Match Reports Sunday 23rd September

Sunday 23rd  September

Clubman Shirts Semi Final              

Buncrana Hearts               2

Carn FC                                 3   (AET)

Buncrana got off to a dream start when they went ahead in the 5th minute. Aaron McDaid released Gerard Boyle but he was denied at the expense of a corner by Seamus Houghton. From the corner the ball fell to Kevin O’Loughlin to fire low to the corner  from twelve yards.

Carn replied and Darragh Deery fired wide when well placed before on 21 minutes Ryan Kelly headed over. Buncrana upped the tempo and had the better of the remainder of the half with  James Quigley failing to hit the target when well placed before both Boyle and Mark McFadden fired over with decent half chances. Buncrana spurned a great chance to double their lead on 51 minutes after an Eoin McNamee cross found Eoin Murphy but he blazed over from close range.At the other end Dermot Doherty for the visitors saw his attempted lob drift just over the top. Carn equalised on 68 minutes after Brandon Browne burst down the right and crossed for Doherty to slot home from six yards.  Buncrana responded and had the better chances to win the game in normal time. Firstly Liam McCarron’s glancing header shaved the post  before O’Loughlin saw another header cleared off the line by Kelly. The opening chance of extra time came early in the second period but McFadden had an effort blocked. Then came a crazy last two minutes. Carn took the lead when Kelly got on the end of a free kick to head home. From the centre the home side broke with Timlin’s deep cross superbly volleyed home by Stephen McHugh at the back post. With penalties looming Buncrana lost possession in midfield and Conor O’Donnell advanced before unleashing a superb twenty  yards effort   to the bottom corner to send Carn into their first top flight final since the 2002-2003 season.

Greencastle FC                  3

Aileach FC                            3          AET   ( Greencastle win 3.1 on pens)

The home side started this game well  and  Nigel McMonagle had an early attempt blocked  before seeing a snapshot brilliantly saved by David McGeady. They took the lead on 8 minutes after a great move saw Eamon Donnelly find Matthew Henry whose precision ball over the visitors defence allowed Jamie McCormick to race clear and he sidestepped McGeady before sliding the ball home. Minutes later they made it two nil with Gavin Harkin feeding McMonagle to outpace the defence and drive a powerful effort past McGeady. Matthew henry then headed over the bar when well placed before Aileach replied. Darren McMonagle saw his dangerous cross superbly gathered by Dylan Doherty but minutes later another superb run by McMonagle saw his cross superbly flicked home by Dermot Doherty. Greencastle replied with a James Henry effort tipped over before Mark Henry had an effort blocked by Keith McColgan and McGeady again denied McCormick. On the stroke of half time the home side had  big penalty claims waved aside. Darren McMonagle had an early effort over the bar before a Matthew Henry cross evaded all. Aileach then got back on terms when  substitute Sean Mullan headed home a Keith McColgan corner on 54 minutes. Greencastle responded positively but spurned numerous chances with  McMonagle and Matthew Henry both denied twice by McGeady while McCormick and Christy Hegarty were off target. Against the run of play Aileach took the lead when a Dermot Doherty shot crashed off the bar and fell to Killian O’Rourke who drilled a superb first time effort from twenty yards to the bottom corner. Within minutes after a corner at the other end DJ Canavan saw his effort take a deflection on its way past McGeady. Greencastle kept pressing and Hegarty headed over before McMonagle was again denied by McGeady and Cathal McElhinney made a tremendous block on a McCormick effort. The final chance fell to Aileach with Mullan firing narrowly wide. In extra time McGeady denied McMonagle while at the other end Dylan Doherty saved well from McMonagle. An almighty scramble in the Aileach box saw successive efforts blocked before McCormicks effort came off the post. In the shootout home keeper Dylan Doherty emerged the hero saving three penalties to send Greencastle to the final.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Illies FC                                 0

Glengad United                 3

After a tight opening period in which defences were on top Illies threatened first when Kevin McGonagle burst into the area but a superb Matthew Byrne tackle averted the danger. Glengad gradually began to press and when Terence Doherty broke clear of the home defence on 26 minutes Johnathan Noone advanced to block superbly. Ten minutes later a superb Byrne cross from the left found Conor Barrow but his goalbound effort was brilliantly tipped away by Noone as the half ended scoreless. Glengad had the first chance of the second period when Terence Doherty unleashed a thunderbolt which crashed off the bar. But they took the lead on 64 minutes when Barrow despatched a superb free kick to the top corner from the edge of the area. Illies then had a great chance to get back into the game when a Paul Doherty cross found Paddy Doherty but his header was well saved by Daniel Mullarkey. Glengad struck for the crucial second goal on 79 minutes when Barrow outpaced the home defence to run onto a long ball and neatly tuck the ball past the advancing Noone. Glengad added a third in the final minute when substitute Christy McLaughlin broke clear but was denied by Noone  and the ball fell to another substitute Patrick McDermott to slot home.

Redcastle FC                                   1

Culdaff FC                            4

The game started lively with neither side having any clear chances. With 3 minutes gone a corner from Redcastle was well defended by Culdaff who then broke quickly, it should have been a certain goal for Noel McLaughlin but a last ditch challenge from Seamus Doherty stopped the ball from going into the empty net. A couple of minutes later Redcastle played the ball out well from the back and worked it up the pitch and eventually Brendan Murphy had his header well saved by Dara McLaughlin to keep it scoreless. From the resulting corner kick, Culdaff broke quickly again and this time a great cross from Matthew McLarkey found Michael Coyle who headed well into the bottom corner to make it one nil. With a quarter of an hour played Culdaff had their second when they worked the ball from the back to Shaun O’Neill who had to put the ball in an empty net. Ten minutes later Redcastle should have had their first goal of the game when a cross from Joe McCauley found Cahir McLaughlin who with just the keeper in front of him saw his shot smartly saved by the foot of  McLaughlin but the ball fell to Aiden McLaughlin who saw his rebound saved brilliantly by McLaughlin again. On the half hour mark a delightful chip from Brian McCandless found McLarkey again who headed in  Culdaff’s third. With 5 minutes until half time Redcastle were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, it was well struck by Shaun Curran but it was well saved by again by Dara McLaughlin who got down well to the bottom left corner and parried it wide. On the stroke of half time a good cross from Matthew McLarkey found Michael Coyle who made it four nil at the break. Redcastle almost had the perfect start when half time substitute Eunan Mullan saw his shot fantastically saved by Dara McLaughlin. Minutes later Aiden McLaughlin had another effort tipped wide as Culdaff kept their clean sheet in tact. On the 51st minute a long ball from Cahir McLaughlin found Aiden McLaughlin who saw his shot come off the the top of the crossbar . 5 minutes later Aiden McLaughlin had another effort saved by Dara McLaughlin to keep Redcastle at bay. On the hour mark a great turn from Brendan Murphy put him through on the keeper and he unselfishly squared it to Aiden McLaughlin but great reactions from Dara McLaughlin somehow managed to keep it out.Minutes later Aiden McLaughlin had another chance but this time his shot beat the the keeper but hit the outside of the post. In the last minute a good pass from Aiden McLaughlin found Stephen McLaughlin who’s volley took a wicked deflection and looped over the Culdaff keeper and gave Redcastle the goal they deserved.

Strand Hotel First Division

QPS                                        3

Rasheney FC                       4

Rasheney moved to the top of the table recording their third successive league win for the first time in a number of seasons. They got off to a great start when John Grant fired a sweet left footed effort from the edge of the area to the bottom corner. But on 11 minutes the home side levelled after Brian McColgan getting on the end of a Stephen Harley cross to head home. McColgan was out of luck then when his effort from close range came off the bar and was cleared. Rasheney then regained the lead when Aaron Harkin headed in a Grant cross and they soon added a third after Darren Coyle fired  a free kick from twenty five yards past Aiden Lynch. On the hour after the home defence failed to clear Harkin headed home his second from close range to make it four one. But on 71 minutes Deaglan Bowen fired home a second goal for the point to reduce the deficit. On 88 minutes Harley added a third with his finish coming off a defender  to set up a tense finish but the visitors held on.

Gleneely Colts                   5

Dunree United                   2

The colts flew out of the blocks and were two nil ahead by the 15th minute. First John Doherty fed Christy Smith and he fired a superb twenty five yards effort to the top corner. Then Shane Meehan stepped up and drilled a superb free kick from twenty yards over the wall and into the top corner giving Philip Doherty no chance. But Dunree rallied and reduced the deficit when after a quick break Philip McGuinness fired low past ben Miller. On 28 minutes Dunree equalised after Liam Baldrick was upended in the are allowing Bernie Doherty to fire low to Millers left. But on the stroke of half time the Colts regained the lead when the Dunree defence failed to clear a corner and john Doherty headed to the roof of the net. After an even opening t the second period the home side increased their lead to two again when a Billy McCann corner deflected off a defender and into the net. Dunree responded and when McGuinness cut in his right footed effort was well saved by Miller.Gleneely sealed the points when a superb cross from the left by Smith found McCann sliding in at the back post to force the ball home.

Glengad Res                                    3

Sea Rovers                          1

This was a well contested local derby and Rovers had the first chance when Keelan Doherty broke clear but his effort was well saved by  Michael McLaughlin. Glengad responded and opened the scoring after Christoper Doherty fed Christopher  McLaughlin whose first time cross found Gary Kelly to slot home. Rovers replied and within five minutes restored parity  when Oisin McGonagle despatched a superb twenty five yards effort to the bottom corner.

McLaughlin then for the home side had an effort tipped onto the bar while for Rovers  McGonagle headed wide from  a corner before Damien Ward saw his free kick crash off the post. On the stroke of half time Glengad took the lead when good interplay between Kelly and PJ McDaid saw Kelly slot home from six yards. Things were tighter in the second half with Rovers Shay Rodgers seeing his twenty five yards effort saved by McLaughlin. Midway through the half the home side made it three one when Cathal Doherty despatched a penalty low to the corner after Kelly had been upended. The final chance also fell to the home side when Kelly had an effort tipped onto the bar by substitute keeper Glen Watson.

Aileach Res             4

Buncrana Res         2

Aileach opened the scoring after 5 minutes when Stephen Doherty  crossed  for Ciaran Mc Grory to score from close range. They went two up ten minutes later when Damien Barr played a great ball through the defence for Ruairi Bradley to slot past the advancing keeper. Mid way through the half Buncrana

pulled a goal back when Michael Doherty lobbed a ball over the home

defence for Ben Bradley to run through and score.  But Aileach restored their two mgoal advantage on the stroke of half time when Decky O’Donnell rounded the keeper and squared the ball for Mc Grory to tap home. Aileach  then went  four one ahead on 55 minutes after a great move down the left by Shane McMonagle, Doherty and Mc Grory  with the latter finding Ruairi Bradley who fired low into the bottom corner. Buncrana came back again and when Marty Doherty was upended in the box Ben Bradley converted the penalty . Buncrana pushed forward after that but couldn’t find the net with Ryan Fox in the home goals produced  great saves deny  Marty Doherty and Dale Kerr to ensure  Aileach took the points.

Cockhill Youths                  1

Moville Celtic                     1

The visitors suffered an early blow when Emmet McCauley suffered a blow to his eye area and had to be replaced in the 3rd minute. A lot of the play was centred in midfield with defences on top but Adam McCarron fired high and wide for the home side before Jack McDaid had an effort easily saved by Ryan Coyle in the Moville goal. Moville started the second half the better and took the lead after a quick break on 49 minutes when a superb diagonal ball from Conor Lafferty found Michael McNaught who directed an angled header from fifteen yards to the bottom corner. But Cockhill rallied and got back on terms when a brilliant effort from Shane A Doherty crashed off the bar but rebounded to the net off Coyle. Cockhill pushed hard in the last twenty minutes but the Moville defence stood firm well marshalled by Martin Smith. Cockhill’s best chance came when Keegan Hegarty burst into the area but shot well wide. On the break Moville were always dangerous with Keelan Doherty prominent.

Donegal Signs Division Two Shield Quarter Finals   

Moville Res             4

Rasheney FC           0

Moville advanced to the semi finals with a comprehensive four nil victory. But it was Rasheney who had the first chance when Trevor Doherty found Sean McCarron who turned well but his low effort was well saved by Maurice McGeady. Moville replied and broke the deadlock after half an hour with a fine solo run from midfield by Danny Murphy ending with him firing low to the bottom corner past Conor McCole from the edge of the area. Murphy added his second before the break when he turned a defender and fired low to the net from ten yards. Rasheney had an early chance in the second half but Doherty fired over from just inside the area. On 58 minutes the homeside virtually sealed the tie when Murphy completed his hat trick slotting home after McCole had saved his initial effort. They then made it four nil after good work by Ciaran Diver on the right ended with him squaring for Pearse Doherty to slot home from fourteen yards. Rasheney had a chance of a consolation late on when Jack McLaughlin released McCarron  but he was denied by the advancing McGeady.

Carn Res                               3

Aileach  Youths                  4

There was an explosive opening to this game with five goals in the opening half an hour.The visitors opened the scoring on 2 minutes when Ryan Wilson  finished well after a neat one two with Aaron Doherty. But within minutes the home side equalised after Dayton Cooke was upended in the area and Niall McGuinness fired to the top corner. Aileach then regained the lead when Brendan Hegarty forced the ball home from close range after the defence failed to clear. But a defensive mix up at the other end saw Carn make it two all when a Christopher Diver cross fell to Tiernan Coyne who headed home. Carn then took the lead on 34 minutes  after the visitors defence failed to deal with Cooke’s cross and Ultan Doherty slotted home from close range. But on the stroke of half time the visitors levelled with Wilson taking advantage of poor defending to fire home. As expected there were much fewer goalmouth incidents in the second period. Carn had two good chances with Ultan Doherty seeing an effort crash off the bar before Christy McDaid was  denied by a fabulous save from Dylan Clarke. The winner came on 77 minutes when the unmarked Wilson was given too much room and he gleefully headed home to complete his hattrick and send his side into the semi finals.

Clonmany Res                    3

Carrowmena FC                 0

Clonmany started well and  both Conor Doherty and Gavin McDaid were denied by a fine double save from keeper Brian Houghton. Midway through the half McDaid then fired over from twenty five yards. The home side made the break through when a Liam McGonigle free kick came off a defender for Pearse McCarron to slot home from close range. Carrowmena almost equalised on the stroke of half time when a Gerard Gill effort deflected off a defender and looped up just shaving the crossbar. Carrowmena had the first chance of the second period also when an Evan McDermott effort was brilliantly saved low to his left by Cillian McCarron. But Clonmany increased their lead after a David McGonigle corner was met on the half turn by Philip Devlin who steered the ball into the top corner. They sealed qualification for the semi finals when Andrew Doherty sent brother Conor racing clear and he calmly slotted home.

Illies Res                              2

Greencastle Res                0

There was tight opening to this game with teams even and few chances at either end. Greencastle probably had slightly the better of the first half  with Joe Doherty having two efforts which Graham Doherty saved well. Near half time Liam O’ Connor had a half chance for the home side but fired straight at Fergus Kerr in the visitors goal. Illies struck for the crucial lead goal on 57 minutes when Brendan Doherty found O’Connor on the right wing and his cross was steered to the roof of the net by Seamus O’Donnell from twelve yards. They increased their lead on 76 minutesafter a Joe McDaid effort crashed off the post for substitute John Pio Donaghey to slot home. Illies had another chance  but a Ronan Hegarty shot was superbly saved by Kerr. Greencastle had late chances when Shaun Cavanagh headed over from a corner  before Graham Doherty made a superb save to deny Jude Harkin in the final minute.

Division Two               

Dunree Res             3

QPS Res                    2

Dunree started well  but failed to capitalize on a couple of good positions and  the point came closes when a Ronan Lafferty piledriver was brilliantly turned round the angle of post and bar by Ryan Fitzpatrick. Midway through the half Dunree opened the scoring after Stephen McLaughlin’s ball over the top found TJ Mckinley to fire low past Liam Lyons. Dunree increased their lead before the break after good footwork from Michael Grant found McKinley who slotted home his second of the game. QPS got back into the game on 55 minutes when Jack McConalogue collected possession and fired a superb effort to the top corner. But when Bryce Fullerton split the visitors defence with a fine through ball McKinley kept his composure to complete his hat trick. In injury time Dunree failed to deal with a corner allowing Lee Barr to fire home from close range but it was only a consolation at that stage.

Culdaff Res                          2

Redcastle Res                    2

In bright but windy conditions there was an even opening to this game with the first chance falling to the home side but Paul Doherty in the visitors goal made a fine double save to deny Jack McLaughlin and Jack O’Brien. Redcastle settled and Shane McCauley was well placed on the edge of the area but fired straight at Puaric O Donnell. The visitors took the lead on 36 minutes after the unmarked Gary Kelly headed home from close range from a corner. On the stroke of half time they doubled their lead when  a driven cross from the left by Ben Faulkner found Terry McColgan unmarked on the penalty spot and he powered a header to the top right hand corner. Culdaff started the second period well and reduced the deficit within two minutes after Ben Curley released Jack McLaughlin on the left and he fired a superb effort to the top right hand corner from sixteen yards. They had a great chance to get back on terms when Ryan Greene was bundled over in the area but McLaughlin’s spot kick was well pushed away by Doherty diving to his right. Culdaff did get back on terms after great work by Mclaughlin  on the right saw him upended by the keeper as he went round him and this time Ryan Greene stepped up to make no mistake. The home side almost snatched all three points in the closing minutes when substitute Damien Duffy saw his well delivered corner cleared off the line.