Match Reports Sunday 25th September

Sunday 25th September 

FAI Junior Cup  Round 1  

Buncrana Hearts 4

Gweedore  Celtic 0

Buncrana  dominated the opening half from start to finish and got off to a dream start when they scored in the third minute.

A superb move began with  James Adair finding Matthew Brown and his cross was sidefooted home by Sean Mullan giving Joseph McGee no chance. They continued to dominate and added a second goal on 33 minutes when Adam Curran fed John Timlin and his superb cross was headed home by Brown. Before the break they went close again after a Christy McKinley effort just cleared the bar. The hearts increased their lead on 55 minutes when Mullan raced onto Calvin Gallaghers ball over the top to round McGee and slot home. On the hour mark it was four nil with John Timlin cutting in from the right and finishing  superbly to the top corner. The final chance also fell to the home side with Ryan Doherty s cross finding Bart Wesolowski but he headed over the bar.

Illies Celtic 1

Aileach FC 4   (AET )

The opening twenty minutes saw a lot of the play in the midfield area and defences well on top. Illies created the first chance  midway through the half when Sean McCallion broke on the right and when his cross found Liam  Doherty he could only fire straight at  Matthew Gallagher. In an identical move McCallion again crossed but Doherty fired wide when well placed. Aileach responded and on the stroke of half time Gareth McGlynn released Caoimhin McFeely but his effort just cleared the bar.  Illies then opened the scoring on 55minutes after Sean McCallion burst into the area and saw his effort take a huge deflection and loop over Gallagher. Aileach responded well and Gavin Doherty fired over before McGlynn fired wide after a corner broke to him. They went even closer then after another corner broke to Mark McElhinney whose well hit effort crashed off the bar. Illies also went close and a Paul Doherty free also cannoned off the bar. Aileachs pressure told when they forced extra time after Keelan Doherty despatched a free kick from the edge of the area around the wall and into the bottom corner. Aileach took the lead two minutes into extra time when Gavin Doherty slipped Keelan Doherty  in to slide the ball low past Graham Doherty. On the stroke of half time Denver Kelly was upended and Doherty completed his hat trick. Doherty then completed a personal four goal tally in the second period with a superb finish after Darren Bradley had found him on the edge of the area.

Carn FC 0

Milford United 2

Carn started well with Cade Cooke seeing an early  effort saved by  Caolan McGettigan before Kyran Cantwell somehow hooked the ball over the bar from close range  after a corner had fallen into his path.Somewhat against the run of play the visitors took the lead when Johnny Logue threaded a ball into the path of Liam Donnelly to finish well past Ben Miller. Before the break the home side were unlucky when a  Cantwell effort was blocked on the line by keeper McGettigan. Carn started the second half well with Brandon Browne denied by McGettigan , Conan Gibbons seeing a shot blocked on the line  before Ciaran O Kane had a header come off the underside of the bar. As in the first half Milfrod then increased their lead when  the home defence failed to deal with a long kick out allowing Donnelly to race clear and fire past Miller to the top corner. The visitors were reduced to ten men then after Logue was redcarded for a second caution. The home side kept pressing but could not breach the visitors defence.

Culdaff FC 0

Greencastle FC 5

In blustery conditions at Caratra Park  Greencastle were first to show when Nigel McMonagle ‘s cross fell to substitute   Shay McLaughlin but he volleyed straight at Zach Conlon. They took the lead on 19minutes after the home defence failed to cut out a Michael Henry cross and McMonagle pounced to drill  expertly to the bottom corner from twelve yards. Culdaff  responded and Dillon Ruddy unleashed a twenty yards effort which just cleared the bar. At the other end a Michael Barr free also sailed over just before the half ended. With the wind in the second half Greencastle pushed the home side back and increased their lead when Shea Mclaughlin won possession and fired a superb shot from twenty yards to the bottom  corner. Mclaughlin added another when McMonagle flicked Henrys cross into his path  to slot home from six yards. They made it four nil on 83 minutes after Gerry Gill rifled a twenty yards free into the bottom corner. They completed the scoring when substitute Seamus Mclaughlin finished well after a superb pass from McGonagle.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Clonmany Shamrocks 3

Glengad United 1

Glengad were the better team for most of the opening half and on 7 minutes Terence Doherty raced onto a Stephen McLaughlin pass but saw his effort was deflected wide by keeper Gavin McLaughlin. Midway through the half McLaughlin did well to punch Stephen Mclaughlins free clear. On 29 minutes a speculative John G McLaughlin ball forward was controlled well by Conor O Neill but his shot was well blocked by Conor Bradley. In the final action of the half Terence Doherty went on a mazy run but failed to hit  the target with his effort. Clonmany then stunned the visitors when they took the three minutes after the restart after Matthew Brennan swung in a free kick and Jake Harkin slotted home from close range. Glengad pressed without creating any chances and fell further behind after a long clearance released Pearse McCarron to race clear and round Gallagher to slot home. Glengad got back into the gamein the 82nd minute when John G McLaughlin calmly converted a penalty after Stephen McLaughlin had been upended. But Clonmany sealed the points when another free from Brennan found substitute Aaron Harkin who looped  a header over the head of Gallagher.

Moville Celtic 3

Cockhill Celtic Youths 1

After a close competitive start to this clash the home side scored with their first real chance on 25 minutes after  Jake Morrow fired a superb twenty five yards free to the top corner. Cockhill almost hit back immediately but Eoin McLaughlin fired wide when well placed. Moville went close again but Paul Smiths header was well saved by Eoin Colhoun but they added their second on 43 minutes. Good play from Smith saw him release Shane Deery  and he finished well past Colhoun. The home side increased  their lead on the hour after an Aaron McGurk  cross  deflected off a defender past Colhoun. Cockhill to their credit battled well and reduced the  deficit when Kieran McElroy fired low past Stephen Teles from inside the area. They went close again  with a brilliant outside of the foot strike from  Oisin O Flaherty brilliantly tipped onto the bar by Teles who also produced a couple of smart saves to keep the home side in front.

Strand Hotel First  Division 

Buncrana  Res 3

Aileach RES 5

Following a bight start from the visitors there pressure told when Anthony Doherty finished well at the back post  following a Stephen Doherty cross. They increased their advantage after Stephen Doherty pounced on a loose ball and  fired to the top corner from twenty five yards. Aileach were rampant at this stage and added a third after Stephen Doherty got in behind the  home defence and crossed for Darren Bradley  to slot home. Before the interval they added number four when Anthony Doherty got his second of the game with a superb chip from the edge of the area.  Buncrana raised their game on the restart and got a goal back after a Gerry Gill cross found Keith Elliot to slot home. They got another goal back on the hour  when Gill got on the end of a Sean McLaughlin free to slot home from close range. An unlikely comeback looked to be in the making when they pulled a  third goal back after Oran McLaughlin finished well at the back post.  But Aileach rallied and made it five three when Bradley  scored again   with a few minutes remaining.

Gleneely Colts 1

Greencastle Youths  12

The visitors ran amok against an understrength Gleneely side at Glenview Park who led six nil at the break. Kyle Harkin opened the scoring in the second minute after a defensive mix up before Ronan Doherty scored a superb individual effort on ten minutes. Ronan Farren then intercepted a ball in midfield and released Joshua Lafferty to round Oran Raymond and slot home before  Harkin fired a twenty five yards free kick to the top corner. Goals from Ronan Doherty and Christy Hegarty made it six nil at the break and home keeper Raymond performed heroics to save a penalty from Doherty and to deny Hegarty and Harkin. Goals from Ben Doherty, Ronan Doherty, Shea Doherty and an own goal saw the visitors reach double figures by the 70th minute. The home side scored a consolation goal when a Darragh  O Connor cross found Shay Harkin who finished well. Two late goals from Hegarty completed the scoring.


Clonmany Res 0

IN blustery conditions chances were at a premium in the opening half. The home side did take the lead midway through the half after a Josh Boyle cross found John McCluskey who recovered after his first attempt was blocked to stab the ball past Kieran Friel from eight yards. Clonmany replied on the stroke of half  time when a Paul McLaughlin free into the area caused confusion before Ross Nicholas managed to hack the ball clear. The home side upped the tempo on the restart and a Reece McGilloway effort was well saved by Kieran Friel  before the same player released Josh Boyle but from a tight angle he fired into the side netting. McGilloway then unleashed a cross cum shot which rebounded off the post before the unmarked McCloskey had a header cleared off the line by Brian Devlin as the point looked to press home their  territorial advantage. Another McGilloway corner fell to McCloskey but he failed to hit the target. The home side almost paid the price for missed chances when late in the game Gavin McDaid unleashed a shot which was well saved by Oisin Burke .

Dunree United 0

Redcastle United 2

This game never came to life  until the 15th minute when Bernard Doherty raced through and beat the advancing Michael McCole in the visitors goal but the ball went past the post. Redcastle responded on 35 minutes when Darragh McConway pulled the ball back to Jack Ferry whose effort was superbly saved by  Adam Harrigan. The visitors went close again before the interval when  Josh McConalogue fed McConway and again his effort was well saved by Harrigan. After a slow start to the second half the visitros broke the deadlock after Ferry was first to react to a breaking ball and his effort took a deflection on its way to the top corner. Dunree tried to reply but Liam Baldrick could not keep his effort on target from the edge of the area. With the home side pressing  they were caught on the break from a corner with McConway clear but his effort came off the post and into the grateful arms of Harrigan. Redcastle sealed the win in the final minute after a poor ball in defence  left Harrigan stranded allowing Cahir McLaughlin the simplest of tasks to make the final score two nil to Redcastle.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    11am

Carn Res 3

Culdaff Res 0

Both teams have had good start to the season and it was Culdaff who started brightest without troubling the Carn goal. Carn had a great opportunity on 21 minutes when Daire Tully raced through only to be stopped by Dermot Callaghan in the Culdaff goal. Culdaff responded well and Darragh McCormick was unlucky to see his strike parried away by Daniel McDaid. The half ended scoreless with both sides  well in the game . Carn started the second half with more purpose and within seconds had a glorious opportunity to take the lead. A long ball found Christy Doherty from the back post but a wonder save from Callaghan kept it even. Carn took the lead however from the resulting corner when Ronan Brownes effort evaded Callaghan. It was two nil minutes later when a scuffed clearance from the Culdaff keeper fell to Dayton Cooke who dinked his effort into the net from all of thrity yards. Culdaff made changes to chase the game but they were caught on the break late on when Cooke got his second and Carns third to make  the final score three nil.


Cockhill Res 7

Rasheney RES 1

In a slow start to the match both sides struggled to create any clear cut chances. It was midway through the first half before this game got going and it was Rashenny who took the lead. Cockhill conceded a needless free kick 25 yards out giving Gareth McKeever the opportunity to test Donal Og O’ Brien in the Cockhill net and his free kick managed to find its way past the wall and nestle in the bottom corner to put Rashenny one up.  Cockhill responded well getting back level 5 minutes later when Luke Bradley was picked out by Mason McDaid who took it first time on the turn and fired home from 18 yards past Rashenny keeper Roger McGilloway.Two minutes later Cockhill were ahead when Sean Bradley pressed well to win possession and he teed up Luke Bradley who showed good awareness to take it early and loop his effort over Roger McGilloway from 30 yards out. That second goal seemed to settle Cockhill in to their stride and their continued pressure paid off just before half time. Liam Bradley hit the post with a fine effort from just inside the box and it was Kieran McIlroy who reacted quickest to tap home from six yards out past the stranded Roger McGilloway. Ten  minutes in to the second half Luke Bradley completed his hat trick. Shane McLaughlin made his way to the byline and his low cross deflected off a Rashenny defender in to the path of Luke Bradley who picked his spot to drill home in to the bottom corner from ten yards. There was no let up from Cockhill and they made it  five one  on the hour mark when a great cross from Connor McDaid was headed home from eight yards out by PJ Doherty. PJ Doherty then turned provider in a man of match performance from the young Cockhill fullback and Luke Bradley was on hand to head home his  pinpoint cross for his fourth of the match. 

With 10 minutes left Cockhill completed the scoring, Shane McLaughlin showing great composure, taking a great touch on the run from Connor McDaid’s pass and finishing well in to the far corner past the outstretched Roger McGilloway to give Cockhill a well earned home win.



QPS   Youth 1

Illies Res 2

The homeside had the first attempt when an Ultan McCool free was well saved by Kieran Sharkey in the Illies goal. The visitors then took the lead  on 15 minutes when Paddy Doherty raced onto a ball over the top and calmly lifted it over the advancing Lee McColgan. The point tried to reply with Daniel Mcmenamins effort well tipped around the post by Sharkey. At the other end  Paddy Doherty had one effort well turned away by McColgan before getting on the end of a Paul Devlin corner and heading into the side netting. The home side then equalised in the 31st minute after an excellent move. Lee Rutherford won possession and fed  Thomas McConalogue who in turn played the ball into Josh McLaughlin to fire to the roof of the net from twelve yards. On the stroke of half time McCool beat offside trap  but dragged his effort the wrong side of the post. McCool went close again in the 47th minute  racing onto a McConalogue through ball but Sharkey advanced smartly to smother. Illies then struck for the deciding goal on 67 minutes after Gavin Doherty cross deflected off a unfortunate defender and past McColgan for a fortuitous break. The home side again tried to respond and Sean Og Gallagher was denied by a superb John Campbell block with the goal in his sights. Illies ebded the game strongly with Ronan Hegarty and Nathan Mclaughlin both denied by fine stops from McColgan.


Aileach Youth 1

Sea Rovers 1

Aileach started brightly and almost took the lead on 10 minutes when a Benny Hegarty header crashed against the crossbar from Shea Cuffe’s right wing cross. Sea Rovers started to get a foothold in the game and on 20 minutes they created a half chance when Conor McGeoughean shot over the bar from just inside the box. On 30th minutes, Conor Gallagher released Oisin Hasson who raced through and fired goalwards from the edge of the box but Dylan Porter in the home goal turned his shot around the post for a corner. Just before the break, Daidhidh Grant fired in a cross from the left to the back post where Hegarty struck the bar again at full stretch. On the brink of half time, Sea Rovers took the lead when a quickly taken short corner was played to Conor Gallagher who fired in a dangerous cross that deflected off an unfortunate defender and looped over Porter in the home goal and into the net.

Aileach again started brightly in the second half and Shane Bradley tried his luck from 20 yards but Mark McLaughlin was equal to his effort.

On the hour, Conor McGeoghan shot from the edge of the box just past the left hand post when well placed. With twenty  minutes to go, Aileach had Rovers on the back foot and forced a succession of corner with a Kevin Wallace header coming close during this period. In the 80th minute  Aileach got a deserved equaliser when Ciaran Bradley and Ethan O’Toole played a one two with Bradley firing past Mark McLaughlin from twelve  yards for a share of the spoils.



Rasheney FC 3

Dunree Res 0

Rasheney dominated throughout, carved out lots of chances and deservedly emerged with all three points. They took the lead after eight minutes when Tommy Doherty laid off to Conor Mc Daid who advanced inside the area and drilled a low ground shot to the net. Further opportunites fell to Doherty when he was sent clear and also to Ryan Doherty (J) but netminder Oran Doherty made routine saves. The first chance that fell the way of the visitors came on eighteen minutes when indecision in the home defence allowed Neil Moran to gain possession but he was denied by Shaun Friel. However, most of the action was towards the visitor’s goal. Declan Mc Laughlin turned a defender on the 18 yard line and drove a shot just wide of the right hand post. Shortly afterwards Cormac Dillon played an excellent ball through to Doherty who rounded the keeper only to see his shot blocked with a follow up effort from Mc Daid saved by the Dunree netminder. It was surprising that the home side failed to increase their lead – as openings continued to fall their way. Doherty had a shot blocked with Dillon’s follow up attempt just wide of the left upright. Dillon was then inches from connecting with McDaid’s dinked cross to the back post and when Dillon turned provider and delivered an enticing cross into the danger area Doherty slid the ball off target. Dunree were finding it hard to create any meaningful chances and when Cole Sheridan tried to force his way through on goal, he was surrounded by defenders and dispossessed inside the box. In the final action of the half Darren Coyle saw his 25 yard shot travel wide of the left hand post. Rasheney’s lead was doubled in the opening minutes of the second half when Tommy Doherty got on the end of a Ryan Jackie cross from the left wing and headed powerfully to the top corner. Just past the hour mark it was 3 – 0 when substitute David Mc Laughlin ran clear of the Dunree defence and fired low to the net. And, after being set up by Shane Cregan, Mc Laughlin could have added to the tally but saw his shot blocked at the expense of a corner. In the closing quarter hour the scoreline could have been increased but sub Damien Friel was out of luck on three occasions. Firstly he failed to turn home home from close in, then he was desperately unlucky to see a header come back off the crossbar and was again out of luck with a shot that brought a point blank save from Doherty. A McLaughlin shot from the edgeof the area that went over the bar and a Ryan Jackie long range effort from the half way line towards an unguarded net that dropped just wide meant that the home side was unable to add to the scoreline.


Moville Res 8

Redcastle  Res 0

Moville started this game well on top with Danny  Murphy firing wide, Ronan McCarron seeing an effort come off the bar and Pearse Doherty heading wide when well placed. Midway though the half the home side took the lead after Oisin Lynchs ball over the top sent Murphy clear to finish well. Redcadtle got  back on terms when Brendan Murphy was left unmarked to head home from ten yards. But the home side regained the lead after another superb pass from Lynch found Murphy  to drill home. He then completed his hat trick racing onto a Michael McCarron ball over the top to finish well. Moville added a fourth before the break when Dohertys effort was well parried by Dermot Hoy but Lynch pounced to drill the loose ball home and leave Moville four one ahead.

Redcastle got a perfect start to the second period when a loose ball fell to Darren Harkin inside the area and he fired to the bottom corner. But Moville regained their three goal cushion when Hoy could only parry  a Doherty corner  allowing Andrew McCarron to slot home. Danny Murphy then added two quick goals   in the 63rd and 67th minutes the latter a screamer from all of thirty five yards to the top corner before Keelan Henry pulled a goal back for the visitors. Andrew McCarron completed the scoring for the home side when he volleyed past Hoy from inside the area to make it eight three.


Glengad Res 5

Carrowmena   FC 1

Glengad playing with wind in first half found Carrowmeena well organised in defence. The home side created  their first chance on 20 minutes when a twenty five yards free kick by Paul McGonagle was parried by keeper Maurice McGeady with Jamie Mc Devitt firing the rebound over the bar. Carrowmeenagh then took the lead on 30 minutes against the run of play when after a short kick out by Glengad Sean Duffy intercepted a defenders pass to fire high to the roof of the net past Patrick Mc Laughlin. Glengad were back on level terms after 40 minutes when a long ball out of defence by Chris Doherty was controlled and finished by McGonagle from 10 yards out . 

Glengad went  in front on 60 minutes when McGonagle on the left found PJ McDaid who fired low past the advancing keeper. They made it three one  straight away when Cian Doherty (S) played a ball down the right to Ryan Mc Geoghegan who controlled and turned inside a defender before firing low past Mc Geady. Carrowmena replied on 75 minutes when   Killian Dougal forced a good save from McLaughlin with a snap shot from 12 yards out. Glengad went on to score two late goals with Cian Doherty  cutting in from the right and firing low past keeper before on the last kick of the game Stephen McGonagle pounced on a defensive mistake to make  the final score five one.