Match Reports Sunday 23rd April

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Saturday  22nd  April

Charlie O Donnell Cup Final

Greencastle Youth 1


QPS ended their run of defeats at headquarters with a hard fought win over a Greencastle side who will rue the fact they spurned two great chances in the opening ten minutes.

The first chance came on 3 minutes after Christy Hegarty headed the ball over a defender for Tony McClenaghan to race into the area but  his low strike was diverted away by the outstretched leg of Conor O Neill. Then four minutes later a superb burst up the left by Ronan Doherty saw him release Hegarty on the right hand side of the area and when he cut inside a defender his goal bound effort was brilliantly blocked by Ross Nicholas. Then the Point took the lead with their first attack after Conor Barrow found space on the left and his pinpoint cross was headed home by Sean McIntyre to the roof of the net giving Evan Davenport no chance. Barrow then went close again when he bore down on goal and slipped the ball past the advancing Davenport only for Gavin Rowan to get back to clear the ball off the line. They continued to press with a Jamie McLaughlin free well saved at his left had post by Davenport. Then out of the blue Greencastle got back on terms in the 27th minute. A corner from the left bobbled around the area before McClenaghans close range header was headed off the line by a defender but Ciaran Moore emphatically volleyed to the roof of the net from twelve yards. Ronan Doherty then dispossessed a defender  inside the area  and unleashed an effort from a tight angle which O Neill saved well. On the stroke of half time  good interplay on the left between Barrow and Mark Murray ended with a Barrow shot which deflected off a defender and was saved by Davenport. Defences were on top after the restart until the hour mark when Greencastle captain Josh Lafferty unleashed a powerful thirty yards effort which flew inches over the bar. Three minutes later at the other end the Point regained the lead after an inswinging Ross Nicholas corner was headed to the net at the near post by Murray. Greencastle tried to respond immediately with a Ronan Doherty effort superbly tipped behind by O Neill. At the other end great play from Barrow saw him thread a pass inside the full back for Lee Rutherford on the right hand side of the area but he snatched at the shot when  he had time for a touch. Greencastle pressed hard in the final fifteen minutes with a Lafferty effort   going over before a Kyle Harkin Free on the edge of the area was deflected just past the post. Harkin had the final attempt in a bid to force extra time but his effort sailed over the bar.


Greencastle Youths


Man Of The Match

For the runners up  Ronan Doherty and Josh Lafferty both had good games while for the winners Sean McIntyre , Conor O Neill  and Jamie McLaughlin were all prominent. But the award goes to diminutive winger Conor Barrow who was a constant threat to the Greencastle defence with one assist and also created numerous other chances  for his side.



Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Sea Rovers 1

Illies  Res 2

There was a good tight start to the game but it was not until the 20th minute  that the first attempt arrived  when Illies Liam O Connor got a shot away outside the box but Rovers keeper Glenn Watson pulled of a fine save. Illies then broke on the half hour and  opened the scoring after a touch from Shane Devlin set up Paddy Doherty who shot went beyond Glenn Watson  in the home goal. Rovers  replied and went close before the break  when Andrew Gallagher’s  shot come off the bar only to see Oisin Hassons rebound to go wide.  The first chance of the second half fell to the visitors after a long ball to I Michael Doherty saw his shot well saved by Glenn Watson. At the other end  Rovers failed to even the score when a ball in from Tiarnan Stevens went passed the goal line with no player coming close to getting it. Illies made the break and a ball laid off by Shane Devlin saw Michael Doherty shoot high over Glenn Watson  to double their advantage.  But the home side responded andreduced the deficit in the 77th minute after Rovers broke and good play by Connor Kelly saw his shot beat the Illies Keeper Conor Sharkey . Rovers kept up the pressure and the last chance of the game came when Connor Kelly crossed in for Mark Mc Laughlin  who headed just over the bar as the visitors claimed the points.


Sunday   23rd April

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    11am

Moville  Res 0

Carn Res 2

Carn Res moved joint top of the table with Rashenny after this hard fought win over Moville on Sunday.  The home side had the first chance when a Norbert Indyka effort was well saved by Daniel McDaid in the Carn goal.

  Carn responded with Dayton Cooke s effort saved by Ryan Coyle before Coyle tipped a Dillon Cooke shot around the post. Midway through the half Carn were awarded a penalty and Dayton Cooke slotted low to Coyle s right to open the scoring. Carn continued on top and Mark Scott unleashed an effort which was tipped  over by Coyle. Before the break Moville had a couple of half chances. Firstly a Ronan McCarron effort was smothered by McDaid before Indyka created space inside the area but drilled just wide.  Moville again began  well in the second half without troubling McDaid in the Carn goal. On the hour mark Dayton Cooke was denied again by Coyle before Cormac Mclaughlin saw an effort tipped round the post.  Moville then had a good chance after Indyka released Pearse Doherty on the left but his effort was saved by McDaid at full stretch. Carn struck for the crucial second goal in the 80th minute when Scott evaded a couple of challenged and squared for Kyran Cantwell to slot home from close range.  

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     11am

Redcastle Res 2

Glengad Res 1

After a slow start to the game  the first chance came Glengads way with John McDaid shooting wide from twenty five yards. Glengad took the lead  on the half hour  from a free kick 40 yards out into Calvan White who headed past Oisin Quigley. Two  minutes later glengad had another attack down redcastle’s  left wing with a low cross into PJ McDaid who failed to hit the target. Redcastle replied before the break with a Gary Kelly header saved and Kelly seeing the follow up effort also saved. The visitors had the first chance of the second half with McDaid going close  while at the other end a misplaced pass in the visitors defence was seized on by Kealan Henry  but he fired straight at the keeper.Redcastle equalised  77 minutes  after a long throw in put into the  glengads box  which  Gary Kelly flicked  onto  Henry who  converted with a low finish. Both teams pushed for the win in the closing stages and Redcastles Jason Lynch in the 89th minute intercepted  a Glengad attack before playing  the ball over the top to Henry and after  a mix up between the goalkeeper and defender   allowed  Henry to round the keeper and finish to seal the points for the home side.


Rashenny Res 2

Dunree Res 1

Rashenny started this game well with Gareth McKeever firing a free kick just over the bar before the same player advanced from half way before unleashing a low shot which Philip Doherty in the Dunree goal saved with his legs. They broke the deadlock in the 21st minute after Eoin Fowley despatched a twenty five yards free kick to the top corner giving Doherty no chance. A McKeever long range free then just eluded Ryan O Donnell at the back post. Dunree s first threat  arrived in the 29th minute after a Cain Devlin cross was met by a flying header from Cian Moran but Roger McGilloway saved well. The visitors got back on terms just before the break then with Adam Barrett racing clear from half way and firing low past McGilloway from the edge of the area. Dunree s Cian Moran had the first shot of the second half but McGilloway was equal to the task. At the other end O Donnells low driven cross was gathered by Doherty under pressure from a couple of attackers.  Dunree got on top for a spell then with Sean McColgan shooting over before Oisin McGettigan was denied by a superb last ditch Izaak Diver tackle as he broke into the area. The home side then struck for the winning goal with three minutes remaining after a corner was only half cleared by the Dunree defence and Cahir Noone fired to the roof of the net from twelve yards.


QPS Youths 3

Carrowmena FC 1

QPS moved to the top of the table for the first time this season with this deserved win over a battling Carrowmena. They got off to a dream start in the 5th minute after Cillian McEleney crossed for John McCloskey to sidefoot home at the near post from six yards. They continued to peeper the visitors goal with McEleney seeing an effort crash off the bar, a McCloskey effort blocked by Ruairi Dougal  and following a corner Oisin McIntyres effort  was cleared off the line. Carrowmena tried to respond and Mike Price headed over from a corner before an Eddie McIntyre volley was well saved by Stephen Slattery. Before the break Michael Noone saved well to deny both McCloskey and Josh McLaughlin from point blank range. Noone was in action early in the second half saving well from a McIntyre effort  in the 47th minute. At the other end  Niall Curran headed wide for the visitors when well placed. The home side upped the tempo at this stage with Eamon McCool seeing a header cleared off the line before they doubled their lead. Good work by Josh McLaughlin on the right saw his cross swept home by McEleney from ten yards. They then made it three nil after a mazy Aaron Scott run ended with  him squaring the ball for  Mclaughlin to slot home. Carrowmena scored a late consolation after substitute Gerard Gill fired home from close range.