Match Reports Sunday 25th November

Ulster Junior Cup

Milford United                   0

Greencastle FC                  1

As expected this was a very tight game between two well matched teams.

Greencastle had the first chance of the game but Michael Henry fired narrowly wide. At the other end Gary Merritt blasted just over from inside the area. The visitors then took the lead on 28 minutes when Jamie McCormick collected possession and advanced to drill a low effort from twenty yards into the bottom corner. They suffered a blow before the break when James Henry had to retire through injury. Greencastle dominated long periods of the second half with Nigel McMonagle denied by two excellent saves and Ciaran Moore seeing an effort cannon off the bar. The home side were always dangerous on the break but DJ Canavan and Mark Henry were excellent in defence.

Convoy Arsenal                 2

Glengad United                 5

Glengad started this games at a fast tempo and had  their first chance on 5 minutes after James Mc Kinney broke down the right and pulled the ball  back to Paddy Mc Dermott on the edge of box but his effort was cleared by James Kee. Convoy were then awarded a free for hand ball and from 20 yards John Mc Gill’s  effort came off the outside of post and  was cleared. Glengad took the lead when Michael Byrne played a  lovely through ball down the right to Terance Doherty  who held off Luke Harkin to advance inside the box and finish low across keeper Matthew Gallagher. Matthwe Byrne made it two nil on 25 minutes with a well struck  free kick low to Gallagher’s  left from edge of area. The thirs goal was a brilliant  team effort which began with the ball played out from the back  and Michael Byrne combined with Stephen McLaughlin  on the right before feeding  Doherty who layed it off to the incoming Mc Dermott to slot low past Gallagher from twelve yards. Glengad were rampant at this stage and  Connor Barrow added the fourth on 32minutes when  Seamus Doherty played him in behind the full back on the left  and he slotted it low into the  far right corner away from Matthew Gallagher. Convoy got one back on 38 minutes  after  a Stephen O’ Donnell corner was not cleared and Emmett Patterson scored from close range. Convoy were then awarded a penalty after sloppy play by Glengad ended with  Stephen O Donnell being fouled and Anthony Bogle put away the penalty low to Daniel Mullarkeys  left. The second half saw both team creating half  chances without any real goal chances and Glengad booked there place in the quarter finals  when on 80 minutes Christy McLaughlin broke down the right and his deep cross was controlled by Doherty before firing home  from a tight angle.

Kilmacrennan Celtic                     3

Buncrana  Hearts                          1

While the home side had more possession it was the Hearts who had a lot of chances and they will be disappointed they did not convert more of them in the first half. Gary Gorman had the first chance of the game but his header was easily gathered by James Gallagher . The visitors responded and Michael Coyle fired over from the edge of the area. On 21 minutes Buncrana opened the scoring when Jason Quinn in the home goal failed to collect a free kick and Gary Duffy was left with the simplest of tasks to slot home. Aaron McDaid then had a shot cleared off the line before  Coyle had a fine effort tipped over by Quinn as Buncrana ended the half well.  There was a complete turnaround in the second half with the home side dominant and they equalised on 55 minutes when Seamie Friel scored with a fine header. James Doherty fired wide when well plaved before Gallagher in the Hearts goal produced a stunning save to deny Killian McLaughlin.  But Kilmacrennan took the lead  on 66 minutes when a defensive mix up gifted McLaughlin the chance to fire past Gallagher. Buncrana rallied and when Quinn denied Mark McFadden at the expense of a corner Kevin O’Loughlin was unlucky to see his effort cannon off the bar.  The home side sealed the tie when substitute Caolan McDaid broke clear and lifted the ball over the advancing Gallagher to make it three one. Buncrana had a late chance but Gerard Boyle headed over .

Kildrum Tigers                                2         

Clonmany Shamrocks                  0

Kildrum took the lead on 9 minutes after Kevin McHugh cut in from the left and unleashed a stunning effort to the top corner past Patrick Harkin. Clonmany were being pinned back with both Daniel Clarke and Ethan Coll dangerous and midway through the half McHugh went within inches of adding a second. Clonmany gradually came into the game and Jason Devlin flicked on for Mark McLaughlin who rounded Rory Carr but  saw his goalbound effort headed clear. Devlin then advanced on the left and cut the ball back but there were no team mates to take advantage. After  a close start to the second half Clonmany created the first chance on 64 minutes when Niall Mclaughlin’s deep corner found Steve Harkin but he fired over the bar. On 84 minutes Clonmany were caught on the break with McHugh advancing into the area and using his experience to draw a foul and he sent Harkin the wrong way with the kick. Clonmany pressed to the end and Jake Harkin went close with a good effort but the home side advance.

Carn FC                                 3

Ballybofey United             0

Carn got off to a dream start in the opening minute when Michael McDermott fed Dermot Doherty on the right and his cross was swept home from the edge of the area by Cade Cooke. Dermot Doherty then had an effort saved by Kieran Foy before Cooke drilled narrowly wide. Thy increased their lead on 16 minutes after Shane Doherty found Cooke who rounded a defender and squared the ball for Christopher Diver to slot home from twelve yards.  The visitors tried to hit back and Aaron McCauley drove a powerful effort just wide. Ballybofey had the first chance after the interval with Jude Patton crossing for Dan O’Brien but he fired just wide from the edge of the area. In truth Carn dominated after this and Brandon Browne fired wide before Cooke rounded the keeper and from a tight angle hit the side netting. They increased their lead on 74minutes after Browne’s shot was parried by Foy but Aaron McCarron laid the ball back for Lorcan Bradley to slot home. Substitute Conor Doherty had a late effort saved before Browne failed to hit the target when he got on the end of Doherty’s cross.

Redcastle United              5

Drumkeen United             4

Redcastle started the game well and dominated possession and with 2 minutes played a through ball from Alan Clarke found Aiden McLaughlin who knocked it past the on rushing keeper and then slotted it into the empty net. Drumkeen grew into the game and got a well deserved equaliser on the 14th minute when cross from Michael Guthrie was headed home by Niall Hawley. Drumkreen then pushed on and took the lead after 28th minute when a cross from Bennie Bonnen was volleyed into the top corner by Conor Lafferty. Minutes a cross from Eoghan Kennedy was fumbled by Michael McCole and then Michael Guthrie put it into the empty net. Five minutes before half time Drumkreen were awarded a corner, It was headed out by Dan Nolan but it only went as far as Chris Kyle who’s volley was deflected off Aiden Martin and beat the keeper. Minutes into the second half Drumkreen should have made it five one  but McCole pulled off a big save to keep Redcastle in the game. On 50 minutes Aiden McLaughlin was fouled in the box and from the resulting penalty Shaun Curran made no mistake by placing the ball in the top corner. Then minutes later  a cross from Darragh McConway dropped at the foot of Alan Clarke who slot well past the keeper. On the hour  a corner from Darragh McConway was headed into the top corner by Dan Nolan who levelled the game at  four all . Drumkreen almost re-took the lead when a well worked quick free kick found Conor Lafferty whose volley went just wide. With 15 minutes left  Liam McGill unleashed  a shot from 25 yards but for a brilliant save from McCole it would have been a great goal. As both teams pushed for the winner it left gaps at the back and Redcastle exploited this well when Dan Nolan’s long ball got Evan Craig in and his low cross found Darragh McConway who rolled the ball into the net to complete a great comeback.

Ulster Junior Shield  

Greencastle Res                3

Curragh Athletic                5

The first half was a real goal feast and the home side took the lead when Andrew Peoples fired a stunning effort high past Shane O’Brien from sixteen yards. But Curragh equalised when a long range James Sweeney free dipped under the bar past Seamus Bovaird. The visitors then went ahead  when after Bovaird had saved well from Sweeney the ball fell nicely for Caolan Marley to slot home.  A great burst then down the right from Kieran Sweeney saw him pick out Tim Callaghan  to head past Bovaird and make it three one on the half hour. Greencastle rallied and reduced the deficit when Jude Harkin’s free was powerfully headed home by Peoples for his second. But before the interval Curragh added a fourth in a carbon copy of their third goal with Sweeney crossing for Callaghan to head home at the back post.  Daniel Rowan had an early effort in the second half saved while at the other end James Sweeney fired over before Bovaird denied Kieran Sweeney. Greencastle continued to press and substitute Cathal Mclaughlin saw one effort saved before beating two men but seeing his superb cross evade all. Curragh then scored a fifth to seal the tie when substitute Colm Kerins raced onto a long ball and although Bovaird blocked his first effort he slotted home the rebound. The home side got a late consolation when Shaun Cavanagh forced the ball home from close range after a McLaughlin cross.

Moville Celtic                     6

Kerrykeel 71                       4

The game came to life in the 10th minute when the visitors took the lead. Centre forward Michael Sweeney played the ball to Conor McGonigle on the left who’s low cross was slid home from six yards by Sean Little. Moville equalised on the half hour with Conor Lafferty’s chip over the Kerrykeel defence allowing Caolan Doherty to get into the box and curl a lovely left footed shot past Boyce into the far corner. Two minutes later Kerrykeel went in front again with Sweeney powering high into the Moville net from the edge of the area after a cross from Little. Moville drew level minutes after the half time restart, Lafferty again feeding Doherty who rounded the outrushing keeper and passed into the visitors net from an acute angle. Kerrykeel took the lead for the third time within  minutes  after Little’s strong run from midfield with a short pass to Sweeney let the striker shoot low under Moville keeper Coyle. The home side levelled again in the 82nd minute with Marty Smith heading back a Moville free in the box into the path of Ryan McColgan who swept home from the six yards. In the 89th minute Moville took the lead for the first time with Michael McNaught freeing Nathan Harkin down the right. His square ball to Doherty left Boyce in no man’s land letting the striker score into an empty net. Kerrykeel equalised on the stroke of full time when Coyle in the Moville goal could only parry a cross to sub Paddy Friel who fired in. In extra time Antonio Rea flicked into the Kerrykeel net to make the score five four to Moville after Caolan Doherty’s shot was fumbled by keeper Boyce. The home side secured a place in the last eight two minutes later when Doherty got his hat trick after latching onto a weak pass from Boyce to slot home and make the final score 6-4.

Redcastle Res                    1

Glengad Res                        2       AET

Glenad took the lead in the  5th minute after a PJ McDaid  cross from the left was deflected past Terry McColgan in the home goal by an unfortunate defender. But the home side got back on level terms on 29 minutes when Ronan Cassidy released Ronan Hoy who superbly chipped Michael McLaughlin from twenty yards. Glengad dominated the second period with Gary Kelly heading just wide before seeing another  effort driven straight at McColgan. McClgan then saved well to deny PJ McDaid as the home side battled sternly to force extra time. Glengad struck for what proved to be the winner when Kelly pounced on a loose ball inside the area to drill low to the corner from twelve yards. Redcastle tried to respond but Glengad saw the game out relatively comfortably to advance.

Cockhill Youths                  2

QPS                                     0

Reversed to the Muff venue QPS had the first chance  on 8 minutes when Fionnbhar Harley  flashed an effort across goal and inches past the far post. On 16minutes Cockhill’s Jack Mc Daid  beat the defender and crossed to Eoin Deery but his shot well blocked by Stephen McKendry. In a game of few clear cut chances Cockhill took the lead on 40 minutes after a Michael Noone long ball  found  Shane Doherty who put in a brilliant first time cross for Davey Laird to rifle home from six yards. Three minutes after the restart Jack Mc Daid went through on goal but keeper Aiden Lynch saved well. Cockhill then spurned two great chances with laird heading over from close range and Deery somehow missing from a yard out. On  55 minutes Cockhill’s great start to the second half was rewarded with their second goal from  the lethal Laird who finishes well on his weaker left foot. On 75 minutes Cockhill’s  Mcdaid who was a handful all game nearly capped off a great performance with a goal but missed a one on one from ten yards.

Milford United Res                      4

Cockhill Res                                    0

After  an even opening 15 minutes it was Cockhill who had the first real chance of the match when a quick counter attack led to Tristan Donaghy playing a good through ball to Ryan McDaid but the Milford keeper was quick off his line and done enough to block the effort. However, it was Milford who took the lead shortly after catching Cockhill on the break with Brendan Murray racing clear to convert. Milford made it two nil shortly after that when Ciaran McGinley expertly despatched a penalty.Milford  added a third goal in the space of 15 minutes when a well struck free kick  took a ricochet in the box and Ciaran Blayney  was first to react to stroke the breaking ball home.Cockhill regrouped at half time and came back in the to the match and were unlucky not to get back in to the match with good efforts from Ryan Mallett, Ryan Doherty and Sean Bradley all coming close. All that good pressure was undone with 15 minutes remaining when Cockhill were caught in possession at the back allowing Ryan Campbell through on goal and he slotted home to seal the tie.

Glenree United                  2

Rasheney FC                       1

Rasheney started well  and in the opening minutes Charlie Doherty fired wide from fifteen yards before Ryan Doherty squared to Damien Friel but his effort was blocked on the line. Glenree then took the lead on 4 minutes after Luke McCarry crossed for Oisin Boyce to turn the ball past Sean Friel from twelve yards. Rasheney responded but Declan McLaughlin fired narrowly wide. Midway through the half a looping Oisin Boyce effort came off the post and flew across goal before being cleared. Glenree increased their lead when Boyce cut inside the full back and rounded Friel  to slot home. Friel then saved well to hold an Eric Roberts effort. Rasheney then saw Eoin McLaughlin turn sharply inside the area but his effort crashed off the bar. Before the break a Ryan Doherty cross found Declan McLaughlin but from eight yards his effort grazed the post. McLaughlin then had an early effort in the second half well saved but the home side  hit back and McCarry missed two glorious chances driving one wildly over  and  heading another wide before Roberts had a free kick blocked by the legs of Friel. Rasheney  pushed forward in the last quarter with Charlie Doherty, Darren Coyle and substitute Conor McDaid all off target who decent half chances. Doherty the shot at keeper Oran Loughery before the keeper saved well from Coyle’s header. They got a consolation on 86 minutes when Doherty converted a penalty low to the right hand corner after he had been fouled but they could not get an equaliser.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Illies Celtic              4

Culdaff FC                0

After an even opening the home side struck on 10 minutes when Liam Doherty fed brother Paul who beat his man and unleashed a brilliant effort from twenty yards to the top corner giving Darragh McLaughlin no chance.  When a defensive clearance came off another defender the ball fell to Gavin Doherty and he slotted low to the corner from twelve yards to double the lead. Culdaff replied and were out of luck when Paul McLaughlin broke clear but saw his well struck shot crash off the bar. On the stroke of half time Liam Grant found Paul Doherty and this time he unleashed an even better effort from all of thirty yards which flew into the top corner.There was little action in the second period with most of the play bogged down in midfield. Culdaff tried hard to get into the game and Bryan McCandless fired one effort just over and another wide but they were no more than half chances. Illies then broke on 76 minutes with Liam Grant beating two men and  crossing for kevin McGonagle to slid the ball low under  McLaughlin and clinch the three points.

Strand Hotel First Division

Dunree United       3         

Buncrana Res         0

In this local derby at St Egneys Park  the home side almost opened the scoring in the very first minute after a Liam Baldrick pass over the top released Darryl Moran but his first time effort was well saved by Paul McDaid. Dunree then took the lead on the half hour mark when Moran cut in from the left hand side and fired  a superb twenty yards effort  into the bottom corner. The visitors best chance of the half saw a Ryan Curran header superbly tipped over by Philip Doherty. Dunree got a great start to the second period when a Philip Mc Guinness cross was headed home from six yards by Moran on 53 minutes. Midway through the half they made it three nil when Bernie Doherty beat  a defender and slotted past McDaid from ten yards. McDaid then made a fine double save to deny Moran his hat trick in the closing stages.

Division Two               

Illies Res                              1

Clonmany Res                    1

Illies had the first chance but Ronan Hegarty failed to hit the target when well placed on 11 minutes.  Clonmany responded and a superb through ball from Dessie Doherty released Thomas Comiskey but he lifted his effort over the bar. On 33 minutes the home side took the lead after a cross from Dominic Doherty found Hegarty to head high past Liam McGonigle. Illies spurned a great chance after the break to double their lead when Hegarty sent Shane Devlin in when McGonigle forced him wide he fired into the side netting. Clonmany upped the tempo and equalised on 66 minutes when a Conor Doherty cross deceived the home defenders and Jason McDaid fired past Kevin McGonagle from twelve yards. Both defences then were on top until the 84th minute when Hegarty sent Brendan Doherty clear with a ball over the top but he fired wide.

Aileach Youths                   5

Rasheney Res                     4

In fine conditions, Aileach made the early running with Rasheney happy to break when the opportunity arose.  From one of these breaks the visitors took the lead in the 10th minute when a through ball released Nathan McConalogue who shot just inside the near post.  Rasheney doubled their lead five minutes later when the Aileach defence failed to clear on a number of occasions and the ball eventually broke to Matthew Duffy to score from fifteen yards.  Aileach finally started to create in the final third and a Benny Hegarty shot was parried by Declan Grant into the path of Darren Bradley who pulled a goal back.  Aileach pulled level on the half hour when Gavin Doherty advanced from midfield before firing a shot from twenty five yards into the corner.  Minutes later Rasheney regained the lead when Nathan McConalogue headed into the bottom corner from fifteem yards.  Aileach started the second half in determined mood but the Rasheney defence marshalled by Corney McCole were holding firm.  Aileach finally pulled level again on the hour when Ryan Wilson advanced from right back and played a wonderful one two with Aaron Doherty before placing the ball into the bottom corner. Aileach took the lead for the first time with twenty minutes remaining when Matthew McDermott’s corner was bundled home by Benny Hegarty.  Aileach looked to have sealed it with 10 minutes to go when Gavin Doherty broke through the middle of the Rasheney defence and squared for his brother Dermot to tap home. Rasheney set up a grandstand finish when with five minutes to go Aaron Harkin fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Rasheney tried hard for an equaliser in the closing moments but McElhinney and McGowan defended strongly to ensure Aileach took the points.

Culdaff Res                          4

Carrowmena FC                 2

There was a quick start to this game with the visitors Drew Crumlish rounding Puaric O’Donnell in the home goal but firing into the side netting from a tight angle. A minute later the home side took the lead when Matt McDaid threaded a great ball into Jack Mclaughlin who was upended and he hammered the spot kick low to Brian Houghton’s left. Carrowmena got back on terms on 21 minutes after a free kick into the area was headed up in the air and as the ball dropped Declan McGuinness fired a sweetly struck volley past O’Donnell for a superb goal. But Culdaff regained the lead seven minutes later when McLaughlin beat his man inside the area and squared for Ben Curley to slot home from six yards McGuinness was very unlucky then with a stunning thirty yards volley which dropped just over the bar But on minutes the visitors equalised again after an Andrew McLaughlin free found Raymond Campbell who headed powerfully to the roof of the net Culdaff upped the tempo after the break and in the opening minute Curley found McLaughlin who displayed great fee to unleash a right footed effort which Houghton saved well McLaughlin then pounced on a defensive error before racing into the area ,rounding Houghton and slotting home to regain the lead for the home side. Curley blazed over on the half turn before he set up McDaid who fired wildly over when unmarked from fourteen yards. On 79 minutes a loose ball in the visitors defence fell to McLaughlin and he hammered to the roof of the net to complete his hat trick. Carrowmena  tried hardtop get back into the game but the home defence stood firm.