Match Reports Sunday 22nd April

Tuesday 17th April

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Greencastle  FC                 3

Aileach FC                          0

Greencastle inflicted a very damaging defeat on Aileach in their pursuit of the league title

 at Chapel Lane on Tuesday night. In the early exchanges Nigel McMonagle had an early shot deflected wide while at the other end Gavin Doherty broke clear and with only keeper Dylan Doherty to beat he fired wide when well placed. Aileach continued to press and a dangerous Darren McMonagle cross eluded all before Doherty fed Ronan Coyle on the penalty spot but his effort was well saved by the home keeper. On 21 minutes McMonagle had a shot blocked and Gavin Harkin’s follow up was well saved by Peter Devlin. Aileach replied with Gareth McGlynn finding Dermot Doherty who fired inches wide. But Greencastle finished the half well and firstly McMonagle fired into the side netting from a tight angle before the same player ran onto a Matthew Henry pass but saw his effort crash off the bar. There was plenty of action in the opening ten minutes of the second period with Coyle seeing a goalbound effort cleared off the lie by Michael Barr before McMonagle had an effort blocked by Sean McKinney. At the other end Barr headed over from a corner before seeing another effort saved by Devlin. The deadlock was broken on the hour mark when Jamie McCormick fed McMonagle inside the area and although surrounded by four defenders the diminutive striker turned one way then the other before hammering low to the bottom corner from fifteen yards. Aileach tried to respond with Cathal McElhinney getting on the end of a Thomas McMonagle free but Doherty saved well. The visitors were delay a severe blow on 69 minutes when McMonagle broke clear and as he attempted to round Devlin the keeper handled outside the area and was shown the inevitable red card and he was replaced by Mark McElhinney. McElhinney saved well from Henry’s free kick but was powerless on 73 minutes when McMonagle raced onto Henrys through ball to powerfully fire low to the corner. On 85 minutes Conor Gillen cut in from the left and fired in a stunning effort which McElhinney did well to parry but Gillen followed up to slam the rebound home. Aileach spurned a consolation after Caoimhin McFeely was upended in the area with McGlynn firing over the angle while the final action came at the other end when Gillen’s effort was well saved by McElhinney.

Culdaff FC                         4

Buncrana Hearts               2

In an entertaining encounter the home side got off to a dream start when they took the lead on 7 minutes after Brendan McLaughlin released Aiden Cunningham on the right and his low cross was slotted home by Coyle. Minutes later an audacious effort from inside the centre circle by McLaughlin sailed over the back tracking Eoghan O Doherty but crashed off the bar. Culdaff increased their lead on 16 minutes when Noel McLaughlin collected a clearance after a corner on the right and his superb cross found Coyle to head across O’Doherty to the far corner from eight yards. Buncrana replied minutes later and when a dangerous cross from John Timlin deflected off a defender for   a corner the loose ball broke to Adam Doherty to slot home. The hearts should have equalised on 23 minutes when a long throw across the area somehow found Stephen McHugh at the back post but he hooked high and wide from six yards. Buncrana continued to press and Liam McCarron had a header grabbed on the line by Callum Doherty before and Adam Dohery  snapshot was again well saved. Culdaff hit back before the break and  an over head kick from Mclaughlin was tipped over the bar by O Doherty. Culdaff increased their lead on the stroke of half time when McLaughlins free rebounded off the wall and he lashed the rebound low into the bottom right hand corner. Buncrana started the second period well and reduced the deficit after a corner found the unmarked McHugh whose headed came off the bar and he fired home the  rebound from six yards. Buncrana continued to press but found clear chances difficult to come by . On 71minutes Kevin O’Loughlin spread the ball wide to McHugh on the left and his effort from the edge of the area was tipped over by Doherty before O’Loughlin looked destined to score but his effort was brilliantly blocked by Coyle. In a rare foray forward Coyle then released Cunningham but his attempted lob was badly off target. Buncrana resumed on the attack and when Aaron McColgan burst along the end line his ball across was scrambled clear before Adam  Doherty had a shot well parried by Doherty. The Hearts were dealt a blow when O’Loughlin received his marching orders after a second yellow card before on the stroke of full time Shane Dillon headed McHugh’s corner over the bar. Culdaff ended on the front foot and deep into stoppage time good pressure by Jack O Brien saw him intercept a pass and find Cunningham who showed great composure to drill low past O’Doherty.

Saturday 21st  April

Clubman Shirts League Cup Final 

Glengad United                 4

Redcastle United              0

Glengad regained the Clubmans Shirts league  cup with a comprehensive victory over a gallant Redcastle side. Redcastle set their stall out to frustrate the league champions and it was working well until the last minute of the first half. Glengad had the first chance on 3 minutes when a superb Shane Canning pass out to Stephen McLaughlin on the right saw the winger cut inside and unleash an effort which Michael McCole held well. They had a great chance on 10 minutes after great work by Terence Doherty  on the left saw him cut along the byeline and fed the ball back to McLaughlin but his effort was deflected wide by a defender. Long range efforts from Adam Byrne and McLaughlin were both easily gathered by McCole. Just as it looked like  being scoreless at the break Glengad struck. A long hooked clearance by James McKinney sent Terence Doherty clear and he headed over the advancing McCole  from sixteen yards. Glengad started the second half well and increased their lead two minutes  in when Seamus Doherty’s free broke to a Redcastle defender but a poor clearance fell to Terence Doherty who fired inside the near post from the edge of the area. Redcastle replied and a Denim McLaughlin through ball found Aaron Nash who got in front of a defender but failed to control.At the other end John G McLaughlin headed over from a corner before Redcastle’s Conor McNamee and Shaun Curran both fired over the bar from twenty yards. Glengad then had two great chances to seal the game when both Michael Byrne and substitute Christopher McLaughlin raced clean through but McCole made superb saves on both occasions. On 77 minutes Canning released Terence Doherty but McCole blocked with his legs and the loose ball fell to Michael Byrne who rolled it wide of the gaping goal from twenty yards. Redcastle replied with substitute Darragh McConway firing wide before the same player delivered a superb cross from the right but Jack McConalogue headed over the bar. Another fine ball over the top released Terence Doherty but McCole excelled again denying the striker his hat trick. But Doherty was not to be denied on the stroke of full time when Stephen McLaughlin  fed Doherty who rounded McCole checked back and fired a sweet left footed effort to the net from fifteen yards. To rub salt into the wounds Glengad added a superb fourth in injury time after Christopher McLaughlin played a superb one two with brother Stephen before rifling a brilliant powerful effort past McCole.

Pictured top left Eilish Grant Clubman Shirts presents Glengad captain John G. Mc laughlin with the Clubman Shirt’s Cup

Man Of The Match

As usual there were players on both sides who performed well. For the losers Michael McCole was excellent while Dean Curran and Denim McLaughlin tried hard. For the winners Stephen McLaughlin , Shane Canning and Adam Byrne were excellent but the award goes to Terence Doherty who scored a tremendous hat trick and whose link u play was of the highest order.










Glengad United winners of the Clubman Shirts League Cup

Redcastle United who lost to Glengad in the Clubman Shirts League Cup Final


SUNDAY 22nd April

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Buncrana Hearts               3

Illies Celtic                          3

Illies threw themselves a relegation lifeline when they came from three goals down with half an hour  left to salvage a point. Buncrana started the opening half well but had to wait until the 21st minute for their first effort with Ryan Curran firing narrowly wide from twenty yards. Good work by Kieran McDaid then produced another chance for  Michael Coyle but he failed to hit the target as the half ended scoreless. Buncrana blitzed the visitors with three goals in a five minute spell. Stephen McHugh opened the scoring when he headed home McDaid’s corner before a superb McDaid cross found Coyle who slotted home to make it two nil. Then Eoin Murphy’s pinpoint cross was headed home to make it three nil and the game looked over. But Illies rallied and after hesitant defending in the home ranks Paddy Doherty pounced to drill home from ten yards. Doherty then reduced the deficit on 78 minutes when he was left unmarked to head home. On 84 minutes Illies completed an amazing turnaround when Kevin McGonagle fired a superb twenty yards effort to the top corner. In the final minute the Hearts almost snatched victory but McHugh’s twenty yards effort crashed off the bar.

Clonmany Shamrocks                  1

Greencastle FC                              3

There was little by way of goalmouth action in the opening half an houe but Greencastle then had the first chance after Nigel McMonagle unleashed an effort which Paddy Harkin saved well.On 34 minutes the visitors took the lead after Nigel McMonagle broke on the left and his driven cross was turned home by an unfortunate defender. Just after half time McMonagle broke clear on the left and his low shot was well parried by Patrick Harkin. Minutes later Clonmany equalised when Jason Devlin cut in from the left and fired low to the corner past Dylan Doherty from the edge of the area. Greencastle regained the lead on 55 minutes after Stephen Grant crossed for Shaun Doherty to sidefoot home from six yards. Clonmany replied with Paddy Doherty beating two men and advancing into the area but was crowded out. Greencastle increased their lead when McMonagle controlled and beat a defender and slotted low past Harkin. McMonagle was then denied late on when Harkin made a good save as Greencastle continue their good late season form.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup Semi Final 

Aileach FC                5

QPS                            2

Q.P.S. began this game well and closed Aileach down at every opportunity not allowing the home side to settle. On 10 minutes Josh Boyle stung David McGeedy’s palms with a well struck effort from fifteen yards. Midway through the half Aileach took the lead somewhat against the run of play when a free kick wide on the right was delivered by Thomas McMonagle and glanced off the head of a defender leaving Liam Lyons stranded. Within five minutes they doubled their lead when Darren McMonagle cut inside on his right foot and drove a shot high past Lyons. The second half was only three minutes  old when Connor Barrow got behind the Aileach defence but McGeedy advanced to block the wingers effort. Almost immediately Aileach broke through Anthony Doherty but he dragged his shot wide of Lyon’s right hand post. On the hour Aileach notched up their third after good work between Anthony Doherty and Ronan Coyle released Darren McMonagle who side footed low past Lyon’s right hand from twelve yards. Aileach were well on top at this stage and Mark McElhinney volleyed home a fourth  from a Caomhin McFeeley corner. With 15 minutes left Stephen Doherty broke clear and Liam Lyons did well to save the centre forward’s effort but was unfortunate to see the rebound fall to the same player who finished high to the net from close range. Q.P.S got a consolation with on 85 minutes  when Josh Boyle finished low past McGeedy from eight yards  and with time almost up they got a secon which their play deserved when Boyle converted a penalty given when McGeedy committed a foul.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup ½ Final

Buncrana Res                     0

Dunree United                   2

A goal late on in either half gave Dunree a trip to Maginn Park  to contest the final of the Fr O’Gara Cup. Although Dunree played with the wind in the first half the majority of play was concentrated in midfield. Dunree created the first chance of the match on ten minutes but Buncrana keeper O’Sullivan saved comfortably and shortly after Kevin Mc Colgan had to acrobatically clear off his line with O’ Sullivan beaten. At the other end Philip Doherty in the Dunree goal easily gathered in two long range Gerard Boyle  free kicks. Dunree were causing problems on either flank with Evan Barry and Liam Baldrick and it was Baldrick who opened the scoring in the forty first minute when his free kick from twenty five yards gave O’ Sullivan no chance. Almost immediately Paul Mc Daid could have put Hearts back on level terms but his header from a tight angle just went over the bar. The second half started with Hearts, now with the wind, on the attack. Harry Foreshaw shot just over the bar while Gerard Boyle’s shot from six yards was well saved by Dunree keeper Doherty. Alan Friel’s introduction almost produced an immediate dividend but as the half progressed Hearts found no way through, over or around a Dunree defence well marshalled by Ryan Bradley and Barry Nixon. As Hearts grew more desperate to find an equalizer they were always likely to be caught on the counter attack and so it happened in the dying minutes. With everyone up for a corner Dunree’s clearance found an unmarked Bernie Doherty on the halfway line and he rounded the advancing O’ Sullivan to slot into an empty net from thirty yards to leave the final score two nil in Dunree’s favour.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A               

Cockhill Res                         2

Aileach Youths                  0

Cockhill started the stronger of the two sides and took the lead after 20 minutes. Adam McCarron scored his first goal in senior football for Cockhill Reserves when he rose well to bullet in a header from twelve yards past Aileach keeper Dylan Clarke from a Mark Gillespie corner.Aileach nearly equalised just before half time when a deflected pass from Aaron Doherty found its way through to Benny Hegarty but Ryan Fitzpatrick in the Cockhill goal was sharp off his line to save well at his feet.Aileach put Cockhill under some pressure after the break forcing a numberof corners but Cokhill’s defence held firm.Continued pressure from Aileach kept Cockhill back in their own half and a speculative cross from John Canning almost found its way past Cockhill keeper Ryan Fitzpatrick but he adjusted his feet well to tip the effort on to the crossbar.On the hour mark Aileach again came very close to equalising when an excellent forty yard free kick from Killian O’Rourke hit the crossbar. Cockhill grew back in the to match and extended their lead after a quick counter attack. Ryan Mallett had a good effort blocked but Paddy McLaughlin was first to react and slotted home from ten yards past Dylan Clarke .Cockhill began to find their feet again and could have made it a more

comfortable end to the match but spurned a few late chances and held firm under late Aileach pressure to see the game out.

Redcastle Res                    1

Glengad Res                       4

Played in great conditions this match had plenty of good football  played by both teams. The early exchanges where mostly in mid field  with Glengad winning a number of corners but never worried Paul  Doherty in the home goal. Glengad took the lead in the 25th  minute when a  ball over the top was raced onto by PJ McDaid who slotted home at  the near post. Redcastle replied by pushing Glengad back and just  before the break a run from Terry Mc Colgan beat three defenders but was  brought down by a fourth with McColgan then converted the resulting penalty. Glengad started the second half brighter and pushed the home team back  and after a number of corners they regained the lead when Mark Smith  poked the ball home in a crowded penalty area. This brought a reaction  from the home team who pressed Glengad for the remainder of the game  and had chances to equalize when Terry McColgan headed against the  cross bar and Shay Davenport shooting over when well placed . But it  was Glengad who done the remaining of the scoring with two quick fire  goals on the break .Firstly a penalty when the home keeper was  adjudged to have taken down Kelly who slotted home to make it 3-1 and  Gary Kelly raced clear on the left and advanced into the area to   slot home giving the keeper no chance. Glengad were crowned   champions with this result and all at Redcastle Reserves would like to   congratulate them on their success.

Glengad Reserves win Division Two “A” Title to complete a double Congratulations



Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B               

Rasheney Res                     2

Dunree Res                         2

The first action of the game came on 16minutes when Corny McCole flashed an effort from twenty five yards just wide. Dunree replied and Johnathan Doherty firstly found TJ McKinley but his effort was well saved by Ciaran O Neill before threading a pass through to James Gill but again O’Neill saved. Rasheney replied with Ryan Doherty releasing Jack McLaughlin through the middle but Roger McGilloway advanced to block. The home side broke the deadlock just before the break after a McCole corner broke to Kevin Noone to hook home from eight yards. On the stroke of half time a McCole free kick took a deflection but McGilloway adjusted to gather. Dunree equalised on 49 minutes after Owen Cuffe got on the end of McKinleys pass to fire a rising shot from the right hand side of the area across O Neill to the far corner. Midway through the half Dunree’s substitute Martin McDermott was denied by the legs of O’Neill. Minutes later McDermott’s powerful effort produced another fine save  before also denying David Eccles shortly after. Dunree took the lead on 80 minutes when Johnathan Doherty headed home from close range following a corner. But Rasheney got back on terms within a minute when Jack McLaughlin challenged keeper McGilloway with the ball trickling over the line from ten yards. Dunree had a great chance to win the game but Cuffe sliced badly wide when well placed from ten yards.

Greencastle Res                2

Carrowmena Res               1

On 6 minutes Shaun Cavanagh broke in the opposition area but a superb Ryan McDermott tackle saved the day before Cavanagh headed over. Greencastle took the lead on 12 minutes after Brendan McDermott fed Ronan  Doherty who controlled well and slotted low past Michael Noone. Carrowmena replied with Aiden McLaughlin breaking past two challenges  but firing just wide  from twenty five yards. Greencastle then went close with Tom Heuston firing just wide .Midway through the half a quick break saw Darragh Gillen feed Tom Heuston whose effort was parried by Noone but Jude Harkin fired the rebound just over. Cavanagh then fired just wide on the half hour before Heuston headed narrowly wide. Carrowmena fought hard and Dean McGeoghaghan was denied by a fine David Henry tackle  before a long range Bob Kane shot sailed over. Christy McGeoghaghan and Aiden Mclaughlin both fired narrowly wide. Greencastle had the final chance of the half after an effort from Cavanagh was saved by Noone. Carrowmena had the first chance of the second period when a dangerous James McDermott cross was well cleared by Puaric Gillen before Finbar McCallion’s effort was easily gathered by Seamus Bovaird. On 61 minutes Greencastle doubled their lead when Darragh Gillen skipped past two defenders and his driven cross deflected off a  defender past Noone. Carrowmena substitute Gerard Gill  then broke on the right but his cross was well cut out by Seamus Bovaird. At the other end a Jude Harkin effort was turned round the post by Noone. On 81 minutes Cavanagh headed just over from twelve yards. Carrowmena went close on 86 minutes with Gill chipping just over before they got a goal back when Killian Dougal fed McLaughlin who cut inside and fired low past Bovaird from eight yards. The last chance fell to the home side when substitute Daniel Diver laid the ball off to Heuston whose effort was well saved by Noone.

Illies Res                  3

Carn Res                   3

This season finale was a highly entertaining game from start to finish.

Illies took an early lead when Jason Campbell chased a through ball to poke the ball past the advancing keeper. Illies doubled their lead on 25 minutes after Joe McLaughlin got on the end of a Stephen McGonagle corner to finish from five yards to leave the home side leading two nil at the break .Carn started the second half at a high tempo and got an early goal back with a neat finish from Donal Doherty. The game was then turned on it’s head courtesy of two quick fire goals by Carn from Tiarnan Coyne and a twenty  yard thunderbolt from Conor Doherty (S). Illies did not give up and got a late equaliser when a long punt upfield from Graham Doherty was headed home by Seamus O’Donnell to make it three each.