner. But Illies regained their two goal advantage  on the stroke of half time when Coyle s deep cross was headed home by McLaughlin for his second of the game. Illies were on top after the restart but had to wait until the 70th minute to add to their tally when Ruairi Greene drove through a crowd of players to the bottom corner. Again Glengad responded and got a goal back with a superb chip from twenty five yards by McColgan catching home keeper Conor Doherty  off guard. But the home side saw the game out to claim the points.


Rashenny ROVERS 0

Aileach Youths 4

The  visitors dominated the opening half and but for a plethora of saves from Roger McGilloway in the home goal the game would  have been over as a contest. He denied Aaron C Doherty  in the 12th minute before Ryan Wilson blazed over the bar shortly after. When Ciaran Bradley broke clear of the home defence McGilloway advanced to smother at his feet before Noah Edwards fired wide when well placed. The visitors broke the deadlock in the 39th minute after Dohertys effort was blocked by a defender but the ball fell to Bradley to slot home . Doherty then had their final chance of the half after breaking clear but again McGilloway was  there  to deny him. The pattern continued in the second half and a Daithi Grant goalbound effort was superbly tipped over by McGilloway who also gathered a header from the  corner by Grant. Grant then had  a low twenty five yards effort tipped around the post. Rashenny responded with  their only attempt on goal after Shea Grant fed Leonardo McGlinchey on the left who cut in and saw his effort saved by Dylan Clarke. Aileach then added three goals in a five minute spell to seal the tie. On 70 minutes Aaron Doherty converted  from close range in a crowded area after the home side failed to clear a corner. Minutes later Doherty weaved his way into the penalty area  and scored with a diagonal low shot across Mc Gilloway. They completed the scoring when substitute Charlie Campbell broke clear and side stepped the advancing keeper  to slot home. Another substitute Aaron Bradley had a late chance but again McGilloway made the save.


Gleneely Colts 4

Culdaff Res 0

Culdaff were first to show on 6 minutes when a ball in from Oisin McLaughlin, found Benny McLaughlin  on the edge of the box but he shot over. Gleneely had their first chance when a ball from Ryan Tabbitt found Shane Diver but he shot wide when well placed. Gleneely had another chance after Tristan McColgan did well out wide and his ball found Billy McCann at the back post but his shot was well saved by Oran Douglas from close range. The visitors responded midway through the half with a Brendan McLaughlin  free kick that evaded everyone at the back post and went wide. Gleneely then hit the visitors with a three goal salvo in a ten minute spell before the break. They took the lead on 38 minutes when Darragh Canny found Billy McCann out wide and  his cross into the box found Tristan McColgan who poked home from close range. Then  a corner from  McCann found Ryan Tabbitt at the back post who  laid the ball to McColgan and he finished into the bottom corner from eight  yards. On the strike of half time   Gleneely added a third after  McCann found Shane Diver who  did well to turn the defender and laid the ball to the in rushing Mark McGonigle to slot home from ten yards. Minutes after the restart the nhome side killed the game as a contest when after  a mix up in the Culdaff defence Diver fired home from eight yards out. Culdaff should have got a goal back but McLaughlin  somehow shot wide when well placed. Gleneely saw the game out comfortably in the end to score an emphatic victory.


Dunree Res 3

Moville Res 1

The home aside started well and  Paddy Doherty fired them ahead with a fine finish after a great ball in from John Moran.  Movile responded and a Luke McFadenn effort drifted wide. Dunree had a good spell then with James Quinn blasting over when well placed before they doubled their lead. Daniel Downey collected the ball advanced and unleashed a superb twenty five yards strike to  the bottom corner past Vernon Kelly. Moville responded and went close with a good effort from Marcus Rule. The same player got the visitors back into the game when he got on the end of McFaddens cross to slot home. Dunree  started the second half well and John Moran had one effort  blocked before seeing another saved by Kelly. They increased their lead in the 71st minute after Morans deep cross found Paddy Doherty who slotted home  from close range. James Quinn then fired one chance over the bar before seeing another crash off the bar before being cleared by the Moville defence. The visitors had late chances with McFaddens effort saved by Oran Doherty before Andrei Kylmenko  fired into the side netting from a tight angle.


Redcastle Res 2

Cockhill Res 11

Cockhill proved much too strong for Redcastle in a one-sided game at Foyle Park. Cockhill took the lead after 5 minutes when a pass from Caolan Moore put Shane Gallagher through and he scored from ten yards. The same two players combined to make it two  this time Gallagher the provider setting Moore up to score from five yards.It was three nil for Cockhill after 20 minutes after a brilliant strike from twenty yards by Niall Breslin found the top corner. Redcastle had a chance after 30 minutes when after a cross from Shay Sweeney but Gary Kelly’s header was well saved by Lee McCarron in the Cockhill goals. It was four after 35 minutes when a cross from Christopher Doyle was headed home by Shane Gallagher. Gallagher completed his hat trick after 40 minutes after being set up by Niall Breslin he scored low into the corner from 10 yards. Caolan Moore made it six on the stroke of half-time after good wing play by Christopher Doyle. Cockhill started the second half well and scored again on the 50th minute when Caolan Moore completed his hat trick scoring from ten yards after being teed up by Shane Gallagher. After 55 minutes  Ethan OToole got on the end of a cross from Christopher Doyle tapping home from  six yards. They made it nine on the hour  with Niall Breslin heading home from a cross from Moore . Redcastle got a goal back in the 70th minute when a shot from Darren Harkin hit the post and came out to Oisin Davenport who scored from close range. Redcastle kept plugging away and scored again when Lennon McLaughlins pass sent Gary Kelly through and he hammered the ball into the net from 29 yards. But  Cockhill scored again when a pass from Ethan OToole was dispatched by Liam McDaid into the net. They got their final goal in injury time when Caolan Moore took a pass from Niall Breslin and scored high into the net from 20 yards.


Carrowmena FC 2

Rashenny RES 1

In the early exchanges Cathal Crumlish for the home side fired over while at the other end Shane Ward was denied by a good save from Ciaran Bonner. The home side got on top then with Ivan Smith seeing an effort saved before the  same player headed  a Crumlish cross over the bar.  Brian Houten then went on a mazy run cutting in from the left but from a tight angle fired into the side netting. Rashenny had the last chance of the half but Caylum Long fired wide from ten yards. The visitors started the second half well and had a couple of good chances0  Long fired wide when well placed from six yards out before a Kyle Doherty cross picked out Diarmait Keogh but he also failed to hit the target from close range. Carrowmena regained control and when a Gerard Gill cross found Crumlish his header crashed off the bar. The home side then broke the deadlock midway through the half after Smith beat a defender and crossed to the back post where Ruairi Dougal headed home. They added a second on the stroke of full time with  Crumlish heading home a Smith cross from six yards. Rashenny got a consolation in injury time after Long converted a penalty low to the bottom right after a handball in the area.


Sea Rovers 2


The visitors took an early lead through Simon Wallace  when Sea Rovers failed to clear from a corner allowing Wallace to slot home from close range. Rovers were then  denied after  Declan Mc Gonagle beat the defence but Stephen Slattery in the QPS pulled of a fine save. Both teams struggle to make any real chances with defences on top  until  Rovers got a free kick inside the opposition half and after  Daniel Gallagher  delivery was  cleared to the edge of the box a well struck shot by Oisin Hasson went over the keeper to the roof of the net to leave the sides level at the interval.  Rovers broke after the interval and Conor Mc Closkey came close when the keeper saved well but the rebound fell to Andrew Gallagher who tapped in from close range . A more vibrant Rovers in the second half took the game to QPS and a free kick outside the box taken by Joey Holland came of the cross bar. Conor Mc Closkey then saw one effort go just wide with minutes later another effort went just over the bar. The QPS defence was busy and denied Declan Mc Gonagle and Andrew Gallagher in the closing  stages.