Match Reports Sunday 21st April


Good Friday 19th April

Buncrana Credit Union Cup

Cockhill Youths      4-2      Moville Celtic     AET

Cockhill Celtic FC advanced to the semi-finals of the Buncrana Credit Union Cup thanks to a 4-2 extra-time win over Moville Celtic FC at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds.

In a perfect night for football it was the home side who started on the front foot and within 5 minutes had the lead. Cockhill’s young fullback Cian Downey was brought down by Conor Doherty in the left back position and Ronan McLaughlin produced a great delivery into the danger area only to see it creep into the net at the back post with Ryan Coyle in the Moville net unable to do anything to keep it out. Coalan Doherty was proving to be a danger upfront for the visitors and on 15 minutes he let fly from 25 yards but the shot was no trouble to Kyle Dougal in the home goal. Cockhill produced the goal of the game on 27 minutes when Cian Downey, Jack McDaid & Christopher Duffy all combined down the right to release Downey who produced a wonderful deep cross to the back post for Darragh McDermott to nod the ball home from 2 yards out with keeper Coyle again unable to do anything about the resulting goal. Cockhill defender Adam McCarron and Movilles Caolan Doherty had a right tussle in the opening period and McCarron had to recover well to make a saving tackle on Doherty on the half hour mark when the big striker was through on goal. Moville introduced Norbert  Indyka  at the start of the second period going three at the back pushing Finn McLaughlin into midfield. They bossed the opening 15 minutes of the second period without creating any real chances but did get a goal back on 58 minutes when Coalan Doherty scored from the spot after Ronan McLaughlin was adjudged to have fouled McNaught in the box after the home side failed to clear a corner. Moville had the momentum now and started to get more decent possession as Cockhill sat deeper and deeper. On 80 minutes Moville levelled matters again from the spot when referee Terrance Moyne adjudged Jack McDaid to have fouled Caolan Doherty; Doherty grabbed the ball and made no mistake as he scored down the middle past the dive of Kyle Dougal. Cockhill scored after 4 minutes of extra time when a Ronan McLaughlin corner was nodded home at the back post by Adam McCarron. As Moville pushed hard to level matters Cockhill broke and sealed the win 4 minutes from the end of full-time when Jack McDaid raced clear on the right and after Michael Owen Dohertys  effort was saved inside the six yard box Darragh McDermott was on hand to slam the ball home from 4 yards to seal the victory and a trip to St. Patricks Park, Carndonagh for the semi-final tie

Strand Hotel  Division One     

QPS                            2

Aileach Res             0

The point started well and had the first effort on goal when a Ross Nicholas free kick from twenty five yards was well held by Dylan Clarke in the Aileach goal. The home side opened the scoring on 36 minutes when Stephen Harley ‘s cross was slotted home from six yards by  John McCluskey. Aileach replied and a good run and dangerous cross from Ryan Wilson was well held by Oisin Burke. After the break  Wilson had a great chance to equalise but headed straight at Burke from close range. The point increased their lead on 68 minutes when good work by Shaun Downey resulted in his cross finding Joe Johnstone to slot home  from six yards. Aileach had the final chance of the game but an Eamon Browne piledriver just cleared the crossbar.

Inishowen Engineering Division  2B    

Carrowmena FC     3-1      Culdaff Res

The game was played in perfect conditions at The Warren, Carrowmena. Carrowmena started well and caught Culdaff cold when Declan McGuinness struck as early as the 3rd minute when the ball broke to him in the box and he curled a beautiful effort into the top corner giving the visiting keeper no chance. Culdaff looked to get back on terms immediately and Niall Fildara (McLaughlin) had a fine headed effort tipped over the bar by Michael Noone in the home nets. Jack McLaughlin did make amends when Matthew Crampsie in the middle of the field picked out McLaughlin and he turned the home defence to finish coolly from 12 yards.

The game was evenly contested thereafter with both teams creating chances but unable to convert. Carrowmena did however get back in the lead just before half time when Bob Kane coming in from the left crossed for Declan McGuinness to get his second. The second half seen Culdaff exert more control on the game as they searched for an equaliser, being well marshalled by Paul Mills and Mick McLaughlin in the visitors defence. Carrowmena were restricted to fewer chances and looking to catch Culdaff on the break. Carrowmena’s defence was frustrating Culdaff as Andrew McLaughlin and Raymond Campbell were dealing well with the aerial threat that Culdaff were showing. Carrowmena weathered the storm and got the goal that game them breathing space and end the game as a contest. Gerard Gill provided a pinpoint corner for Declan McGuinness  to head home to get his hatrick and make it 3-1 on 84 minutes.

SUNDAY 21st  April

FAI Senior Cup Preliminary Round

Glengad United                 1

Home Farm                         1                      (Glengad win 5-4 on pens)

Glengad United made history at the Crua on Sunday when they became the first club from the league to qualify for the first round of the FAI Senior Cup. They started well with Stephen McLaughlin flicking the ball into the path of James McKinney inside the area and when his cross was cleared back to McLaughlin a defender just nicked the ball away before he could shoot. McLaughlin  then threaded a ball into Terence Doherty but keeper Mark Osbourne advanced to gather. The visitors replied on 12 minutes with Brandon Kamel and Eoin Murphy combining but the latter fired into the side netting. They created the first clear chance of the game on 33 minutes when Murphy dropped deep and threaded the ball into Ollie Cahill who bore down on goal but his effort was blocked behind by Daniel Mullarkey. Glengad finished the half the stronger with Adam Byrne’s header across goal causing confusion before McLaughlin’s corner glanced off the face of the crossbar. The visitors had a double chance on 57 minutes when the ball broke inside the area on the left to Fintan Kerins who fired past the far post where Kamel almost on the end line fired back across goal but into the arms of Mullerkey. Murphy then had a snapshot off target before Mullarkey parried a Darragh Deegan shot to substitute Matthew McEntee who really should have scored but headed into the side netting. Glengad responded and broke the deadlock on 80 minutes after a superb Michael Byrne pass found Stephen McLaughlin and he blasted a shot in off the under side of the bar. But Home Farm pressed on and equalised four minutes later after Deegan’s cross was flicked on by Murphy to Padraig Gilsenan who cut in and drilled low to the bottom corner. A brilliant run past two defenders by McLaughlin took him into the area but Osbourne saved with his legs in the final minute.Home Farm had the best chance early in extra time after Deegan advanced into the area on the left but fired straight at Mullarkey.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana Hearts               0         

Greencastle  FC                 10

Buncrana were well in this game upto half time but after being reduced to ten men before the break they capitulated in the second half. Jamie McCormick headed an early chance over for the visitors before at the other end Aaron McDaid fed James Quigley but he fired straight at Dylan Doherty. Michael Henry then had a long range effort saved by Eoghan O Doherty before  McCormick fired narrowly wide from twenty yards. The deadlock was broken on 35 minutes after a superb Stephen Grant cross was headed home by Nigel McMonagle. McMonagle then doubled their advantage when he volleyed home a McCormick cross. Buncrana were dealt a blow then after Keelan Dillon was red carded for an off the ball incident but Aaron McDaid fired narrowly wide before the interval. In the second half Greencastle ran amok with Michael Barr and Christy Hegarty both scoring twice and James Henry getting a hat trick while McMonagle also completed his hat trick.

Hannon Greene Fr O’Gara Cup    

Aileach Youths                   0

Cockhill Res                        1

Played in perfect conditions, both teams struggled to impose themselves on the first half with chances few and far between.  Aileach came closest ten minutes before half time when Darren Bradley miscontrolled when well

placed.  The second half opened up a little more and on the hour Aaron Doherty had a good chance when he raced clear but Stephen Porter in the Cockhill goal came out and smothered the ball as Doherty was about to shoot.  Cockhill had a half chance when Kevin McDaid played a diagonal ball to Gary Breslin who shot straight at Clarke in the home goal.  With 10 minutes to go Ryan Wilson went on a mazy run before firing from 25 yards that Porter could only parry but the Cockhill defence reacted to clear. James Wallace then advanced from defence and fired just wide of Porters  post.  With the game stretched, chances were inevitable and in the final minute, Tristan Donaghey got free in the box and fired towards goal where Clarke made a great save, Donaghey’s follow up was also saved by Clarke but this time the rebound fell to the feet of Gary Breslin who slotted into the unguarded goal for the winner.

Dunree United                   1         

QPS                                    3

The visitors avenged their league defeat at this venue last week and opened the scoring five minutes in after a defender misjudged a cross allowing Deaglan Bowen to slot home. They added a second goal minutes before the interval when Aaron McColgan fired a stunning twenty five yards effort to the top corner. But Dunree rallied and reduced the deficit on the stroke of half time when Ryan Bradley headed home a Darryl Moran corner. The second half was a very tight affair . Dunree should have equalised when Jamie Brosnan broke clear but his effort was well saved by Liam Lyons in the point goal. The visitors then sealed the tie late on after Shaun Downey pounced on a loose ball inside the area to drill home.

Clonmany Res                    3

Rasheney FC                       2

The home side started well and a David McGonigle cross found Conor Doherty who headed over from ten yards.They took the lead on the half hour after John Porter blocked down an clearance  and fed Doherty  who fired low across Kieran Friel and into the bottom corner. Matthew Brennan then played quick fire one twos with Dessie Doherty & Paul McLaughlin but fired over the bar. The pressure then told with Alex McFadden releasing  Michael Devlin  and he finished superbly to make it two nil. But Rasheney got a goal back on the stroke of half time when Conor McDaid advanced into the area on the left and drilled low past Liam McGonigle. In the opening exchanges of the second half McGonigle fired wide when well placed for the home side before at the other end a John McLaughlin lob was just clawed away by Liam McGonigle. Rasheney got back on terms on 61 minutes when McLaughlin converted a penalty after John Grant had been impeded in the area. Clonmany upped the tempo after this with Brennan volleying a Paul McLaughlin cross over the bar. They struck for the winner on 75 minutes when substitute Caolan Farrell ‘s cross fell to Conor Doherty who calmly rolled the ball into the bottom corner. With Rasheney pushing hard Clonmany broke late on with Thomas Comiskey  squaring the ball to Dessie Doherty but his effort crashed off the post.

Cockhill Youth        3         

Moville Celtic         1

Cockhill Celtic Youth advanced to the semi-finals of this years Hannon & Greene sponsored Fr O’Gara Cup Q/F thanks to a hard fought 3-1 victory over Moville Celtic FC at Druminderry, Illies earlier on Easter Sunday. Cockhill, aided with a strong breeze in the opening 45 minutes, had to weather some early pressure from Moville who started well with both Coalan Doherty & Michael McNaught causing a few problems for the ‘home’ defence. Cockhill did settle and opened the scoring from a corner on 28 minutes when Ronan McLaughlins delivery was headed to the net by Odhran O’Brien-Daly at the back post past the helpless Ryan Coyle. Cockhill started to boss the play now and almost got a second on 35 minutes when Darragh McDermott beat Ryan Killen to a through ball by Adam McCarron only to see his effort go wide of the advancing keepers left hand post. Moville started the second period with a desire to get a high tempo in the game. They got level on 53 minutes when a delivery into the box by Shane Canning caused panic in the home defence and when the ball was only half cleared by Cian Downey the second ball back in by Finn McLaughlin was headed towards goal by McNaught and while keeper Kyle Dougal got a strong left hand to the ball the linesman awarded the goal much to the delight of the visiting team. Moville tried hard for the next 20 minutes to get in front but the young Cockhill rearguard stood up to every challange that was thrown at them. Cockhill stuck with a goal somewhat against the run of play on 70 minutes when a long range effort from Jack McDaid was spilled by young Ryan Coyle who could only watch to see Cockhills McDermott pounce to tap the ball home from 3 yards. Moville started to go direct then and Cockhill hit them on the break on 82 minutes when Duffy released McDaid on the left wing and the forward exchanged passes with McDermott before chipping a delightful pass to substitute Eoin Derry, on for the injured Ronan McLaughlin, at the start of the second period composed himself to rifle a right footed effort to top corner of the net giving Coyle no chance.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A     11am

Greencastle Res                4

Moville Res                         1

​​​​​Moville had the first chance of the game when Colin Doherty played the ball out to Matthew McLaughlin on the right wing whose dangerous cross was cleared by Kevin McLaughlin. David Walker for greencastle then headed over from a Joe Doherty corner. Moville James Gillen then crossed from the right hand side for Pauric Skelly who headed just over the bar. A Joe Doherty free for greencastle was then well saved by Maurice McGeady. A Josh Gillen cross from the right was cleared by Pauric Gillen and James Gillen 30 yard effort came off the top of the bar for Moville. Greencastle went 1-0 up when Andrew Peoples gained possession in midfield, played the ball through to Ronan Doherty whose first effort was well saved by Maurice McGeady but he calmly slotted the second effort home. Dave Walker then headed just wide from a Joe Doherty corner after good wing play from Ronan Doherty. Moville had another chance on 20 minutes when James Gillen battled for possession on the right wing, played the ball in to Matthew McLaughlin and his half volley from 15 yards out came off the top of the bar. Greencastle went 2 up on the half hour mark when a low Joe Doherty corner curled in with the outside of his foot was drove home by Dave Walker in a crowd of players 6 yards out. Pauric Skelly for Moville then had a long range effort go just wide. Greencastle increased their lead to 3 when Jude Harkin played the ball up to Joe Doherty whose first time pass played in Ronan Doherty who raced to the byline, cut inside, beating  two defenders and hit a powerful finish to the keepers bottom right corner. Moville then had a long free from Graeme Doherty go just over Pauric Carey Dohertys crossbar. The first chance of the second half fell to the home sides Ronan Doherty who shot just over after being played in by Adam Harkin. Moville got back in to the game when they were awarded a hotly disputed penalty after a tackle on Josh Gillen. The Graeme Doherty penalty low to the right was brilliantly saved by Pauric Carey Doherty, but from the follow up the ball was worked out to the right wing and a deep Graeme Doherty ball in sailed in to the top corner. With 18 minutes of the half gone Adam Harkin had a shot well saved after being played in by Joe Doherty. Moville sub John McGeady broke in to Greencastles box but Shaun Cavanagh cleared the danger as he was about to shoot. Greencastle went 4-1up when the excellent Dave Walker broke from defence evading a couple of challenges and then passed in to Andrew People’s who played it out to Ronan Doherty on the left wing who again cut inside and hit a stunning effort to the bottom left corner giving Maurice McGeady no chance. Adam Harkin then had an effort tipped around the post. Moville had another chance when a Josh Gillen corner went across the 6 yard box but nobody could get a touch. Play swung from end to end for the remainder of the game, with Moville never giving up and creating several chances, and Greencastles Joe Doherty rounding the keeper but his effort came off the bar. This was a tough game from start to finish but Greencastles finishing, including a Ronan Doherty hat trick secured a 4-1 victory and the 3 points.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B     11am

Carn Res                   2         

Illies Res                  3

Illies had the first chance on 9 minutes when Brendan Doherty dispossessed  the defender and laid it off for Ronan Hegarty who shot low to the right but was well tidied up by Jack Nelson in the Carn goal. Carn responded on 22 minutes when Conor Doherty released Paul Stevens on the right wing and he crossed it for Niall McGuinness who shot low to the left and wide from 10 yards. Illies broke the deadlock on 28 minutes when Liam O’Connor passed to Shane Devlin on the left wing who rounded the defender and shot low but it was parried away by Nelson and the rebound fell to Joe McDaid who slotted it into the bottom of the net from 8 yards. Carn nearly got the equalizer on 34 minutes when Kyle Cooke released his brother Dayton on the right wing and he crossed for Christy McDaid who headed over the bar from 10 yards. Illies doubled their lead on 43 minutes after Dominick Doherty played a great pass to Shane Devlin on the right wing and he laid it off for Brendan Doherty who slotted it to the bottom right corner of the net from 15 yards.





Carn pulled one back on 52 minutes when Dylan Cooke released sub Ryan O’Donnell  who laid it off for Christy McDaid to drive a powerful shot to the top right corner of the net from inside the 18 yard box. Illies got another goal on 58 minutes when Dominick Doherty broke on the left wing and squared it for sub Joe McLaughlin who rounded the defender and drove it to the bottom right corner of the net from 10 yards. Carn reduced the deficit again on 65 minutes when Conor Doherty released Christy McDaid who rounded the defender and shot low to the right corner of the net from 10 yards. Illies nearly  made it 4-2 on 78 minutes when Shane Doherty made a great run on the right wing and laid it off for sub Ethan Doherty who shot low to the right and wide from 12 yards. Carn almost salvaged a point minutes  before the end when sub Ryan O’Donnell broke on the right wing and crossed it for Paul Stevens who laid it off for Conor Doherty but he fired wide from 10 yards.

Rasheney Res         3

Dunree Res             2

Dunree had the upper hand for almost all of the opening half and led at the interval. However, the home side dominated the second period and ended up with the 3 points. Early attempts for the visitors fell to Ryan Toland whose long range free was comfortably held by Roger Mc Gilloway and to Bryce Fullerton whose looping effort was just wide. They took the lead midway through the half when, following a corner, the ball was cleared out as far as Toland and his goalbound shot was glanced to the net by Fullerton. Dunree came near to scoring a second when a long looping delivery to the back post found Toland but his delivery back across the face of goal could not find anyone to apply the finishing touch. Then Toland sent in an inviting cross from the right wing with T.J. Mc Kinley volleying first time over from the penalty spot. Two goals arrived in the final minute of the half. Firstly Marius Owen Noone was fouled about 22 yards out and from the resulting free Tiernan Mc Donald fired to the net for the equaliser and right from the kick off Mc Kinley made a strong run along the left before cutting in and firing towards the target but Mc Gilloway advanced to parry with the ball breaking to Jamie Brosnan who had the simple task of driving into a gaping net. The home side came more into the game after the break. Mc Donald delivered a number of precision corners right in on keeper Fitzpatrick and from one of these the ball came off an under pressure defender and nestled in the net to make it 2 – 2. Shortly afterwards a backheader from Matthew Duffy came off the crossbar and the same  player was then brought down for a penalty which was converted by Tiernan Mc Donald. The home side continued to press without adding to the score. Dunree could have levelled it late on when Ciaran Lynch’s effort came off the woodwork