Match Reports Sunday 22nd October

FAI Junior Cup   

Illies Celtic                    3

Cappry Rovers             3    ( win 6-5 on pens)

Illies took the lead on 10 minutes after Adrian Donaghey- Doherty and Dominic Coyle played a neat one two  for Coyle to drill low to the net. But Cappry equalised on 15 minutes after a good move ended with Callum McShane hammering past Johnathan Noone to the roof of the net from twelve yards. Before the break Cappry took the lead when McShane beat the offside trap before racing clear and laying the ball off for Calvin Bradley to tap home. They then made it three one minutes after the restart when McShane evaded three tackles and rounded Noone to drill home for a superb solo goal. Illies rallied and when Coyle released Donaghey – Doherty his cross was headed home by Puaric McDaid. They equalised on 81minutes after Gavin Doherty broke on the left hand side and his driven cross deflected off a defender and into the net. There were no clear cut chances in extra time for either side and it went to sudden death penalties with Cappry scraping through six five.

Carn  FC                                  1

Kilmacrennan Celtic             2

Kevin McLaughlin’s side can really only blame themselves for this loss as they had numerous chances  and missed a penalty and ultimately paid the price. In the opening period Dermot Doherty fired over and Gert Dzerins fired wide  both when well placed. Kilmacrennan responded and Kevin O Donnell fired a twenty yards free just over the bar. But Carn resumed control and Doherty again fired over the bar from fifteen yards before after another good move Darragh Browne shot wide from the penalty spot. Carn did break the deadlock on 49 minutes after a Ronan Doherty cross was brilliantly headed to the top corner by Aaron McCarron.  But within seven minutes the visitors levelled when O’Donnell’s cross was  slotted home by the unmarked Gary Gorman. Midway through the half a Ronan Doherty cross found Matthew McLaughlin well placed but he headed wide. Kilmacrennan then broke and took the lead on 69 minutes when a Jason Quinn free broke to  Kevin O Donnell and he rounded Kyle Dougal to slot home. It was all Carn pressure afterwards with Ronan Doherty blazing a penalty way over the top after McCarron was upended. Then in the closing stages Dermot Doherty fired over and Brandon Browne fired wide when well placed.

Greencastle FC            5

Milford United             0

Greencastle dominated throughout and took the lead in the opening minute when Michael Henry fed Matthew Henry who slid the ball into the feet of Nigel McMonagle and he turned an slotted low past Damien Crossan. Mark Henry then fired wide before Michael Henry and McMonagle both had efforts well saved by Crossan. Milford replied and when Jonah Serrinha broke on the right his dangerous cross  was pinched clear by Dylan Doherty. In a similar situation Doherty punched a Damien McLaughlin cross clear and when the home side broke Matthew Henry had an effort saved. Greencastle increased their lead then on 22 minutes when a quick free by keeper Doherty  released McMonagle and he sidestepped keeper Crossan to drill home. Milford then suffered another blow when they were reduced to ten men. Greencastle continued to press but their best effort was when Matthew Henry saw an effort crash off the bar. Milford then spurned a gilt edged opening when Darragh Greene was upended in the area but Adam Serrinha ‘s spot kick was well parried to his right by Doherty. In the second period  Hegarty had an effort saved before Henry and Gill were off target with efforts. Midway through the half Greencastle made it three nil when Michael Henry won possession and fed Matthew Henry who pulled the ball back for Hegarty to fire a crisp half volley to the net from fifteen yards. Minutes later Matthew Henry headed home a David Heuston cross.

Milford’s Terence Shields then forced a good save from Doherty before hooking another effort over the bar from close range. The home side completed the scoring on 81 minutes when substitute Joe Doherty crossed for Matthew Henry who squared the ball to McMonagle and he controlled well and slotted home to complete his hat trick.

Glenea United              5

Glengad United           3

Glengad had the first clear chance of this game when Terence Doherty bore down on goal in a one on one but keeper Joe Coll was equal to the task. But Glenea settled and took the lead after Chris McGeady converted  a penalty despite the best efforts of Christopher McLaughlin. A free kick then fortuitously broke to McGeady and he finished superbly to make it two nil on the half hour. They made it three nil before the break when McGeady found himself with time and space to control and advance before firing low across McLaughlin to the bottom corner. When both Ryan McFadden and Peter Sweeney scored in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half to make it five nil it looked all over. But Glengad rallied and two quick Terence Doherty strikes gave Glengad renewed spirit. Chriistopher McLaughlin then came out of goals to be replaced by Shane Canning and  McLaughlin added a third. It was all Glengad in the closing stages but the home side hung on to advance.



Jackie Crossan Premier Division             

QPS                               2

Buncrana Hearts          5

After an even start to this game the point broke the deadlock on 12 minutes after Josh Boyle advanced up the left and fed Bradley Callaghan who laid the ball off for Deaglan Bown to drill low past Liam McGonigle. Buncrana upped the tempo and Michael Coyle and Kieran McDaid both fired just wide. They equalised on 29minutes after Bart Wesoloski fond space on the left to fire low across David Bell to the far corner. Minutes later they took the lead after Wesoloski’s cross was well controlled by Coyle who fired low to the corner. Wesoloski then fired wide at the back post before on the stroke of half time McDaid converted a penalty firing low to the corner.  Buncrana increased their lead minutes after the restart when Ben Bradley advanced unchallenged on the left and dinked a superb finish over Bell. But the point got a goal back then when   a superb solo run by Boyle took him from half way into the area to drill low past McGonigle.McDaid was then denied by the legs of Bell before Bell saved well from Bradley. The hearts completed the scoring on 70 minutes when a terrible defensive error allowed McDaid in to tap home.

Culdaff FC            1

Aileach FC           6

A rampant second half for the visitors saw them return to the top of the league with victory over a  vastly under strength Culdaff side.

That said the first half was a very even and well contested affair and the home  side will feel that given the chances they had they could have been ahead. Conor Keddy flashd an early snapshot wide before on 15minutes he flicked on for Brendan McLaughlin through the middle but he fired badly wide. At the other end Caoimhin McFeely got away with a nudge in the back but then his attempted lob was gathered by Daniel Mullarkey. The best chance of the half came to the home side when Keddy flicked on through the middle for McLaughlin to race clear but his effort was saved by Peter Devlin who recovered to smother the follow up. Aileach broke the deadlock on 39 minutes  in fortuitous fashion when a Ronan Coyle free kick took a huge deflection  and spun into the bottom corner. But the homeside equalised immediately after McLaughlin was barged over in the area and Dermot Diver sent Peter Devlin the wrong way. Coyle then intercepted a dreadful Culdaff clearance but saw his first effort well saved by Mullarkey before driving the rebound wide. On the stroke of half time Ryan Greene headed an inswinging Keddy corner inches over the bar.Aileach upped the tempo after the break with Thomas McMonagle blazing over from twelve yards before the home defence failed to clear a corner allowing Gavin Doherty t fire to the top corner.Gareth McGlynn then fired wide when he should have done better after a brilliant Darren McMonagle run and lay off. On 65 minutes Coyle ran onto a superb Thomas McMomagle pass and finished superbly. Minutes later McGlynn burst into the area and laid the ball back for McFeely to hammer high to the roof of the net. It then became five one when McMonagle’s free from wide on the right was not cut out and the unmarked Gavin Doherty fired past Mullarkey. Culdaff tried to respond and a Dillon Ruddy effort looked destined for the top corner until Devlin brilliantly tipped it away. Aileach completed the scoring when substitute Patrick Curran pounced on a desperate defensive error to drill home.


Strand Hotel Division One 

Buncrana Res               1

Dunree United             0

This was a typical hard fought local derby and Buncrana kept their recent good  form going at the top of the table with a narrow win.

On 7 minutes good work by Dunree’s Liam Baldrick saw his cross reach Philip McGuinness whose half volley clipped the outside of the post. Dunree spurned another good chance after Thomas Doherty with only Eoin O Doherty to beat fired wide from twelve yards. Buncrana replied with a cross field ball from Harry Forshaw was controlled and volleyed by Gerard Boyle but brilliantly tipped over by Philip Doherty. Buncrana broke the deadlock on 35 minutes when Liam McCarron rose high to head home a Forshaw corner from twelve yards. After a slow start to the second period McGuinness fired a free kick narrowly wide on 68 minutes before James O Donnell beat two men but saw his attempted chip beat O’ Doherty but crash off the bar. With Dunree pressing Buncrana broke in the final minute but Boyle fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area.

Clonmany Res                       0

Redcastle United                  5

Redcastle got off to a great start in the first minute when Aaron Nash ran through the home defence to fire low past Patrick Harkin. Nash doubled the lead minutes later when he collected a ball from Brendan Murphy to round a defender and poke past Harkin. Clonmany replied and on 14minutes  Pearse McCarron robbed  a defender and fed Michael Devlin whose first time shot was cleared off the line. At the other end an overhead kick by Murphy crashed off the bar before being cleared by the home defence. Midway through the half Nash capitalized on a slip in defence to fire home and complete his hat trick. Before the break a lapse in concentration allowed Nash to burst past two defenders and slip the ball low past Harkin. Five minutes into the second half Redcastle broke quickly with Murphy drawing Harkin and slipping the ball low past  him. Late on Harkin saved well  on a couple of occasions and both Matthew Brennan and John McCarron cleared off the line to limit the damage.

Aileach Res                  1

Gleneely Colts              1

After a scrappy opening the first chance fell to the home side on 12 minutes when Conor Bradley fed Ruairi Bradley and he cut inside to cross for Ciaran McGrory who fired narrowly wide from twelve yards.

Gleneely responded midway through the half and an Enda Folan free eluded all and landed in the net to give the colts the lead. Aileach replied with Eamon Brown releasing Stephen Doherty who cut inside a defender and fired a rising shot past Adrian Duffy. The second half was a dour affair and there was only one clear chance when Sean McHugh sent Stephen Tabbitt through in 85th minute but he was denied by a superb John Doherty tackle to earn his side a point.

Sea Rovers          1

Rasheney FC     2

After a quiet opening Rovers  gradually got on top but it took them until the 27th minute to break the deadlock when a long ball from Tiernan Stephens caused confusion in the visitors defence and Graham Morgan capitalized to slot home. Rasheney responded after the half hour mark but Damien Friel fired narrowly wide. Just before the break Rasheney got back on terms when after a goal mouth scramble Friel was in the right place to slot home. Rasheney dominated the second period and took the lead on 48 minutes when Charlie Doherty lobbed Michael St Ledger from the edge of the area.

Conor O Neill and two efforts from John Grant went narrowly wide as Rasheney continued to press forward. They also had the final chance after Shane Gordon released Grant but he fired just wide.

Moville Celtic               4

Cockhill Youth              1

Moville kept their title challenge on track and got off to a dream start in the first minute after Nathan Harkin fed brother Kyle on the left and his pin point cross saw Kevin McDermott slide the ball home. Norbert Indyka then fired an effort wide while at the other end Darragh McDermott fired over the bar. When Indyka was upended inside the area Charlie Gill converted the penalty high to the net to make it two nil. Cockhill’s Kevin McDaid was then denied by a superb reflex save  from Ryan Coyle while on the stroke of half time at the other end Tony Boyce saw his effort well saved by Declan Caldwell. As in the first half Moville got a dream start to the second period when the Harkin brothers combined and Kyle crossed for Gill to sidefoot home. Darragh McDermott for Cockhill was then denied by the legs of Ryan Coyle while Caldwell tipped over a fine Jack Keys effort. Cockhill did get a goal back on 62 minutes after McDermott’s effort was parried by Coyle for Kevin McDaid to react first and drill home. But Moville had the final say when Boyce crossed for McNaught to slot home from close range. Cockhill had the final effort but a Ronan Mc Laughlin effort crashed off the bar.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Moville Res                  4

Illies Res                       1

In blustery conditions the first half saw Pearse Doherty have an early effort turned round the post by Graham Doherty before the same player ran onto a Dermot Harkin pass and fired  a rising effort past Doherty on 21 minutes. The remainder of the half was a midfield battle and on 51 minutes a Colin Doherty effort was well saved by Doherty in the visitors goal. On the hour mark Pearse Doherty had a good free also well saved. Minutes later the home side increased their lead after Doherty had parried a Graeme Doherty effort but PJ Barr headed home from close range. Illies rallied and reduced the deficit on 71minutes when Charlie McLaughlin pounced on a defensive error and lobbed Puaric Carey Doherty. At the other end Colin Doherty raced onto a ball over the top but saw his effort clip the outside of the post. Moville sealed the points on 88 minutes when Barr broke into the area and rounded Doherty to slot home. They completed the scoring on the stroke of half time when John harkin lobbed Doherty from twenty yards.

Rasheney Res               1

Greencastle Res          1

In very blustery conditions there were few chances with Daniel Rowan for the visitors shooting but he was well off target. At the other end Alan Doherty broke on the left and his low cross was claimed by Seamus Bovaird. On the half hour Matthew Duffy laid the ball across to Jack McLaughlin whose well struck effort crashed off the bar with Bovaird beaten. Minutes later Duffy advanced from half way and fed Nathan McConalogue who played in Paul McConalogue and he rounded Bovaird but saw Sean Cavanagh get back to clear off the line. In the opening attack of the second period Rasheney took the lead when a twenty five yards Nathan McCpnalogue effort deceived Bovaird in the Greencastle goal.On 48 minutes Rowan had an effort from the edge of the area held by Johnathan Toland. Rasheney replied when Duffy dispossessed a defender and advanced to fire a low cross across the face of goal but there were no takers. Greencastle then had a chance when Tom Heuston blazed over when very well placed. On 64 minutes Jude Harkin saw a free kick from distance bounce and crash off the bar. A defensive error in the visitors defence allowed Alan Doherty in but he hesitated and a defender got back to clear. Doherty again got in behind the defence and fired wide with only Bovaird to beat. Greencastle then had a good chance when Ronan Doherty broke but he fired weakly at Toland. Greencastle struck for the winner on the stroke of full time when Harkin was fouled in the area allowing Jason McKinney to drill lo to Tolands right and claim the points.

Carrowmena Res                  1

Dunree Res                            1

Carrowmena started this game well and on 5 minutes a Samuel Bredin free was headed just over by Raymond Campbell when well placed. Then a long range range John Lynch effort was well gathered by Roger McGilloway before a well struck Killian Dougal effort flew inches wide. Midway through the half Dunree replied and a Luke Bradley free sailed over the bar. At the other end Evan McDermott saw hose effort drift wide from twenty yards.  A Dunree free by Bryce Fullerton found James Doherty but he headed wide. On the stroke of half time Bredin s free was tipped over. Against the wind Carrowmena kept pressing and on the hour a Gerard Gill effort failed to hit the target. Minutes later Ryan McDermott beat two defenders  and crossed for James McDermott to lay the ball off for Bredin to slot low to the corner from ten yards and give the home side the lead. On 75 minutes TJ McKinley for the visitors fired over from ten yards when he should have done better. Dunree got back on terms when substitute Patrick Toland advanced and unleashed a wind assisted effort to the roof of the net past Mark Doherty. Carrowmena pressed hard to the end of the game but the Dunree defence stood firm.

Redcastle Res                        1

Aileach Youth                        3      

Played in heavy conditions at Foyle Park Redcastle started bright with   Evan Craig hitting the side netting and mark Doherty shooting over  from long range . But Aileach took the lead when a long range effort was  deflected past Paul Doherty in the home net. Redcastle responded well when Ronan Hoy beat his man and crossed for   Shay Davenport to head over. Redacstle then had an Evan Craig effort

well saved by the keeper and again Craig saw his effort cleared of the

line by a defender.Aileach played mainly on the break against the

breeze and had a couple long range efforts easily handled by Doherty in  the home goal. Just before half time Hoy was played through by Craig but blazed wide   when well placed

Redcastle were quick out of the blocks on the restart and equalised

when Davenport slipped Doherty in to hammer low past the kepper.

Redcastle then lost key players Ronan Hoy and Terry McColgan through   injury and gave Aileach the incentive to push on and the regained the   lead when a cross was deflected home by a defender on the 70 minute. Moments later a deep corner carried in to the net by the breeze made   it 3-1 to Aileach .