Match Reports Sunday 21st October

Sunday 21st  October

FAI Junior Cup 

Castlefin Celtic                  0                     

Glengad United                 3

Glengad advanced to the open draw stages of the FAI Junior cup again this season after this victory over Castlefin.

They got a let off in the opening minutes as a Corey Bogan twenty yard shot crashed back off the bar.Glengad  then score twice in the next ten minutes. Glengad opened the scoring when  a Conor Barrow cross from the left was slotted home from close range by Patrick McDermott.They increased their lead  then  after Terence Doherty  then blocked down a clearance and advanced to drill low past Chris O’Donnell. Patrick McDermott converted a penalty to make it three nil after Stephen Mclaughlin was upended in the area on the stroke of half time.  After the interval McLaughlin broke on the right and pulled the ball back for Doherty but O’Donnell saved well low to his right. Adam Byrne then had a header from a corner well tipped over by the home keeper. Glengad then saw out the final twenty minutes fairly comfortably to advance.

Keadue Rovers                   1                     

Illies Celtic                          2    AET

In a tight opening period there were few chances as the game ended scoreless at half time. The home side had the first chance on 17 minutes after an attempted chip from Ryan Dougal sailed over Johnathan Noone’s crossbar. Illies replied and Paddy Doherty had a header well saved by Danny Rodgers. The best chance of the half came when Illies broke quickly but Odhran McColgans effort was brilliantly tipped over by Rodgers. Keadue broke the deadlock within five minutes of the restart after the Illies defence failed to deal with a ball from midfield and Dougal pounced to fire low past Noone.Illies responded well to this set back but Rodgers in the home goal pulled off two brilliant saves to deny Paddy Doherty and Shane Doherty in a ten minute spell. Ilies then got back on terms in the 71st minute when Liam Doherty fired a stunning twenty five yards free kick over the wall and in off the post.

Greencastle FC                  4                     

Raphoe Town                     1

Michael Barr was in action at both ends in the opening period firing wide  on the attack before minutes later recovering well to deny Dylan Brolly as he broke clear of the home defence. Greencastle settled and broke the deadlock on 8 minutes when Gavin Harkin fed Michael Henry who flicked on to Christy Hegarty and he controlled instantly before drilling a powerful effort to the top corner for a sublime finish. They continued to press with Michael Henry off target twice before Hegarty had an effort deflected wide. In a rare attack DJ Kelly broke clear but Dylan Doherty then advanced to kick clear. Greencastle replied and Stephen Grant fired a half volley just over before a long range Shaun Doherty effort was well saved by Roy Duffy. The home side  doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when Jamie McCormick drilled home a penalty after Michael Henry had been upended. Greencastle had the first chance of the second half when a speculative effort from distance sailed just over. They increased their lead on 55 minutes when a McCormick free was parried by Duffy for Shaun Doherty to slot home from close range. Conor Gillen then laid the ball back for Hegarty to volley over before a McCormick free just shaved the bar. Matthew Henry then had a powerful low effort turned round the post by Duffy at full stretch. Raphoe replied  and reduced the deficit on 83 minutes when substitute Reece Laird lofted the ball forward for Glen McDaid to drive low to the net. A scramble in the other area saw a penalty awarded for handball and McCormick repeated his successful earlier attempt.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Aileach FC                                    2

Clonmany Shamrocks                  1

Aileach playing against a stiff breeze started well and on 5 minutes Darren Gallagher overlapped down the right and pulled the ball back for Anthony Doherty but the centre forward’s shot from twelve yards  was blocked by Fergal Harkin. The home side took the lead in the 10th minute when, following a good move down the left between Thomas McMacken and Dermot Doherty resulted in the latter playing the ball into the path of Anthony Doherty who slipped it home under the outrushing Paddy Harkin. Clonmany began to get a foothold in the game after this setback and forced numerous corners in the middle part of the half which Cathal McElhinney and his brother Mark did well to defend. One of Clonmanys clearer cut chances fell to Jason Doherty but his shot from a narrow angle only found the side netting. Aileach were finding it difficult to get any decent possession at this time and at half time the away side would have felt hard done by to not be at least on level terms.                      Aileach began the second half as they had the first and on 50 minutes a Dermot Doherty cross found his brother Gavin but the no. 10s header from  six yards was dealt with comfortably by Harkin. On the hour Darren McMonagle turned sharply in the box and his well struck shot from fifteen yards brought a good save from Harkin low to his right. On 70 minutes Brendan Devlin got a yard of space in the Aileach box but his rushed shot didn’t unduly trouble McGeady in the home goal. With 75 minutes on the clock and against the run of play Clonmany got on terms when McGeady couldn’t hold a Brendan Devlin effort and Mark McLaughlin was on hand to bundle the ball over the line.  But with 8 minutes remaining  Aileach restored their advantage when Anthony Doherty raced clear on the right and his low cross was controlled by Gavin Doherty before firing high to the net from a narrow angle. In what was overall a scrappy affair Aileach held on for the three  points.

Carn FC                                             1

Culdaff FC                                        3

This was a well contested local derby as they usually are and the home side will feel they contributed to their own downfall a bit. Brandon Browne fired an early effort just wide for the home side before at the other end Cathal McGrenaghan had a powerful goalbound effort headed away by Michael O’Donnell.Culdaff took the lead in the 20th minute after a superb cross from Aiden  Cunningham  was headed low to the bottom corner by Michael Coyle. Cunningham then spurned a great chance on the edge of the area  when he dispossessed home keeper Fergal Doherty but somehow missed an open goal. Carn finished the half the stronger with Conor O’Donnell seeing an effort deflected wide before a great run and cross by Ryan Kelly found Deery but he failed to trouble Darragh McLaughlin.Carn started the second period well and got back on terms after a Cade Cooke free  deflected off a defender past Darragh McLaughlin. Aaron McCarron then collected Browne’s pass but fired into the side netting.Five minutes later the visitors restored their lead when a Paul McLaughlin free came off a defender for Eugene McLaughlin to slot home from close range.Midway through the half Culdaff increased their lead when the livewire Cunningham pounced to dispossess keeper Doherty and this time make no mistake and make it three one. Carn substitute Matthew Mclaughlin then fired just wide from twenty five yards. The final chance fell to the visitors when after Noel McLaughlin released substitute  Gary Collins and he squared for Cunningham who should have done better than drive wide from ten yards.

Strand Hotel First Division

Glengad Res               2

QPS                            3

Glengad got off to a great start in the fifth minute when John McDaid’s free kick released Joe Doherty on the right and his pinpoint cross was slotted home by Gary Kelly from six yards.The point responded well and Fionnbhar Harley flashed a dangerous cross across the face of goal but there were no takers. Then Stephen McHendry  had a fine effort turned round the post by Oran Raymond. Glengad had the last chance of the half when a PJ McDaid effort was well saved at full stretch by Aiden Lynch. Three minutes into the second period Glengad increased their lead after Lynch failed to collect Doherty’s cross giving McDaid the simplest of tasks to slot the ball home. But immediately the point broke forward and Sean Downey rounded a defender and advanced into the area to drill a low shot to the bottom corner.  The point raised the tempo then and got back on terms midway through the half when McHendry unleashed an effort which was parried by Raymond but Caolan McColgan pounced to drill the loose  ball home. They completed an amazing turnaround minutes later when McColgan’s cross found Harley who had time and space to control the ball and fire low to the corner. Glengad pushed hard in the closing ten minutes with McDaid denied by a fine save from Lynch and McDaid’s corner tipped onto the bar by Lynch before being cleared.

Buncrana Res                     3

Gleneely Colts                   3

Despite both teams starting this match with great attacking intent it was twenty minutes before either keeper was tested when Darragh O’ Connor’s header brought a fine save at full stretch from Gleneely keeper Eddie Mc Namee. The opening goal came a few minutes later, Corey O’ Brien broke down the right and his cross fell to Billy Mc Cann who side footed in from six yards. Buncrana almost equalised a couple of minutes later when  Michael Doherty’s cross caused pandemonium in the Gleneely defence but Oisin O’ Flaherty could not take full advantage. The equaliser came three minutes later when Dale Kerr rose high to head home. Gleneely responded immediately and Corey O’Brien gave Hearts’ keeper Mc Daid no chance from twenty yards. Gleneely could have extended their lead but both Billy Mc Cann and Iarlaith Mc Laughlin found Mc Daid more than equal to their close range efforts. O’ Flaherty brought Hearts back on level terms in the thirty seventh minute when he latched on to a long Hearts’ clearance out of defence, out stripped the Gleneely defence and rounded the keeper to score from a narrow angle. Both sides had further chances to take a lead into the break but on each occasion keepers were equal to the challenge.


The second half was similar to the first a lot of attacking intent but again we had a long wait for a goal to arrive, on sixty six minutes Gleneely’s Nathan Mc Laughlin latched onto a poor Hearts’ clearance and drilled home his shot from the edge of the eighteen. Hearts’ responded and after a series of corners Brendan Halpin volleyed home the equaliser in the seventy fifth minute. After this both sides chased the winning goal with Hearts’ O’ Connor and Calvin Gallagher having the best of the chances.

Sea Rovers                          2

Aileach Res                         1

In the early stages both William Logan for the home side and Sean McHugh for the visitors were off target with free kicks from the edge of the area. Aileach then went close with Conor Bradley firing wide when well placed and Stephen Doherty shooting just over the bar. Rovers responded with Kieran Doherty sending Conor McGeoghaghan racing clear but he should have done better than fire wide. The visitors took the lead midway through the half when McHugh’s ball into the area took a wicked deflection on its way past Glenn Watson. On 33 minutes Rovers Damien Harkin saw an effort tipped over the bar by Ciaran Bradley  and William Logan scored directly from the resulting corner. On the stroke of half time  Bradley kept the game level with a fine save from Oisin McGonagle. Rovers dominated the second period with McGonagle firing one effort into the side netting before seeing another one well saved by Bradley.  Rovers then took the lead  on 61 minutes when a brilliant solo run by Keelan Doherty ended with him slipping the ball low past Bradley. The home side continued to press and Evan Mclaughlin saw his shot from a tight angle crash off the post before in the final action the same player saw an inswinging corner cleared after a scramble.

Rasheney FC           0

Cockhill Youths      2

The first half of this game was a dogged affair  with both defences well on top and neither keeper even troubled for the duration. The second half was in start contrast to the first with plenty of action.On 48 minutes Cockhill’s Christpher Duffy floated in a free kick which fell nicely for Jack McDaid but he fired wide from a good position. Rasheney had a good spell then with Eoin Sweeney heading over before the unmarked Sean McCarron failed to hit the target when he got on the end of a John McLaughlin delivery. Good work then by Charlie Doherty saw his cross pick out John Grant but he fired narrowly wide. Cockhill responded and broke the deadlock on 75 minutes when a superb cross from Shane A Doherty found substitute Adam McLaughlin and he headed home at the  back post. Three minutes later a Cian Downey ball over the top released  Eoin Deery and he fired low past Kieran Friel. Both sides had late chances with Charlie Doherty denied by Cockhill keeper Declan Caldwell while in the final action Friel made a good stop to deny Jack McDaid.

Division Two      

Dunree Res                         1

Rasheney Res                     0

In an entertaining game Dunree had the upper hand from the outset. Michael Grant went close with an early effort well saved by Declan Grant in the visitors goal. Dunree took the lead on 18 minutes after a great through ball from Grant found Jamie Brosnan and he slotted low to the bottom corner. Michael Grant then had a chance before the break but fired wide when well placed. Dunree had the first chance of the second period but Eamon Fullerton dragged his effort across goal and wide. Rasheney rallied and Corny McCole had two efforts late in the game but the home defence stood firm to claim the points.

QPS Res                    1

Cockhill Res            0

The only goal of the game arrived in the 4th minute when Jack McConalogue played a one two with Paul Grant  to race clear and finish low past Stephen Porter from ten yards. Cockhill came well into the game and Gary Breslin was twice denied by fine saves from Liam Lyons in the home goal. Cockhill started the second period well with Christian Donaghey and Ryan McDaid prominent the home side were forced back with Lyons denying both Breslin and McLaughlin  denied by fine saves from Lyons. The young keeper then made a superb save to keep out a Mark Gillespie header from point blank. The point were dangerous on the break with McConalogue, Ronan Lafferty and Sean McColgan all taking good saves from Porter. Cockhill pressed hard  but the home defence stood firm.

Carrowmena FC                 2

Greencastle Res                5

Greencastle began well and raced into a two goal lead when Joe Doherty rounded Brian Houghton to slot home before Doherty’s corner was headed home by the unmarked Tom Heuston. Carrowmena responded and Finbar McCallion fired just wide before from a tight angle Drew Crumlish saw his effort crash off the post. Greencastle increased their lead in the opening minute of the second period when Andrew Peoples got on the end of Doherty’s cross to steer the ball past replacement keeper Mark Doherty. Substitute Puaric Gillen made it four nil on the hour with an effort from the edge of the area which was aided by a slight deflection. When John McDermott was upended in the area Daniel Rowan stepped up to despatch the penalty past Doherty. Carrowmena stuck at it and got a couple of consolations goals back.  Firstly Sean McGrenaghan converted a penalty in off the post after Crumlish had been upended. Then late in the game another Crumlish effort was parried by Seamus Bovaird but Anthony McDermott was on hand to slot home.

Carn Res                   5

Redcastle Res        5

Christy McDaid sidefooted home a Christopher Diver cross to give the home side the lead in the 10th minute of this high scoring encounter. They doubled their lead minutes later when a Matthew McLaughlin cross was deflected off a defender and into the net.  But Redcastle got a similar goal after Alan Clarkes effort deflected past Dean Mason in the home goal on the half hour. The visitors equalised before the interval when Ronan Hoy converted after the home defence failed to clear. Hoy then fired a brilliant twenty yards effort to the top corner to give the visitors the lead but Carn levelled again when Diver released McLaughlin to race clear and fire high past Ryan McCole on the hour mark. Carn regained the lead when Niall McGuinness sent McLaughlin clear and he finished cooly to the corner. But once again Redcastle replied with a Terry McColgan cross sidefooted home by Brendan Murphy from eight yards.It looked all over when Carn went five four ahead on 86 minutes after a great cross from McDaid found Diver who got in front of the defender to side foot home. On the stroke of full time Redcastle struck to salvage a point when McColgan again caused problems for the home defence on the right before crossing for Cathal Crumlish to head home at the back post.

Donegal Signs Division Two Shield Semi Finals

Moville Res             6

Aileach Youths       1

Moville began this game in great style and opened the scoring on 11 minutes when Jack Ferry played a one two with Ciaran Diver and advanced to drill a superb effort to the top corner from the edge of the area. Diver then went close twice when firstly denied by Ryan Fox in the visitors goal before then heading an inswinging Pearse Doherty corner just wide.  But on 23 minutes a poor clearance by the visitors was seized on by David Walker to fire high to the roof of the net  from twenty yards.A long Graham Doherty ball released Danny Murphy who calmly advanced and slotted low past Fox to make it three nil. Aileach responded and reduced the deficit before the break when Brendan Hegarty pounced on a poor clearance to finish superbly past Maurice  McGeady. Moville continued on top in the second period and added a fourth goal on the hour mark when Ciaran Diver beat two defenders and advanced into the area to drill low to the corner. Aileach s task got  almost impossible then when they had Ryan Doherty dismissed for a second caution on 68 minutes. Moville  added their fifth then when Diver’s cross was superbly headed home by Dermot Harkin. They completed the scoring after great work by Diver saw him tee up Christy McGeoghaghan to slot home from close range and advance to the final.

Clonmany Res        1          Clonmany win 6.5 in sudden death penalties

Illies Res                  1

It was the visitors who started this game the better and were unlucky to see a John Pio Donaghey header crash off the bar before a teasing Joe McDaid cross eluded all. Clonmany replied on 18 minutes when a Conor Doherty cross seemed destined to find Nathan McKinney who was denied by a timely intervention by Liam O’Connor. But Illies resumed on the offensive and when Ronan Hegarty beat two defenders his low cross just eluded the sliding Donaghey. Midway through the half Illies forced a number of corners and from the last Martin Donaghey rose high to head home and give his side the lead. Donaghey was forced to retire injured on 36 minutes and this coincided with the home side getting back into the game. On the stroke of half time  a Paul Mclaughlin free into the area fell perfectly for Gavin McDaid who volleyed through a crowd of players to the bottom corner. The second half did not contain as much goalmouth action as defences were generally on top. On 70 minutes  got on the end of a right wing cross but fired straight at Liam McGonigle in the home goal. Clonmany then almost snatched the win on 83 minutes when substitute David McGonigle cut in from the left and pulled the ball back to Pearse McCarron but his low effort was well saved by  Graham Doherty and send the game into extra time.