Match Reports Sunday 20th November

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 20th November   

Ulster Junior Shield 

Rashenny FC 2

Greencastle Youths 3

Second division Rashenny started this game very well with Peter Doherty(S) seeing a dangerous cross tipped away by Evan Davenport in the visitors goal.

Superb crosses then  from David McLaughlin and Ryan Doherty eluded all attackers  before McLaughlins shot on the run  sailed just over the bar.  However the home side were dealt a blow on 25 minutes after John Grant received a red card for  off the ball altercation. From the free kick for Greencastle Kyle Harkins free came off the wall to Shea Doherty who  blazed over. The home side had a let off in the 34th minute after Brendan McClenaghan advanced through the centre evading a couple of tackles and saw his low shot hit the inside of the post before rolling across the line and cleared. But the home side ended the half well with John Mclaughlin seeing an effort tipped over by Davenport.  Rashenny then took the lead on the stroke of half time  after David Mclaughlins cross from the left found brother John  on the right hand side of the area and he placed a superb effort inside Davenports right hand post. In a brisk start to the second half Harkin had a free saved by Sean Friel in the home goal before Ronan Farren fired over . The home side hit back and  Ryan Doherty had one effort deflected wide before on the hour mark the same player saw his free kick  deflect off a defender and past Davenport to double Rashenny s lead. But Greencastle upped the tempo thereafter with Ronan Doherty seeing an angled effort saved by Friel  before the same player burst into the area and shot low across Friel to the far corner on 72 minutes to reduce the deficit. Two goals in as many minutes turned the game on its head and saw Greencastle advance to the next round. They equalised on 78 minutes when a misplaced pass in the home defence allowed Tony McClenaghan to intercept and thread the ball through to Christy Hegarty who fired past Friel. A minute later  Shea Doherty drove a powerful low effort to the bottom corner from the edge of the area to stun the home side.

Clonmany Res 4

Buncrana Res 2

Clonmany took an early lead in the third minute when Jake O Donnell pulled the ball back for Mark Mclaughlin who fired past Oran McBride with the outside of his right foot from sixteen yards. McLaughlin then had one effort cleared off the line by Jerry Gill before seeing a dipping shot crash off the post with McBride stranded.  Buncrana settled and got back on terms in the 16th minute when Liam Jordan pounced on a loose ball to drill past  Kieran Friel from sixteen yards.  Ten minutes later Jordan collected the ball on the right and advanced across the area  before firing an angled  effort back across Friel to the far corner and give the visitors the lead.  But the home side equalised within minutes when Paul Mclaughlins free kick into the area found Mark McLaughlin to glance a fine header past McBride. A desperate scramble in the Buncrana area then saw McLaughlin hit the post before the follow up was also cleared off the line. The visitors had  the final chance of the half when Jack Soal s effort was well gathered by Friel.  Clonmany regained the lead seven minutes after the restart when Mark Mclaughlin controlled a long ball and crossed for  Gavin McDaid to sweep the ball past McBride from fifteen yards. Buncrana responded and Eoin McNamee was denied by Kieran Friel at full stretch.  Clonmany then increased their lead  on 75 minutes with a superb goal. O Donnell fed McLaughlin who in turn found substitute Niall McLaughlin on the right and when he crossed Mark McLaughlin continued his run to slot the ball home and complete his hat trick. Buncrana to their  credit kept going and had two good late chances. Firstly Paul Mullan had an effort superbly saved by Friel before the same player headed  over the bar when unmarked inside the area.

Pictured is Mark Mc Laughlin who scored a hat trick for Clonmany Reserves today

Redcastle United 3


This local derby began well with the Point s Sean McIntyre cutting inside and laying the ball off to Josh Boyle whose low effort was well saved by Michael McCole.  They threatened again after Jack McClean released Mark Murray but again McCole was equal to the task.The home side replied midway through the half when Stephen Grant crossed for Marc Bell to unleash a volley just over the bar.  At the other end Sean Lynch made good ground and crossed for Boyle who failed to hit the target when well placed. Redcastle then broke the deadlock before the break after a Shaun Curran corner was headed out by a defender to Grant who fired high into the top corner from the edge of the area. The home side began the second half well and increased their lead in the 53rd minute when Grant outpaced a defender and crossed for Jack McConalogue to hammer the ball past Oisin Burke. McConalogue then added his second and the home sides third goal on 68 minutes heading home from another superb corner delivery by Curran. The visitors were dealt a further blow in the 75th minute when Boyle received a red card.        

Aileach Res 3

Donegal Town         0

IN a dour first half the home side had a couple of half chances with Stephen Doherty firing straight at Henderson in the visitors goal  before Stephen O  Donnell cut in and unleashed another effort but Henderson was equal to it. The visitors responded before the break with an Adam Wilson corner finding Tom O Grady whose header was well saved by David McGeady.The game opened up in the second half and on 52minutes Stephen Doherty headed a Paul McGrory cross over from close range. The visitors then spurned a gilt edged opportunity after O Grady was upended in the area but Kevin Hickey blazed  over the bar from the spot. Within minutes Aileach had taken advantage of this left off when Doherty released  Sean McHugh who opened the scoring with a deft flick over Hendrson.  They added a second goal minutes later when a corner broke to Conor Bradley at the edge of the area and he drilled through a crowd of players to the net. They sealed the tie late on with Keith McColgan breaking clear and  squaring for Doherty to slot home.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Greencastle FC 0

Buncrana Hearts 0

In an entertaining clash at Chapel Lane the home side started well with Brenan Moore firing just wide before Michal Barr headed a Gerry Gill free just over the bar. Buncrana responded and Sean Mullans first time effort from twelve yards was well saved by Conor Browne.  James henry headed over from a corner for the home side but the visitors had a good chance with Aaron McDaid cutting in from the left had side and unleashing an effort which Browne saved well. The visitors had another great chance after Mullan rounded the home keeper but his goalbound effort was cleared by Ciaran Diver . Both sides had efforts on goal before the interval with John Timlin denied by  Browne while Moore saw an effort saved by the legs of Rory Kelly as the half ended scoreless. Two minutes after the restart an inswinging Kieran McDaid free kick was punched clear by Browne. The home side replied  with Henry and Moore combining to release Nigel McMonagle  whose effort was just off target. Mullan then was unfortunate when his header from a corner was deflected wide. Both teams were reduced to ten men in the final minutes with Calvin Gallagher and Nigel McMonagle  sent off in separate incidents as the game petered out.

Moville Celtic 1

Aileach FC 0

After an even opening to the game the home side had the first chance with a Jack Mullan effort turned round the post by Matthew Gallagher. Aileach responded with Darren McMonagle firing straight at Taylor Clarke in the home goal from a good position. Aileach had a good spell then with Gareth McGkynn denied by Clarke before Denver Kelly dragged an effort past the post. Moville s best chance of the half came minutes before the interval with Aaron McGurk  evading three tackles but seeing his effort well saved low to his right by Gallagher. Moville had the first chance after the break when Mullan fed Michael McNaught but he fired over the bar. Aileach responded with Aaron Nash firing narrowly past the post before Shane McMonagle fired straight at Clarke when well placed. Nash then had a great chance when he rounded Clarke but from a tight angle his effort was cleared by Ryan McColgan. It was all Aileach at this stage with McGlynn heading over after good work by Keelan Doherty. Against the run of play the home side took the lead on 80 minutes after good work from Shane Deery saw his cross pick out Bradley Callaghan who volleyed low to the bottom corner. Aileach threw men forward  but the home side held on for a vital three points.

Glengad United 2

Clonmany Shamrocks 3

In an entertaining game the home side started well and when Fergal Doherty  crossed to Joe Doherty his first time effort crashed off the bar. They had another chance when good interlink play between John G McLaughlin and Terence Doherty saw the latter race clear only to be denied by a brilliant save from Kevin McLaughlin. Clonmanys first chance arrived on 40 minutes after Aaron Harkin pounced on a weak back pass but fired wide from the edge of the area. Harkin made amends within a minute when after a Pearse  McCarron effort came off the crossbar Harkin reacted first to head past Seamus Doherty in the home goals. Glengad had the first chance of the second period when John G McLaughlin controlled a long clearance on the right and his first time cross found Terence Doherty who  fired over the bar from fifteen yards. Clonmany had a purple patch then and increased their lead with Paddy Doherty combining with substitute Aaron Porter who cut inside and fired low past Seamus Doherty. They had another chance after a Jason Devlin effort was well parried by  Doherty but Pearse McCarron fired wide from eight yards.  On the hour mark Clonmany made it three nil with McCarron converting a penalty after he had been upended and the game looked all over.  But on 73 minutes Glengad reduced the deficit when Terence Doherty slammed the ball home following a Stephen McLaughlin corner. They then got another one back in the 81st minute after a John  McDaid free kick fell to Ryan McLaughlin who volleyed home. The home side poured forward in search of an equaliser  but the visitors defence stood firm.

Culdaff FC 2

Illies Celtic 3

The home side started this game very well and Conan Mclaughlin fired just over the bar from twenty yards  before Jack McLaughlin went close with a well struck effort just wide. Both teams had to make early substitutions after Conana McLaughlin and John Campbell suffered injury in an accidental clash of heads. Culdaff continued to press and an Aiden Cunningham cross was headed just over by Michael Coyle. The home side got the breakthrough they deserved on 38 minutes when Jack McLaughlin fed Darragh McCormick on the left and he evaded the challenge of the advancing Johnathan Noone before  slotting home from a tight angle. Illies  responded with Liam Doherty firing narrowly over the bar from inside the area. But Culdaff had the final chance of the half when Jack O Briens free kick found Jack McLaughlin but his effort  was brilliantly saved by  Noone . In as much as the home side were on top in the first half the visitors dominated  long periods of the second half .  They equalised in the 55th minute with a stunning goal. Brendan Doherty flicked the ball over a defender and met the dropping ball with a stunning twenty five yards volley to the bottom corner past Zach Conlon.  David Doherty then  waltzed past three defenders but saw his twenty yards effort crash back off the post before Paul Doherty fired narrowly wide from eleven yards. Culdaff tried to respond and McLaughlin saw a snap shot well saved by Noone. But Illies  took the lead then on 66 minutes after Sean McCallion headed the ball into the path of Liam Doherty who finished superbly with his left foot. Culdaff rallied and got back on terms after Ryan Greenes volley  from a Cunningham free was well parried by Noone but the alert Mclaughlin slid in and finished to the roof of the net from five yards. But Illies struck for a late winner on 88 minutes after Liam Doherty s cross was powerfully headed home by  David Doherty from six yards.

Strand Hotel First  Division   

Dunree United 3

Gleneely Colts 2

The visitors searching for their first league win of the season led by two goals to nil with half an hour remaining but  a stirring fight back from the home side saw them clinch the points.In the early exchanges Christy McDaid forced a good  save from Philip Doherty in the home goal while at the other end Oran Raymond  denied Bernie Doherty. The home side went close then when Daniel McLaughlin ran clear  but dragged his effort wide. The visitors stunned the home side then when they broke the deadlock when the home side cleared a corner to Nathan Doherty who fired s brilliant thirty five yards effort to the top corner. Gleneely  then were unlucky after Shay Harkin raced onto a free over the top and  after his initial effort was saved by Doherty his follow up was cleared off the line by Jamie Brosnan. Before the break Mark Moran fired into the side netting for the home side after  good work by Tommy Mulhern. Mulhern then had the first chance of the second half but was denied by a fine save from Raymond. Gleneely  doubled their lead then  after breaking down the right hand side with Harkins deep cross slotted home at the back post.  But the home side got back into the game midway through the half when Bernoe Doherty curled a free kick from wide on the right around the wall and into the bottom corner. They equalised minutes later with another set piece this time Liam Baldrick curling a free kick to the top corner from the edge of the area. The momentum was all with the home side after this and on 78 minutes a corner fell to the unmarked McLaughlin at the back post and the comeback was complete. The colts almost snatched a leveller from the centre with McDaids effort from half way tipped over the bar.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    

Redcastle Res 0

Cockhill Res 1

Cockhill started the match well but found Aiden Lynch in the Redcastle net hard to beat, commanding his area well from a number of dangerous balls and long range efforts.The closest Cockhill came in the first half was a Michael O’Connor header from a Connor McDaid corner which went inches wide. Kevin McDaid also warmed the hands of Aiden Lynch from 20 yards as he diverted the shot over the bar.The last chance of the half saw Aiden Lynch produce a stunning reflex save when a low driven cross by Connor McDaid deflected off a Redcastle defender but still Lynch kept it out. Cockhill continued to press in the second half and saw a number of chances go begging with Dylan McDaid, Luke Bradley and Shane McLaughlin all going close. With 20 minutes to go Cockhill finally made the breakthrough when Kieran McIlroy got on the end of a good delivery from Connor McDaid to bullet home a great header from eight  yards. 

Redcastle’s best chance came shortly after from a free kick but Mark Farren’s 25 yard effort sailed just over. Cockhill did well to manage the game in the closing stages and see it out for a hard earned win.


Glengad Res 2

Dunree Res 1

Glengad started this game well with both Caolan McColgan and Brian Houten going close. They then took the lead in the 15th minute after a Matthew Mooney  corner was  not cleared by the Dunree defence and Cian Doherty fired high past Oran Doherty from eight yards. Dunree came more into the game before the break with Daniel Downey s cross finding Tiernan Moran who headed wide with the goal gaping. Dunree were on top after the interval as well and it was no surprise they levelled on 52minutes  when Jerry Farrells corner was headed high past Danny McGonigle by  David Eccles.  They continued to press and both Farrell and Downey had efforts saved by McGonigle as the home side reeled. But Glengad weathered the storm  and struck for the winner  on 77 minutes. Mooney broke on the right hand side and pulled the ball back  to Patrick McLaughlin and when his effort was well parried McColgan pounced to drill low through a crowd of players.


Carrowmena FC 0

Sea Rovers 6

The home side were no match for a rampant Rovers outfit who opened the scoring on 14 minutes after Matthew Harley released Andrew Gallagher to drill low past Michael Noone who got a hand to the ball but could not prevent it crossing the line. They increased their lead in the 22nd minute with Oisin Hasson  controlling Harleys cross before stepping inside and firing low past Noone. On the half hour Ciaran Doherty picked out Daniel Gallagher who finished superbly to the bottom corner from sixteen yards. Harley then beat his man and his looping cross  was headed home by Doherty at the back post. On the stroke of half time Joey Holland released Conor Gallagher on the right and his low cross was swept home from twelve yards by Andrew Gallagher to make it five nil at the break. A combination of the visitors easing off and the  home side upping their game with  Sean Duffy , Kevin McLaughlin and substitute Adam Harkin prominent saw the game being more competitive. But the visitors got the only goal of the half on 89 minutes when substitute Conor Kelly converted an Oisin Gallagher cross from twelve yards to complete the scoring.

Illies Res 0

Moville Res 2

The home side started this game well and had two good chances  in the opening half an hour. Firstly on 13 minutes Pearse Doherty crossed from the right  found the unmarked Oisin Lynch but he steered the ball wide. Lynch was then unlucky on 28 minutes when he raced clear onto Shane Canning s ball over the top but saw his well struck effort crash off the post. Illies responded before the interval with Ronan Hegarty breaking into the  area but his effort was well saved by Stephen Teles. The visitors broke the deadlock on 51 minutes when Conor Lafferty curled a twenty yards free kick around the wall and into the bottom corner past Shane Sharkey. They doubled their lead midway through the half when David Faulkner rose highest to head Laffertys corner to the roof of the net. The home side tried hard to get back into the game but the visitors saw it out to claim the points.

Culdaff Res 1


In blustery conditions in Caratra Park, under the lights – Culdaff entertained QPS Youths. An early chance fell to the home sides Mack Manny when he connected well with a Eugene McLaughlin corner  but Stephen Slattery saved well. Culdaff would break the deadlock in the 29th minute, Niall McLaughlin slipped Niall Gordon through, making his way to the by-line  and he pulled the the ball back to McLaughlin who fired home from 7 yards. Culdaff’s lead was short lived. Six  minutes later, a throw-in from Adam Harkin to Josh McLaughlin whose cross  found the head of Tomas McConnalogue to head past Dermot Callaghan. The second half was devoid of clear cut chances with respective keepers Callaghan and Slattery not found wanting when called upon but with defences on top the game ended all square.