Match Reports Sunday 21st August

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 21st  August

Clubman Shirts League Cup 

Moville Celtic 2

Greencastle FC 2

In good conditions in front  of a big crowd at the Bayfiled  Greencastle took an early lead after a speculative Brenan Moore effort from twenty five yards deceived Taylor Clarke in the home goal.

Moville settled and when a Jake Moran through ball looked like falling to Jack Mullan Greencastle keeper Conor Brown advanced to push the ball away. At the other end another Moore effort from distance was well saved by  Clarke. Gerry Gill then found Michael Henry but he fired narrowly wide when well placed. Moville responded with Moran going close before they equalised on the stroke of half time after good work by Bradley Callaghan set up Moran to slot home from close range. The second half was a cagey affair. Greencastle s Odhran Kennedy had a long range effort gathered by  Clarke. The visitors took the lead after an hour when Michael Barrs long ball was parried by Clarke allowing Moore to bundle the ball home.  Barr then had a  great chance to extend their lead but his attempted lob sailed just over the bar. Moville salvaged a point in the final minute when good link up play between Michael McNaught and Norbert Indyka ended with McNaught firing past Brown to secure a draw and leave the group wide open.

Buncrana Hearts 1

Cockhill Youths 0

Cockhill had the first chance of the game on 3 minutes after a Garbhan Friel cross found Conor Allen but he headed well over the bar. Buncrana responded and in a similar chance  Kieran Mc Daid s cross found Matthew Brown but he failed to hit the target. The home side opened the scoring on 8 minutes after Paul McDaid found Christopher McKinley who laid the ball off to Sean Mullan (Pictured Right)to fire low past Eoin Colhoun. A superb back heel midway through the half from Mullan  found McKinley but from eight yards his effort was well saved by the legs of  Colhoun. Buncrana had more possession but found clear cut chances hard to come by . On 41 minutes Cockhill had a great chance on the break when Adam Duffy ‘s ball over the top found Conor Graham  but his shot was well saved by Rory Kelly in the home goal. The second half was a tighter affair  with defences generally on top. Cockhill had the first effort of the second period on 59 minutes when Friel cut in from the left and unleashed a powerful effort which Kelly  turned round the post at full stretch. On 72 minutes a superb pass from Mullan released McDaid who beat two defenders but was unlucky to see his shot crash off the post. McDaid then had the final effort of the game when he saw his free kick turned round the post by Colhoun as the holders recorded  a narrow but deserved victory.

Buncrana Hearts

Cockhill Celtic Youths

Glengad United 4

Culdaff FC 1

Glengad got off to a dream start in this local derby when they took the lead on 8 minutes. James McKinney fed Owen Doherty whose  first time cross  reached Terence Doherty on the edge of the area and he rounded a defender and keeper  Martin McLaughlin before slotting home. Doherty went close again then when he got on the end of a Ryan McLaughlin cross only to see his  effort shave the outside of the post. The home side increased their lead when they were awarded a penalty for a harsh handball decision and McKinney fired low to McLaughlins left  in the 20th minute. Culdaff rallied and after a Peter Doherty free kick found Ben Curley his effort was turned round the post by Ciaran Gallagher. From Dohertys corner the ball fell to Dillon Ruddy at the back post and he fired low to the  corner to reduce the deficit.  But before the interval Glengad restored their two goal advantage when Doherty raced onto a ball over the top, rounded two defenders before slotting low past McLaughlin. Glengad had the first chance of the second half when Owen Doherty advanced on the right and crossed for Stephen Harley who fired over. They increased their lead on 70  minutes after good interplay between McKinney and Doherty ended with a neat lay off for John G McDermott to drill a superb shot low into the  bottom corner from twenty yards. Culdaff to their credit battles to the end and Thomas O’Brien saw a free kick parried at full stretch by Gallagher before substitute Noel McLaughlin also had an effort saved. The final chance fell to the home side when Calvin White found Doherty  but he blazed over from close range.


Group   A

P W D L F A Pts
Greencastle  FC 1 0 1 0 2 2 1
Moville Celtic 1 0 1 0 2 2 1
Illies Celtic 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Group    B

Buncrana Hearts 1 1 0 0 1 0 3
Cockhill Youths 1 0 0 1 0 1 0
Aileach FC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Group       C

Glengad United 1 1 0 0 4 1 3
Culdaff FC 1 0 0 1 1 4 0
Clonmany Shamrocks  0 0 0 0 0 0 0


Charlie O Donnell Cup

Carn FC 0

Redcastle United 2

 There was little between the teams overall and a young Carn side will learn from the experience of playing  at this level. The home side  carried the greater threat  early in the game and on 11 minutes Cian Burke pounced on a defensive error but failed to hit the target when well placed. The same player than had another clear sight of goal on 22 minutes but blazed over from fifteen yards.  Redcastle grew into the game and took the lead on the half hour when a Brendan Murphy snapshot was well parried by Daniel McDaid  but the ball fell to Darragh McConway who opened the scoring with a diving header. The second half  saw defences on top with few chances at either end. Both Burke and Cade Cooke saw half chances well blocked by the visitors defence. Redcastle sealed the points late on when they earned a free kick on the edge of the area after a breakaway and Shaun Curran curled a superb effort around the wall and into the net to seal the victory.

Gleneely Colts 0

Dunree United 6

Dunree opened their campaign  with a resounding victory over a disappointing Colts side on Sunday afternoon with a Mark Moran hat trick the highlight of the game. Dunree began on the offensive pinning Gleneely into their own  half while forcing a number of consecutive corners but failed to score in the early part of the game. Dunree opened the scoring in the 20th minute through a shot from Mark Moran from outside the box. Dunree kept the pressure scoring again in the 30th minute through Mark Moran with another shot into the bottom corner. Gleneely tried to respond  but were caught out with a long ball over the top past the defence for Jamie Brosan to run onto and round the advancing keeper and slot home to an empty net. Bernie  Doherty pounced again with another shot in the 43rd minute giving Dunree a four nil lead at half time. At the start of the second half again Gleneely failed to clear giving  Bernard Doherty the opportunity to score the fifth goal for Dunree. Gleneely substitute Darragh  O’Connor came on and  had  two good shots but Dunrees goalie saved them on both occasions. Mark Moran piled more misery on Gleneely with a great third goal completing his hatrick as he jinked his way through Gleneely defense and scored a great solo goal. 

Greencastle Youths 2

Buncrana  Res 1

In a keenly hard fought  contest  Dylan Dohertys Greencastle outfit got their cup campaign off to a winning start in good conditions at Chapel Lane. Buncrana took the lead after 20 minutes after a through ball was played to Stephen McHugh who slotted low  past Pauric Gillen in the home goal. Greencastle got the equalizer a short time later when a dangerous corner from Kyle Harkin found its way to Tony McClenaghan who hammered it home from six yards. Greencastle then took the lead 10 minutes before the half when a great cross from Simon McGuinness found Brendan McClenaghan whose volley flew  perfectly into the bottom corner.  Buncrana  responded and had the last chance of the half with an effort from Stephen McHugh which sailed over the bar from outside the area.The second half started off much the same as the first as both teams tried to gain the upper hand. Buncrana were first to threaten and  had a great chance when Hugh Aaron McGonagle was put through but his low shot produced a fine diving save from Pauric Gillen to keep Greencastle in the lead. Gillen then made another great save low to his right as Eoin McNamee had a good effort for Buncrana after a mazy run into the box. Midway through the half Greencastle had a period of pressure with three corners in a row but strong defending from Buncrana kept them at bay. The last 15 minutes of the game saw Buncrana keeping the pressure on Greencastle, searching for an equalizer but the Greencastle defence held strong to start of their season with a win.

Group   A

P W D L F A Pts
Redcastle United 1 1 0 0 2 0 3
Carn FC 1 0 0 1 0 2 0
QPS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


Group    B

Dunree United 1 1 0 0 6 0 3
Gleneely Colts 1 0 0 1 0 6 0
Aileach Res 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Group       C

Greencastle Youths 1 1 0 0 2 1 3
Buncrana Res 1 0 0 1 1 2 0
Clonmany Res 0 0 0 0 0 0 0